[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my uncle gave me his old busted Desktop. Pic related. Fou
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (409 KB, 1218x2515) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
409 KB, 1218x2515
So my uncle gave me his old busted Desktop. Pic related. Found out everything works fine except the HDD. The specs are outdated though, is there anything I can do to make this machine better or should I just scalp a few parts and junk it?

Here are specs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147177
>>
Change to faster better ram. I'm not sure if it will take 16gb

Change power supply

Put in a graphics card

SSD with fresh windows install
>>
Op here sorry wrong link. Here is the correct one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147576
>>
>>55363217
And change to better fans
>>
throw in a 40$ ssd, install ubuntu and shitpost with it
>>
File: guts_shitty.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
guts_shitty.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>55363154
>Old busted
>Newer HP model
>i7
>8 GB RAM
>DDR3
>Entry gaming GPU
If you don't need it sell it.
>>55363247
Otherwise do this, you don't even need Linux. I did it with mine, 50 € Phenom 9600 > 940, 4 GB DDR2, 120 GB Samsung SSD and adapter. It works fluently now on desktop. I'll get it a better PSU and install some entry grade GPU like a 650Ti. This is going to be my backup and guest machine.
>>
>>55363409
>It works fluently now on desktop
You don't have a firm grasp on the English language. Go back to whatever Slavshit country you're from and kill yourself.
>>
>>55363430
kill yourself
>>
Is it possible to actually put a decent graphics card in here if I change the power wattage or am I going to just need to change the whole motherboard.
>>
You can get away with the 8GB RAM fine.

That old Gen i7 is still relevant to the current mid tier CPUs

Put newer video card in it, on a budget, something like a gtx750, bit more money, get a gtx 960
The current PSU will swing it.
SSD, if the HD is shot, buy a samsung EVO 850, can get a 256GB around a hundredish. Its worth a little more to not buy a shit cheap SSD that you cannot rely on.

IF you choose to drop like 30 bucks on a CHEAP as sin SSD, do yourself a favor spend another 30ish on a 1TB HDD to store your stuff on WHEN that cheap as sin SSD dies.

If you don't currently have anything better. The little bit of money you would spend on an SSD and a decent Video card are a good investment if you move to something down the road. You will at least have those updated compenents.

game on man
>>
>>55363154
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147576

Shit, this would run linux just fine and let you do basic productivity, email, web surfing, and maybe some basic graphics.

Just throw a cheap SSD in and enjoy. Stop turning your nose up at free stuff. Your uncle did you a favor.
>>
>>55365753
Thanks man, this is mostly what I'll do.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.