[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RX 480 Mosfet cooling How does it work? If I want to add a c
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: 1467400616881.png (389 KB, 667x544) Image search: [Google]
1467400616881.png
389 KB, 667x544
RX 480 Mosfet cooling
How does it work?
If I want to add a custom cooler to the reference RX 480, then the report says I also absolutely need to cool the mosfets on the board. However, it just tells you to get a mosfet cooler from an older card. I don't have one, so I have to get it from somewhere else.
Will ones like these work? Do they need a specific size? If they're too big, they won't fit, right?
https://www.amazon.com/Jibrael-Aluminum-Heatsink-Cooling-Spreader/dp/B010KAOWXU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1467406701&sr=8-6&keywords=gpu+ram+cooler
>>
>>
Since they're bigger than the mosfets, I have to glue them on somehow like this, right? Sounds retarded
>>
File: AMD-Radeon-RX-480-8GB-6-pcgh.jpg (874 KB, 2560x1708) Image search: [Google]
AMD-Radeon-RX-480-8GB-6-pcgh.jpg
874 KB, 2560x1708
Another pic with the heatsinks removed
>>
>>55362980
>How does it work?
It works by keeping the temperature lower than what they can handle. We don't know the losses (TDP) MOSFETs have on AMD's boards so can't say shit for sure.

With enough airflow the shit you linked might be okay, but I can't say for sure. I don't know the exact numbers on the area of cooling surfaces nor the power they need to dissipate etc so I can't even calculate that shit.
>>
File: bite the pillow.jpg (328 KB, 2560x1708) Image search: [Google]
bite the pillow.jpg
328 KB, 2560x1708
>>55362980
depends on how "neat" you want it to look
if you are ok with nigger rigged shit, using a couple of nylon strips to secure the passive cooler in your pics would do just fine, that main cooler will blow air over it so its all fine
but if you have some tools (drill + saw) you can fashion something like
>pic related
from that passive cooler, which you can then mount properly onto the card
gl
>>
>>55362980
>>55363000
That mosfet cooler in the pictures is from an Asus Radeon HD 7970 Matrix Platinum.
>>
>>55362980
Why put a aftermarket cooler on a reference RX 480?
>>
>>55364056
reference coolers are for retards
>>
just niggerrig it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9QvMAiJS4
>>
>>55364099
this
>>
>>55363034
Never knew it was this short. It'd probably make for a good itx build if it wasn't AMD
>>
>>55364099
Reference RX 480 PCB is for retards.
>>
>>55364320

970 was a good ITX card, so the 480 will be pretty good too
>>
File: wew.png (933 KB, 841x724) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
933 KB, 841x724
>>55364149
This guy has put some huge as fuck heatsinks on them. Didn't find something like those on amazon.
>>
But the refrence is so starved for power why put all this effort into it
>>
lol FETs are such old tech. when are they going to start doing power delivery over the cloud?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.