[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>operating system requires yearly subscription >operating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10
File: cantwakeup.jpg (82 KB, 680x827) Image search: [Google]
cantwakeup.jpg
82 KB, 680x827
>operating system requires yearly subscription
>operating system scans all the text on your screen to give you "recommendations" aka ads
>new hardware doesnt allow older operating systems

What else is next?
>drivers require subscription
>browsers inject ads every hour of browsing done
>>
>>55358784
Install Gentoo
>>
>>55358794
>must use 10 year old cpu you bought from aliexpress

This is the future Im talking about. New cpus doesnt allow gentoo to be installed, and vendors dont sell old cpus anymore because they are not "secure"
>>
>>55358925
CPUs will never be like that.

Free market guarantees it
>>
>>55358966
Really? The same free market that has exploded the use of smartphones, the least free hardware ever created? Personal computer hardware not found in phones that's not completely locked down only exists now because it has been free in recent memory and people would actually be upset about it. Over time, it will slowly disappear, and the consumer won't notice, like a frog in boiling water.
>>
File: nested feel array.jpg (21 KB, 277x329) Image search: [Google]
nested feel array.jpg
21 KB, 277x329
>>55359146
>tfw this is true
>>
On a side note, does S&D Beacon work?
>>
File: 3.jpg (60 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
60 KB, 700x700
>all the isps are now big brands like google, microsoft, amazon etc.
>you must be using a device approved by them to access internet
>gentoo machines are banned from internet because they pose a a "threat to security"
>they use a software equalavent of 9/11 to justify this
>public eats it like hot cookies
>>
>you must use a proprietary browser (meaning, one that isn't opensource/and or compiled by third parties) to browse the internet
>>
>>55359558
Holy shit. As crazy as this sounds, it isn't even that far fetched.
>>
Next you'll OS will get deactivated if you access torrenting sites
>>
>>55358784
More people should switch to Linux. I didn't like where Microsoft was heading with Windows 10 so I gave Linux a try. The desktop experience is great, I don't know why people say otherwise.
>>
>>55359558
Dont forget that spoofing your adress to look like approved device will be illegal and get you imprisoned.

Daily reminder that every FOSS you use is a step closer to preventing this from happening.
>>
>>55359700
They say otherwise because they are paid astroturfers
>>
>>55359707
Anon, just use Windows 10 you nerd xD
>>
>>55358966
Oh, to be 14 again...
>>
>>55359707
So, basically >>55358794
>>
File: compact.jpg (37 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
compact.jpg
37 KB, 400x400
>you must post with your real name and coordinates in order to prevent cyberbullying
>all smartphones are unlocked by fingerprint scanning
>electronic voting
>hard drives are not sold anymore as everything is done “in the cloud”
>the cheapest watch is a $79.99 smartwatch
>JPEG, PNG, GIF, MP3 and MP4 still used as of 2025
>most prestigious IT schools are JS coding bootcamps with 75% womyn
>>
None of these things are true.
You should probably spend less time on /g/. And more time actually using saod products.
>>
>>55358925
>New cpus doesnt allow gentoo to be installed
It won't happen like that. All it would take to do that now is for computer manufacturers to stop including the Microsoft 3rd party signing key for Secure Boot and disable the ability to turn off Secure Boot. The later could easily happen with the next version of Windows as Secure Boot went from recommended for manufactures to support with Windows 8 to required for manufactures to support with Windows 10 and Microsoft already has mandated that all ARM based Windows devices not give the user the ability to disable Secure Boot for years now.
>>
>>55359558
Gentoo isn't free as in freedom™
>>
File: very rare pep do not steel.png (35 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
very rare pep do not steel.png
35 KB, 300x300
>this thread
>>
>>55358966
>>
>>55363036
i stool it
>>
File: WELL FUG XDD.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
WELL FUG XDD.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>this whole thread
>>
Problem with this:

1. Nearly every web server uses Linux or BSD.
2. The most popular hardware for servers is x86-64, because it's dirt cheap and powerful.

Server companies will demand Intel not lock down their CPUs, and allow them to run their own operating systems.
>>
>>55365581
If you meant to respond to >>55358925, this anon has a better explanation for how it would happen: >>55362995
>>
>>55358966
>>
>>55365581
So intel will not lock down their CPUs for only approved server operators. Youre a consumer? Enjoy your 10 year old server hardware just so you can use linux
>>
>>55363023
Yes it is. (((Stallman))) is just in denial.
>>
File: 1466729240570_0.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1466729240570_0.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
>>55359700
>Adobe Suite /CSP/SAI
>>
File: 1445295322763.jpg (832 KB, 1066x886) Image search: [Google]
1445295322763.jpg
832 KB, 1066x886
>>55359558
>the ultimate cancer-filter is thus created
>escaping the mainstream now requires technical competency
>shitposters, summerfags, and normies absolutely BTFO
>no more half-assing the issue pretending things will get better
>you're either a good productive goy or you break laws and actively subvert the pigs
>nearly all of the alienated young talent that was on the fence suddenly goes into the underground
>alternative protocol stacks quickly gain more traction as security rises above all other concerns
>pirate wmesh networks begin popping up in local communities
>serious work starts being done on open source hardware as ancient non-backdoored hardware becomes harder to procure
>/devilish/ as fuck blackhats routinely pound mainstream services and actively target infrastructure out of spite
>weeb turbo-autists figure out how to flash custom firmware onto their walking talking sexbots
>not long after ghetto-rigged combat firmware becomes shareware and is actively developed
>literal fucking Autoreivs are now literally a thing
>you're already breaking laws so you might as well pick up an extra AR for your qt3.14 small-arms platform
>pigs start routinely dying when making arrests for tech related ''''crimes''''
>things escalate rapidly over the next couple of years
>with the economy on the brink of collapse and a culture / race war about to go hot these latest escalations become the flashpoint for everything
>civil war erupts and the cyberpunk dystopia goes post-apocalyptic

I'm perfectly ok with this tbqh senpai.
>>
>>55366867
Just like my Japanese animes.
>>
>>55366867
tbqh I'm okay with any scenario that leads to the long-overdue race war. the Earth must be cleansed.
>>
>>55358794
He did it again, he's a mad man
>>
>>55366374

>Approved server operators
Yeah, no one is going to fall for that bullshit. Just say "I'm a small business owner; sell me a server you cunt."
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.