[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BTSync
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: url.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
Anyone uses BTSync actively?
Is it reliable?

Using Dropbox now - I used Onedrive for a long time, but they took out placeholders, and there is no versioning either. So I switched to Dropbox, because it is available on any platform. (And meanwhile I keep paying my Office subscription too, fml.)

Now, I pay 10$ / month for 1TB.
With Btsync, I would need my own dedicated machine, again, that's like 13$ with a 1TB drive.

Pros / Cons:
- I would need a dedicated machine that I had to keep updated, make sure the HDD is OK.
- Corruptions could happen and I am not sure how the 'Archive' would handle this. Archive is basically where you crap goes when versioning, and on deletion.
- Always need one machine up to reach my files from mobile remotely, for example.
+ Could use placeholder like syncing, btsync works like this.
+ Could re-sync from local NAS fast.

How do you guys see it?
>>
>>55357030
Used it for like 2 months last year, but a lot of my files got overwritten by their older versions when they got updated. I didn't have time to babysit it, so I just uninstalled it.

Prepare to read up on linux file permissions if you're gonna run it on a linux server, because nothing works out of the box and you have to configure everything yourself. I guess that's pretty much expected though
>>
all this proprietary bullshit
>>
>>55357030
I use a raspi and syncthing
>>
>>55357326
syncthing, seafile, owncloud, they all work like crap.
Maybe owncloud / seafile would be "do-able", if you had the budget of building your own OpenStack.

Now if you read my post, I mention 10$ there.
Not 100.000$, not even 10.000$.
So that narrows things down a little bit.

Honestly, for sync, anything would work.
What do you need anyway? A keepass database?
The problem is the rest of the files.
ADrive was fucking awesome, used it for a while. Rsync, sftp, super comfy. But it's very pricey, compared to other alternatives.
And even if you rent a server, unless it's a VPS at a trusted provider (which is no 100% guarantee), your files will never be secure.

>>55357314
So PC A had an older version, PC B had the newer, and it still replaced the file with the old, A's file?
That's fucking weird...
>>
Syncthing nowadays works better and it's FOSS.
>>
>>55357625
Does it have placeholder files?
>>
>>55357030
Tonido?
>>
>>55357030
>paying 10$ for Tb
>not using Infinit
>>
File: wut.jpg (235 KB, 1215x945) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
235 KB, 1215x945
>>55359079
you mean this broken site?
or Dropbox Infinite?
>>
>>55360617 Yes. And their site is ok.
>>
>>55360617 But wait, you need infinit.sh not .io
>>
>>55360730
>>55360811
Oh, that explains a lot. Wanted to say that I don't really want to send files.

> Note: Our Windows version is not publicly released yet. You can sign up to our newsletter to get informed of the public release!
Hmm. But it looks promising, thanks for the heads up.
I am still a bit worried about file corruption - both from btsync, syncthing and this. Like these all seem to require ZFS + 2 disk at each node with ECC ram to protect from corruption. Seems overkill, but if you think about it... makes sense.

Now I would not mind shelling out more, for example a 2TB Kimsufi server, but I cannot pay for a 2x2TB RAID SyS machine. And fixing RAID1 if it needs fixing with NO KVM, now that's fucked.

So.
Let's jump to btsync or not.... that is the question.
(I would just make the rented server have the "Encrypted" folder and my NAS have a "Read Only" in an encrypted container.)
>>
>>55357030
it's proprietary software, can't use it.
>>
>>55360920
>I am still a bit worried about file corruption
Infinit is similar to tahoe-lafs. Data is stored in encrypted chunks and distrubuted between storage nodes. Their checksum is stored in DHT. If something goes wrong, corrupted chunk will be restored from another server.
>Kimsufi
Do you really need dedicated? time4vps.eu have pretty good storage vps
>I would just make the rented server have the "Encrypted" folder
Btsync can store encrypted data on remote server.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.