[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do people make billions of these circuits and the instruction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
how do people make billions of these circuits and the instruction sets which modern languages can communicate with? how is this shit organized? is it just a redundant array of logical blocks that perform division, multiplication, bitwise movements,and indexing? it's so baffling that we went from candle lit dinners to this in less than a century.

where do i start for understanding CPU design and fabrication /g/? i want to make the next most powerful machine. my current understanding is that silicon is mined and melted into a giant ass tube that then gets bisected into discs that have a copper substrate deposited onto it via chemical vapor deposition and then it has another layer of some UV curing material on top of that, from which a UV projection of the IC schematic is superimposed onto the surface, which cures the coating. and then you put it through an acid bath and then the cpu is finished. super rough but im hoping its the right direction at least or i can't trust anything anymore...
>>
We build upon the foundations of others.

Look at transistors, and how the very first CPU's worked.
>>
>>55349919
>not the super high resolution version that allows you to zoom in and study

Pleb
>>
>>55349944
wouldn't it need to be a trillion by trillion pixels in area? it would be the size of maybe two of your pants.
>>
You have to look at the lower level design to understand the big picture. Start with MOSFETs/CMOS. Then logic gates, then basic digital circuits, then advanced Digital circuits (say adders) then basic computer architecture (Arm or Mips can be good to study), then the manufacturing process to implement these archs. Good luck my friend
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvluuAIiA50
>>
>>55349919
if you don't know how this stuff works, you aren't going to make the "next most powerful machine". That takes years of experience and smarts. Start smaller for your goal m9
>>
Look into VLSI design. It's like 160nm tech so older, from like early 2000s, but you can find a book about that.

Also yeah, start with MOSFET transistors. Do you know any boolean logic? Look at that. Look at intro to digital systems. You want to learn about gates, flip-flops, registers, k-maps.

Also you could check this but I think this will be way over your head to start.
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-111-introductory-digital-systems-laboratory-spring-2006/
>>
>>55349919
Start small
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_MC14500B
>>
>>55349960
at what dpi tho???
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.