[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a /g/ part-time job? I got in debt for my phd and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1454449412338.jpg (14 KB, 200x248) Image search: [Google]
1454449412338.jpg
14 KB, 200x248
What's a /g/ part-time job?

I got in debt for my phd and I need money to survive.

>last semester I washed plates in a fancy restaurant but niggard boss was paying minimal wage and refused to increase.

>I can't design websites for shit : I'm in engineering and whilst I can write programs in C, matlab, Python, and script to automate tasks (I felt in the linux meme since I was 15). Should I get into webdesign, I won't peak better than pajeet-tier work in a reasonable amount of time.

>I tried to ask a company I interned in but they are only interested in intern slaves.

What are other options?
I'm thinking to try to meme myself to teach command line to script kiddies wannabe...
>>
Mturk, Kneepads, or invest in revolver and bullet.
>>
>>55349364
sell your butthole on craigslist at 5 bucks per nut

>>>/biz/
>>
>>55349364
How long till PhD is done? Assuming it's CompSci right?
>>
>>55349447
/biz/ is trying to sell me meme coins

>>55349451
2 years. It's in robotics.
>>
>>55349472
That's badass. I don't have any advice, sorry! But that's badass. Hope things work out.
>>
>>55349488
Thanks anyway mate.
>>
>>55349508
Robotics?? Easy. Build and sell(to a company not general public, you'll get sued) a kit version of something that would otherwise have to be hand built each time(racing drone/fpv setup that weighs less than federal regulations comes to mind) maybe something stupid. If your into robotics you should try to use your skills a bit
Inb4 drones aren't robotics
Bitch please, it's closer than washing dishes.
>>
>>55349890
Like I have the money for the motors, sensors, prototyping the parts...
I can't invent anything "that" new without getting full meme entrepreneur.

But yeah, I am confident I can build something that is going to interest some companies in the field... but won't I get into trouble if it's too close to my research topic and my adviser considers I'm using the work of other laboratory members to make money?
I feel more confident if I have a contract.
>>
geek squad
>>
I make $3000/mo as a delivery driver for dominoes pizza
>>
>>55350108
Oh, thanks. I'll try to find something close to where I live.

>>55350130
proof?
>>
>>55350150
If I post proof some fag is going to steal my picture again and claim to be me. Not letting that happen again.
>>
Write a util that you will use on the daily basis. Show that to an employer.
>>
>>55350076
You just solved your own problem. Gj

/spoiler/ get a contract /spoiler/
>>
>>55350248
Did you managed to sell some of your scripts?

if so, did you just send an email like
>I have written a script to automate this this and that at once, permitting the engineer to save xx min yy times a day. Are you interested in a demonstration or making an offer to acquire it?
How much did you managed to get?

>>55350329
Part time engineer is not a common thing. Also, I have to keep in mind that if I work too much, it means higher chances of me needing to extend hence paying the tuition fees one more year.
>>
As far as minimum wage goes, movie theater box office/usher is God tier.

You could barback and work your way up to bartender.

Landscaping can pay decent if you don't mind working outside
>>
Full time NEET
>>
>>55350490
I don't want to work for minimal wage anymore : It takes 16 hours a week (if I don't take any holiday) just to pay the tuition fee at the minimum wage.

I realize I'm in debt so my best choice would be to gain skills in hope a head hunter finds my profile attractive and hires me at a fair price.

I think the only ways to gain such skills are :
>outstanding research results (which isn't the easiest)
>meming myself on github or so publishing each and every socially acceptable stuff I write on my free time and trying to get involved in some "famous" project.
>working a part-time in my field so that my resume looks nice enough.

moneywise, the third option is the most convenient.
>>
You need to go to Trump University and stop being a loser. Be a winner!
>>
>>55351130
Ayy, I could cry about my lowlife family background and how it's unfair that rich kids have a free ticket in daddy's company (which was donald trump's case btw) but it won't change shit.

I'll become a winner when I'd have won the fight of "sustainable income and started a family".
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.