[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hard Drive Issue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: wxb1c12k2211_1.jpg (173 KB, 560x800) Image search: [Google]
wxb1c12k2211_1.jpg
173 KB, 560x800
My friend was getting rid of an old laptop Hard Drive, I asked him if I could have it since the one in my old laptop was dying.

I installed it with Windows XP, but its only recognized by windows as a 130gb when it is a 320gb. The BIOS recognizes it as a 320gb.

The laptop is a Dell thats like 10 years old, I even ran their own diagnostics check and everything passed, except for 3 [of the 8] Hard Drive tests

>SMART status test
>SMART short self test
>SMART thresholds test

Not that it is much of a big deal, this HD is actually in better condition than the one I had in it to begin with.

Anyone have ideas on how to get windows to recognize the true size of the HD, or is the rest of it probably corrupt?

It's a western digital wd3200bekt-75pvmt1 320GB 7200 RPM

I tried to see if there were drivers for it I could update but to no avail, a lot of posts online said you need XP SP3 for windows to recognize "larger" HDs but that hasnt changed anything. Obviously most of these posts were old
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>55343417

you need to upgrade from windows 98..
>>
not your personal support
>>
>>55343490
I just said I had XP

And I have no reason to upgrade and old laptop I almost never use. I just want to have it in working condition in case I need it for something. Which its in except for the HD only being 130 vs 320.
>>
It sounds like the harddrive is partitioned with only an 130 GB partition. Google how "How to partition harddrive Windows XP"
>>
>>55343605
I believe my friend had Windows 7 installed on it, didnt format it or anything.

When I installed and and booted of a XP CD to install I deleted all partitions, but they were still only adding up to the 130gb size.

Is it possible the Windows 7 partition is still on it, but hidden somehow?
>>
>>55343566

ok its a laptop
that means there is a hidden parition on the hard drive. this is your SYSTEM REPAIR image. most laptops come with this recovery partition, it is a image of the hard drive as it left the factory. to restore the laptop to factory fresh.

most likely this is the cause of your issue. you wont see the partition using windows explorer. its hidden for a reason.

you need a partition editor/viewer to see it
>>
>>55343692
>>55343605
Damn guys thanks, I went into Computer Management and yeah I can see the unallocated 170gb
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.