[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Small Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: 1391361851400.jpg (82 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1391361851400.jpg
82 KB, 900x675
/sqt/
Ask your small questions here
>>
Need a second phone for stuff.

Do I go windows or android?
>>
Repost in case anon missed it:

>>55341964
Also why the fuck are they selling W10 keys for $35 while W8 is $15?

W10 is free to download and will accept W8 keys as authentic no?
>>
>>55342195
windows
>>
>>55342201
>>55342195
Answered both in prev thread.
>>
I'm going to be studying compsci in September. If I buy a laptop for classes does it need to be particularly powerful or can I just buy a used Thinkpad?
>>
How powerful are high end smartphones of today compared to the Wii, PS3 and 360?
>>
can we stick to one thread name please
>qtddtot
>small questions thread
>stupid questions thread
>dumb questions thread
>simple questions thread

at least put /sqt/ into the subject
>>
Is it possible to kinda build your own laptop? What are some good guidelines
>>
File: FLOPS.png (625 KB, 666x722) Image search: [Google]
FLOPS.png
625 KB, 666x722
>>55342257
>>
>>55342279
Why does it matter as long as it says sqt? Stupid Question Thread is more popular but Small Question Thread is what it should be. Regardless searching "sqt" will get you here.
>>
>>55342326
no
>>
>>55342330
but aren't flops innacurate to measure what the device can do, since architecture plays a major factor
>>
>>55342348
Yes there are differences in how efficiently you can use the power for different things, but as a basic comparison between very different platforms its the best measurement to use.
>>
My mom's laptop had a pesky Trojan infection. It was undetectable by antiviruses. Yet the hacker had remote control.

1. It was a Trojan right?
2. I reinstalled Windows 10 on the laptop and installed Panda Free Antivirus and made mom use a limited user account only. Will this be enough to prevent future infections?
3. Is it possible for a hacker to install a Trojan without prompting the user? In other words, without tricking the user to grant permission?
>>
Is UDF still the best choice for a filesystem compatible with all major operating systems?
I'm setting up a Linux/Windows dual boot and I want partition with shared files.
>>
>>55342141
put /sqt/ in the subject you flaming faggot

some of us rely on filters in this vast wasteland called /g/
>>
Im pretty sure i just killed my new and old motherboards while changing them

How retarded am I?

Also could I somehow have damaged my new processor if it was mounted while handling my motherboard?

Just kill me now
>>
>>55342468
why do you think that? mobos are pretty hard to kill, cpus even harder
>>
>>55342465
Oh lawdy you had to shift+click to hide the thread? How did you ever survive such a horrific experience!?

Address me like that and I'll keep /sqt/ out of the subject.
>>
Please, tell me why I shouldn't get an iPhone. I'm beginning to think that all the bullshit everyone on this board throws at Apple is this false kind of mind set. Can someone give me an UNBIASED opinion on the SE? It looks fine. I'm not looking for a phone that can pen test, I just want a phone that I can kinda play around with and maybe do some neat stuff.
>>
>>55342410
For example, Apple iPhone 6 can run a PS2 port of GTA San Andreas at a much higher resolution, on top of that with extra graphical effects like reflections and more, while the graph shows it having less flops than the PS2, while reality seems to point the iPhone 6 is way ahead of what a PS2 could do.
>>
>>55342552
If you want to tinker with it then iOS is not the platform for you, Apple tries very hard to squeeze you into their narrow ecosystem. If when you want to do fits inside this vision, you'll probably be happy, but if it doesn't you'll have a hard time doing anything about it.
>>
>>55342552
no directory access is an absolute killer
>>
>>55342488
The new one wont boot, and the old one wont even start at all even when theres power to the grfx card. I tried juggling the RAM, going without the graphics card, checking for bent cpu pins, and so on for the new motherboard.

Also there are two mysterious wires from the front panel only labeled with + and - and with separate connectors (but entwined wires). It's not the power, reset, sound, hdd led or USB wires because those are labled.
>>
>>55342593
Okay, thank you. What would be the best phone to just tinker with, then? chink?
>>
>>55342625
sounds like insufficient or faulty PSU
>>
>>55342141
What is 9 +10?
>>
>>55342640
Something that you can unlock the bootloader on and has community support on XDA
>>
>>55342625
power led? beep speaker?
>>
>>55342663
>>
What's the difference between print and console.log in JavaScript?
>>
>>55342640
honestly the nexus devices are basically a tinkerers dream as long as you can excuse the lack of microsd

the 5x is a pretty damn good deal right now at $239 if the battery life is OK for you
>>
Is there a way to always have the option to display boot menu on Windows 8.1? I want to boot Linux quickly from a Ian, and I hate having to jump through hoops to access the boot menu.
>>
>>55342141
How can I get the default Ubuntu mouse theme in Gentoo?
>>
>>55342682
window.print()
opens the print dialog
console.log()
writes into the console
>>
>>55342681
ooh thnx
>>
What can I use on gentoo to convert manga to .mobi for my shindle??
>>
>>55342755
thanks.
>>
Whenever i try to open a port on my router, it always says the port is closed when i try one of those port checker websites.

But i've discovered that if i put the port into the port checker inside Transmission and then click the check button. Transmission tells me the port is opnened, and the port checker website will now say the port is open as well.

Can somebody explain why this is?
>>
newfag guide to torrenting?
>>
>>55342780
maybe transmission uses upnp to open the port for you where if you do it manually you fuck it up at some point so it doesn't work.
>>
>>55342745
*lan
USB. What the fuck autocorrect?
>>
>>55342838
download torrent client
download torrent file
insert second item into first item
>>
>>55342745
>>55342860
what hoops?
your motherboard should have a key to list all bootable devices and lets you select one.
before it even starts booting windows.
>>
What's the difference between HGST and Hitachi?
>>
>>55342648
pcpartpickers calculator says that I have about 150 watt as margin and it worked just recently

>>55342672
Hdd led is shining, the beep speaker is silent, the mobo was emitting an orange glow, my mouse was glowing but not my epin gamer keyboard, fans were spinning, there was no monitor response no matter what I did. Strangely my reset button didnt work no matter the orientation of the connectors and holding down the power button caused it to restart a few seconds after shutting down.

And my old Motherboard was just dead, though I didnt tinker as much with it.
>>
>>55342861
well yeah but what do I need to use to not be tracked and all?
>>
>>55342930
Hitachi is a huge conglomerate
HGST was part of that conglomerate until it was sold to Western Digital.

>>55342967
VPN
>>
File: 8FORJS1.png (15 KB, 545x143) Image search: [Google]
8FORJS1.png
15 KB, 545x143
>>55342842
I've unchecked upnp in Transmission so that shouldnt be the case.

Pic related is a port that's currently opened according to the port checker site.

But if i try to add another port using the exact same settings etc but another port number, the website says its closed.

It's fucking odd.
>>
Complete electrical retard here, I just bought a 2.0 channel audio receiver rated at 200 W, 100 per channel, @ 8 ohms... I also have separately from a different hand-me-down two speakers with 40 W each @ 6 ohms. Would I brick either my speakers or my new receiver by connecting these and using them?
>>
>>55342975
I was researching about Hitachi/HGST HDDs since around here everybody says WD Red is shit and/or placebo. Also they say WD failure increased.

If HGST was sold to WD, should I stick to research just hitachi?
>>
This is more of a /mu/ question, I suppose, but does there exist a foobar component that will automatically download album covers?
>>
>>55342977
did you open the port in your firewall?
>>
>>55342982
If you ran the amp at full power it would probably fry them, it should be fine if you leave it under 30%
>>
File: qbxosTG.png (108 KB, 381x616) Image search: [Google]
qbxosTG.png
108 KB, 381x616
>>55343106
I have not done anything with the firewall.

Does ubuntu have one that's on by default?

I just installed gufw and it seems like it's off.
>>
>>55343122

Hmm okay, thank you for the response. I think I might wait to buy new speakers then with specs that match. Thanks again.
>>
I have a folder full of various scripts in my path. The files are failing to run, claiming it cannot find the config file,which is in the same folder as the scripts.
What do?
>>
Asked in the old thread, got no answers, trying again.

I want to buy new harddrives for my Server / NAS.
It doesn't run 24/7, I only wake it up via WOL when I want to watch something via Kodi or access some files.
Would it be better to buy desktop or NAS drives for it? Looking at 4TB and 6TB drives right now, probably going for either Seagate (Desktop / NAS) or WD (Blue / Red).
>>
Hello

When I overclock my monitor, it forces constant gpu voltage and memory clock

Is that normal?
>>
Fell for the water cooling meme. Got an h240x and expanded it to my GPU and another fat radiator. I've had the 240x for about a year now and did the expansion about 6 months ago. Today I noticed a slight crack in the plastic lense that displays the water level. No water is visibly dripping but the water level is slowly dropping and one of the screws has what seems to be on it, rust. I'm guessing it's from the interaction from the screw and the biocide.

The real question is this. The novelty of water cooling has taken a big hit since this happened for me. Paired with the fact that every year or so when I get a new GPU I'll have to buy another water block as well kind of makes this seem not worth it. Should I get a dh-15 and be done with it? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Reason I'm thinking the dh-15 is because I plan to keep my 3770k as long as possible which means I'll be over clocking as high as I can.
>>
>>55343538
Since you seem to be concerned about the power usage you might as well use a low power red drive.
>>
I started learning C a while ago. But now I really want to make myself a good programmer. Reading your wiki, seems the God Tier books are the way to go. However, with which one should I start? Suppose I'm a beginner.
>>
what do after the codecademy coding shit? Just read more detailed books?
>>
>>55343604
No.
You didnt do it properly.

WC'ing the cpu is worth it.
>>
Been using my 1080p monitor for both PC vidya and my PS3/WiiU via HDMI. Since those consoles only upscale to 1080, what exactly is gonna happen to the visuals if I try and use them with a 1440p monitor?
>>
What's a good .net library for generating QR codes that can handle nonprinting ascii characters? ZXing is shit and throws an error if there's one in the string.
>>
>>55343787
http://stackoverflow.com/a/9836136
>>
>>55343621
I just think that it doesnt make much sense to leave it running 24/7 when I use it for maybe 1 to 2 hours a day and some days not at all.
>>
Laptop for class.
i5 or i7. I'm running max 3 virtual machines, and it's for general note taking.
>>
How difficult is it to change control boards on a hard drive, and does it have a pretty likely chance of fixing it?

My HDD stopped spinning after replacing my power supply for some reason. It's not my boot drive so it still boots up when the HDD isn't plugged in, but when it is, the PC won't even boot.
>>
>>55344072
i5, i7 are not worth the additional cores. Typing this on a i5, running exactly three debian virtual machines with gnome-shell and all is smooth.
>>
>>55344088
Ouch, perhaps a specialized company can try opening it up and hooking it to a compatible control board. I can hardly see myself do it, unless you buy the same thing and you can somehow unscrew the control board (which I doubt you can).
>>
Can I use a feather duster on any part of my computer case while its unplugged? Can I use it on a case fan that's not connected to the case?
>>
>>55344247
> Fan
Yes
> Any part
Avoid the cpu, ram and all places where memory is present. Why don't you use a vacuum? Static electricity sucks, and these shit can build up quite a lot of it with current peaking pretty darn high. I've never fucked up any parts that way, but I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>55344247
A feather duster will be very staticy, do not use it on static sensitive parts. A fan is not static sensitive.
>>
>>55342141
Is it possible/viable to make a gaming pc out of a chinese box, GPU wise? (considering it has like i3-5 and 4-8gb ram).
hint: PCIExpress support desu
>>
>>55344237
yeah it's terrifying, i also live in a place that's pretty dusty so i dont know if i want to try it.

i did find a place called DonorDrives that will do a PCB swap for around 60 bucks with shipping, and if it turns out to be a different problem, you can just pay for the shipping back to them or you can also have them recover the data for a much heftier price (around the $600 - $2000 range)

should i go for it? all other data recovery services sound like they're around the same price, Geek Squad had it a little cheaper but they also take 6 weeks to return the drive and there's no guarantee that it will be the cheaper tier.
>>
>>55343642
Code some projects, learn advanced concepts like latest Java, Python, some functional programming perhaps. Look into parallel computing.
>>
>>55344428
what?
>>
>>55344304
>>55344306
I ended up using a toothbrush to clean it instead. I read that using a vaccum to suck up the dust can be dangerous (static wise). Just used up my last bit of compressed air too. Any suggestions on what do clean the inside of the case with? Currently only using paper towels and a toothbrush.
>>
File: 1437790751302.jpg (2 MB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
1437790751302.jpg
2 MB, 1224x1632
Why is it called LINUX but not NT (as in Windows)?
>>
>>55342141
is there firefox plugin that stops facebook from tracking you
>>
File: jewgle.png (35 KB, 1360x480) Image search: [Google]
jewgle.png
35 KB, 1360x480
is it autistic to add a small sticker of pic related on my laptop?
>>
>>55344433
TBO I think it's risky, depending on what kind of important data there is on this HDD. If it's sensible, I know I wouldn't be too confident to send them the drive, plus it could get damaged some more in transport depending what company you use. GeekSquad is more safe considering it's bigger and more public company, but then again the price.

My call is if there's sensitive data, I guess I would take the price bullet or destroy it to get rid of it (sucks if there's work stuff, but better that than leaking private stuff). Otherwise given the model I might check out if it can be replaced given you buy an additional HDD of the same model. If there's no sensitive data, it seems like a good option, 60$ ain't that much. But then again, if there's no sensitive data and no important data at all, I would just buy a new one, along with an external HDD for backup this time.
>>
File: sample.png (83 KB, 940x1080) Image search: [Google]
sample.png
83 KB, 940x1080
Pic related is a format to get a building permission. I'm 100% sure that the floors can be done in Autocad, and 99% sure that the frontal view can be done in Autocad too. I need to know if the street map and the information table are supported as well, or if I'm supposed to do it with some other software and them put them together in an image file or something (to print them).
>>
>>55344488
I've used a vacuum fine for many years, but I must specify I have a long nose head which doesn't conduct electricity very well too. For inside the case, with a good vacuum cleaner I never needed anything else.
>>
How can i get rid of that "provide admin permission" bullshit from win 10? i hate this shitty OS but am too lazy to switch back to 7. I dont want to have to go through the security settings for everything and make myself the owner instead of admin, but if thats the fastest way i guess ill do it
>>
File: 20160630_133826.jpg (284 KB, 810x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160630_133826.jpg
284 KB, 810x1440
How does this laptop look in terms of specs and value?
>>
>>55344030
You're going to have to wait for it to spin up and boot the os,you're going to have to wait for services to start
If any part of this cycle errors out, you're going to have to manage it,instead of having your media there when ever you want, with no errors on boot.
There is no reason to not have it constantly running.Shit one be loud
>>
>>55344526
Having a facebook is already entering the inner circle of data collection
>>
>>55344600
If it was important, he would have a backup.
So its just chinese cartoons, and furry fanfic
>>
>>55344656
>Lenovo
Enjoy your spyware
>>
>>55344455
Chinese box, pic related. My goal is to hook up a GPU outside of the box, mounted on a custom little case with all the necessary cooling. My problem is I can't find a chinese box with appropriate PCIExpress. The question is, does it exist or can it be at all done by some other PCIE enabled boards (Thunderbolt 3 support perhaps).
>>
>>55342195
android

>>55342326
there are webstores i think but it's not cheap

>>55342435
yes
>>55342552
you can't do shit on iphone
it's closed system
android is way to go for you
>>55342967
don't seed and you should be fine
>>55344247
best way to clean your computer is compressed air but even that is not 100% safe
>>
>>55343713
What do you mean I didn't do it properly?
>>
File: 1454643296136.jpg (15 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1454643296136.jpg
15 KB, 251x251
Android problem here. Android won't boot. Normally my device would boot in the next order: Phone logo, carrier logo, Android boot. But now it is like this:

>Turn on device
>See phone logo
>Device is infinitely stuck on carrier logo screen

Or, and this is what makes me think this phone is beyond saving:

>Turn on device
>Press buttons to try to access Android's Safe Boot mode
>Phone is infinitely stuck on phone logo screen

I have no idea what-so-ever of how did this happened. I slept with my phone on the bed with me (idiotic, I know) and in the morning my phone was stuck on the carrier logo for what I presume to be quite a while, since the phone itself was dangerously hot.

I will most likely move on, but I hate to leave it at that without knowing why. Also, don't go to sleep with your phone on your bed.
>>
>>55344656

Storage is too low and it's expensive because it's an SSD, that means it's faster than a normal HDD. The touch screen probably adds a lot to the price, but the graphics are bad and processor is meh. If you (1) only want it for work stuff (not gaming) and not for design or rendering tasks, and (2) care about the touch screen and fast storage, but (3) don't need that much storage space, then you could buy it and it would be fine for you. If you don't need those things then you should be able to find better stuff for even less dosh.
>>
>>55344656
>AMD anything in a laptop
Like shit.
>>
>>55344676
as far as i know all it takes it you visiting one site that has like button for facebook to track you
i guess there should be some popular extension for that problem
>>
>>55344551
not if you run gentoo
>>
>>55344710
Just do an ITX build
>>
>>55344759
ublock origin and enable the tracking lists

And you can block them modifying your host list.
>>
>>55344777
I thought I could reduce the price even more with chinese, your point is that it's not possible or not worth the work?
>>
>>55344814
Correct
>>
>>55344784
thank you
>>
>>55344814
You're jewing on a maximum retarded downs jew level.Just fucking build a system.
Fucks sake
>>
File: gayshit.png (5 KB, 235x330) Image search: [Google]
gayshit.png
5 KB, 235x330
Am I retarded or is there a way around copy and pasting directories in basic File IO with Java and python?

Like, if I want to open a simple .txt file and read it line for line, with python I open the whole fucking directory which can get long as hell, and sometimes that doesn't even work. Especially when I want to read and manipulate files in that long ass path.

I'm probably just retarded aren't I
>>
What's a good free/with trial VPN/proxy service? The /g/ approved one?
>>
What would be a good "real" programming language for a Bash wizard? The more similar the syntax, the better..
>>
What can be considered safer:
1) storing passwords and credentials for online services directly in a browser (firefox / palemoon) assuming I use browsers synced on two devices - windows and linux.
2) in a plain text file that is encrypted (not just in an encrypted volume)

Pls no password manager suggestions.
I am not asking about NSA proof, if the state is after you, you are fucked beyond any hope. I am simply trying to prevent a theft of my data.
>>
>>55344600
They are small but they do have a pretty good amount of 5* reviews, about 150 on Google and facebook. I'm in California and sending it to Geek Squad is going to be in Kentucky, and sending it to Outsource is going to be Ohio.

The data on the drive is mostly personal, but there is some graphic design work I had been working on for some bands, nothing worth that $1000 price tag though that I can't just redo.

Also, I have an external, I back it up every few months because I've never had a HDD failure before and didn't see it as a threat. I was going to back it up yesterday on my day off. I'm an idiot.

>>55344700
My chinese cartoons are already on my external, for some reason that is backed up and none of my design work is. Like I said, I'm an idiot.
>>
Where can I find some decent themes for 4chan x, that aren't 2000 years old (aka, not compatable)?

I'd make my own css if I weren't a lazy asshole, but even if I were to make one, I don't know what tags to use
>>
>>55344927
stylish
>>
>>55344771
i run archlinux >:(
>>
>>55343760
Anyone? Is it simply going to make the image look less sharp?
>>
I'm having some issues with my mice as of late. They just seem very unpredictable and I'm constantly overshooting or missing links and other things on the screen during daily use. I'm not sure whether I'm losing my mind or if there's actually something wrong. I've tried looking for other interfering drivers and acceleration but no luck yet. I've even tried fresh installs of Win7. I think the problem might have started with a fresh install desu.

Bought an MX Master yesterday hoping for some miracle. I've had a Func MS3-R2 and a Steelseries Sensei before. I'm also using a Steelseries XXL mat but I can't feel a significant increase in accuracy on other surfaces. A friend of mine told me that it might be because of the polling rate but he's usually full of it.

Is there anything that can help me identify if there's any drivers or acceleration hidden somewhere? Am I just a loon?
>>
>>55342235
There's nothing in CompSci that has real hardware requirements, so look for display, battery, keyboard and weight. Thinkpad sounds good.
>>
>>55344985
If you can just use them to output 720p it'll look great as 720p scales perfectly to your new monitor's resolution.
>>
>>55342235
Thinkpad should be fine, hardware shouldn't matter much. Select for good display, keyboard, battery, weight.
>>
>>55344861
Calm down mate, I was just wondering to what extent a fully built cheap pc could be hooked up to a gpu on a separate rig. Fuck's sake, them jimmies are hurt bad.
>>
>>55342141
First off I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place to ask this, I just thought you guys were the most likley to have experience with this.

I ordered a razer blackwidow chroma from the razer store, it arrived yesterday. Earlier on I'm sat at my desk with a glass of coke and my wife comes past and asks if I want tome ice. She put a couple of cubes in my glass, one of them goes in with a bit of a plop and the tiniest little drop falls on the keyboard. Didn't think anything of it at the time, my generic mechanical keyboard from ebay has survived a lot worse.

It's now a couple of hours later and disaster has struck. The 1 key and everything in a vertical line beaneath it either aren't lighting up at all, or they're lighting in a different colour to the rest. I've tried resseting synapse and restarting the pc to no avail.

I know this won't be covered under warranty, but will razer be able to fix it if I pay for it? Or have I just become the proud owner of a £150 keyboard that will never ever work the way it's supposed to?
>>
File: 1462849770674.png (160 KB, 568x1023) Image search: [Google]
1462849770674.png
160 KB, 568x1023
>>55345074
>>
File: pet_me_bitch_i_dare_u.jpg (319 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
pet_me_bitch_i_dare_u.jpg
319 KB, 1920x1200
i installed gentoo on my friend's computer to show her what she was missing. she woke up screaming and yelling: "what the fuck is this? where's my twitter and insta??". my friends and i are hiding in her house waiting for the storm to subside. when will she be calm to listen to open source wisdom?
>>
>>55345082
Don't eat or drink around your computer.
>>
>>55344904
Meh, then let's do it. I just hope these reviews are legit.
>>
>>55345082
>razer
>keyboard
That was your first problem.
You could take the keys off and attempt to clean it, in a last ditch effort,maybe mask the incident a little if you do send it in for repair.
Where did you buy it from? Newegg/amazon?
Being you just got it, they will throw you a replacement at shipping cost.
>>
>>55344004
That doesn't stop the error, and it puts out UTF-8 encoded data so the scanner wouldn't pick up the control characters anyways.
>>
>>55345131
>computer
>instagram
???
>>
>>55344875
none?
>>
File: success.png (69 KB, 550x947) Image search: [Google]
success.png
69 KB, 550x947
>>55345131
>>
File: cautionary.png (38 KB, 665x277) Image search: [Google]
cautionary.png
38 KB, 665x277
>>55345131
~
>>
How to break into someone's gmail?
>>
>>55345240
keylogger
>>
Is this a decent motherboard for a budget build?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/455510/H170A_PC_Mate_LGA_1151_ATX_Intel_Motherboard
>>
>>55345304
If you stack them they're pretty similar in size
>>
Will the dual core i5 4570t cpu be decent for gaming if I were to buy it?
It's only dual core but it does have hyperthreading so it's got 4 threads at 2.9 GHz, with a turbo boost up to 3.6.
>>
>>55345323
kek'd
>>
What are the consequences of getting a micro atx or other "small" form board?

Is it implied at all that they perform worse?
>>
How does the GTX 770 compare with newer GPUs with respect to performance, temperatures, power drain and technology?
>>
>>55345168
You know what the worst thing is? I'm relativley new to pc gaming, and everyone I know from every game I play was like "mate, don't buy razer gear, you'll regret it". But because I'm a clever bastard and I know fucking everything I ignored them all and dropped £300 on a keyboard, mouse, and headphones.

>>55345168
>Where did you buy it from? Newegg/amazon?
>Being you just got it, they will throw you a replacement at shipping cost.
I bought it direct from the razer store, which I think was a mistake. If I'd got it from a reseller I'd just send it back claiming it was like this out of the box, but because it's going back to razer I'm guessing they'll take it apart, so claiming the product shipped with a small amount of generic store brand cola in it probably isn't going to fly.

I feel really, really fucking stupid now.
>>
>>55345350
It would probably be okay but there are better options at that pricepoint.
>>
>>55345374
They are smaller,so you dont need a full atx card, like a gaymer child.
>>
>>55345374
Fewer ports, possibly more thermal restrictions on overclocking.
>>
>>55345414
thanks friend
>>
File: 0630161752.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0630161752.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
So I've recently discovered that if I plug a usb cord into my topmost port here, it causes some kind of short and the computer freezes. Should I just buy something to cover it up? I've got a soldering iron and a desoldering iron but I am not super experienced with either.
>>
>>55345395
yeah someone is offering me a desktop to trade for my laptop, so I'm not buying the parts.
>>
>>55345440
Get a peice of black electrical tape
>>
>>55345350
>>55345441
Does it have a graphics card? That's the bottleneck you'll run into. Tell us your laptop specs and all of the desktop specs.
>>
>>55345440

Just open it and disconnect it from the inside or something. That shouldn't happen by the way, the problem is not the port or the wire.
>>
>>55345440
are you experienced with sticky notes or tape?
>>
File: offer.png (12 KB, 835x184) Image search: [Google]
offer.png
12 KB, 835x184
>>55345465
here are my laptop specs
>i7 4720HQ (quad core @ 2.6 GHz)
>GTX 965M (2GB)
>8gb ram

pic related is what he's offering me
>>
>>55345379
The 970 gives you 30% increase in performance and draws less power, but your card should be good for a few years still.
>>
File: 1465328013202.png (451 KB, 1264x900) Image search: [Google]
1465328013202.png
451 KB, 1264x900
>>55345512
>maybe 1-2 fps slower at most
>>
>>55345535
Thanks anon. I'll wait.
>>
File: 0630161808.jpg (1 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
0630161808.jpg
1 MB, 2340x4160
>>55345470
>>55345459
That would look like shit. I want one of those rubber things some flash drives come with, but flush.

>>55345468
It's part of a board

>>55345512
If you don't have a spare HDD you'll find the ssd lacking, so maybe you could get him to sweeten it with a 500GB hdd. I wouldn't consider that a terrible deal for either of you. That desktop will beat the pants off your laptop for gaming because of that card.
>>
>>55345614
forgot to mention he was throwing in two 1tb hdd's with the computer.
>>
Any reason im getting almost no DL speed on pretty much all torrents? just DL'ed 2 games on steam and both were going at 5mb a sec, yet most of my torrents barely ever make it past 2 mb/s. The one im dl'ing atm has been going for 10 mins and hasnt even topped 200kb/s yet. it supposedly has 1k seeders, got it from rarbg. I switched to deluge from utorrent because i figured utorrent just went to shit, but my issue hasnt really improved. Any ideas/reasons as to why this is happening?
>>
>>55345379
I'd keep an eye on the new 1070 card.
>>
>>55345614
>That would look like shit
cover the whole thing in electrical tape. you wont have to worry about it looking like shit, you wont have to worry about shorting/freezing your pc again, and itll still probably be cheaper, quicker, and easier than whatever it is you are wanting to do
>>
>>55345634
Sounds like a fine deal to me. How much did you pay for your laptop and how old is it? The setup he's giving you was probably $1000 new and is about 3 years old.
>>
>>55345677
You're getting the shit end of routing.
Are you using dht/pex/utp?
>>
Is there any way I can grab Radeon Drivers without it coming with shitty bloatware
>>
Best online site to do an internet speed test?
>>
>>55345762
Seriously? speedtest.net
>>
>>55345723
My laptop retails around ~$1100 and I bought it for $950.

He didn't mention anything about a case but even without one this would be a pretty good deal right?
>>
>>55345762
speedof.me
>>
Will using Windows only as a limited user account and using Panda Free Antivirus enough to keep me safe from Trojans?

Can Trojans be installed without prompting me for permission?
>>
>>55345747
probably not as i dont know what those are

>>55345775
some isp's give bursts of speed to make simple ones like speedtest show your speeds as better than they are. i use testmy.net, it keeps testing until you get a steady speed
>>
>>55345796
if you dont care about what the case looks like and all that extra BS, you can get a good one for $20-50 on ebay/amazon.
>>
>>55345796
I sincerely doubt he's giving you the parts sans case. It's a fine trade if you aren't concerned with portability, which I assume you aren't since you're interested in the trade in the first place.

>>55345811
Good point.

>>55345717
Just checked, getting these niggers. https://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Black-silicone-anti-dust-stopper/dp/B005LA9FXW/
>>
Just bought the Cooler Master Elite 110 for my home server.

Did I do good, /g/?
>>
>>55345839
>>55345849
Yeah he just replied saying there is no case, but I'm fine with that. I'll have to buy a monitor, keyboard, and case, but that total shouldn't be more than $300 and I was prepared to spend $400 out of pocket anyway.
>>
Is a $300 gaming PC something that I can reasonably build? I was gifted a very nice case a while ago so we can leave that out of the equation.

Just the inside part, can i play most modern(ish) games on such a build? I'm not expecting a 120fps ultra setting Battlefield 4 PC here just a robust one I can casually play on.

Maybe just some 60fps and high settings on games released before or during 2010.
>>
>>55342681

Can anyone verify this?
>>
How to find all personal information of a person online?
>>
>>55345082
Your first mistake was razer. Your second mistake was not unplugging immediately.
>>
>>55345917
No. Unless you're pulling 99% of the parts from other computers, a GPU+CPU are gonna be over $300 by themselves.
>>
>>55342141
what the name of the addon for xmbc to watch pirated shit?
>>
>>55345943
People just dump that shit on the deep Web on anon pastebins. Good luck sorting through that mess though.
>>
>>55345811
Check your connection settings for those settings and enable them all
>>
>>55345317
Anyone?
>>
>>55345917
Ayyy anon, I've got a spare PC with a GTX 460, 6GB of ram, and an i3 I'd sell you for $200. If you live in the Ohio river valley area, that is.
>>
My receiver says that it's impedance is between 4-16 ohms. The only speakers that are available to me are rated at 3 ohms. Will I broke it if I use them?
>>
>>55342141
Sup /g/uys. What's that website that's written entirely in html just to prove that web 2.0 is shit? That one that looks nice and it's fast as fuck. There were two different ones, one older and one newer.
>>
>>55345317
>>55346090
It's not terrible. I hate boards that have a ton of sideways sata ports, but that's just me.
>>
>>55345747
>>55346086
>Are you using dht/pex/utp?
checked my settings and they were all already enabled.
>>
>>55346171
this wasnt an issue until i moved. i never learned much about torrents as i never had to. utorrent worked perfectly for me, and i never had to change any settings. any chance its somehow related to my having a different ISP (AT&T)?
>>
Best mATX mobos? Looking for a good, cheap, skylake motherboard.
>>
>>55345163
yeah the thought did occur to me, due to a couple of the reviews looking a little strange (broken english, poor grammar) but the majority of the reviews looked legit. i guess i'll give it a try, if they try and fuck me over, i'll just have them send it back.

i believe i'm in charge of packing it though. what would be the best way to pack the drive to ensure it doesnt bump around much?
>>
I'm building a NAS / seedbox / maybe some other server related stuff in a Fractal R5 case. I don't know if I should use all the space and get an ATX motherboard or get one of the smaller motherboards / motherboard+cpu combo. And if it's either of the former two, which CPU should I get?
>>
Downgrading Windows 10 back to 8.1, where to get ISO with latest updates?
>>
>>55346423
Microsoft website probably.
>>
Can anyone link me to good Computer Science resume examples?
>>
>>55346171
>>55346258
You're in a better place then me, deluge dosent even function at all.

It could be your isp shaping your traffic, and blocking or throttling. I've never used at&t but it could be something to look in to.
Is it a public or private torrent? If private your site might throttle block certain clients
>>
File: 1418832563170.png (936 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1418832563170.png
936 KB, 800x600
Will rx480 power draw be fixed?
>>
>>55346458
>buying a new card
>with 980 specs
>instead of a used 980

you fucking what
>>
>>55346497
Please, just tell me. 980 prices are blown up here and i want warranty.
>>
>>55346403
Unless you need 10 drives, of storage.Get a microatx mobo and case
>cpu
Depends on what else you want to use it for.
What you listed, a 2ghz cpu is more then enough
>>
>>55345809
It's a start, but you really have to worry about your internet browsing as the weak link and focus on preventing malicious code from the web from having a chance to run at all. Any time you have an AV trying to clean up damage that has already been done, you are at much higher risk. The browser is key. Use Chrome NOT firefox. Firefox has no sandboxing and no immediate plans to implement it. savvy trying to stay safe. Install adblock, it prevents a lot of shit from getting through. Try to find an av with a browser plugin, that's a prerequisite for certain security measures. Setting a custom DNS like norton is one of the fastest, easiest ways to eliminate a lot of threats, because it will simply block access to a lot of fucked up pages before your computer can even access them. And remove flash and Java from the system. Disabling javascript is helpful too, but way not worth it for most people. Doing those things will greatly decrease your chances of getting an invisible driveby infection from surfing the web
>>
>>55342141
I'm so frustrated, I am on the verge of screaming right now.

My GPU died and I'm using integrated graphics right now, can't do shit with my computer right now as you might imagine.

I held out to by the RX 480; it's sold out and on top of that the benchmarks are weird/bad, doesn't perform as well as a 390.
The 1070 is sold out everywhere also.

Now my only options to even get a graphics card are to buy an old generation card like a 970 or 980. Both of these are unprepared for DX12 and feel like a waste of a purchase.

I can't fucking wait any longer /g/. What the FUCK should I do? It looks like the 1070 won't be back in stock until august, and I don't think I will be satisfied with a 480 or a 980.
>>
>>55346423
If it's been less than a month since you "upgraded" you should just revert your install within windows
>>
>>55346792
It has not but now I'm remembering the things that bothered me about 8.1 and I'm honestly thinking about just dragging out the old mac pro again
>>
>>55346785
>can't do shit with my computer right now

Stop being a manchild and live without cutting edge vidya for a few weeks.. You can literally play any old/non-grafix game anyway. Here anon play some Tetris: http://www.tetrisfriends.com/games/Marathon/game.php
>>
>>55346785
>unprepared
They both run dx12 fine
980 surpases alot of these new cards
>>
>>55346785
Nobodies using Dx12 except microsoft for their shitty xbone ports. It might never take off, and it doesn't do a damn bit of good for games that weren't designed for it. If you don't care about the VR the new generation is not magic. Buying a newly released model from a new generation of cards is a shitty idea in general. Nobodies worked out the kinks yet, found out which cards are lemons and found the unexpected weaknesses. Think 970 3.5. Or potentially much worse. In the beginning it's all gonna be shitty untested reference cards. If you wanna roll the dice it's your money. I say add a minimum of 2 months to any release date, and if you can't handle that, then take advantage of the falling prices of the previous gen
>>
File: prayer_crack.jpg (88 KB, 712x405) Image search: [Google]
prayer_crack.jpg
88 KB, 712x405
>>55345547
i've seen him from somewhere. is he still kneeling before cracks?
>>
>>55345757
why wouldn't you download them along your drivers? it helps your gaming experience
>>
>>55346943
I read this thread and it scared me away from buying a 980. are these claims overblown?

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/105376-do-not-buy-gtx980-or-gtx980ti-they-are-obsolete
>>
Hey is Windows 7 any good yet? I am really starting to be pissed off by Windows 8/10 UWAs and tablet bullshit
>>
File: questionjava.png (8 KB, 676x125) Image search: [Google]
questionjava.png
8 KB, 676x125
Can a kind /g/ anon help a starting Java programmer out?

I'm trying to draw an image onto a graphics context in an applet. I'm extending the applet class. I want to know how to retrieve the image via an absolute path on my hard drive. Pic related is my code, but it always seems to stop executing after the getImage call. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance
>>
>>55347138
I was updating until windows 10 showed up. Then i luckily canceled the 'upgrade'. Good stuff.
>>
>>55347201
>white background
Do you hate yourself?
>>
When i add magnet links to any torrent client. They just stay at their hash name, and never complete. I can confirm they are well seeded(500+ seeders in this case), yet it stays stuck and wont download.
>>
what's the best image zooming addon for firefox?
>>
>>55347494
control+scroll wheel
>>
>>55347503
i mean if you wanna do that sure
im looking for the simplest most convenient way to browse the web tho so
sumone HALP
>>
I'm thinking about sleeved cables for my next build. However, my power supply comes with 9 cables, and this "complete" kit I've been looking at has 14. Does that mean they've reduced the number of connectors per cable and made whole new cables for them? I mean, my power supply can only use 8 cables at a time, why even bother with 14 like that?
>>
>>55342141
do i need 1920x1080 for a 13 inch laptop? thinking about getting the thinkpad 13 either in that resolution or 1366x768
>>
>>55347637
It depends on your psu.I have a 2200W and it has 18 rail slots.
>>
>>55347658
I'd call it optional. The main difference is the amount of screen real estate you have. Lower resolution translates to less room to view documents, webpages etc. I would say that's more important than the actual ppi but it doesn't make a huge difference either way
>>
Is it alright to mount a Fractal Design GP-14 fan horizontally? Looked up the bearing on it and it has a hydraulic bearing, which is apparently just a sleeve bearing.
>>
I got a T420, I dual boot Windows and Debian, I wanted the ThinkVantage button to open the terminal, it was easy to do in XFCE, but I have no clue in how to do this on Windows 7, anyone can help me out here?
>>
>>55347637
might want to look at modular or semi modular ones too. they might come with 14 cables, but you can remove some or all of what you arent using
>>
newfag here, what the hell is the point of two monitors? Or even 3,4? Could it be possible to have one run a specific OS and another one something different?
>>
>>55347941
More shit visible at once without having to buy a bigger monitor or being able to have some shit up on another window with something else full screened on the other.
>>
>>55347941
Anon here answered
>>55347963
As for the second question, you can use a VM in the second monitor so you got 2 OSs
>>
>>55347941
My left monitor is the main things im working on or have that i use constantly, switching between or having them side by side
The other monitor i have all my monitoring serivces loaded up. Music player,system resources,file managers etc.
When i need to read source material or have 10+ programs open at a time,it is fucking easy as fuck to use them on 2 monitors.Good luck with multitasking on a single monitor.Good luck switching between 5 pages of shit you need to constantly be writing or reading from on a single monitor
Going back to CRT's i always had 2.
>>
>>55347941
>run a specific OS and another one something different?
sure, with 2 computers, one for each monitor

or a VM that you move to another screen, but depending on what os you want to run, and what you want to run on that os, you might need a pretty good cpu/video card
>>
>>55347941
For vidya, I can play a fullscreen game on one monitor and watch system temps or read something on the other monitor. Its actually pretty handy in that sense.
>>
>>55346171
looked around, found out that at&t fucks with any and all torrents.
would setting up my torrent program to go through a free vpn work? too cheap to pay for one
>>
When will internet be so advanced that we'll be able to get 0 ping from America to Europe for example? Is that technically possible even now?
>>
First time builder here:
Do I need to worry about a Wired Network Adapter? installgentoo wiki doesn't say anything about it.

If I do what should I be looking out for, specifically?
>>
why does my new asus monitor make everything beige? what do i do?
>>
>>55348116
Most motherboards already have an ethernet port. You should be looking out for chipsets, but that doesn't matter too much unless it's some GAYMER KILLER SNIPER XxX garbage.
>>
>>55347658
I wouldn't pay for anything less than 900 tall.
>>
>>55348133
get colored contacts to balance out the beige?
fuck with the monitor's contrast/RGB/whatever?
hmi cord might help, no idea
>>
>>55348095
>is that technically possible
Short answer: no
>>
>>55348015
>not using multiple workspaces per monitor, to easily have everything you need relevent to what you are doing.Easily swapping between everything at the moments notice.
>>
>>55348265
What if every PC in the world was connected via ethernet to a huge rounter? What then smartass?
>>
>>55348183
Cool, thanks

Also, what's the smallest "safe" storage size for a mid-range desktop? Trying to get a SSD worked into my plan without blowing the roof off my budget, I had planned for a $50 1TB HDD but that's looking ridiculous now. SSDs seem to be much more expensive per Gigabyte so I'm trying to balance cost and storage size.
I'll probably grab a larger external storage source down the line.
>>
>>55348300
Still no, because even with fiber optic conmections you're talking hundreds of thousands of MILES of physical space between connections. Sending a single blip of information might work with virtually no latency, but when you're daisy chaining between systems that each need to process their share of the information, package it and pass it along, all of which is going to generate at least some latency.

Even with a perfect network of quantum computers and flawless fiber optics, you'll experience some latency due to the uncertainty principle, though that may be completely immeasurable. The only means of true lossless communication is quantum entanglement.
>>
>>55347658
1366x768 is an awful blight on computing as a whole and you will hate it every moment you're using it.

>>55348095
literally impossible without FTL communication

>>55348300
what do you think the internet is?

>>55348348
put your OS on a smaller SSD (128 or 256 GB, whatever you need for the OS and high-usage apps) then put the rest of your shit on a mechanical drive
>>
>>55348400
>hey what's the least I can spend on a SSD?
>durrr just buy two storage sets lol
Why
>>
>>55348400
>what do you think the internet is

A tool to share porn between people allover the world.
>>
>>55348433
because using your SSD for long-term storage is fucking stupid and buying a big SSD is stupider?

gee, i dunno, you figure it out, then, smartass. sounds like you knew what you wanted all along.
>>
What are amazon tablets programmed with?
>>
>>55348433
>im not going to listen to that guy, im going to buy a giant SSD and put everything on it
enjoy losing all your data when it eventually dies
more reading/writing on the SSD shortens its life. come back in a few months when it dies and get called an idiot
>>
>>55348459
basically android but they're locked down so good luck getting to an actual android home screen
>>
File: screenshot_006.png (34 KB, 784x303) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_006.png
34 KB, 784x303
I need an understanding. Can someone explain why this was necessary at all?
It's literally the same ep over and over again...
>>
>>55348453
why do people insist on acting like an ssds lifetime is drastically less than an hdds? it's simply not true any more and ssds have a far smaller failure rate
>>
>>55348497
a competent torrent client would have allowed you to select the files that worked best for you without downloading anything else
>>
File: Untitled.png (27 KB, 770x625) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
27 KB, 770x625
I'm trying to partition my hard drive. I could only get about 20GB partitioned before the Windows partition utility told me I had no space left, which was bullshit.

I defragged a couple times, and think I've found the problem, although I could be wrong.

This is what my Defraggler looks like. At the last little bit of my hard drive (I don't know what the exact term for it is), there's nothing but the pagefile. I think it's standing in the way, and I think it's why Windows is telling me I have no free space left.

Why the fuck is it there? Can I move it to a different address? I don't want to remove it.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?
>>
File: KlCJIgf.png (150 KB, 924x774) Image search: [Google]
KlCJIgf.png
150 KB, 924x774
fucked my start menu up by using w10privacy wat do
>>
>>55348527
stop using dodgy programs?
>>
>>55348535
no
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.