[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I built my first PC this May. For new PC builders, here is some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: 1431533037707.jpg (39 KB, 430x344) Image search: [Google]
1431533037707.jpg
39 KB, 430x344
I built my first PC this May. For new PC builders, here is some random advice:

1. Do not be afraid to drop a good sum of money on a good case. This is, after all, your PC's home, and will be your PC's home for a very long time. Buy something nice, and make sure it is something that is loaded with dust filters and keeps your PC cool.

2. Buy a CPU that fits your needs, and no more than that. If all you are doing is gaming and other misc tasks like light photo editing, you do not need an 8 core processor like the i7 branch. That extra money should instead go towards the case.

3. If you are a hardcore gamer, buy the latest bestest graphics card out there. Otherwise, if you dont game very much, buy a graphics card that plays your favorite games perfectly. Chances are you can save money on this.

4. SSD's are in fact not a meme and are actually that good for your pc. Best most noticeable upgrade in my entire rig.

5. Last piece of advice is to calm down, relax, and spend time RESEARCHING everything you buy. You know that spec page on Newegg products? Read that shit. Spend time on designing your pc, be open to spending four or more months designing this thing. (I wish I built a micro pc).

Anyway, I think that's for now. I made a bunch of mistakes with my build, and I am actually thinking about taking the hard drives out and selling the pc for a new build. Mostly because of the case (Corsair 200). It's lack of filters and proper cooling is very infuriating. (And micro cases are just cooler to look at.)

Also, build thread.
>>
Where can I subscribe? This deserves a (You).
>>
>>55339091
>3 sticks memory
>>
>>55339347
Just trying to help the community
>>
always buy a mid tower case.
never used small form factor.
ITX is a meme that needs to die.
invest in LAN switches.
>>
File: 1457581276856.png (687 KB, 957x1069) Image search: [Google]
1457581276856.png
687 KB, 957x1069
>>55339450
>4chan
>helping the community
ebin
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>55339091
>rig
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>55339517
I will be bald prematurely anyway.
>>
>>55339512
>ITX is a meme that needs to die.

Why?
>>
>tfw no deepcool tristellar
I know it's a fucking meme but God damn it looks nifty
>>
>>55339091
The Corsair 200R is literally THE perfect case
>>
I am worried about what kind of case to get when I build a pc in a few months.I've mostly gotten hand me downs, and the case with the current computer sucks in that if I put the side panel on so the innards aren't exposed the whole thing will quickly overheat.
>>
>>55339586
It's main drawback for me is the open grille on the top, which allows literally anything to enter it be it dust or dog hair. Bothers the crap out of me. Also, this computer produces a ton of heat. Im not sure if it is because of the open grille, or because I am using the case fans or I dont have enough fans installed.
>>
>>55339091
>invest extra money in a good case
No. Invest the extra money in a good power supply and motherboard. Those are the two most important components you will have. Your case is largely inconsequential, and you should never spend more than $100 on it unless you're a faggot.

You invest in at LEAST a gold+ PSU and a quality motherboard. Then you buy the best GPU for your target resolution/settings and either an i5 or i7 depending on need. Then you can get an SSD and cheap storage drive. I don't know why you care so much about the case OP. It's literally the least important part of the computer.
>>
>>55339658
Yeah I guess your right. Im just buttmad because my case is full of dust despite owning this thing for like 2 months.
>>
>>55339679
Buy some canned air and clean it every week. Should be doing it anyway desu
>>
>>55339598
Corsair 200R, Fractal Define R5, Thermaltake Core V21, NZXT H440 are all solid cases that I've worked with.
>>
>>55339639
Okay yeah to be fair depending on your setup it might not generate perfect airflow, but the fact that it has so many features makes me like it a lot. That top grill is good for mounting larger cooling solutions, but you can probably cover it with something and see if it helps
>>
HELLO RAT
>>
>>55339639
You don't have enough fans dude.
>>
If you're getting really large amounts of dust quickly, it might be a decent idea to invest in an air filter unit for your room/home
>>
>>55339905
See I want more fans but my motherboard doesnt have enough fan sockets..
>>
>>55339091
>built first pc
>already giving advice
How about no.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-30-11-23-18.png (783 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-30-11-23-18.png
783 KB, 1440x2560
>>55339091
I have the corsair 300R and I think I need more case fans. Any recommendations? I have one in front and one in back pic. related
>>
>>55339091
what ssd brands do you guys recommend?
>>
>>55339942
Dude buy a fan hub then? This is like basic shit
>>
>>55340070
Intel.
>>
>>55340112
woah, thanks senpai
>>
>>55340100
Well now. I didnt know these were a thing.

So, time to blueprint this out. I need a fanhub, fans, and filters to go on those fans. Right?

>>55340070
I use samsung
>>
>>55340145
Intel, samsung, corsair (maybe), sandisk, OCZ... there are loads.
What's shorter is the list of brands to avoid:
1. Kingston
2. something beginning with a P that I can't remember

OCZ might get some meme response but they were bought by toshiba and they're Toshiba SSDs with a OCZ sticker on them now.
>>
>>55340321
I wouldn't worry about filters. Just dust out your computer every other week or so
>>
>>55340349
PNY is the shit brand you're looking for senpai
>>
>>55339639

Is having that on top important? I've noticed that there are other cases that have a smaller top vent and I was wondering if it made a big difference in cooling.
>>
I too am building a PC this summer from older parts and have a few questions. First off, thoughts on the Fractal Design Define S case? Secondly, when transferring the motherboard form the old PC to the new one, do I need to remove the CPU or can I keep it placed in the board? Removing it seems really sketchy considering it has so many fragile pins, and I don't want to have to buy a new CPU.
>>
>>55339679
I have a shitty $30 case (Define core 1100) and 2 months in there is no visible dust within the case.

You might want to make sure that you don't have negative pressure in the case as negative pressure will turn your computer into a dust magnet. You can check by tearing off a small corner of paper towel or tissue paper and putting it over some vents/cracks in the case that don't have fans. If the paper is flung away, positive pressure, if it sticks to the vents, negative pressure. If just just sits there or falls straight down you are neutral. (The paper thing obviously doesn't work as well for vents on top of the case)
>>
>>55339091

OP your thread will be deleted in a fucking day what's the point of even wasting your time?

most fag/g/ots on this board either are too poorfag to buy anything and only have hand-me-down or have low end shit (no offense if you do, it's life) that can't play even dirt 3 on low settings.

On the other hand, there are intelligent individuals who have been building computers long before you were a thought and a sperm inside your daddy's sack.
>>
>>55344578
>negative pressure
Holy mother of fuck.
On intake fans you'll be getting negative and on exhaust fans positive pressure, it's literally impossible to build a case with only positive pressure.

>>55342886
>>55339639

Here's the down-low, having any openings with no filtering is bad. Even if they're mounting points for exhaust fans because if you have a properly configured fan profile which will turn off fans when they are not needed those will not protect you all the time.

Now the solution is simple, cleaning filters is a fucking pain in the ass, and using cloth is just as effective except you can dump it in the washer after a couple months or just throw them out.

>muh aesthetics
Either buy cases that have hatches you can close on unused fan mounts or pony up for fancy filters.
>>
>>55346138
If the pressure inside the case is greater than the pressure outside the case, then the case is said to have positive pressure. This will result in all the empty vents and cracks acting as exhausts. For example, with high positive pressure empty top vents will have an upwards net airflow, preventing falling dust from entering through the top vents.

On the other hand, when the pressure inside the case is less than the pressure outside the case, the case is said to have negative pressure which will suck air, and dust, in through empty vents and cracks.

This is not a difficult concept to understand.

You check the pressure of the case by testing airflow of vents and cracks not populated with fans. The post you are replying to explicitly says this.

Also, you have it backwards. Intake fans provide positive pressure to the case, exhaust fans provide negative pressure. For vents with no fans, the pressure inside the case determines the airflow.

Negative pressure turns all passive venting in the case into an intake, and if those are unfiltered, then they will behave as a vacuum cleaner sucking up all the local dust.
>>
File: guts.jpg (2 MB, 2304x3072) Image search: [Google]
guts.jpg
2 MB, 2304x3072
cases are a meme
>>
>>55339091
>1)
>Oy vey good goy no need for cheap case that has all the space and cable management you need! Buy ATX, not mITX or mATX!

>2)
No shit

>3)
>Oy vey good goy buy GTX 1080 and not old usable card like 390 or 970!

>4)
No shit

>5)
No shit
>>
>>55346509

Couldn't agree more. I've been caseless for the past 12 years, and never once have I had a situation where a case would have been beneficial. I actually mount my computer on the wall above my desk, pretty high so that it's at nearly no risk of being fucked with by kids, people, dogs, etc.
>>
>>55346702
Oh, and the part that will troll /g/ the most: I have my hard drives literally just Velcro'd to the wall. Never had one fail, never had any issues because of the velcro. They just sit there, and do their hard drive thing.
>>
>>55346459
I see we have a simple misunderstanding here.
However, unless you for some reason have all case fans always running (please don't do this) you cannot rely on passive protection from your case being positively pressurized.

Just cover all your fan openings with filters and passive openings with impermeable barriers or filters and call it a day.
>>
>>55346702
>>55346721
Sounds neat, pics?
>>
>>55346776

I'm posting from my phone at work :/

Don't have pics for 6 more hours.
>>
>>55339091
>2. Buy a CPU that fits your needs, and no more than that

This was the biggest mistake I made building my pc OP. My cpu is too weak now for modern gen games and I got no idea how to upgrade it without replacing the entire motherboard

bad advice !
>>
>>55339091
I built my first pc 1 year ago. I have some wisdom to share too.

1. Don`t get huge ass case and make sure it has clips instead of screws because you want to be able to open you case easly whenver you want.

2. Optical drivers are memes now only used mine once.

3. Cable organisation is not only for cosmetic also for airflow.

4. if u re poor get amd if u have money get nvidia

5. DONT GET huge ass cpu fans.(i am looking at you noctua)

6. Also obviously make sure you cpu fits you mobo socket. You would be really sad otherwise.

7. Get 16gb ram.
>>
>>55339413
Acting like op made the pic
>>
>>55339413
>What is triple channel?
>>
>>55339413
You realize you're supposed to have as many sticks as you can...right ? I seriously hope you aren't trying to cram all you ram onto 1-2 sticks instead of evenly distributing it over 3-4.
>>
>spend 4 or more months on this thing
What

I mean, if you're building a beast of a rig, maybe, but spending more than a few weeks on a general purpose build is huge overkill.
I do like what you said about the case though, getting my first mid-range build planned out and sone modifications left me with $100 free to spend on a case, feels good man.

As for SSDs, is there anything you can recommend in the $50 range? My planned build has a 1 TB 3.5" Western Digital HDD, and this is the first I've heard of SSDs significantly improving anything. The 1TB is probably overkill but I'd like to have the free space on-hand for when/if I ever upgrade this machine into something that can handle video editing and recording down the line.
>>
>>55346895
>this is the first I've heard of SSDs significantly improving anything
That's some under a rock living type shit.

Can't recommend you anything specific for the SSD (except to get one, 256Gb should be plenty) but I can for the hdd and video editing.
If longevity matters to you get a hgst deskstar or wd red.

Having more than one hdd in your tower is a meme, and one is not enough for serious video production if you want to keep your video project files. So plan to get a NAS with solid software raid (so there is no hardware raid card that can die and fuck your whole pool). That way you can easily upgrade to a new workstation and keep all your files easily + you don't get fucked over by a cryptolocker if you manage NAS user accounts right.
>>
>>55339517
ratooooo
>>
would a Fractal Design Define R5 be a 'good enough' case?
>>
>>55346799

come back to this thread after, I want to see this set up too
>>
>>55347351

The answer is subjective. It's a free market man, so buy a case that you think is decent. They all do the same thing in the end.
>>
>>55339517
Hello rato my friend
>>
>>55346887
it depends on the motherboard configuration
>>
>>55347406
>>55346799
second that. pics pls
>>
File: pain.jpg (99 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
pain.jpg
99 KB, 600x580
>>55347574
>mfw I got this case for $30 and I still regret it
Who designs a case and puts space between the top mount 120 mm fans? I got a good deal on a Seidon 240m, and it can't mount anywhere on a case that retails for $70.
>>
>>55347627
Still so retarded cases only have two usb ports in front. I got a "gaming" coolermaster case and still deal with that
>>
>>55346841
Why does everyone need 16GB? In 2009 I got a computer with 12GB of RAM, never once came close to using it all up and I never close any programs.

Now I've got 16GB, and the situation is the same. I've never passed the 9.7GB of RAM mark.
>>
>>55347764
>the 9.7GB of RAM mark
I must be pretty conservative in the way I run my programs, because I never exceed 6GB usage.
>>
>>55347294
A 256 gb SSD destroys my budget. Is it a good idea to start with a smaller SSD and then upgrade to a larger one later? If I want to go that route, is there anything on the hardware end that I need to work with?
>>
If you want the god among all cases, get the dark base
http://www.bequiet.com/en/case/699
unfortunately it also costs its 250 bucks or something
>>
>>55347927
Buy a 256GB SSD. Buy the 1TB spinny drive later. You don't need to download those movies anyway.
>>
Will an i3 6100 cpu be okay for gaming? I'll be using it with a GTX 960. I think the most intensive game I have is Arma 3.
>>
>>55339091
As a long time builder, let me give you some advice.

>1. Do not be afraid to drop a good sum of money on a good case. This is, after all, your PC's home, and will be your PC's home for a very long time. Buy something nice, and make sure it is something that is loaded with dust filters and keeps your PC cool.
If it is your first time buying, you will not know what to get. There are some mid range cases that are still absolute shit. Are dust filters nice? Yes, but they aren't 100%, dust finds a way. They also reduce airflow, causing air to become stale inside of the case as it just blows around warmer and warmer air. Don't live like a slob and you won't have dust problems. Used dryer sheets make great poorfag dust filters but must be changed regularly. Get something that is easy to work in, something with cable management, screwless design where possible. You don't want to get something that is so crammed once you get an air cooler and video card in there that you can't even see the motherboard. Avoid anything with shiny metal, its cheap and thin aluminum. Avoid anything with 120mm or smaller fans. 140mm is the sweet spot, plenty of airflow and virtually no noise. Higher is ok too but I tend to avoid side panel case fans, its just annoying to worth with most of the time.

>2. Buy a CPU that fits your needs, and no more than that. If all you are doing is gaming and other misc tasks like light photo editing, you do not need an 8 core processor like the i7 branch. That extra money should instead go towards the case.
You should have a decent CPU. Determine need, look at cost then get an i7. It doesn't have to be the best, but you want something that will meet your needs now and in the future. Can you always go cheap now and upgrade later? Yes but nobody actually does that. You will then have a used CPU thats worth less than half of what you paid for it and it will sit around until you drill a hole in it to make it a keychain. Get it right the first time.
>>
>>55349671
cont

>3. If you are a hardcore gamer, buy the latest bestest graphics card out there. Otherwise, if you dont game very much, buy a graphics card that plays your favorite games perfectly. Chances are you can save money on this.
If you plan on any gaming, this is where you try and make compromises. Would the bestest video card available be great? Yes, of course but you will be gimping the rest of your system for the sake of a game which probably won't even reach 50% usage time per day. It is far better to get a mid range card, run it for a few years and get another mid range card 2 or 3 years later and still spend less than the original big ticket GPU.

>4. SSD's are in fact not a meme and are actually that good for your pc. Best most noticeable upgrade in my entire rig.
SSDs are great. Do everything possible to get the largest drive you can afford. at least 250gb recommended. If needed, go with a large HDD and purchase a SSD later. Do not try and get a 120gb SSD. This will fill up faster than you can blink and will make life more of a hassle.

>5. Last piece of advice is to calm down, relax, and spend time RESEARCHING everything you buy. You know that spec page on Newegg products? Read that shit. Spend time on designing your pc, be open to spending four or more months designing this thing. (I wish I built a micro pc).
I still thoroughly research everything. If I make a purchase I am confident this is what I need. This is what I will need for the life of the device and it will be what works best for my situation. It will be hard to determine this if this is your first time. Its like trying to describe sex as a virgin. Micro PCs are a meme. If you want a meme PC get a fucking mac you damn scrub.
>>
>>55349671
>>55349692
I disagree with the fan bit. 120mm is fine. There's far fewer choices if you are forcing 140mm fans (for both fans and cases that support those fans). 120mm is a hugely popular standard for a reason. However, if you do find a case you like that does support 140mm fans, go for it. They are great.

>>55349671
>Can you always go cheap now and upgrade later? Yes but nobody actually does that.
This is a HUGE point that cannot be reiterated enough. Every babby's first build always tries to future proof his system for 230985235235 generations. Xbox hueg full tower case, mobo with 23570293852 SATA and PCIe slots, etc. Problem is, very few people actually upgrade their computer regularly. You're going to be really happy with your machine when you get it up and running, so much that it's probably going to take YEARS for you to really sit down and think, "Hmm, I should upgrade it," and usually by that time you're going to want to chuck out the vast majority of components and do a system overhaul.

>>55349692
>It is far better to get a mid range card, run it for a few years and get another mid range card 2 or 3 years later and still spend less than the original big ticket GPU.
Not a bad plan but I also find that people just tend to get lazy and put up with their mid-range GPU until their next system overhaul, which is also fine. You still game better than console peasants and you save some money.

>>55349692
>Micro PCs are a meme.
I always advise that you should only do ITX if you have cash to burn. If you are making compromises in specs because of your budget, don't even consider it. MicroATX is fine. It's actually generally cheaper than full ATX and you'll get all the features; you just might miss some PCIe slots, which; who fucking cares? Again, babby's first computer mistake is thinking you're going to keep your computer for 2345290852 generations and have 234509823523 peripherals.
>>
As someone who's planning a build for the first time should I be setting it up so it's upgradable in future, SLI and overclocking for example or just replace a bunch when the time comes? What are your experiences with this?
>>
>>55349671
I built my PC a year ago and haven't dusted it once. There is no dust on the inside. I think dust is just a gross neckbeard problem
>>
>mfw bought pc at Fry's black friday 2007
>have replaced everything but pc case and disk drive
>no reason to buy another case because its aesthetic af and fits everything perfectly
>mfw i will have this pc case for the rest of my life
feels good
>>
>>55339091
>That extra money should instead go towards the case.
I lol'd hard
>>
File: murderbox-mk2-wp00.jpg (368 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
murderbox-mk2-wp00.jpg
368 KB, 1920x1200
>>55349827
>I disagree with the fan bit. 120mm is fine.
Most allow 140mms or 120mms now. Anything that is strictly 120mm I would avoid, but that is my choice. I've had 80s, 90s, 120s and 140s. I'd still go with a case with spots for 5x 140s over a case with spots for 2x140 and 3x 120s.

>>55349852
>SLI
Just a bad idea in general. You don't need that many FPS. Produces so much heat, cards can overheat and cook themselves, pulls so much power. Unless you have thousands to blow, this is not advisable for your first build.

>>55349853
Pet dander is a big problem. If you have no pets there is likely very little dust buildup.

>>55350079
>not having a murderbox
What is wrong with you? Go sell bodily fluids until you can afford to give your computer a good home!
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.