[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arch/Gentoo users, why do you use Arch/Gentoo? It seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Arch/Gentoo users, why do you use Arch/Gentoo?

It seems like it's more trouble than it's worth
>>
i just started switching from ubuntu to arch and the main reason why I am doing its because arch forces you to learn the insides of linux itself and forces you to debug your OS and its super costumizable...
>>
gotta be compilin' at all times
>>
>>55334371
Because pacman is a cool guy
>>
>>55334371
Arch and the AUR has more packages than any distro :^)
>>
>>55334371

not quite there yet but I've installed and used both of them and I'm currently working on a gentoo install that I'll use semi-regularly

if I want something that just weks I can use fedora and not have an issue, but I've wanted to try a rolling release distribution and the only usable ones (barring some clusterfuck like fedora rawhide or debian testing/unstable which aren't meant to actually be used) are arch/gentoo, maybe opensuse tumbleweed, and I figure there's no benefit to arch when I have a beefy cpu and compile times are a non-issue on gentoo

otherwise building the system yourself is pretty appealing, I've tried netinsts before and they're generally a pain in the ass until you have them setup how you like them but there's no point when it's a release based distro
>>
i tried gentoo once just felt it wasnt for me though i've read many times that its really flexible i just find arch more appealing, just dont know if its suitable for my old laptop since i have to compile it many times to make tweaks
>>
using arch I installed vim and it installed the gui version which made me FUCKING REEEEEEEEEEEEEE SO MUCH SHIT BLOAT REEEE so I swapped to gentoo and did emerge vim +minimal -X
>>
so do you feel gentoo suits your needs? ^^
>>
>>55336451
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
I just like to.
>>
File: 1434854856216.png (950 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1434854856216.png
950 KB, 1280x720
>trouble
Till today it worked fine for 6-7 months without any issues. Today, I was forced to type update before startx.
Talk about a hustle.
>>
because "look at me! i'm such a nerd!"
>>
>>55334371
Do you like homemade cookies, or the stuff you buy in a tube?
>>
>>55334371
To get out of my comfort zone on purpose and learn how to fix my OS so for future reference I can.
>>
>>55334371
>Linux Mint but for Arch
>What is Manjaro
>>
>>55337441
Bullshit
pacman -S vim will install vim minimal.
If you installed gvim you're literally retarded
>>
i wouldn't cal him that but i think you just need to be completely focused on what you're doing
>>
>>55334371
I fell for a meme.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.