[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seriously now, is it a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 2000px-EmacsIcon.svg.png (474 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
2000px-EmacsIcon.svg.png
474 KB, 2000x2000
Seriously now, is it a meme?
>>
>>55333571
yes, use vim
>>
>>55333571
No, the macros are very powerful if you know what you are doing.
>>
>>55333577
Explain
>>
>>55333571
well you can customize it however you want and once you learn it you can use it for literally everything

is the the second coming of jesus like some people claim?
no not really, the only reason to use emacs instead of a simpler gui editor is if you want to use it for programming IMO
>>
>>55333571
No
>>
emacs is powerful if you use lisp, otherwise it's no better than other editors and in many ways it is worse. vi/m is more likely to be installed and is faster for short work.
>>
File: 1454363022950.png (8 KB, 173x196) Image search: [Google]
1454363022950.png
8 KB, 173x196
I use it every day. Must be one funny meme.
>>
It's the meme maker.

https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/06/28/emacs-can-haz-fancy-meme/
>>
>>55333571
Best meme I've ever fallen for.
>>
>>55334300
Only lisp?
Isn't it also great for other languages it supports?
>>
Historically, emacs and vim existed because all other editors focused on looks instead of providing features.
Having a text based interface is also great if you are working over the network.
Especially editors such as ed is great when you can't afford much network traffic.

But for people who only started to use text editors the past decade might use something else.
Eg. If you were raised with word for typing documents, you are using emacs style hotkeys, but different ones.
Giving up that indoctrination is hard.
I personally use Kate for most of my writing and find it the most enjoyable text editor.
It has the features I want and I can easily add more.
Kate is not ideal for everything.
I also use an IDE to read code (easier navigation as it is context based)
And I use vim for the terminal.
And I use vim because the majority uses this.
I don't use all features of vim and I certainly dont use it as well as I use Kate, even though I spent a lot of time to learn vim and almost no time to learn Kate.
I have seen people who live in emacs and that's great. But I don't think it is because of any technical advantage.
>>
>>55333571
once youve spent a month learning everything about it im sure you might like it. but it is bloated, i mean a fucking music player? a web browser? i think i recall it being 400 megabytes in size for what could just be a text editor with retarded hotkeys. guess how you move around the page? hjkl(no not a vi fag it just makes a lot more sense, could be better though if it wasn't 1 key to the left of natural position)? arrow keys(you could actually)? no, CTRL+f,b,p,n. thats all over the keyboard and serves no function other than to allow it be an abreviation for what it does (forward, back, previous, next). its already failed at that point but if you took the time to learn even more you will find that it is even more retarded later on and you would probably get more work done using a simple editor like mousepad
>>
>Could not learn emacs, could not see the face of true god.
>Desire to bashing emacs intensifies
>>
>>55333571
Anything liked by more than 10 people are automatically memes.
>>
What's a good book/guide to learning emacs including installing packages and ricing.
>>
>>55336179
there's a builtin tutorial
>>
>>55334615

i'm talking about macros, not syntax highlighting and auto-completion. vim has autocmds which are similar to emacs lisp style macros.
>>
>>55334701
The default emacs installs are only 40 megabytes and I'm sure it's significantly smaller if you complied the source code since it comes with a lot of extensions out of the box.
>>
Why don't you use atom?
>>
>>55336179
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxkMDXQ5qzYOgXPRnOBrp1w/videos

check the last 9 videos
>>
>>55336263
It's shit
>>
>>55336263
I really wanted to like atom, but it's painfully slow
>>
I want to install this but I don't get the instructions emacs noob https://github.com/ranmocy/amelie-theme

Do I just add
'(:name amelie-theme
:type git
:url "git://github.com/ranmocy/amelie-theme.git"
:after (lambda ()
(add-to-list 'custom-theme-load-path
(expand-file-name "amelie-theme" (file-name-as-directory el-get-dir)))))
to my ~/.emacs file?
>>
Is emacs worth learning if you don't give a little fuck at all about customization and don't plan on taking the time to tailor it to what you want? I mean, is it good to use out of the box? I have heard that vim is not useful at all out of the box...
>>
>>55336214
Might as well just use mg at that point
>>
>>55336440
I'm gonna try Atom. At least it's open source.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.