[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Small Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: dwight.jpg (80 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
dwight.jpg
80 KB, 1024x768
/sqt/
Ask them here
>>
Will there be a custom blower style rx 480?
>>
>>55333096
Why not ask in one of the 80 GPU threads?
>>
>>55333108
Don't want to read cancer
>>
A file (ie a pic) conteins the information of in which dispositives it were?
>>
>>55333115
..Yet here you are making us read cancer. Fuck off and join your ricefag gaymen brethren faggot. .

Meanwhile, does anyone have a concise source of what the fuck the yellow triangle over a network connection applet actually means? I have one over my LAN icon, no problems with internet or intranet access, but that little fucker won't go away and every google result I hit is for WLAN.

> Win 2k8 server on a DL350G6
> Reinstall and update drivers, no good.

Halp?
>>
>>55333153
Try Gentoo
>>
>>55333096
> can I rice my GPU?

>>>/v/
>>
Can I crossfire my 390 with the new rx480, or will there be compatibility issues?
>also would I need a bridge or some sort of connector?
>>
File: vsfont.jpg (22 KB, 674x168) Image search: [Google]
vsfont.jpg
22 KB, 674x168
Does this font look blurry/wrong or am I just insane? Why does VS try to destroy my eyes, and how can I fix it? Font selection doesn't matter, they all look fucked up.
>>
I got a very brief 120V shock off a piece of equipment I am repairing. I was only in contact with the circuit for a second or two with one finger on my right hand. It was quite tingly and mildly painful. I don't feel particularly weird. My heart feels fine. I think I had one or two small muscle spasms in my right hand but that's it. It's been about 20 minutes since it happened. Should I seek any kind of medical care?
>>
Is there a "file washing" program? I need to get rid of all additional data that comes with it, like ID3 info and other things.
>>
>>55333084
If the kernel for Windows is NT, how come that people say they are running the kernel of the GNU operating system?
>>
Not all operating systems using the Linux kernel use the GNU "OS." All operating systems using the Linux kernel use Linux. Therefore, when discussing Linux based operating systems, "Linux" is used because it's the one common trait among 100% of them.
>>
Posted in the other one too, but
Ran memtest because I've been having problems with my PC. I'm guessing this means one of my RAM sticks is dead?
http://pastebin.com/mGnqLrxE
>>
>>55333208
Who are you quoting?

>>55333406
You'll be fine.

>>55333615
Properties > Details > Remove Properties
>>
When are the lower end RX cards coming out? Thought they were supposed to launch with the 480.
>>
File: 1463156255421.png (384 KB, 783x954) Image search: [Google]
1463156255421.png
384 KB, 783x954
I realize this is more /v/ oriented, but whatever.

I'm using a DS4 in Windows 7 with DS4Windows and sometimes select the "Hide DS4" option for certain games. I've been getting this error-
>Warning: Could not open ds4 40:1B:5f:41:3C:CE
>You must quit other applications like Steam, Uplay before activating the 'Hide DS4 Controller' option
I've got Steam closed and it's still giving me this issue.
>>
What would twitter accounts like this be used for?
https://twitter.com/googuns_staging
Very weird and cryptic
>>
>>55333084
where the fuck did the linux rice threads go??
>>
>>55333914
b&
>>
>>55333796
Memtest errors usually mean there's a problem with the memory
>>
Trying to run a robocopy command in a .bat

the robocpy command works fine in cmd.

If i run it as a .bat, either nothing happens or it just repeats the command endlessly.

the fuck?
>>
>>55333930
I'm just not sure if there are like acceptable parameters for this or what. I'm guessing from your response that there isn't, and one of my sticks is definitely fucked.
>>
>>55333924
but why, it was one thread, and its not like there aren't already other shitty threads here
>>
>>55334191
I thought you meant desktop threads
>>
Why people here doesn't like WF Red for NAS?

Is not supposed to be better for NAS?
>>
What's a reasonably affordable monitor with low motion blur to accompany my blurry af IPS monitor?
>>
Hi /g/ I have a asus h61m/u3s3, ethernet port has stopped working (appears so at least). Is this fixable? The lights on the back show red and orange. Anyone know what this means?
>>
how long do motherboard capacitors take to discharge?
>>
Best browser for an android phone? I used to use Naked browser, but it works weird on an S7 so I'm gonna switch.
>>
>>55334564
Why?
>>
File: 1460152150644.jpg (22 KB, 310x263) Image search: [Google]
1460152150644.jpg
22 KB, 310x263
How to bypass the "here's the thing with ad blockers" and other "only 5 articles per month" ?
>>
How do I make a clean install of Windows 10? I have a laptop with W7 but most drivers were fucked, so I upgraded to W10, then would have formated it and then install W10 again, but I don't even know how to format it.
>>
Fresh debian install. What packages should I get?
>>
>>55334381
What monitor do you use now? It might have an overdrive feature. Any non-ips should have pretty low blur. What size/rez are you looking for?
>>
>>55334577
Chrome works best, it just has little features and stability improvements over everything else. Firefox is 8/10 but better on tablets. Opera is ok when you need to save data, kinda like a streamlined chrome.
>>
>>55334776
Go to microsoft com /en-us/software-download/windows10 and download media creation tool. It will download and burn a dvd or usb with win10 on it. You can run the disk from within windows and just choose the "keep files only" or "keep nothing" options.
>>
i just installed my new 4 TB hard drive

is it fine if i format it into a single 4 TB partition for now? and then if i want for example 2 + 2 TB partitions i can just shrink the volume? and can i go the other way around from 2 + 2 to 4, like if i delete one of the partitions and grow the remaining partition from 2 to 4 TB? there should be no major disadvantages with this approach right?
>>
Will antiviruses be able to update themselves when I am on a limited user account on Windows 10?
>>
Why do you guys say that win10 is botnet, but gnu/linux ins't? Is it really safer to use gnu/linux?
>>
>>55335015
it's not always as simple as that.
the way platter hard drives work, you can't always shrink volumes to whatever size you want after you've used them

best to plan ahead
>>
>>55335058
Windows 10 sends information back to Microsoft such as names of certains files you open and text entered in certain fields

Most Linux distributions will not do this.
>>
Will most rootkits be removed when I reflash BIOS and reinstall OS?>>55335056
>>
>>55335058
ubuntu is botnet
>>
>>55335115
Its exceedingly uncommon to get a firmware virus
Reformatting and reinstalling the OS should be fine.
>>
>>55335015
In general yes, you can shrink partitions. Windows will usually let you shrink one by a fair amount, depending on how much files you have on it and where they're located. You can usually shrink it a lot more by using a third party program like EaseUS. Large (2TB+) HDDs are kinda weird though. Windows has a hard time in general recognizing them, so there's a slight chance you'd run into trouble there. You always have the option of copying to an external and back
>>
>>55335099
So which are the linux distributions that doesn't send user information?
>>
File: IMG_20160630_101102.jpg (757 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160630_101102.jpg
757 KB, 2592x1944
this bag of bits came with my tower
what are they for?
>>
>>55335115
I wouldn't bother flashing the bios. There's always a small chance of bricking, bios malware is possible but still pretty uncommon, and if you did get a virus at that level, reflashing would probably not remove it.
>>
>>55334874
Thanks man
>>
>>55335191
Any major distro really
I only say most because I'm sure someone somewhere made some gentoo spyware edition fork.
>>
>>55335193
I am sure they were properly labeled in the manual.
>>
>>55335224
yeah but it's in chinese
and there's a different tower on the cover
>>
>>55335193
Fan mounting screws and vibration dampening washers
>>
>>55335191
They probably all send some information but Ubuntu is the worst. If you steer clear of it's derivatives you should be in good shape. Mint uses it's repositories but shaves out some of the bs
>>
Where can I change where emacs will look for the .emacs or .init.el file? when I want to customize it doesnt see my file or creats a new .emacs in /roaming/ while I jus want it to take from /roaming/.emacs.d
>>
>>55334202
I've lost the charts but their annual failure rate is somewhere around 8%
>>
>>55334202
imho it seems like WD drives are mostly marketing and hype, at least WD red. WD drives do seem to be more reliable than seagate but they still have significant failure rates. meanwhile the 4 TB HGST drive i got has like a 0.5% annual failure rate judging by the backblaze stats.
>>
>>55334640
because I'll be blowing a can of compressed air into it that might release tiny amounts of liquid

it should evaporate in seconds, but if there's a charge then it might short and blow up and ruin my day
>>
What's a good music player for android that looks good too?
>>
>>55335361
Rocket Player
>>
What will better keep my tech-blind mother from installing malware and rootkits on Windows 10?

1. Let her use the administrator account and running 4 antiviruses.
2. Make her use a limited user account with no antivirus
>>
File: advanced-search.png (143 KB, 880x725) Image search: [Google]
advanced-search.png
143 KB, 880x725
is there a way to get 4chan archives to show their advanced search parameters without having javascript enabled on the sites?
>>
>>55335373
Windows 10 is way more virus resistant than it's predecessors, use one av not 4, it depends on whether limited account is keeping her from running evil EXEs, and why not both?
>>
I have a 280x that crashes my computer as soon as it starts a game, is it borked.

Did I just get a big ass paperweight ?

trie cleaning it, changing thermal paste, drivers. didn't work
>>
>>55335219
>>55335244

all right, thank you guys.
>>
I am looking for a 200-300 euro 27" 1440p monitor

It is for my father, he needs it for work (logic drawing)

recs?
>>
>>55335398
Because i heard antiviruses can't update themselves on limited user account

She was running one av and got trojan that kept appearing again and again like evil mushrooms

I reinstalled os and now am thinking what security measures i can implement to prevent that from happening
>>
>>55335431
throw a dart at a korean panel
>>
the Tomorrow 4chan page style switches to default one every time after system reboot. (it stays if i only quit browser)

How to fix this?
>>
>>55335459
Something erases cookies, do you have some cleaner booting with os?
>>
Are there any good downloaders for file sharing websites for linux?
>>
>>55335442
Get a better av. Bitdefender and panda both have free versions. Try limiting the account and see what happens. Use chrome and adblock. Set DNS to Norton. Educate her about installing things from the web and don't pirate anything. Beware of sites that let you watch shows and movies online for free, as a lot of them send out malware. Uninstall flash and java unless you need them
>>
>>55335514
No, and I noticed that only 4chan cookies gets deleted.

I am on Manjaro Linux btw. But this worked before.
I recently erased everything from Chrome and after that this problem occured.
>>
>>55335289
Beside the fact I have a WD blue it never failed to me, I though WD was above of the other brands.

>>55335327
Should I research on Hitachi then? I feel like the "Red" is more than placebo. Although I have a 2TB Hitachi perfect.
>>
Is openSuse good on the privacy/security front? I never see any threads here about it, while it seems to be pretty decent
>>
File: ayylmao.jpg (748 KB, 1024x1398) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.jpg
748 KB, 1024x1398
So I'm taking a 3 year college computer course and so far it has just been microsoft 101. It feels like the school is sponsored by microsoft, they are shilling their shit products, i had an entire class on access and currently my first "real" programming class is about making windows forms with visual basic.

Have I made a mistake?
>>
>>55335269
oh I am stupid nvm
>>
>>55335773
Unless you're learning servers and advanced shit for certifications you should find a different program. It sound like they're training you to be the king secretary. Some colleges just offer shit tech programs and nobody seems to care. Cut your losses and learn something valuable.
>>
It's more of a /v/ thing but good luck getting any sense there.

Original Xbox emulation.

I realise what I'm about to say has probably been considered and deemed useless/impossible/ineffective.

But can the process of the Xbox 360's backward compatibility to play original Xbox games be used and studied to shed some some light on instruction sets and how the custom nVidia graphics work of the original console?
>>
Does Windows 10 have sandbox by default like Ubuntu?
>>
Is it good to have, let's say 4 passwords;
1 of them is the most important one which you use for your mail.
The second is for paypal, steam, the big accounts,
And then the next one for smaller accounts and finally the last one for shit like forum accounts and stuff like that.

Wouldn't that be the best option if you don't want to create a different password for every account you make.
>>
How do I make a .NEX file (i.e. an Opera addon) work in Opera 12.17?
>>
>>55336595
Its good to have one secure passphrase for a password manager that has unique passwords for everything.
>>
>>55336617
>password manager
What if I log in on another pc, on a friends phone, etc.
>>
>>55336639
USB drive with a portable version
>>
ASUS VG248QE 24"
or
AOC G2460PF

I want to upgrade my 60hz screen to a 144hz 1ms screen, I'm on a strict budget tho so anything in the price of the above screens would be nice, if you have anything to suggest.
>>
>>55334641
>5 articles
Clear cookies
>>
>>55336639
They have mobile password managers too. Any time you reuse a password you put yourself at additional risk.
>>
I'm looking to upgrade my two external 4tb WD drives I've been storing my media on. I've been looking at some NAS boxes but I really don't need all the extra features that come with those - I currently have my two drives attached to my Windows machine as network shares so I can stream the media to my set-top Kodi boxes.

I'm looking for the ability to add multiple drives (atleast 4 bays with support for 24tb) in a single enclosure with some redundancy (RAID 6?). Still only going to connect it to my Windows machine for streaming to my household Android media boxes for Kodi.

Would something like this work, or are their any other recommendations?
https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-ProBox-HF2-SU3S2-SATA-Enclosure/dp/B003X26VV4?ie=UTF8&keywords=mediasonic%20probox&qid=1448465731&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
>>
>>55336447
Yeah, it would likely be possible but the motivation just isn't there. There was a successful unofficial pc port of the original halo for a few years but the support dropped off when microsoft released the official version. With 360 having such good backwards compatibility the developer community didn't come together like it did with a lot of other legacy consoles
>>
>>55336657
what? Are you saying evertime I have to use my password I should look for a pc to plug my drive in?

>>55336699
I don't want to pull up my phone everytime I have to use my password somewhere. Also what if I don't have my phone on me?
>>
>>55336764
Jesus fuck man, you're the one that brought phones up in the first place. You have your answer, fuck off.
>>
>>55336764
You just solved both of your problems
>>
>>55336788
I swear it's fucking retarded. I log in at temporary school account sessions every fucking day. I log in on friends pc's and phones. Password managers would be a fucking pain.

>>55336808
I did not have a problem, I asked if it would be good to have a few set passwords use for different "privacy" levels.
>>
>>55336764
I'm not saying it doesn't suck. It would be great if there was a better solution. But you asked a question, and the answer is pretty straightforward. It IS a bad idea to reuse passwords, the less you do it the better. Of course having 4 passwords is better than one, but it still potentially leaves you open to a lot of risk.
>>
>>55336609
Why is this board so useless?
>>
Does Windows 10 have sandbox like Ubuntu?
>>
>>55336659
For the price that's about as good as you'll get. I would go with the AOC just cause the reviewers claim it has a lot better color, and for non-IPS I think that's a worthwhile thing to look for. You might like higher size/2k better tho unless you just live for shooters
>>
>>55336952
Yeah I kinda play shooters only. and higher size would cost me more too, all I really want is 144hz 1ms low input lag and I dont want my eyes to get fucked by the colors
>>
>>55336947
Is there an echo in here?
>>
What's the best budget MP3 player? I bought the Fiio M3 but it doesn't display all my files because I have a 128gb card in it. So I'm returning it next Tuesday.

Budget is 60 dollars.
>>
>>55336971
Fair enough. It sounds like the Asus's primary weakness is washed out colors, and the AOC looks pretty good for a TN. Not everyone needs IPS level coloring but I think having immersive, or at least not shitty colors makes more difference than most people realize.
>>
>>55337072
Would you have any other suggestions for that price, with better colors perhaps?
>>
>>55336947
Windows 10 has some sandbox-like features in it. Store apps and edge browser are sandboxed. They call it AppContainers. But I don't think it's sandboxed on the level you're thinking, and most people overestimate sandboxes anyway
>>
Is it really worth it to invest in a quadro(or any workstation GPU) for CAD software or is it a waste of time and money?
>>
>>55334564
Unplug the cable, push the power button. There goes your discharge.
>>
File: compare please.png (334 KB, 1351x755) Image search: [Google]
compare please.png
334 KB, 1351x755
Could someone give me a brief comparison of these two?
>>
>>55333084
Is it a good idea to buying a cheap fan when you are building a PC? Is it a good idea overall to be a cheapskate for any components other than the CPU and the graphics card?
>>
Are there any good alternatives to the Windows Volume Controller?
>>
>>55337192
the noise will most likely be high but besides from that, you should be fine.
>>
File: Android_apps.png (2 MB, 1000x4700) Image search: [Google]
Android_apps.png
2 MB, 1000x4700
Is there a "Recommended iPhone Apps" list that /g/ made?
>>
>>55337084
No, those are actually the only two 144Hz monitors trending on slickdeals. One important thing is if you have AMD cards I would definitely go with the AOC for its Freesync. That makes a big difference when you are trying to power 144 fps. Unfortunately Gsync is proprietary and usually only comes in pricier monitors
>>
>>55336994
Shut up if you don't know the answer.
>>
I've got an overclocked i5 6400 and I've recently heard L1 cache speeds drop by 8x after the non k oc. I've only heard this in one forum post and cant find any more information. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Specifically looking for info on which applications are most affected and if there is a way to minimize the slow down.
>>
what does != mean?
>>
>>55337433
It means 'not equal to'.
>>
>>55337185
Both come with windows 10, but the pi can run custom linux too. The wintron looks to be another shitty, laggy tablet with the trademark low res screen and no doubt unacceptably terrible battery life. It's probably hard locked to windows too. The pi should technically be weaker given the low cost SOC processor and super budget ram, but I expect with linux on it and set to a specific task like home media server or something it would actually be more responsive and useful. But it's not a tablet, so you do need a screen, peripherals etc.
>>
>>55337407
or if the slow down even does actually occur
>>
>>55337443
No, I mean outside of programming, like as an English statement

Like if I had some pizza and it wasn't delicious, could I post "pizza != delicious" on a forum and expect people to know what I mean?
>>
>>55337481
Yes, at least on tech/programming board, in a colloquial context. I wouldn't expect the average person to know, though. It's best to use English words instead. Just write 'pizza isn't delicious'.
>>
>>55337459
Thanks.
I forgot to mention to ignore the windows10.
People have sucessfully installed linux on it.
So I guess when my aplication calls for a touchscreen and battery the tablet is the better choice?
>>
>>55337407
I don't know anything about this specifically, but overclocking a non-k processor sounds dodgy as hell. That's putting a lot of faith in the silicone to do something it wasn't designed for. Even if it was build to mostly the same spec, it's possible some critical safety component was left out, like additional voltage controls. Also you might as well light your warrentee on fire
>>
This is a small and stupid question, but i'm a noob and am not sure if this could work: Can i copy a live cd's xorg config to a computer's main OS and have it correct my screen resolution that way? Puppy linux's live cd has great hardware support, but slitaz doesnt...
>>
>>55337433
!= -> not equal to
ex. banana != apple (the banana is not the same as the apple)

:= -> becomes
ex. banana := apple (the banana is now an apple)
>>
LinkedIn is a necessary evil.

Is it possible to hide (likely with a firefox extension?) the very slanted "news you can't miss today"?

Thank you. I get enough propaganda shoved down my throat.
>>
>>55337523
I'm hesitant to ever call tablets that cheap the "better choice" but if the battery life isn't so bad it goes dead from being on standby overnight then sure, knock yourself out. But I feel like in most use cases you would probably be better served either by a cheap phone flashed to cyanogenmod or the pi running the highly optimized apps and firmware the community has developed to make the most out of it
>>
>>55337659
Well microsoft bot linkedin and they're planning to integrate it into Office so just open up word and you should be golden
>>
When will I be able to buy a 1070 again?

Is there any 9xx series card that will give me better perf/dollar?

Is rx480 still good value, even if it wasn't what many people were hoping it would be?
>>
Best way to fuck with my sister's macbook? She forgot to lock it before leaving.
>>
>>55337844
change keyboard layout to dvorak
>>
Is it possible for a Trojan to persist after you reflash BIOS and reinstall OS? If yes, where could the Trojan be hiding?
>>
why don't I see any desktop threads on here anymore??
>>
>>55337851
Good idea anon, thanks. Easy and innocent.
>>
>>55337844
eat a bottle of laxatives and shit on it. She'll never be able to tell the difference, but she'll be wondering what smells!

hehehehe XD XD
Mac is shit lol
>>
I want to learn about server clusters. How can I start?
>>
>>55337884
because we already have two wallpaper/desktop modification boards
>>
Windows just gave me a popup saying there was a problem with my HDD, but both defraggler and CrystaldiskInfo say its health is good

How worried should I be?
>>
>>55337935
so... do they get locked now, or is it that people have just migrated?

Like, if I were to post one, would I get banned? Or has everyone pretty much just moved elsewhere?
>>
>>55337878
In your install media. If you are using a recovery partition a virus can lodge itself in there sometimes. And external disks, flash drives etc. Also you would want to make sure all partitions were formatted, including the 100 mb hidden one windows usually installs.
>>
(require 'package)
; add MELPA to repository list
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/"))
; init package.el
(package-initialize)

(require 'auto-complete)
(require 'auto-complete-config)
(ac-config-default)

(require 'yasnippet)
(yas-global-mode 1)
;(defun add-yasnippet-ac-sources ()
; (add-to-list 'ac-sources 'ac-source-yasnippet))
;(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'add-yasnippet-ac-sources)
; Relative row numbers
;(require 'linum-relative)
;(global-linum-mode nil)
;(linum-relative-toggle)

(defun add-yasnippet-ac-sources ()
(add-to-list 'ac-sources 'ac-source-yasnippet))
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'ac-source-yasnippet)

Doesn't load my own snippets. I.e. I want it to auto-complete \be to \begin{} \end{}. But it doesn't.
If I remove auto-complete atleast it gives me the snippet.

Any idea, /g/urus?
>>
>>55334971
Thanks anon.
>>
>>55337981
yes you would definitely get banned. I wouldn't risk it.
>>
>>55337980
I also just ran Samsung Magician's SMART thingy on the HDD and it says everything is OK
>>
I have an assistant that can't type and I really need him to know how to do that. What's an effective, free tool to teach him typing unsupervised?
>>
>>55337980
Not worried at all, because you've no doubt been doing regular backups. I would see if the drive manufacturer has made a utility to check their disks. Also run error checking from windows. If it produces more than a few errors, that's generally a bad sign. But at this stage I wouldn't wig out too hard
>>
>>55338021
look at Speccy under your storage media.

Send me a pic of the data from the drive.
>>
>>55337801
480 just came out. Give it at least a weak to get proper benchmarks and reviews out from the pros. Unless you want a shite card now is a great time to be patient
>>
>>55337539
with skylake didn't they move all the voltage control stuff to the mobo? not entirely sure just something i remember hearing
>>
File: sfc.jpg (176 KB, 1327x599) Image search: [Google]
sfc.jpg
176 KB, 1327x599
>>55338046
I do have backups but there's nothing truly critical on that disk so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost what's on it, and my SO is on the SSD anyway. I just don't want to go through the hassle of RMAing

I'm googling for a Toshiba utility tool but can't find anything

I just ran sfc and chkdsk and got this
>>
>>55337989
Does deleting all partitions during the Windows installation process achieve the same result as formatting all partitions?

I deleted all partitions and all their storage went into unallocated space then i installed Windows in that space.
>>
File: smart.jpg (115 KB, 805x805) Image search: [Google]
smart.jpg
115 KB, 805x805
>>55338048
This?
>>
File: 1.jpg (104 KB, 1000x544) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
104 KB, 1000x544
>>55338125
I did this too

Every scan I've ran said there was nothing wrong but obviously Windows did find a problem of some sort earlier. The pop up appeared right as I selected a picture to post on another thread, a picture which is located on the apparently failing drive, but dunno if that's just a coincidence
>>
>>55338111
Yeah that should do it. A bios trojan can withstand a flash or pretty much anything, but it's very rare anything gets in there without the manufacturer inserting in like lenovo did. If your windows installer is clean you should be good.
>>
>>55338236
Thanks.
Will reflashing BIOS remove BIOS Trojan?
>>
>>55338125
Seems fine. IDK what it detected
>>
Is a Creative Vibra 128/CT4810 a good sound card for DOS games? I've done some googling and I can quite find a definate answer. Could a card like this run in pure DOS mode from 6.22?

And also, what drivers should I look for to run it in this configuration?
>>
File: hdd_price_per_gb-640x376.png (127 KB, 640x376) Image search: [Google]
hdd_price_per_gb-640x376.png
127 KB, 640x376
Why are used hard drives not significantly cheaper per GB than new hard drives?

I was looking for cheap drives on ebay and I'd end up paying more for 8 250GB drives than I would for a new 2 TB drive on Amazon. The same was true pretty much on any example I calculated.
>>
>>55338255
Guess I'll just forget about it until a new popup appears
>>
>>55338206
Just like to confirm you selected "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Big thing is your results didn't show any bad sectors, so I'm guessing you just had a little file corruption from some temporary error, your system bitched about it, and the scan corrected it. If you don't have any additional symptoms i'd relax
>>
My Samsung Galaxy Tab S is all of a sudden not being recognized for some reason, it was working fine until now, the cable is working, I plug it in and the tablet gives that charging sound, but no sound from the pc, I even downloaded the driver for it and it installed it, but when I plugged the tablet in again it played the sound and says driver not found. I enabled usb debugging, what the fuck.
>>
>>55338300
yeah, and if it does, screenshot it, and also take note of the error number
>>
>>55333084
It seems like I simply can't disable Secure Boot on my Windows 8 BIOS. I've tried switching between UEFI and Legacy settings, but I still think Secure Boot is enabled. My BIOS won't let me disable it at all. It's just greyed out and I can't navigate down through the security menu.

Can it be done? Can I disable Secure Boot?
>>
>>55337997
Any emacs gurus about?
>>
>>55338307
>Just like to confirm you selected "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"
I ran the scan again with that enabled and it's been stuck at 13577 files processed for a while now
>>
>>55338253
Well it would be an unusual place for an attack to take place, and the trojan would have to be coded with that motherboard model in mind. So it's very unlikely you would get that kind of infection in the first place, but if you did it would likely have the ability to survive a bios flash. In particular if the company who made the motherboard or pc put it on there then there's probably nothing you can do. I wouldn't worry about it unless you've got a specific reason to believe it's been tampered with.
>>
File: wtf.png (19 KB, 378x442) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
19 KB, 378x442
I have "automatically expand to current folder" unchecked but when I click on a folder it still expands in the navigation pane and it's driving me nuts.

Why the fuck is it doing this?
>>
>>55338343
bump
>>
File: gJ9RVqe.jpg (71 KB, 419x363) Image search: [Google]
gJ9RVqe.jpg
71 KB, 419x363
So I just checked and one of the ground wires on my 24 pin atx power connector just broke. Pic related, that one at the right side.

Am I fucked? I'm not specially savvy on this subject.
>>
>>55338543
have you tried a different usb port? my game controller suddenly stopped working on a usb 3 port one day so i tried a usb 2 port and it works fine now
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
>>55338551
one quick response question:
How did it break?
>>
>>55338343
bumping, please help.
>>
>>55338551
can you just solder it? where is it broken? also how the fuck did it break?
>>
>>55338572
Yeah tried all the ports and also different cables, windows update is a piece of shit with finding drivers, it just continues to load if I select it to find the driver with windows update.
>>
>>55338524
what exactly do you mean?
Can you give another picture of the problem instead of the options?

If you don't unexpand a folder, the next time you try to expand that destination it will stay open and will automatically go to where you left that little triangle down.
>>
>>55338343
Turn USB debugging back off. Check your usb settings on galaxy. They may be under storage, or listed as their own setting group "PC connection". For USB connection method choose media sync. If that doesn't work, uninstall drivers, restart pc, reinstall driver, restart galaxy then reconnect
>>
>>55337732

>b-but not on micro$oft

Fuck this normie shit. Maybe if a place asks for my profile I shouldn't be working there.
>>
File: fuck me.jpg (153 KB, 734x979) Image search: [Google]
fuck me.jpg
153 KB, 734x979
>>55338573
I really don't know. I just checked, the cable itself seems fine (it wasn't just cut but the round metal little thingie that held the cable seems to have been crushed by an unknown force
>>
File: pile_of_shit.jpg (116 KB, 1352x918) Image search: [Google]
pile_of_shit.jpg
116 KB, 1352x918
We need a non reference cheese grater ayylmao
>>
>>55338587
Unfortunately I don't know how to solder and I don't have a station for it either.
>>
>>55338343
>>55338619
Also don't use windows drivers. Download the driver package for your model at samsung com /us/support/downloads
>>
Goodmorning /g/uys.
I have a question for you. Recently i bought a enermax triathlor 650w eco from a firend for 25 euros. Now i have a 630W sirtec made berlin. The enermax appears to be CWT.
In your opinion what should i do? Should i sell the berlin and keep the enermax or should i sell the triathlor and keep the berlin?
Thanks /gentooman
>>
File: trash.png (19 KB, 424x427) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
19 KB, 424x427
constant overheating and 24/7 fan how do i cool this down better or if at all.
>>
Lel, 10 minutes in, sis hasnt figured out what the problem is yet.

She is currently listing down which key does what in a notebook.
>>
File: wtf.png (158 KB, 1151x491) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
158 KB, 1151x491
>>55338615
so for example I'm on H:\. I want to go into my folder, Animu, to transfer some files to an SD card. When I click on Animu in the right, it automatically expands the folders in the left pane to my location, and if I open from another folder in the right pane, it expands that folder in the left pane as well.

However, I don't have that option selected, yet it's still doing it, and making transferring files in PITA because I just want to drag from the right pane to the SD card's location in the left pane

Why is it doing this automatically? I'm sick of unexpanding it every time, and yes, I know there are work arounds like opening a second window but I just want to fix this shit
>>
File: driver.png (34 KB, 534x208) Image search: [Google]
driver.png
34 KB, 534x208
>>55338748
Already done that, disabled usb debugging, uninstalled the drivers, restarted the pc, reinstalled drivers, rebooted tablet, plugged it in, no change. It showed this when I turned it back on but I didn't have the tablet connected.
>>
File: ss (2016-06-30 at 04.44.13).png (11 KB, 493x208) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-06-30 at 04.44.13).png
11 KB, 493x208
Is this enough for a 460 Watt system?
>>
I'd i want to buy rx 480. Which brand should it be?
>>
>>55338815
If you plug in something else like a flashdrive at this point does your PC recognize it? Is there another computer you could try connecting the tablet to? and if you go to your pc's device manager does it show any yellow uninstalled devices?
>>
>>55338829
Anything but AMD. Which incidentally is the only company who is going to be selling them for the next month or two, because they've only released reference units so far.
>>
File: Capture.png (42 KB, 307x518) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
42 KB, 307x518
>>55338885
Yeah, usb flashdrives work, and yes, Pic related, whenever I try locating the driver with the file manager it say's it doesn't detect it?
>>
File: Untitled.png (142 KB, 822x1294) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
142 KB, 822x1294
>>55338801
So i'm fiddling with it atm and from what I can see is all that option changes is when you're opening a shortcut folder or such on your desktop.

top if with option off
bottom is with option on

I don't believe their is a way to stop it from doing what you want it to stop doing...
>>
>>55338909
I can choose, MSI rade on xfx Asus. Was asking about these
>>
I'm looking for a couple hard drives for my NAS and I saw this on eBay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/WD-RE-SAS-4TB-Enterprise-Hard-Drive-7200-RPM-SAS-32-MB-Cache-WD4001FYYG-4-TB-/272284775672?nav=SEARCH

It says that they're recertified by WD. It it too good to be true? Should I buy?
>>
What's a good 4chan extension for firefox/win 7 64? 4chan X is not allowing me to post anymore, I can post fine with it disabled
>>
Video card shopping... Asus, Evga, Msi?
>>
>>55338953
appchan x
>>
>>55338775
Shameless self bump.
I got triple dubs and a glorious 775
>>
>>55338712
see if you cant find a guide on custom sleeving psu cables, that will let you know how to get the pin out of the connector, then pry the pin open with a small screw driver or something, then stick your cable into the pin and crimp it with pliers or something.
>>
There's a website I visit that I can't connect to if I type directly in the URL bar. I can only access it if I use a bookmark link. Even if I type in the exact URL that the bookmark has, the website page says it isn't found. If I copy the bookmark's url, which is exactly the same, into the URL bar, it works fine though. Why is this? The problem is the same on both firefox and chrome. Chrome gives a server DNS address could not be found, name not resolved message.

The website is younmai.me
>>
>>55338783
could try new thermal paste but its probably just fucked
>>
>>55338956
What card?

Also you can usually find a good review of the same card but with different aftermarket heating and clocks. just google search for something like: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-asus-and-msi-top-end-amd-radeon-r9-290x-graphics-cards-compared
>>
>>55338998
Gtx 1070. Had a founders lined up but that damn blower makes me not trust it, even though it's rated to run hot without many issues
>>
>>55338930
>>
>>55338930
Right click universal serial bus controller, click properties, details tab, click arrow under property, select compatable ids, do a screencap
>>
>>55338965 (You)
What port should i connect the dock to get the best charging result? Is it okay if i use the usb of the tv? Or use usb 3 port?
>>
File: Capture.png (6 KB, 266x238) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6 KB, 266x238
>>55339053
>>
>>55338933
right, I have that option off but it's behaving as if it were on. I know it's been the way I want it because it was yesterday and every day before, but today it's behaving like this. The only difference is that I've plugged in a USB card reader that just arrived but I don't see how that could possibly affect this
>>
>>55339033
The "Update Driver" tool doesn't work with executables like that. Only loose driver files.

Just run the executable normally or try seeing if it's a self-extracting executable by running 7-zip on it.

If it is in fact a self-extracting executable and you're able to extract the loose files, then you can install it in the way you just tried.
>>
File: Capture.png (10 KB, 203x390) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10 KB, 203x390
>>55339124
Ran 7-zip on it and got this, not sure what I should be looking at.
>>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282056078546
Is this a good computer for its price?
If not, what should I choose?
>>
>>55339154
When in doubt, click on setup
>>
Do I need a 144hz monitor for the RX 480?
>>
is 30 idle for a CPU normal?
or is the temperature meter fucked
>>
>>55339288
Do you need a 52 inch TV to play PS4 games?
>>
>>55339321
It's ok. What could/clock speed
>>
>>55333084
I ditched iTunes years ago after a bunch of headaches, now starting to miss music in my life.

What linux player should i use to help fill my void?

Only need a few simple features, play list, shuffle, export to MP3 player, volume equalizer adjustments. But I really want LONG TERM SUPPORT as every time think of moving it falls apart and I am not going to be resetting up my libraries every few years.
>>
File: coolit-eco-alc-tek.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
coolit-eco-alc-tek.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
>>55339421
I'll assume you meant cooler/clock speed

I'm not entirely sure, I set the cpu to 95% power consumption because my PC would shutdown under load otherwise.
Using a coolit eco that's at least 8 years old.
Gave the radiator a bloody good clean today and added a second fan.
>>
>>55339585
Foobar2k
>>
>>55339608
Get hwmonitor and check the speeds there and temps
>>
what happened to fireden archives? I can't search the archives anymore there
>>
File: dsdas.png (37 KB, 640x808) Image search: [Google]
dsdas.png
37 KB, 640x808
>>55339625
ah.
stock speed is 4ghz and it's running at 3.4
that explains it
>>
I want to buy new harddrives for my Server / NAS.
It doesn't run 24/7, I only wake it up via WOL when I want to watch something via Kodi or access some files.
Would it be better to buy desktop or NAS drives for it? Looking at 4TB and 6TB drives right now, probably going for either Seagate (Desktop / NAS) or WD (Blue / Red).
>>
cinebench r15 saves each cpu score in a txt.
is there a way or a program to extract all of these scores and put them in an excel file?
>>
>>55338821
500 * 0,8 = 400.
Unless you buy a Gold, Platinum or Titanium rated 80+ PSU, get at least a 600W one.
>>
>>55338952
>http://m.ebay.com/itm/WD-RE-SAS-4TB-Enterprise-Hard-Drive-7200-RPM-SAS-32-MB-Cache-WD4001FYYG-4-TB-/272284775672?nav=SEARCH

It's basically a dead drive which got repaired by WD. It can be really hit or miss. I had a lot of refurbished / recertified HDDs die on me pretty quickly. Just spend a couple bucks more and get a new consumer NAS drive instead
>>
>>55338821
how have you determined that your system consumes 460 watts?

anyhow , the numbers don't add up. on the 12v rails it says max output 408w but if you do the math the total wattage based on the given amps is 540. similar result comes from the 3.3 and 5v rails
>>
>>55339721
that is wrong. when a psu says it is a 500w unit it means it can provide 500w and it can potentially draw more than 500 from the wall.

>>55338821
to answer the question , it is going to be barely enough (provided it is a good brand psu) and after a while , due to the parts being on their limit all the time, it will fail.
>>
>>55338961
but that doesn't allow me to rename images
>>
howdy

What's the easiest way to switch 200GB of data from one HDD to the other on Windows 10? I have like maybe 10 GB free on each but don't want to repeatedly wait and move files...
>>
>>55339799
It does not mean that at all. If a psu says it can provide 500w then you still have to factor in the efficiency.
>>
>>55339956
Use a third HDD.
>>
File: CRh4BrzUEAExi-T.jpg (23 KB, 436x467) Image search: [Google]
CRh4BrzUEAExi-T.jpg
23 KB, 436x467
>>55339997
I'm sorry for having you make a mistake if I implied I had a third drive, but sadly I don't.
>>
>>55339956
Download Teracopy
>>
>>55339979
check out a psu review. for example jonnuguru was testing a 700w 80+ silver be quiet psu. while supplying the system with ~700 watts it drew from the wall ~830. that makes an efficiency of ~84% since 830 * 0.84 = ~700.
>>
>>55333084
cheapest but decent brand for ssd for laptops? also add the more expensive ones for reference
>>
I forget the name for that internet middle-man which you can let your internet traffic pass through, was it proxy?

no bullying
>>
>>55340043
I can set set up two task lists but one says need moar space and the other is "Waiting for other transfers". Can't hit either ignore nor stop, won't respond.
>>
My monitor is experiencing a vertical tear consistently in one place, is this my video card or monitor dying?
>>
>>55333084
what does sudo stand for?
>>
>>55340223
substitute user do
>>
i'm tired of being suspicious about what OS , browser and websites i use. how can i become a normie and stop caring about all this?
>>
>>55340236
go outside
>>
What podcasts should I be listening to? I'm currently only listening to CGP Grey's two predates, Hello Internet and Cortex. Does anyone listen to them and can recommend some new ones?
>>
When do you think skylake processors will get cheaper? Like the i3s. Want a budget build but fuck paying 130 for a dual-core with hyper threading.
>>
>>55340228
in linux?
>>
>>55340332
what other sudo do you mean? be more specific in your questions.
>>
With a stock RX 480/GTX 1060 and a stock i5 6500, would a 200 mm fan on the front and a 120 mm fan on the back of this case be enough cooling?

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Black-Extreme-Chassis-CA-1D5-00S1WN-00/dp/B00PDDMN6S?ie=UTF8&tag=pcpapi-20
>>
Is it possible to rice chrome? I know firefox is better for this but some of my chrome extensions doesnt have a firefox version
>>
File: Untasditled.png (21 KB, 361x544) Image search: [Google]
Untasditled.png
21 KB, 361x544
How is this possible?
>>
>>55340435
hidden files aren't getting counted in that dialog.
use something like windirstat to see what uses all that space.
>>
File: build1.png (82 KB, 992x634) Image search: [Google]
build1.png
82 KB, 992x634
Good afternoon friends, I am getting ready to purchase all the parts for my first PC build and was wondering if I could receive some feedback on it. I know you all hate newfags that shit up /g/ with their ignorance, especially about builds, so I figured I'd take it here instead of creating my own thread.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is the RAM being only 2400 mhz, is the difference noticeable from 3000mhz plus? Any other thoughts besides that concern? Thanks.
>>
File: build2.png (51 KB, 565x441) Image search: [Google]
build2.png
51 KB, 565x441
My brother's 4 year old budget build, which is the image + a GTX 650, is starting to have trouble with certain games like Overwatch, so I wanted to figure out what to get for going forward.

It will probably be an RX 480 and a CPU if necessary.

Is an A10-5800k still a viable CPU for gaming in 2016 and going forward?
>>
The name of this computer is my name "Steve" however, when I copy a path, or go to C:\Users it lists my name as "Stev". Going into the properties of my computer, it says "Steve". What is causing this? I can't rename the folder.
>>
>>55340435
Download SpaceSniffer and check out exactly what is using the data.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.