[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, I just purchased a Seagate 2Tb Desktop SSHD today to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
Hey /g/,

I just purchased a Seagate 2Tb Desktop SSHD today to upgrade from my old 5400rpm Seagate hard drive. I've been trying to transfer files over from the old drive to the new, but the speeds keeping dropping.
It seems to start by moving files from 80+Mb/s for about 30 seconds or so before dropping down to 0.5-2Mb/s for the remainder of the transfer. What is the problem here?
>>
>>55332892
did you connect both HDDs via SATA?
are there lots of small files? these transfer much slower than a few big files
>>
File: 8201b9274d[1].png (9 KB, 447x280) Image search: [Google]
8201b9274d[1].png
9 KB, 447x280
>>55332906
Yes, both with SATA3 cables.

I suppose there are a lot of small files when transferring games, but then there's >pic related, a big video file.
>>
>>55332892
does it occur again if you stop & resume the transfer?
>>
>>55332892
defrag your HDD before moving files. If files are fragmented, you lose a lot of transfer speed while the disk heads have to move all over the disk to get read all the parts of a single file, which of course is a huge waste of time.
>>
>>55332934
Paused the movie transfer, took a good half a minute before I could resume it, still going the same speed.

>>55332939
The old hard drive isn't very fragmented. Even so, when I tried to move Rainbow Six Siege (which is over 18gb) it was starting fast and then becoming slow. I deleted it entirely off the old drive and instead began to download it from Uplay onto the sshd, and it is still being just as slow.
Also, it looks like the download completely stopped for a good few moments, and Uplay thought my internet dropped.
>>
>>55332992
uplay might use a temp folder on C:\ so its basically the same setup as transferring

might be faulty, try in a different pc / take it back with warranty
>>
Post your results:
http://www.hdtune.com/
>>
>>55332892
Install Gentoo.
>>
>sshd
You could just buy a gun and a pack of bullets and shoot yourself.
>>
I had a similar issue with a WD drive, turns out it was a shitty SATA cable causing it, if all else fails try using a different cable.
>>
>>55332892
it buffers the writes into the ssd portion to begin with, then tanks once the write buffer runs out and it has to start writing out the buffer to the hdd portion, in addition to the data you're writing
>>
>>55335896
while true, should not justify 2MB/sec speed
>>
File: suicide-gun-full.jpg (70 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
suicide-gun-full.jpg
70 KB, 1000x750
>>55332930
>Zootopia 2016 1080p HDRip x264 AC3-JYK
>x264
>not using superior in every way x265
off yourself faggot
>>
>>55337062
it's not impossible if it's tons of tiny files
seek latency is pretty shit on 5400rpm hdd's
>>
>>55332892
>sshd
>seagate
>zootopia

kill yourself faggot
>>
Inside Out > Zootopia
>>
File: trash.png (407 KB, 570x489) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
407 KB, 570x489
>>55339939
>your opinions
>>
File: diskspeed.png (57 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
diskspeed.png
57 KB, 1440x900
>tfw you didn't fall for the SSHD meme
>>
Return it OP.

Every manufacturer uses shit parts in those things because there's no real-world scenario where they make any sense for use, so they're bottom-of-the-bin trash sold to people who don't understand caching and buy into marketing hype. The only thing they're good at is dying.

If you want a lot of storage, get an HDD. If you want fast storage, get a SSD. If you want both fast AND a lot of capacity, go on ebay, snag an LSI, and build a RAID10 array. Can't afford it? Well that's the cost of getting both worlds.

This "magical mix of SSHD" is snake oil and nothing more.
>>
>>55332892
Put your SATA controller into AHCI mode.

Also
>Falling for SSHD bait
>>
>>55339974
<<<Angry Birds: The Movie>>> > all
>>
>>55332892
That's the cache filling up and flushing. Not a problem, working as intended. Also the SSD part is only filled with often used files and not used as cache.
>>
>SSHD

Why?

Get a refund and get an SSD + HDD.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.