[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game engines are technology. Is there anything this setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: DOOMx64 2016-06-29 22-59-36-49.jpg (2 MB, 3160x3392) Image search: [Google]
DOOMx64 2016-06-29 22-59-36-49.jpg
2 MB, 3160x3392
Game engines are technology.

Is there anything this setting does other than killing your framerate by half? I am confused as to what this does and why this setting is here. In terms of visual difference, I see none.
>>
>>55331144
>>>/vg/agdg

this board is for maki and for disparaging indian people and for discussing gpu manufacturers
>>
>>55331144
Holy dubs combo
>>
see this thread for what I meant by that:
>>55329520
>>
>>55331144

Fucking witnessed.
>>
Isn't the page size just the size of the cache in memory? Maybe I'm misreading that setting completely, but it would seem like something you should tune based on the amount of VRAM you have and nothing else.
>>
I would like to see more development for the Serious Engine for GNU/Linux. I'd love to play the old Serious Sam games.
>>
It's clearly the one on the top. You need new glasses or a new monitor.
>>
>>55331274
I wish they opened up the source, it's a really impressive engine.
>>
>>55331294
They have already freed the old Serious Engine. It's on github and under GPLv2
>>
>>55331294
>>55331274
Glad to see I'm not the only fan of the serious engine ITT.

My jaw dropped when I saw they had an option to use lanczos interpolation when rendering at a lower resolution.

They were also the first people to support vulkan, in any game, ever.
>>
>>55331345
I can't wait for a stable port of it for GNU/Linux. I played Serious Sam 3 on Windows once and was blown away. It really is awesome. And I hear that even the first engine was fucking incredible for it's time.

I'm all Linux all the time now and I love running old games on free engines.
>>
File: 1423970835038.jpg (88 KB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
1423970835038.jpg
88 KB, 700x520
>>55331144
holy shit
>>
>>55331278
Really do I now?

Because the bottom one is ultra.
>>
>>55331144
bottom is slightly less jaggy
>>
>>55331550
>>>/b/
>>
>>55332153
O-Obviously!
I was just testing you. You passed.
>>
File: ultra.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ultra.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
here are 2 more, see file name
>>
File: low.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
low.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>
that setting shouldn't change the visual quality of the textures. it just changes how the textures are cached to optimize cache hits and misses.
>>
>>55332278
ah. can you explain "textures are cached to optimize cache hits and misses"?

As for the setting, why is it there? shouldnt the game be able to dynamically manage this setting?
>>
>>55332298
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_(computing)
>>
>>55332298
he doesn't have a fucking clue what it means, just parroting marketing terms he heard before
>>
Virtual Texturing is that tech based god Carmack introduced where you apply one massive texture to a gameworld rather than a bunch of smaller repeated ones. So the page size must be how much of those massive textures are stored in RAM. If you have insufficient RAM for the highest setting, you're going to get a performance decrease as the game needs your VRAM to do other things as well.

t. person who knows nothing about actual graphics programming
>>
>>55334277
Oops, where I say RAM, I mean VRAM.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.