[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good advanced linux distro that doesn't have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: Linux-Penguin.png (458 KB, 2000x2320) Image search: [Google]
Linux-Penguin.png
458 KB, 2000x2320
What's a good advanced linux distro that doesn't have a retarded "le advanced user" install system? I have been thinking about using debian, but the packages seem to be too old. And if I am forced to use the "hard way" for installing, is Gentoo actually any good?
>>
>>55330826
Use Debian testing or build the packages yourself. It's not hard at all desu.
>>
Arch or Debian
>>
>>55330826
Debian Stable isn't the only release of Debian
>>
>>55330826
Gentoo or Slackware. You can't call a binary distro advanced by any means.
>>
>>55330826
>advanced linux distro
>falling for this meme
b-but Anon if you like Linux you should do everything from the ground up.
>>
Arch being hard is a meme, it's pretty easy as long as you understand english and follow the instructions https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/beginners'_guide
>>
>>55330826
archbang

It's a more friendly arch
>>
>>55330971
Whats good about gentoo?
Is it really worth installing?
>>
>>55331033
Arch is not hard, just autistic for no real reason.
>>
>>55330826
ubuntu
>>
>>55330826
If you have to ask you probably don't have a good reason to use one
Just use an easy one first
>>
>>55330826
bump for non gpu thread
xxxx
>>
>>55330826
lmde. like debian but more stuff pre-configured, like drivers and wifi. uses linux mint themes and DEs as well. Nice compromise. It's like less bulky ubuntu.
>>
>>55331070
The only non-trivial difference between distros is the package manager and repos. Portage is the most advanced package manager there is. Pacman is second.
>>
>>55330838
>>55330961
Desu.
>>
>>55331103
Is gentoo very dual-bootable on first try?
>>
>>55331124
Not at all. If you want something you will get right on first try with no prior research, just install Ubuntu.
>>
>>55331159
okay, Maybe I will try dual booting it/installing normally in a VM, so that I don't screw up my other OS
>>
>>55331103
I would say the Nix-OS or GUIXSD package managers are a close second. I can't vouch fully for either though because I haven't used them.
>>
>>55331070
Gentoo is good, and actually fairly easy to install, but it's objectively autistic. Source packaging means significantly higher ( hours vs minutes or seconds) install time for little performance benefit.
>>
>>55331124
It depends, for me personally it is safer since I prefer to keep grub out of the MBR and most distros don't even present the option of installing grub to a partition.
>>
>>55330826

Antergos
>>
File: 1459789761579.jpg (98 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1459789761579.jpg
98 KB, 500x333
>>55330826
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55331223
>little performance benefit
USE flags matter a lot more than --march=native
>>
>>55331223
>for little performance benefit
Wait, why would compiling from source give you a performance benefit?
>>
>>55331273
True.

>>55331288
The executable you get is tailored to your system/instruction set instead of "generic x64 with maximum available features."
>>
Antergos

Arch without the autism™
>>
>>55331273
Are you sure?
I'm looking at this and march=native doesn't seem to matter much.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gcc_49_optimizations&num=1
>>
Do any game engines run well at all on Linux? I heard Unreal and Unity have Linux versions but have not seen any performance
>>
>>55331319
Can I rice Antegros just as much as Arch?
>>
>>55331223
>easy to install

Fuck off. I've been trying to get Gentoo working for the past three days and I'm on the verge off just saying fuck it and installing Arch and dealing with breakage or installing Debian and having an installer build my system.
>>
>>55331330
>march=native doesn't seem to matter much
that's what I said lol
>>
Antergos I guess.
>>
>>55331334
I've tested eduke32 for running Duke Nukem 3d on a core2duo laptop. It runs great.
>>
>>55331361
Where are you stuck?
>>
>>55331353
No, the Antergos end-user license specifically forbids you from ricing your desktop, punishable by death
>>
>>55331353
You can rice any distro with ease, Arch just gives a blank slate. Debian netinst does the same thing.

>>55331361
I only installed it once but it didn't seem hard. Just a test of patience because everything takes for-fucking-ever to build.
>>
>>55331386

I'm done with the LiveCD installation. I'm sitting at terminal failing to startx and I don't even know how to connect to my Wireless network. That may be because of my autismo though.
>>
>>55331316
>The executable you get is tailored to your system/instruction set instead of "generic x64 with maximum available features."
Okay, but what's the point? It's not like you're getting vectorization or anything from it. The core instructions are relatively the same since amd64..

And for stuff where performance *really* matters, they have intrinsics or assembly which they load at runtime based on your CPU either way.

All I'm saying that is if you compile from source simply because you believe it will increase your performance, then you are a massive fucking idiot.
>>
>>55331408
Did you install the xf86-video-* for your GPU? Did you install wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd?
>>
>>55331416
I said that. There is little performance benefit to compiling from source for everything, though you do get increased customization.

Can you read?
>>
>>55330971
slackware is surprisingly nice, other than it's lack of decent package management (there is a package manager that checks dependencies these days though, slapt-get, which is mostly just a front-end for the normal package system)
slackware also doesn't give a shit about being bloated (at least, in terms of disk space, which is cheap nowadays, it's pretty lean on the hardware other than that), install everything on the image if you don't want problems later

it's very simple to install and get to grips with
not quite user-friendly, no fancy GUI installer, but it takes you step by step and just asks you some shit and you're done, it is extremely uncomplicated

>>55331033
arch is easy because the wiki is one of the best pieces of documentation I've seen in a long time, it's really nice, enough that I've consulted it quite a bit when having issues with an Ubuntu install

but there's no reason to do that typing to install it manually, it's fucking retarded (shit, you could write a shell script based on the instructions that would automate the majority if not all of the process, why the fuck isn't that a part of the release process, it doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to work)
>>
>>55331434
>I said that.
Where did you say that in >>55331316 ?
>>
>>55331446
see >>55331223
>Source packaging means significantly higher ( hours vs minutes or seconds) install time for little performance benefit.
>>
File: PauSTdx.jpg (28 KB, 250x286) Image search: [Google]
PauSTdx.jpg
28 KB, 250x286
Do I go with Arch or Debian?
I just want something that werks with room for ricing.

Ive used both Manjaro and Xubuntu as babby OSes
>>
>>55331454
But I was responding to >>55331316, not >>55331223

Maybe you're forgetting that this is an anonymous imageboard and I have no way of knowing who's who. From my perspective, >>55331316 was just an anonymous post who tried to justify to me that compiling from source has a non-negligible performance benefit.
>>
>>55331416
Compiling from source matters because you get to enable whatever make options you want, nobody cares about the <1% speed boost you get from compiler optimization.
>>
>>55331419

Fuck my ass. No I didn't install xf86 for my GPU. No I didn't install wpa_supplicant. I did install the dhcp package though. Is there any way to install those without going through the whole installation process again or should I get ready for another 3-4 hours of installation?
>>
>>55331461
Debian, but make sure your hardware supports it. I believe it uses linux-libre, meaning it doesn't include nonfree firmware blobs.
>>
I have tried Antergos but it always fails, no idea why. Every time I try to boot I just get GRUB_ on the screen with nothing else, no blinking or anything. If I could use Antergos it would be my go-to
>>
>>55331468
>nobody cares about the <1% speed boost you get from compiler optimization.
Apparently >>55331223 does.
>>
>>55331472
Nah just boot back to the system-rescue CD, remount your hard drive, and install the missing packages. No big deal.
>>
>>55331479
Your grub may not be finding your kernel or initrd in boot.

Try booting from liveCD, mounting your system, chrooting in, and running grub-mkconfig and grub-install /dev/sdx
>>
>>55331505

Alright. I'll give it a shot. I really just want to be able to use Portage. Shit gives me a stiffy.
>>
>>55330826
As far i understand the term "advanced" is referred to how confident you feel to choose your components and configurations without the distro trying to guess what you want if you know exactly what you want, otherwise most distros packages most of the software available for the platform unless is a distro with strong policies against restrictive licenses. Otherwise i think you should look after the policies of the different distros about things like updates, versions of the shipped software with each release, security measures, focus, etc.
Fortunately you can make the same work on most of the popular distros, so you hardly will have a hard dependency on any of them in specific. Just choose the software provider you like the most.
>>
>>55331472
>Is there any way to install those without going through the whole installation process again or should I get ready for another 3-4 hours of installation?
If you *ever* find yourself restarting the installation process, you're doing it wrong and won't get far.

If you encounter an error, fix it. Don't nuke everything and reboot. Every mistake is correctable.

I haven't “reinstalled” Gentoo in the past 5 years since I've been using it - and that's after migrating the same installation from a VM to a container to a host system to a different host system, to a new FS, to a hardened setup, to an SELinux environment and back, to systemd, etc.

Learn to adapt, don't give up an restart.
>>
>>55331519
okay, Ill do that in a bit. Thanks
>>
>>55331565
I also migrated from gcc to clang and back, and from glibc to musl and back. I also migrated across different CPU architectures and across at least 4 different filesystems across numerous different storage devices.

Hardware comes and goes, but Gentoo is forever.
>>
>>55331565

Alright. Fair enough. One of the reasons I did choose Gentoo was to learn more about Linux. I guess my autism kicked into high gear those times.
>>
>>55331052
This

I really enjoyed Archbang when I tried it but I settled on Ubuntu in the end. I enjoy the simplicity of Ubuntu since I only use it for video streaming, light photo editing, and shitposting here.
>>
>>55331476
I have a AMD card and rely on a usb wifi adapter. How fucked am I in terms of hardware support?
>>
>>55331855
open that fucker up and install a compatible wireless card.
>>
>>55331855
>AMD card
Depends on the generation. Newer-gen open sores drivers are continually improving in quality at a staggering rate.

>USB wifi adapter
Depends, do a google search for "$name linux" and see if there's a driver
>>
File: slightly confused miyako.jpg (335 KB, 454x558) Image search: [Google]
slightly confused miyako.jpg
335 KB, 454x558
I like Gentoo because I actually find it really relaxing starting at terminals with everything updating/compiling, is that wrong?
>>
>>55331911
It's not wrong. I think many of us started that way; and every now and then I still like to attach to a /v/t/p build.log even though I use quiet/parallel builds in portage. (Which, if you haven't, you should totally check out. Try setting
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --ask-enter-invalid --keep-going=y --quiet-unmerge-warn --quiet-build=y --quiet-fail=y --jobs --load-average=4 --tree"
in make.conf.
>>
>>55331911
I don't think so. First thing I do when I wake up is fire up the build script for several things. I'm not on gentoo however.
>>
>>55331890
Apparently the official Radeon drivers only go up to the 200 series, and I've got a 390
>>
File: 1458493891050.png (755 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1458493891050.png
755 KB, 1080x1920
>>55330826
Arch. There's nothing "hard" about it, that's just a meme. But I guess it could be considered an "advanced Linux distro".

Don't be afraid of the command line install, it's all mostly just commands that you'll be using normally in an "advanced" linux distro after the install anyways. Nothing more complicated than this: Just create your partitions, mount them, type "pacstrap /mnt" to install Arch, and then install GRUB. Boom, done. After that, you can have a lot of fun customizing the hell out of it if that's your thing, or just installing a simple graphical interface like GNOME and being done with it. Your call. It takes so little time and effort, but can still be considered "advanced", since you're essentially making your own custom operating system.

No, do not install GENTOO. It takes days to do that, and that is NOT a meme. Takes way too long to compile everything, literally days. You can be done in 15-20 minutes if you install Arch, plus an extra 5 minutes if you count the time it takes you to install a graphical interface.
>>
>>55331855
Here's the thing with Linux in general though, across any distro.

I've found that the more current the AMD card, the less likely it is to be properly supported.

Have a brand new laptop with an AMD card in it, tried installing 3 different Linux distros on it, but for some reason the display keeps switching off. That's usually how it goes with the Linux kernel and new hardware.
>>
>>55331964
Ah, that sucks. Well, you can still use mesa (i.e. the completely independent free drivers)
>>
>>55332118
>Linux distros
newfriend detected
>>
>>55332118
>That's usually how it goes with the Linux kernel and new hardware.
It's getting better though. AMD already has launch-day support for Polaris GPUs in linux 4.7, for example.

I think they were currently just suffering from the transition to the open source amdgpu stack. About 80,000 lines of code only recently got merged into the kernel after the kernel devs flat out told AMD to re-engineer all of it to conform to the kernel development standards or fuck off.

AMD were pretty busy refactoring it all and also moving more and more parts of the closed source driver to the open source versions.

In the future, the AMD driver situation on Linux might be as good as, say, support for intel CPUs or other hardware vendors where kernel patches are ready and waiting months before the hardware comes out.
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 540x535) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 540x535
>>55330826
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>55331273
This.
>>
File: 1429951775451.png (1 MB, 2133x1200) Image search: [Google]
1429951775451.png
1 MB, 2133x1200
>>55332082
That picture is wrong.
>>
>>55330826
Fedora is pretty cool for that. It comes with SELinux on among other things.
>>
>>55330826
I was annoyed by Debian's old packages so I installed gentoo. In gentoo you compile all your packages from source but that doesn't mean they're up-to-date. I got extra annoyed after cucking around with gentoo only to discover its packages are older and more limiting than Debian's. I'd stick with Debian or fedora.
>>
>>55332402
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.