[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best distro for an expert Linux user?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
What's the best distro for an expert Linux user?
>>
Sadly, none.
ArchLinux is aimed at competent users.
Gentoo is for autistic users.
LFS is for user powerup to expert.
>>
NetBSD
>>
>>55326859
i want to fug liru
>>
>>55326933
*Incompetent edgy teen
>>
>>55326960
Incompetent edgy fossil, actually.
2 out of 3 ain't bad.
>>
>>55326859
Don't tell me Liru is going to become the new /g/ meme.
>>
>>55326976
Typically(as in 99%) the Arch community is full of incompetent edgy teens that try to act cool to impress people
>>
Any linux can be the best, provided you start with a netinstall, and it is tailored to your needs.
>>
>>55327068
I was acting cool to try and impress people long before I ever installed Arch.
>>
>>55326859
>expert linux user
if you were an expert linux user than you would know
>>
>>55327131
>>55327158
I'm going in hard like the US marshal
>>
If you were an expert linux user you wouldnt need to ask you stupid fuck
>>
File: The_Fox_and_the_Grapes.jpg (59 KB, 400x624) Image search: [Google]
The_Fox_and_the_Grapes.jpg
59 KB, 400x624
Damned stuck up Arch users, always trying to act competent and shit.
>>
>>55327021
I wouldn't even be mad
>>
>>55326859
torvalds uses fedora so I dont tihnk it gets any more expert than that.
>>
>>55326859
if you were an experxt user you would know that it doesnt matter which distro you choose
>>
>>55326859
Debian?
>>
Id say the first generation of Linux you know that old one that looks like a bok
>>
>>55327182
How does the fox and the grapes apply to arch users?
>>
>>55327249
It applies to people who say they don't like arch or the arch community because they can't install arch.
>You should be able to discern that if you get the reference.
>>
>>55326976
That's sadly true. I know a kid in my college who runs arch, but has no idea how to change repos. Fucker makes us Archers look bad.
>>
>>55327423
lol give me a fucking break

it's so easy to install
>>
>>55326859
Any. If you're an "expert Linux user" as you might claim you are then you should know that it doesn't matter.
>>
There's no "best distro" just use whatever you prefer. Fucking autists.
>>
>>55327529
It's easy to install, I simply don't like grapes.
I mean Arch.
>>
>>55327180
then linux from scratch is the only good answer
>>
Holy shit. Liru is hot as fuck.
>>
File: arch_and_fox.png (156 KB, 688x1430) Image search: [Google]
arch_and_fox.png
156 KB, 688x1430
>>55327182
>>55327249
>>55327423
>>55327529
>>55327583
I think you guys need this pic.
>>
>>55326859
The bare kernel.
>>
>>55326859
If you need to be told what distro to use, then you're not an expert.
>>
>>55331886
>tfw fell for the ubuntu meme
literally the worst pc OS i have ever used. ever. it barely fucking runs and is now consistently resetting its own clock to some time near 1969 every time I boot it

its not even like its 0 UTC every time, it fuckign increments properly since the first time it happens but doesnt save when i change it to The Current Year. this time it said it was mid-january 1970
>>
>>55326859
Definitely debian. if you are an expert enough, then you know that you cannot customize everything because your time is limited, and you know that it is comfy that to make only little modification on decently stable system is more reasonable and time efficient.
>>
>>55332101
so xubuntu?
>>
>>55332198
>ubuntu
DONT
>>
>>55326859
There is no such thing as a "Linux user". Linux is a kernel, a programs that sends messages from your hardware to your software and back. The kernel is doing so on it's own. There's no interactions or interfact to use it.
>>
>>55332198
I don't have used xubuntu & ubuntu for the last year, but I can recall that xubuntu was still good than ubuntu. ubuntu was just so bloated.
>>
>>55332257
ubuntu is aggressively bad. my laptop running it runs worse than the government workstations from 1999

and these are network computers too, they have to phone over two provinces just to get basic system and account files, let alone access programs or documents
>>
>>55332070
I think that wasn't the fault of ubuntu. That kind of critical failure like system clocks or hardware failure, is usually problem on the hardware; it doesn't support standard protocol to change hwclock or sth like that.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 937x937) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 937x937
>>55326859
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>55332345
I dual boot and my XP installation has kept fine time, and Ubuntu is incrementing the time properly. It just is incrementing it from the wrong date, and keeps doing so for no clear reason. When it first happened, it was 1969 to it. It's been a few weeks of this nonsense, and we're well into 1970 over here. Even when I reset it, it doesn't save the date and time, but it does recognize the passage of time properly. So I doubt it's the hardware clock. The OS should be keeping its own offset from it anyway, as if adjusting for timezone or whatever.
>>
>>55327205
this.

Torvalds uses macOS btw
>>
File: 1459434061662.png (148 KB, 388x228) Image search: [Google]
1459434061662.png
148 KB, 388x228
>>55332328
>network computer
you mean the "cloud computer"(I know this term is a buzz word)?
>>
>>55326859
Trisquel GNU/Linux-libre
Parabola GNU/Linux-libre
>>
It's nice still having so much sysv compatibility crap around

Also still using the ifup/ifdown system instead of freedesktop's unbelievably convoluted garabge
>>
>>55332427
no it's a Network Computer because that was the buzz phrase in 1980, and it's a government workstation so they only got CUTTING EDGE stuff 20 years too late

im lucky the thing doesnt run Lotus Notes or some shit
>>
>>55332378
That is weird. I exhausted ideas about that. maybe It was the failure of ubuntu.
>>
>>55327021
I wish.
Should probably start forcing it
>Liru will never welcome you home with a ready dinner
>you'll never fug liru right there at the doorstep while all the neighbors watch

Why live
>>
File: shiggy diggy doo.jpg (55 KB, 440x461) Image search: [Google]
shiggy diggy doo.jpg
55 KB, 440x461
>liru
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.