[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When's the last time you used your disc drive, /g/? I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1
File: DVD_drive.jpg (61 KB, 1000x635) Image search: [Google]
DVD_drive.jpg
61 KB, 1000x635
When's the last time you used your disc drive, /g/?

I just discovered mine won't even open and I have no idea how many years it's been like that.
>>
2 hours ago
>>
Used it once the day I built my computer. Because I forgot to download the wireless adapter drivers and had to use the fucking disc.

(No I don't use wireless anymore.)
>>
About five years
>>
mine broke like four years ago and I never bothered to replace it
>>
I tried to use it now but it won't open :(
>>
People still keep disc drives in their machines? The fuck? Do you people use floppies unironically too?

I removed mine like 4 years ago at least.
>>
when i had to switch back to windows because linux is gay
>>
I pulled data off some old discs I found last year. Besides that it's probably been a good 5 years since I had a reason to use it.
>>
>>55326630
Three years ago, when I got a CD from a dude I met. I had to use a laptop from 2005 because my last three machines haven't had an optical drive.
>>
>>55326630
i have one in my case from my last build that i was too lazy to take out and because i don´t have the cover for the empty space anymore
i technically still use it for my case to not have a giant hole in it so yes last time usage right now
>>
>>55326630
a few weeks ago i tried installing a game from my collection i think it was quake
>>
>>55327762
may i ask why you don´t just make an iso out of your disk?
>>
I use it all the time. Using it right now to update firmware of a server I just received.

People who never use them are the same people who could do without an ethernet jack
>>
>>55326630
the other day to burn diagnostic disks for some power macs, and occasionally to burn CDs for my car
>>
>>55327809
too much trouble to bother, its not important to me
>>
ive built two computers since 2010 and neither have ever had a cd drive installed
>>
>>55326630
Literally 20 minutes ago. The ripping never ends.
>>
>>55326630
We already had this thread a few days ago.
>>
3 weeks ago to install music and ships from wipeout 2097 into ballisticNG
>>
>>55327820
lol what
>>
Yesterday. I had to get NetBSD into an old beige PowerMac G3 somehow.
>>
>>55326630
yesterday, found some old cd's and dvd's and wondered what was on them

same case with the floppy's that I found next to them
>>
Yesterday
>>
I just got one because people kept asking me why my pc doesn't have one
>>
>>55326630
When I tried to watch a movie my Nip friends sent me for Christmas only to find that it didn't support Blu-ray.
>>
Couple of months ago, when I burned some PSX games
Fuck yeah POWER SHOVEL
>>
>>55326630

I built a new rig a few months back. I didn't even bother putting a dvd drive in it.
>>
>>55326630
everyday. i use it to warm my bologna before i put it on my sammich
>>
>>55326630
Have to play oblivion GOTY somehow.
>>
>>55330780
it's a video game
you download it
>>
>>55329880
Oh yeah I forgot about that stuff. Yeah I burnt a copy of Mr. Driller Drill Spirits for the Dreamcast like a year ago.

So that's one use.
>>
>>55330830
>Implying that I own it on steam.
>>
>>55330903
You can't just go to like bethesda.biz and tell them about your CD key or something?
>>
>>55330928
Not sure never tried anything like that, though I personally would prefer to have a digital copy. Less scratches.
>>
Just a few weeks ago. I built a new PC and discovered that none of my USB ports due to the lack of drivers. My Ethernet didn't work either, but my DVD drive worked. I burned the relevant drivers to a DVD on another computer and installed them.
>>
>>55326630
People still have a disc drive?

Jesus christ
>>
I don't have one
>>
>>55326630
i use mine all the time since I own DVDs like a lot of people
>>
>>55331072
>owning DVDs
Do you actually pay for movies? Why?
>>
>>55326630
Ripping music/movies
Blu-ray playback
Burning shit disks for friends (never have to worry about getting it back)
Installing older vidya
>>
>>55326630

I used it to install Witcher 3 because my internet is shit
>>
>>55326630

A few days ago. Reinstalled some MOBO drivers and software cause something happened. I don't know what, trying to figure that out.
>>
bump for non gpu thread
cc
>>
>>55331106
I have a lot of dvds from when I was still living with my parents and people bought dvds. This is like, 2005-2010. May as well still use them since they work perfectly fine.
>>
It's ripping or writing Blu Rays every day. In use as we speak.
>>
>>55331011
>everybody has the exact same needs I do
Man you're a fucking retard
>>
>>55331106
I don't know if the 'you actually pay for things' is better then the 'I don't use this thing so I can't understand why it exists' line. I'm leaning towards the latter but these are my top two favorites no doubt.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.