[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think about IoT?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7
File: Internet-of-Things-2016.png (3 MB, 2872x1616) Image search: [Google]
Internet-of-Things-2016.png
3 MB, 2872x1616
What does /g/ think about IoT?
>>
I don't give a shit anymore
>>
Not liking this trend.

It's cool in concept. But even if they do an average job in exploits it'll be a mess. Imagine how fucking annoying it'd be when your thermostat gets cryptolocked
>>
It'll be about as successful as Etherum's le Turing Complete Smart Contracts.
>>
File: 1444325549432.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1444325549432.gif
2 MB, 320x240
Steering the fuck away from it until people realise it's retarded and massively insecure.
>>
>>55325533
internet of shit
>>
meme as fuck

but at least it gave us cheap neat modules like the esp8266
>>
>>55325533

First I've heard of it. I mostly agree with >>55325577 and >>55325658

It (the idea, not specifically LoT) has the potential to change the world, as much as electricity and the internet did, but getting to that point seems impossible without something going wrong, like NSA backdoors or some shit.

So what I'm saying is there should be a free/open version and I'll be on board.
>>
>>55325533
Free is the future like AGL
>>
>>55325533
>Vehicles: space

explaing how is this IoT?
Can I
>>
I work in IoT. It's a meme but it pays well.
>>
>>55327756
Also I would not recommend if you care about privacy at all.
>>
>>55325533
IPv6 is cancer
>>
>>55325741
>>55325577
>>55325658
this. why do these devices have to be connected to the internet in the first place?
>>
>>55328253
/thread
>>
>>55328253
so I can manage them from anywhere and so that they can cross-communicate and do cool stuff like home automation, etc?
>>
botnet of things
>>
>>55328253

Because it could possibly lead to a better product. They just have to be engineered with security in mind. Hence the enormous security bubble right now.
>>
>>55328253
Because it sells ICs. There is no other reason.
Keep fabs running, inflate bottom lines, make gimmicks that cause consumers to part with their money, and contribute to GDP.
>>
>>55325533
>tfw my ice cream gets melted because some Chinese script kiddie hacked my refrigerator
Fuck the Internet of Things. Technological progress for its own sake is the worst meme and the sooner we un-fall for it the better.
>>
File: 1456845534907.png (675 KB, 2100x475) Image search: [Google]
1456845534907.png
675 KB, 2100x475
>>55325533
>in the future, everything will be part of the botnet
>>
what the fuck is IoT?
>>
>>55329382
Internet of Things. The idea that every little object, even your toilet or regional equivalent, should be connected to the internet. It's the hot shit/big thing for wallstreet's semiconductor analists at the moment.
>>
>>55325533
>internet of things
can I download a car yet?
>>
>>55329506
If you own a $750,000 metal sintering 3d printer you probably could, now that you mention it.
>>
>>55325533
That is a lot of text and images to say cancer.
>>
>>55329437
Sounds dumb as shit, probably a tool to snoop.
>>
It's a load of shit. That's all.
>>
I don't think most of these things need to be connected to the internet. Sure, they might lead to minor conveniences, but there's a healthy medium between "not functional" and "unnecessary."

For example, my coffee maker. Something like a Keurig is genius in concept, which when refined and improved, might be a helpful innovation for daily household use. However, a coffee maker that connects to the internet? I don't need to start my coffee maker from my bedroom when I'm just a staircase away - it takes me literally thirty seconds to go downstairs and make coffee.

Also, there's the obvious issue of security; IoT devices (from my experience) are not super secure. I don't want my stuff connected to the internet - not due to fear of a "botnet" but because I feel stupidity has the possibility to ensue.
>>
>>55325533
It's the iot that really shouldn't be connected to the web. Soon we'll be living in a future where even our chairs can get hacked.
>>
>>55325533
I used to work extensively on contextual devices all part of the IoT. The devices are wearable computers for home/office use which also saw heavy application in the medical sector.
The internet terrifies me; having devices connected to any network for the sake of being connected terrifies me. The IoT is a trade of convenience for security and it's something I don't agree with in the slightest. I had attempted to relay my concerns for user security to the higher-ups and was ignored so I left the company.
>>
>>55330233
Nobody ever went bankrupt because they overestimated the laziness and stupidity of consumers.
>>
>>55325533
All I know about IoT is that some liberal whats it called feminist was pushing it or made a comment at one point in the past 10 years about it and it is bad because of those reasons.

I dont get it it.
>>
>>55325533 Overpriced, buggy, mostly proprietary shit with no support and no industry-wide standards.
>>
It's the third step on the path to the 1984 and Brave New World love child that we are slowly an seemingly inexorably heading towards.
>>
>>55327969
yeah but it's the future.

>>55328765
no one need this shit seriously. the humanity get every fcking year more lazy and lazy.

IoT will be the new cancer for the humanity.
>>
>>55333390
>humanity get every fcking year more lazy and lazy.

He says to 30 different people from all across the world from his state of the art personal computer.
>>
>>55329437
>even your toilet or regional equivalent, should be connected to the internet.
literal shitposting
>>
>>55325533
One step closer to 1984
>>
>>55325533
Surveillance state dream, security nightmare.
>>
>>55334790
>>55334791
hivemind
>>
>>55329310
To answer the question in the pic, when the computer illiterate were able to go on the internet.
>>
Some of IoT devices are cool in concept, but the implementations are atrocious.

How it should be:
>All IoT devices are on a dedicated subnet
>They have a unified management interface hosted on a home server.
>The interface is designed around a standardized OpenIoT protocol, so anyone can build a management app/ web interface/ etc.
>All authentications are designed to be secure.

How it is:
>All IoT devices are visible on the Internet.
>Management is through a cloud service, so if servers go offline you can't turn on your lamp.
>Each IoT device have a shitty proprietary protocol, only use encryption for obfuscation using compiled in passwords or sending data in plaintext
>You have to download a separate proprietary app for each of your devices.
>>
It will collapse and society will go full circle and become a wasteland
>>
File: 1456373708561.png (274 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
1456373708561.png
274 KB, 600x330
>>55328907
>>55329310

https://blog.sucuri.net/2016/06/large-cctv-botnet-leveraged-ddos-attacks.html
>>
>>55325533
Makes for great trolling videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9iIlSC7Uds
>>
>>55325533
how can livescribe be IoT?

it stores data synced over a cable to a program that only exports .pdf if you buy a new notebook from them

you just pasted a bunch of logos this is retarded
>>
>>55329310
rebbit frog never cried so much until he came to 4chan

makes ya think.... go back.
>>
>>55328253
many products in OP's image are in fact not wifi nor internet enabled in any way its just buzzspeak for CS majors
>>
>>55335997
It's mostly business and IT management "science" people who are fond of these buzzwords
>>
>>55325533
Neither that phrase or that picture mean anything. It's just a bunch of corporate buzzwords and logos.
>>
Just wait until everybody with X brand X model coffeemaker has their credit cards and banking logins stolen because somebody herpderped the software and it turned into a roundabout unsecured access point to their home networks.
>>
>>55328253
There are some valid use cases in certain industries, and nothing else.

>>55325694
This so much.
>>
Remember how people have those unsecured IP cameras? Imagine how fun it will be to watch someone react to their freezer melting and their oven burning their food all while someone is blasting music through the IP cam's speakers
>>
>>55336689
IoT is the replacement for natural selection in a world where survival has lost its meaning
>>
>>55328253
>urinate
>leave home, rush to the airport
>two states over, a notification on your phone reminds you to flush
"Thank God for IoT," you think, as you quickly key in your upstairs toilet's flush override credentials.
>>
>>55336982
Who cares if the pee is in the toilet or not?
>>
>>55325577
>turning the thermostat up 1 degree every week for a year
>never able to turn it down
>slowly making everyone's homes slightly too hot for comfort until they do something about it

oh the keks
>>
>>55337007
Clearly you're not our target market.
>>
>I've always yearned for an interactive relationship with my fire alarm.
>>
>>55337043
>implying anyone on /g/ is your average consumer
>>
>>55337048
some underachieving overachiever middle manager is gonna see your post and unironically turn a project out of it
>>
Botnet
>>
File: NestProtect4[1].jpg (43 KB, 660x410) Image search: [Google]
NestProtect4[1].jpg
43 KB, 660x410
>>55337085
It's already been done anon.
https://www.engadget.com/2015/09/16/nest-protect-review-2015/
>>
>>55337134
>safety shouldn't be annoying
Yes it fucking should. How am I gonna know there's a fire if the alarm doesn't cause my ears to bleed?
>>
It's a bad idea and I guarantee Dr. Wily is behind it
>>
>>55337015
>randomly fire the fire alarm for short periods
>turn the temps up/down on fridges/dishwasher/washer/drier
>make the vacuum turn itself on at random times
>temporarily brick the TV during major sports events/other happenings
>randomly mute/increase volume/change channels on the TV
>cryptolock everything
Oh all the fun you can have with these things
>>
>>55337206
How come IP cam manufacturers didn't make their devices actually secure? Like force the owner to change the password to something other than "password" or "admin"?
>>
>>55337166
But your app on your phone will conveniently notify you.
Don't you want to check if your house is on fire when you're out and about? Well now you can!
>>
>>55337252
This might be useful for a cabin or something, but those are usually within 30 minutes of the nearest fire station so by the time the firemen get there your cabin will be toast
>>
>>55337232
Because it would've been and extra cost and taken more time.
>>
>>55328253
So they can collect data on you
>>
>>55337232
Because it's fun having IP cam threads
>>
You know how Snowden said the mechanisms are being built for latchkey tyranny?

This is the latchkey. We are all going to hell and it wont be long at all before no one remembers things were ever any different, just 30-40 years or so.

I hope im dead before they drop the pretense and go from Huxleys vision of the future to Orwells.
>>
I think it would be nice to have a... uhm, local network of things? While I don't need to flush the toilet in my home while being at the university, it would be nice if I could control the lights in my room from my PC. Just don't connect them to the Internet and it's fine.
>>
it's here and it means everything will eventually be driven by buggy software connected to the internet.
>>
>>55337266
Yeah. I think it's just a bad case of over-engineering. If the alarm goes off you should gtfo and not start fiddling with your phone.
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
>>55337007
You have no idea how bad it is!

Have you ever studied surface fluid corrosion mechanics for glaze ceramic bodies?

Once the micro pitting starts the discoloration ring will become permanent, bleaching only visually removes it for a day or two till the bacteria grows back and the constantly "cleaning" of bleach only accelerates the destructive process.

The micro pits also dramatically increase the surface area the bacteria can grow on, think breeding grounds. This will increase the amount of undesirable odors and as they break down the urine the increase in ammonia byproduct will then add to the very corrosion issues that started this problem. A problem that grows exponentially, especially in warm climates where energy levels are higher to aid in the chemical and biological reactions. It like a runaway bio-chemical corrosion reactor of bad odors!

Once the clay body become visible not even bleaching will make the appearance change. Heaven help you if judgmental company comes over. My mother in law is always looking for a excuse.

While many cheap toilets don't typically corrode to the point of leaking within the users life time. I have seen 3 case reports which were not pretty. All of which still had greenware body parts! That shit should never happen, but it can. Especially given how everyone is going for price point on toilets, builders are notorious for skipping on quality raw materials and full high heat treatments glaze. The things they try to pass as proper porcelain bodies, which are just high grade low ball clay with fortifying agents is borderline criminal in my book, even found a few violators that failed to meet ISO standards, but the powers that be won't take action against such atrocities. They are even trying to brand me as a radical and discredit me.

If we don't hold toilet manufactures accountable to proper standards then someday it won't just be the unavoidable small micro pitting problems, but far worse as we are starting to see.
>>
>>55327756

Because my frig and microwave so need to be on the internet. What the fuck ever happened to plugging shit in and it works?

Now shit is overpriced.
>>
>>55337654
autism: the post
>>
>>55334887
/thread
>>
>>55337232
how about just

iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/16 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s 172.16.0.0/12 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s fc00::/7 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -j REJECT

99% of people who use these things just use them locally anyway.
>>
>>55338344
Fucking this. People are retarded nowadays
>>
>>55337007
people who are dehydrated (aka their pee is brown and stinks)
>>
>>55338344
Why isn't this default?
>>
>>55338344
You know that shit can be spoofed. Also this only works behind NAT.
>>
>>55325533
Why am I not seeing ESP826 or Espressif on it?
>>
IoT is my dream come true...

DIAGNOSTICS OF *EVERYTHING* ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE
>>
>>55329437
So even Pajeet's shitting street will be connected?
>>
File: EXE1.jpg (450 KB, 1138x723) Image search: [Google]
EXE1.jpg
450 KB, 1138x723
Do I get my own PET and net navi?
>>
>>55325533
life-disrupting, insecure, awful and obscure shit
>>
>>55340347
>spoof a local IP
okay then
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.