[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily Reminder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: APL.jpg (58 KB, 493x340) Image search: [Google]
APL.jpg
58 KB, 493x340
If you don't program in APL, FORTH, Coq, Iota, or Idris, you are inefficient and a normie.
>>
Suck my Coq, dude.
>>
Good, I'd hate to be autistic.
>>
>>55325430
this desu
>>
I work in APL professionally, and let me tell you, Dijkstra was right.
>>
>>55325428
Oh yeah.
>>
>>55326572
It's pretty fucking efficient yo.
What do you make with APL?
>>
>>55325413
>guys why doesn't anyone else understand how great my meme language is? all these idiots are using their dumb languages that have readable syntax and can actually be used for something
>>
why did you put forth in with those
>>
>>55327012

We provide a service that essentially does garbage collection on airline bookings.

>It's pretty fucking efficient yo.
No, it's not, or at least the implementation we use isn't. We consistently see at least an order of magnitude speedup just by moving things into .NET/Java.

The bigger problem is the paucity of ways to abstract. You have procedures and... that's pretty much it. Error handling? Hope you like "eval"ing strings, because that's all you've got.

It is true that I really only have experience with one implementation. Dyalog seems decent, but it also comes with a lot of features that are more like non-APL languages. On the whole, it seems to me like APL is a good choice for numerical computing when your other choice is FORTRAN. I'm not sure why you'd choose APL today.
>>
>>55329745
What is it good for then?
I have been playing with Dyalog.
>>
>>55330013
Manipulating numerical matrices. It's not bad as a scripting language; one of my co-workers uses Dyalog in that way.
>>
`0:5:+/&~&/(!1000)!/:3 5
>>
>>55330013
Epeen purposes only.
This includes 'code golf'.
>>
>>55325413
>Iota
kek'd
>>
>>55325413
Forth is definitely on the list of languages to learn. My dream is to write on OS to run on Open Firmware
>>
Idris is a red herring; dependent typing is just metaprogramming, presented in the most unusable form imaginable. You did recover a bit by bringing up Forth.
>>
>>55325413
None of that shit compares to Hoon.
>>
>>55332637
I saw the prophet of Urbit give a talk at LambdaConf this year, and, jesus christ.
>>
>>55332812
I feel like the guy is sabotaging his own project, which would otherwise have insane potential.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.