[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>need to use Windows because of some program related to my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: wtf_man_by_gloriari-d3klczx.jpg (286 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
wtf_man_by_gloriari-d3klczx.jpg
286 KB, 800x800
>need to use Windows because of some program related to my calculator and because using Virtualbox is troublesome
>don't want to make a dualboot
>take my GNU/Linux HDD off my laptop, put blank one, install Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on it with a DVD
>the setup is finished
>first time using Windows since 5 years
>the display is shit. My screen is 1600*900 and the maximum resolution Windows gives me is 1024*768
>wifi doesn't work (I could understand, no drivers maybe)
>ETHERNET DOESN'T WORK
>remove HDD, get hack to GNU/Linux
>post on /g/

How am I supposed to deal with this bullshit ? Even the most simple configuration is fucking impossible
>>
>doesn't install any drivers
>wonders why it doesn't work
>shitposts on /g/

Kys
>>
>>55323821
>kys
This isn't Call of Duty. >>>/v/
>>
>>55323821
How am I supposed to install drivers when even my fucking ethernet doesn't work ?

Where are the winfags saying GNU/Linux doesn't have drivers support ? At least ethernet just werks
>>
>>55323861
Plan ahead. Dumbass.
>>
>>55323861
does your laptop have a usb drive or sd-card slot?
find your wifi adapter driver and put it on that
>>
>>55323885
How could I even think that the most basic feature of an operating system wouldn't work ?
>>
>>55323906
It does. I'll do that. Though, it doesn't solve my display problem.
>>
>>55323975
put your graphics driver on there too
>>
>>55323926
Why should Microsoft have bundle every possible OEM driver in their installer ISO?

If you didn't have some obscure ethernet adapter you wouldn't have this problem, there's already hundreds of Microsoft generic drivers for a shit load of devices.
>>
File: forman.jpg (173 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
forman.jpg
173 KB, 1252x1252
>>55323926
If you don't load the driver into the kernel in Linux, it wouldn't work either dumbass.
>>
>>55323975
>It does. I'll do that. Though, it doesn't solve my display problem.
Oh, you are just a troll.
>>
ITT: Windows viral marketers in full damage control
>>
>>55323975
This has to be bait
>>
File: 1463340278260.gif (451 KB, 317x200) Image search: [Google]
1463340278260.gif
451 KB, 317x200
>>55323861
He fell for the superior windows driver support meme.
>>
>expecting Windows to work without hours of thinkering and troubleshooting.
Use a love USB to download the drivers you need for Windows.
>>
>>55323679
>using Virtualbox is troublesome
wut.
use QEMU + KVM, then
what program is this?
>>
File: cap.png (414 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
414 KB, 1366x768
>>55332704
Virtualbox has a braindead easy way of passing USB devices into the guest.
>>
>>55323861
Pretty sad windows still cant autoinstall atleast the ethernet driver, but yea, I always look up all the drivers first, save them to a flash drive and then install the OS
>>
>>55332782
When i reinstall Windows on peolpe's notebooks i use a live usb to save the data and run lspci to know the hardware and search the drivers whle i reinstall Windows.
>>
>>55323679
>>55332782
>install 10 year old OS
>complain it doesn't work
Windows 10 works out of the box for everything.
>>
>>55332861
>install 10 year old OS
>on a 15 year old hardware
>it doesn't just werk
Epic
>>
>>55332861
>something happened.
>>
>>55323926
>How could I even think that the most basic feature of an operating system wouldn't work ?

even if laptops have other brands parts, you cant just install other brands drivers, something i learned a long ass time ago with laptops when i tried to update the graphics driver but everything shit itself because i didn't use the laptop specific driver.

with most user built computers, windows has a basic driver that gets shit done till you get the real driver, but even then, you may need to install the drivers before shit works.
>>
>>55332861
i actually hd missing ethernet drivers on windows 10. good thing i have a debian install in dual-boot that i was able to use to get the driver on a usb mass storage device.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.