[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VPN and anonymity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1444269243190.jpg (45 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444269243190.jpg
45 KB, 1000x1000
Is it possible to anonymize a server's location by using a vpn? Or could traffic analysis based on the VPN's traffic be used to locate the server?

If someone wanted to host a server anonymously, what would be the best way to do so? TOR is compromised afaik, so I have ruled that out.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I am a programmer and database architect and I dont know shit abt networking and IP.
>>
I think it goes like this;
Your connection to the VPN server would be encrypted.
The VPNs connection to the site is encrypted. There is no way to know it is you using that site through the VPN. but the sites IP would not be hidden from anyone on the other side of the VPN.
>>
>>55308151
Use tor to buy vps with bitcoins. Then install webserver with tor on it.
Yep your server might be compromised due to traffic analysis. But if you will be careful enough it wont compromise you.
>Is it possible to anonymize a server's location by using a vpn?
No. Vpn is a direct encrypted connection between 2 hosts. You could just sniff its traffic and see huge amount of encrypted data being sent to your ip address.
>>
>>55308635
Thanks. Can you expand on how tor could be used to host anonymously with some immunity to traffic analysis? Do I need to have secure nodes? Couldnt a users nodes still be compromised?
>>
>>55309184
>with some immunity to traffic analysis
Set up tor relay on server. It will pass through some garbage traffic. Set speed limits for web server. More garbage - less statistically indistinguishable your node is.
>secure nodes?
What? There is no secure nodes.
>Couldnt a users nodes still be compromised?
Most easiest and common way of deanonimization in tor is good old webserver hacking and uploading browser exploits. If users use proper tools they will be fine.
>>
Buy a VPS in Russia with bitcoins, install an OpenVPN service on it and use that to connect to it.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.