[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Replicant OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: replicant.png (16 KB, 700x200) Image search: [Google]
replicant.png
16 KB, 700x200
What does /g/ think about Replicant? It is the only mobile OS with only FOSS software included, it is using Android 4.2 and is 100% free as in freedom, they evem replaced the official Android SDK with a free SDK called the Replicant SDK. There isn't much development for it as it is a small project but I really love the idea of Replicant and I wanna help out the project
>>
File: openphoenux.png (82 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
openphoenux.png
82 KB, 1024x1024
>>55305661
Every anon who is not pleb should have it installed. You shoud buy from https://tehnoetic.com/, phones there work 100% with Replicant, wifi and cam included!

Also check OpenPhoenux, is a phone build from scratch
>>
Are you even trying?
>>
>>55305661
How do I go about calling or texting someone and geting a plan from Sprint or AT&T? What if they don't know how to work the phone to get service for it?
>>
replicant is an anachronism, nobody that's already that far freetard will still be interested in the phone, they'll simply label it as a tracking device or just call it "bad", replicant on /g/ exists to serve as a point against dumbphone losers since it would be the most /g/ and free software phone, it inevitably won't matter as they'll ironically defend the dumbphone BEING locked down and old, there is no point in replicant on /g/ or anywhere as any anti-educated freetard will just say no to phones as a whole
>>
>>55306615
What are you even implying there?

For security Replicant is the best OS for phones, they were the ones finding security holes in some Samsung phones.

What have YOU done?
>>
>>55306683
spent months arguing with dumbphone shits and freetards so that I can inform you that nobody on /g/ can possibly care about replicant. The target userbase of free software user is so incredibly small because you're on the edge of the freetard cliff staring into a canyon of "all phones are bad"
>>
>>55306707
We are talking about security here. If you are using a phone this is the best alternative.

I don't know what are you on about, get rekt.
>>
>>55306736
yeah stick around for our dumbphone anti-threads, we of course don't have any at the moment. I'll go in the corner for now.
>>
If you are concern about privacy and security you should buy Terchnoetic phones with open source firmware preinstalled https://tehnoetic.com/tehnoetic-s3-phone-replicant
>>
>>55305661
When is it gonna be supported on more phones?
>>
>>55307144
when some drug lord donates enough money for them to continue their development
>>
File: 1461117169430.jpg (48 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1461117169430.jpg
48 KB, 604x453
>>55305661
It's ded dou
>>
File: Picasso.jpg (185 KB, 800x1035) Image search: [Google]
Picasso.jpg
185 KB, 800x1035
>>55307328
Ok NSA
>>
>no libre boot rom
Why the fuck hasn't anyone made a fully open source phone?
>>
>>55307417
Is called OpenPhoenux, meanwhile buy from Technoetic.
>>
>>55306554
>You shoud buy from https://tehnoetic.com/, phones there work 100% with Replicant, wifi and cam included!

Who the fuck is gonna pay 300$ for a modified samsung s3?
I'd rather just root my phone and delete gapps
>>
>>55307417
>Why the fuck hasn't anyone made a fully open source phone?
There is still no phone on the market with a FOSS baseband firmware, the boot ROM is the least of your worries.
>>
>>55307382
Why do you care about that branch of what the NSA does when you should be concerned with their passive data collection, which includes warrantless collection of all SMSes sent and the metadata about cell phone connections to the tower (which they can then use to look back at your travel habits). Also, a lot of what is listed in that picture could be done with baseband exploits that don't require a modified phone.
>>
>>55305661
I have on my cellphone (I9300). Works ok, except what does not work. Since there is no video acceleration I can't use some programs that need video acceleration (such as firefox/icecat for android) and some program are unbearable slow (such as VLC).

>>55306554
Wifi is working? From what I know there are free drivers available for the WiFi, but they need non-free firmware to work. Personally, I have installed the non-free firmware for the wifi, since a lot of applications wold be unusable without wifi
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.