[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hackers can use the sound of case fans to steal data
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
https://www.wired.com/2016/06/clever-attack-uses-sound-computers-fan-steal-data/

Now the lab’s team has found yet another way to undermine air-gapped systems using little more than the sound emitted by the cooling fans inside computers. Although the technique can only be used to steal a limited amount of data, it’s sufficient to siphon encryption keys and lists of usernames and passwords, as well as small amounts of keylogging histories and documents, from more than two dozen feet away.

>not using silent fans

Noctua stock increases 8000%.
>>
same shit can be done with hi res photographs of a human face and observing minute muscle movements and shit, now imagine that inside of google glass, there will be no secrets in the future
>>
>The attack, like all previous ones the researchers have devised for air-gapped machines, requires the targeted machine first be infected with malware
only windows is affected lmao
>>
>>55305426
If I understand this correctly, this would be effective on water cooled systems as they could just hijack the radiator fans instead of a CPU/GPU fan (case fan and PSU fan would still be in use).
>>
>>55305563
Wouldn't this attack only work on fans that are mobo controlled?
>>
>>55305619
Aren't most AIO systems mobo controlled?
>>
>>55305710
I guess, but a mitigation for this kind of attack would be to use non mobo controlled fans
>>
>>55305752
>use non mobo controlled fans
You'd probably have to get (develop) an external temp monitor for everything air/water cooled then.
>>
>>55305426
Yet another reason to purchase the new Apple MacBook with Retina Display.
>>
>>55305970
But if the fans never turn on in your mac wouldn't that allow for them to hack your computer and make it explode on your dick
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.