[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do these amplifiers do exactly? I have no clue about audio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 464x210) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 464x210
What do these amplifiers do exactly?

I have no clue about audio and a guy at a shop recommended me to buy a portable amplifier for my headphones because it supposed to make it much better but he couldn't really explain simply how it works.

Is this snake oil?
>>
If you have hard to drive headphones they are needed.
>>
>>55301807
Hard to drive?

Can you explain what you mean and why I need them exactly?

Does it make the sound so much better?
>>
>>55301788
It's an amplifier. It amplifies. Your headphones sounds too low, they need an amp to make them sound louder.
>>
>>55301817
You need current to drive head phones. Some head phones need a lot of current that your laptop or computer just can't put out.
>>
>>55301817
Some headphones require more power to drive properly. Even if you max the volume they still don't sound loud. An amplifier can amplify the signal and make it sound loud.
>>
>>55301856
P.S. Your earbuds aren't high impedance, so yeah it's snake oil.
>>
>>55301820
>>55301856
>>55301857
So they sound louder and better without losing quality?
>>
>>55301876
Just louder. If your current headphones sound loud enough, you don't need one.
>>
>>55301876
That depends. If you buy a good amplifier, the sound quality will be the same. I can make you an amplifier myself for $5 and it will sound like shit.
>>
>>55301820

This guy knows English but not his tech
>>
>>55301788
>You keep your gin in it
>>
>>55301788
if you're going to drop the dosh, at least get one with a DAC and USB input
>>
If you have to ask you don't need one.
Don't listen to retard best buy employees.
I highly doubt you have headphones that your onboard audio can't drive.
>>
>>55301876
You can think of it that way to some extend.
Imagine the default signal as really really quiet. To get it to be played by your headphones, it has to be amplified. Some tiny part on your motherboard does that.
You know how playing something loud on shitty headphones makes it sound distorted? It will be similar when you use a shitty amplifier, the way the signal gets amplified is not so good. If it only has to amplify a little, it won't distort as much though.

Now if you have headphones with a high resistance, the signal has to be stronger to have the same loudness. But that means the amplifier has to work more and distort more, and some motherboard amplifiers might struggle with that and make it sound too quiet.
If you get a good amplifier, you can have louder and better quality sound, but only if your headphones have a high resistance.
>>
>>55301788
Yeah, the naming convention of these devices is pretty confusing, no wonder you don't understand what they're for. Despite the name, in reality they're actually used to amplify sound.
>>
>>55301874

Like this anon suggests, if your earbuds are regular impedance, a headphone amplifier may not give you much if any appreciable improvement in sound. A good amplifier will increase volume but also improve dynamics, and, to use a visual analogy, improve the resolution of the what is produced sonically the way the contrast control of a monitor can make a dull image appear with proper tones and hues. With harder-to-drive headphones with higher impedance, an amplifier can improve certain features of output, which can extend the bass, so the bass sounds like a real explosion rather than a slap, or give the midrange greater expansion so vocals sound full without being strident because the capacitors of the amp can release a greater amount of voltage and current without struggling; and the treble can sound better, so some tracks have a real cymbal like sparkle rather than a hiss that's buried under muddy midrange.

But its hard to say if most earbuds can mechanically reproduce these dynamics to begin with.
>>
>>55301993
Amplify is an energy drink so I just thought it was marketing term meaning high energy
>>
>>55302012
Well an amplifier energizes the sound waves, thereby making the sound waves travel faster. So amplifiers are recommended for fast paced music like rock, but they're usually bad for classical music and such.
>>
>>55302117
Yeah, it's literally like shooting cocaine into the sound waves. For classical music, I'd recommend not using an amplifier at all and just literally smoking marijuana.

Actually, just screw the amplifier and smoke pot.
>>
>>55302209
Actually screw everything and smoke pot
>>
>>55302117
>sound waves travel faster
amplifier literally distort space and time.
>>
>>55302250
That's why you sould only use them with gold plated cables, with lower quality metals the sound particles would start running wild and cause a black hole on the molecular level inside the amp, destroying all your equipment connected to either side of the amp.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.