[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am fucked >guy brings newish HP envy to fix wifi and basic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 5
I am fucked

>guy brings newish HP envy to fix wifi and basic cleaning, he had it for like 2 months
>done, with wifi drivers update, bios update, removed some cyberlink shit
>gets the notebook, calls few hours laters
>ALL FILES IN ~\DOCUMENTS ARE MISSING
>use everything search to look for them
>nothing
>see that ms word and recent documents menus still sees those files
>they were there but now are gone
>scandisk did not find anything wrong
>will be doing deleted files recovery but I just dont fucking know...

I have no idea what might have caused this
I used shutup10 to turn off telemetry and other noise, also turning off onedrive(it was not being used but to get rid of the icon in the taskbar)
I turned off fast startup, which only acts as hibernation rather than real shutdown and since theres SSD in the notebook its not much of a benefit
mcafee has been removed, avira put in its place
some preinstalled software uninstalled mostly cyberlink bullshit, and some shit from win10 start menu
some minor changes like show extensions and shit...

Anyone got any ideas? I grasp at everything.. will work on the notebook tomorrow, planning on using recuva, getdataback and some other undelete software
but how the fuck the files got away?!?!!!!
>>
>>55300821
You sure the files are not linked from his OneDrive?
>>
He prolly did it and is gonna try to get some money off you
>>
>turning off onedrive
Good job! That's where his files are. It's usually the default save location.
>>
>>55300841
this. your english is questionable so I assume you are living somewhere in the lesser americas, where this may be a common occurrence.
>>
>>55300821
You've gotta do it now. If the laptop stays on the bits will be re written and you will lose the ability to restore
>>
File: aliens guy.jpg (33 KB, 553x395) Image search: [Google]
aliens guy.jpg
33 KB, 553x395
>>55300833
only working by memory now
but I was on the internet(we were testing that wifi has zero issues since driver update)
and the onedrive icon was grey.. I assumed not being in use like so many times before..
but maybe if the word he was using was 2016 or 365 it might somehow hijack documents?
would he need to do the linking himself, or its a normal behavior?

>>55300841
unlikely, highly technologically unskilled and a nice guy

>>55300861
but isnt one drive place actually labaled one drive on the disk, does it hijack default folders?
and when I turned off the onedrive, shouldnt it fucking stay on the disk?

>>55300868
its off now and i will have it in hands by tomorrow
>>
>>55300821
They went away because you did not perform a backup before before troubleshooting.

You are now legally liable for the lost data.
>>
>>55300902
do you perform backup on everything you troubleshoot?
just curious, because lots of people come with almost full 1TB drives
waiting to do stuff on their shit would be often several hours if we would start to do acronis images of every drive we touch
>>
>>55300821
This is why I never mess with anything on my PC. If a bunch of junkware is installed I just leave it installed. If some settings look weird, I don't change them. I don't create new partitions, I don't install multiple OSes. Anything you do could imply to the OS it should delete your irreplaceable files. The only way I'd do it is if I backed up everything and even then I'd be scared the OS would explode and then I'd have to buy a new PC since my prebuilt has no recovery disc because companies are cheap.
>>
>>55301006
well and thats why you are stagnated where you are
do backups like you should and with no fear clean up your shit and do reinstalls and learn shit
why the fuck would you be on /g/ if you cant do that?
is /v/ leaking while waiting for rx480?
>>
>>55300899
If you install OneDrive on Mac it uses the Documents folder by default to nest the OneDrive folder. Not sure how this works on Windows.
>>
Who are you to disable telemetry on a customers computer? And to do it via a closed source botnet? I hope your shop dies.
>>
>>55301053
I don't want to learn though. I'm a hedonist PC user. I only use it to fulfill my desires. I have no interest in how it works outside of that.
>>
>>55300930
is acronis still the best software for that job?
>>
>>55301006
Get out /v/
>>
>>55301062
I think same goes for windows, it wont just hijack the documents
but I am not 100% of office 2016, they try to push cloud heavily

>>55301094
pretty much yeah, no reason to go looking for alternatives
clonezilla is utter failute though
>>
>>55301100
Wrong. /a/, :::::^))
>>
>>55301091
neo/g/ everyone
>>
>>55301134
Fuck off weeb
>>
>>55301124
b-but it's not free as in free beer
>>
>>55301182
nope
serial comes with every crucial SSD
but whatever, torrent true image and you just boot off it for clonning, not running it as backup or some full shit
>>
>>55301091
You're the scum of the earth.
>>
>>55301006
I want to kill you so bad.
>>
File: 1454507928115.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1454507928115.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
>>55301216
>>55301222
>Hating someone so bad just for not being a computer nerd
>>
>>55301259
It's not that he's not a computer nerd. It's that he's on /g/ when he has no interest in technology.
>>
1h bump for ideas
>>
You didn't back up or ask him to back up his shit?

His loss.
>>
>>55302418
It's gonna be OP's loss if the guy sues
>>
>>55301094
if you're doing a full disk backup then yeah, otherwise just use your preferred sync program to back up data and make a list of installed programs and use magic jellybean or whatever the new hotness is to get license codes
>>
>>55301075
noob here, whats telemetry?
>>
>>55302743
mostly just usage statistics so that ms knows how people are using their computers so they can improve future versions of windows
>>
>>55301285
Computer circlejerks aren't the only technology you weeb
>>
>>55302765
they are here, real tech goes either to /sci/ or /diy/
if it's not desktop related then /g/ doesn't care
>>
>>55302764
okay thank you. How is it bad to turn it off tho?
>>
>>55302743
Broadly, it means remotely measuring/monitoring
>>
>>55302784
it's not necessarily bad but it's not something you should arbitrarily decide for a customer, and you certainly shouldn't be using some dodgy third party program to do it
>>
>>55302796
I agree there with you. Thanks for the explanation.
>>
File: 1464625325199.png (398 KB, 792x540) Image search: [Google]
1464625325199.png
398 KB, 792x540
>>55300821
>I used shutup10 to turn off telemetry and other noise
>also turning off onedrive(it was not being used but to get rid of the icon in the taskbar)
>I turned off fast startup, which only acts as hibernation rather than real shutdown
>mcafee has been removed, avira put in its place

Why the fuck do you do so much personal preference shit? Especially with questionable third party programs like Shutup10. You're just asking to fuck things up needlessly or cause unknown problems for the guy in the future when he wonders why OneDrive won't install for example.
>>
>>55302796
>it's not necessarily bad but it's not something you should arbitrarily decide for a customer

If you dont they dont
you think you take all of the customers and explain shit to them and then they give informed consent? It would be bothersome to them and they would feel stupid as you would try to explain. How about removal of mcafee? should we consult everything? Installation of vlc? We tell them that we will make changes according to our ideas, how best to setup system... they agree...

And what alternative do you have to shutup10? I am all for opensource, but if theres nothing I am not going to go hunt for powershell scripts. Should we not give classic shell to users on win8.1 to get startmenu back because its not opensource?

>>55302830
>Why the fuck do you do so much personal preference shit?
So that we can ask to get payed and to fix bothersome shit in the OS...
>>
>>55300821
>doing all the stuff you did
don't ever get near computers again please
>>
>>55302967
any reasons why?
you let people use preinstalled mcafee?
>>
>>55302928
yes you should inform them and get consent, like mcafee, what the fuck if they paid for it, you just gonna toss it out for some free bullshit? you're everything that's wrong with pc repair these days. who gives a shit if it's bothersome, you have an hobligation to get informed consent jackass
>>
>>55302743
If telemetry is enabled, your computer is being or can be watched and all your actions are recorded and monitored. All your files are viewable to whoever is on the other end of the telemetry. Microsoft, in this case, and whoever they share it with.

>>55302796
>you shouldn't decide for them

They don't even have the knowledge to make an informed decision. A user gains nothing from having telemetry enabled. If anything, their computer may be slightly faster with it disabled.

>>55303010
McAfee comes preinstalled on most shit these days even though it's a shit antivirus. Windows Defender does better than it does.
>>
>>55303050
no bruh, they bring you shit to fix what's wrong, not so you can treat it like your personal pc, and yes I know personal pc is redundant but hopefully it triggered you
>>
>>55300821
anon you should always backup hdd and make a restore point
>>
>>55303010
they do consent, and are asked if they payed for AV or should we replace preinstalled shit that will start going popup mode to buy pro version in 1 month...
we also talk about clearing the system and preinstalled and change associations
all of that is talked about and they are happy because they see 16 icons on their desktop and full startmenu of win10 and have zero idea whats going on..

we just dont go in to details you aspie tard, try leaving basement once in a while, people are dumb, you dont go in to details
>>
I always image the drive of the computers I'm about to work on to protect my ass if something happens. People get paranoid so I don't say anything about it.
>>
>>55301091
>hedonist PC user
>not learning for fun
>>>/v/
>>
>>55303070
If they're taking their shit to a "personal PC" shop then they clearly don't know shit about them in the first place. Unless you plan on trying to educate every tech-illiterate that comes through the door, you're not hurting anything or anyone by making the informed decisions for them.
>>
>>55303070
we ask if they want shit cleared more, or when buying new if we are to unpack it and prepare for use by our best intention.

They pay for the service, its extra cost, they informed and they want it, its not some basement dweler installing his personal favorite software feeling like unappreciated hero...
>>
>>55303078
don't call me a basement dweller you self righteous fuck, you're the one who came in acting like it's too bothersome to tell a client what the fuck you're doing to their pc and using dodgy programs to do questionable shit then wondering how you broke shit
>>
>>55302928
>So that we can ask to get payed
Sounds like they'd be better off not using your "services" ;)
>>
>>55303089
business is slow where you do that I guess
>>
>>55303100
it's called liability numbnuts, you have them sign a waiver and go over it with them beforehand, and let them know what you're doing and if they give a shit they'll ask for more detail
>>
>>55303089
How do I imaged drive?
>>
>>55303123
that is in no way what you implied in op or your subsequent posts bruh
>>
>>55303129
it is bothersom to them especially, asperger kind wont get it I guess
we can have print out page of what we are going to do for them and give it to them every time, its not really a bother for us
but you really dont get people aspie basement dweller

>>55303130
this one might :)
but I am really curious what the fuck could have went wrong
ive seen dozens of people lose their data when they came in with dead drives, corrupted USBs
we had few cryptolockers as well, but bussieness we run all have solid backup plans and recovery tested
its not really getting much emotional response from me, but wtf went wrong is the real question
and why only documents, why not desktop or some other place
>>
>>55301134
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55303143
Sure. I'm not saying you should lie to them about anything. I'm saying that's you're not gonna be able to explain half the shit you've gotta do without spending more time talking than actually working.

Like telemetry. You could give em a quick overview "It lets people watch your computer and what you do on it, and even control it in some cases." And they'll say yeah turn that shit off.
>>
>>55303201
once again that's not what you implied earlier, you implied you were making decisions about shit without informing the customer of anything when they brought it in for something else
>>
>>55303182
so you are glad I cleared that up I guess
op talked just subject
the informed consent post talked about details... we for example call it reinstall windows
but we dont outline every step of the work, same with the other tasks
>>
>>55303231
I'm not OP. But if my job was to remove bullshit from new computers for folks who don't know shit about any of it, I'd also take off McAfee and disable telemetry.
>>
>>55303194
*Carrot nose
>>
>>55303254
true but that's not how op read to me, but I think we've got that cleared up now
>>
>>55303191
Maybe some kooky junkware program you uninstalled in the uninstaller asked "WOULD U LIEK US TO DELETE ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PROGRAM (PS: WE MEAN ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS LOL)? :)))))" and you didn't notice it
>>
>>55303231
I am OP
they know we "clean the system" they know we "change default programs", they know we "replace antivirus", they know we make some "various changes to the system", thats how its roughly outlined when the service is being sold to them at the front desk which I am not btw
>>
>>55303136
Most people have small hard drives. I would rather spend the extra time making backups than get a call saying their only images of dead relatives have mysteriously gone missing.
>>
>>55300821
Maybe this will teach you to back the shit up before messing with someone else's comp
>>
File: 41S3iXtSo1L.jpg (29 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
41S3iXtSo1L.jpg
29 KB, 500x375
>>55303286
well I hope I will recover the files tomorow with some recuva, getdataback and EaseUS...
the shitty thing is that its an m.2 ssd drive, we dont have m.2 to sata converter, so cant go the usual way right away.. to dissasemble take the drive connect to service pc and run shit on it...

I guess we are buying the converter tomorrow, only more and more m.2 will come

>>55303327
well good on you I guess, this is first time that mirracoulalsy shit happened, we got few dropped partitions on external SSDs, but otherwise the NTFS was pretty decent. Only damaged drives fucked with the data and we do hdtune scan on almost everything that comes, mostly because what follows is sell of SSD and money for reinstall service are good
>>
>Basic cleaning
>Installing 3rd party shoddy registry hacks to disable telemetry (Not your decision to make)
>Turning off onedrive (Not your decision to make)
>Turn off fast startup (Because DURRHURR FAST SSD GOTTA SAVE MICRO AMOUNTS OF BATTERY)

>>55300899
No, he's right, it's in OneDrive. If the computer is logged into a microsoft account it will default to storing "my documents" shit in onedrive.
Good job, you're an idiot for 4 reasons and can't even do your own job correctly.

Stop disabling things you think are "bad" because /g/ said so.
>>
>>55303393
you thin shit's messed up now, just wait till you actually recover the files and see that there's no organization left to them, they're now just a bunch of random photos/documents etc.. all in one folder
>>
>>55303399
>Turn off fast startup (Because DURRHURR FAST SSD GOTTA SAVE MICRO AMOUNTS OF BATTERY)
you have no idea how many issues we had with fastboot when it was introduced
well its not that many, like 15, but still its amazing that its on by default
we leave it enabled on HDD because its really helpful but it can fuck your day up
if someone goes multiboot and windows does not really shutdown its an issue
if you never do restart, whis is real, only shutdown you never really clear shit up there

for example if you shutdown a PC, you take out the drive, you copy 700GB there of files from previous PC
you plug it back in, you boot up and files are not there... what do you think was the problem..
yeah and with windows 10 update there were issues with fastboot as well..
anyway, if you have ssd I recommend turning it off, take what you want from that

>"my documents" shit in onedrive.
I wish I was an idiot, but I really doubt it :(
there are still links in recent cache pointing to the .ODTs that gone bye-bye
and they dont point to /user/Documents/OneDrive/blabla
they point to just Documents
One drive dont hijack documents as far as I know, and it would not remove them, it would just stop syncing them...
but will know more tomorow, one drive is the first thing I am checking out

>>55303453
its only few files, guy said like 20 documents, guy had the notebook only for so long...
>>
I fell for the win10 meme.
Everything is ok except that when I go to fullscreen mode while watching a video file in mpc or windows media player on my extended 2nd display, the desktop gets all pixelated. As if the scaling is adjusted. Only way to fix it is to adjust the display settings in the gpu menu or disconnect hdmi and reconnect.

I think the drivers just need to be removed and reinstalled. Never had this issue in Win7
>>
>>55303531
the way I look at it is, it's better to just fix the problem the customer have and not try to be a busybody.
That is similar to you calling a plumber to fix your clogged sink and after they fix it, they change your whole plumbing system and introduce a new valve that the customer doesn't know how to use.
>>
>>55303531
Copy all other important files NOW.

This looks like ransomware.
>>
>>55300841
fucking this. These types of things just don't *happen*. He has them saved to an external drive and he's scamming you.
>>
>>55303574
>I think the drivers just need to be removed
Good luck when MS controls what drivers get installed on your machine now and you have to go through hoops to override it
>>
>>55303636
since when does ransomware delete shit?
to me it looks like the customer was an idiot and somehow managed to delete it and now hopes to get op to bleed for it
i experienced enough scum like that to know that they are far to abundant
>>
>>55303621
in this case probably true
but there were people who came in with simple issue and left with ssd and fresh reinstall and they could not be happier in the amazing speed they get out of their old machines
and with their old drive in an external enclosure for 14€

>>55303636
ransomware announce itself, we have had some dealings with .locky
new bart didnt hit our bussiness sector, europe and foreign language is the best thing, most ransomware dont bother, but few deal with germans contractor and german invoice email comes...
>>
>>55303531
>you have no idea how many issues we had with fastboot when it was introduced
>well its not that many, like 15, but still its amazing that its on by default
>we leave it enabled on HDD because its really helpful but it can fuck your day up
>if someone goes multiboot and windows does not really shutdown its an issue
>if you never do restart, whis is real, only shutdown you never really clear shit up there
You talking about hybrid sleep or something else?
>>
>>55300821
>shutup10
>turning off onedrive
>turned off fast startup
>avira
>some minor changes like show extensions and <other personal preferences>
>mfw people bring laptops to this retarded fuck and get all pissed off about "that fucking PC repair guy" and end up going to Geeksquad next time
Fuck you.
>>
>>55302928
>you think you take all of the customers and explain shit to them and then they give informed consent? It would be bothersome to them and they would feel stupid as you would try to explain. How about removal of mcafee? should we consult everything? Installation of vlc? We tell them that we will make changes according to our ideas, how best to setup system... they agree...

That all depends on what you fucking agreed on. What did he want from you? Was he complaining about the annoying AV? Did he have trouble playing videos? Did he ask you if there was some way to maintain privacy in W10?

All of the things you did are so subjective. You don't like fast boot but at the end of the day it is a faster boot. You don't like McAfee but chances are he got a subscription for it with his laptop only for you to delete it and replace with an equally shitty AV.

For all I know you did discuss all those things but you certainly made it sound like all he wanted was to have his PC checked and his wifi fixed.
>>
>>55303724
http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/
>>
>>55303574
Win10 is bloated to hell. So much shit running all the time that you don't have "permission" to disable, settings that switch themselves back after you manually changed them, constant telemetry and spying, etc. It's fucked. Looks nice though.
>>
>>55303743
see
>>55303298

Sounds like these people know what they're signing up for.
>>
>>55303681
>>55303755

Well I can always go back to 7. At least I reserved the ability to clean install 10 if they fix these issues
>>
>>55303743
well front desk discusses with the customer and it was speech which I heard many times... and many times I gave it too

we will clean the system, remove unnecessary preinstalled applications, we install basic programs, a reliable free antivirus that is not very bothersome with popups or pushing for pro version, and so on, broad terms about cleaning...
>>
>>55303752
>When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all.

Holy shit, how is this legal? How can an OS even "lock down" the HDD so nothing else can access it unless it encrypts everything using only software it can use to decrypt?
>>
>>55303687
>since when does ransomware delete shit?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/20/jigsaw_ransomware/
>>
>>55303830
Oy vey it's to protect you from inferior operating systems goyim
>>
>>55303830
Windows 10 makes it very clear that it knows better than you and you should just do as your told, for your own good. Takes everything that sucked about Apple and doubles down on it.

sage for offtopic
>>
>>55303830
You're making an issue that isn't there. It's that way because the HD is effectively still "in use" since you didn't fully shut down. Messing with it can fuck things up.
>>
>>55303911
I don't understand how a HDD can still be in use when it is not receiving power.
>>
>>55303849
this actually is pretty damn cool
>>
>>55303849
>left key in source code
Lmao
>>
>>55301006
Lol, computers don't magically delete data.
>>
>>55303934
It's essentially a form of lock on the partition that third party tools don't know how to deal with. Fast startup is easy to disable, but it's a potential issue for dual booters.
>>
>>55304174
If you don't know what "partition" means you might be afraid it will imply you want it to delete some shit
>>
>>55301091
Why are here?
Move to America or some other 3rd world country where they don't have access to technology if you don't want to be around them.
But spending your free time on a technology board when you don't care about technology is just weird.
Nothing good has happened on this board for the past 5 years so it can't be for the good quality content.
>>
Does your company not make you get the customer to sign off saying they're risking losing their stuff? At my place if a customer has a virus or malware we'll just copy files and reinstall windows because it costs half as much as us removing a virus.
>>
>>55305610
Ah alredayz live in Murika. Also I just occasionally pop in when I feel like it for some reason. Usually when someone else rattles my bones over Windows 10
>>
>>55305741
>Does your company not make you get the customer to sign off saying they're risking losing their stuff?
As a customer, if I saw that in a contract I wouldn't use that place. Someone just getting some dust cleaned out of their machine shouldn't find all their files deleted.
>>
>>55305977

I don't like it either man, it's company policy though. Usually most people understand it's fine print matters that we need, and that's usually the time I remind them how much that same service costs at Best Buy.
>>
>>55300821
the files are in onedrive

maybe you should learn the first fucking thing about win10 and office365 fuckhead
>>
>>55307736
>Using cloud services ever

Tech-savvy people don't know how that shit works because they stay away from it because it's retarded to relinquish all your personal work to a centralized service that does everything without your supervision.
>>
lol it's basic practice to have people sign a waiver saying that you are not responsible for their bullshit data.

It's the same one you sign when you RMA a phone, a harddrive, a laptop, whatever, as it's standard protocol to wipe whatever comes in for a lot of companies.
>>
>>55309846
Exactly. I'm earning 50€/h formatting HDDs and reinstalling Windows the weekends for literally last 7 years. They know they are going to lose their shit and I tell them to back it up before giving it to me. If they can't I tell them some bullshit that maybe I can't restore all the data. Then I format it regardless for shits and giggles.

Majority of them are old fucks that don't know shit so who cares
>>
>>55309702
>Tech-savvy people don't know how that shit works because they stay away from it because it's retarded to relinquish all your personal work to a centralized service that does everything without your supervision.

>It's retarded to know the software that your customer uses
>>
>>55305977
>Someone just getting some dust cleaned out of their machine shouldn't find all their files deleted.
Unfortunately, some guy will come along to have "the dust blown out" but not mention the erased files on his HD. If you don't have the disclaimer in place you're cooked.
>>
There is no liability for the shop if the dude did not make a backup. He could take it in and the only solution might be to format and the drive and reinstall the OS to get it working again. If the dude did not backup his files beforehand that's his problem.
>>
>>55310005
One shouldn't be allowed to have such a disclaimer to protect your business from the real harm it causes to its consumers.
>>
>>55307736
we will know in 1 hour
>>
>>55300821
>basically brand new HP Envy
>wifi broken

haha, faggot should have bought a mac. also your shop is a fucking mess bro. how the fuck can you even make money if you have fucking amateurs who grasp at straws for even the most basic tasks. also who the fuck installs sketchware like shutup10 on a customers computer? he chose to have 10 installed let me him use it how it's intended to be used
>>
>>55310719
that's retarded. businesses have a right to protect themselves from customers incompetence and or acts outside their control.
>>
>>55301006
This fucking satire post
>>
>>55300821
And this is why you tell them and make them sign a form that they are responsible for all back up of data and in the event files go missing you are not held responsible
>>
>>55305977
And as a business it's not our responsibility to look after your files of you are too retarded to take a copy. The second we sign the machine off and hand it over what ever happens next is on you and if all your files happen to be missing after we signed it off and handed it back then it's your fault
>>
>>55300821
>I turned off fast startup
Retard.
>>
go C drive and go to user folder and see if he doesn't have another profile linked.
>>
>>55312811
Uhhh how is it the customer's fault that this guy deleted his files?

>>55312941
Then I'm shocked anyone uses your business.
>>
>>55300821
How the fuck do you work with Win10, but don't know how OneDrive works by default?

neck yourself OP, and tell the faggot to install gentoo
>>
Temporary user problem?

Had items saved with dads laptop, but then it went full retard one day and couldn't open files.

Had to open up ref edit or something, YOLO
>>
>>55300821
Judging by the shit you did to the poor guy's machine. you aren't that much more qualified to work on it than he is
>>
>>55313010
>Uhhh how is it the customer's fault that this guy deleted his files?

Uhhhh how do you know the guy deleted the customers files or even that the customers files even existed in the first place?? Uhhhh how do you know there aren't issues with the customers SSD that requires RMA, Uhhhhh etc etc. Any idiot that needs to have their computer serviced should not expect their files back when their machine is returned. Shit happens. That's why you make fucking backups
>>
>>55313010
>Then I'm shocked anyone uses your business.

you're the kind of idiot that goes in for an oil change, then comes back the next day claiming their radio has static for some reason because of the fucking oil change
>>
>>55313099
>>55313128
It's been established that OP fucked the guy by uninstalling Onedrive. Pay attention to
>>55307736
>>55313035
>>
>>55313010
Then you would probably be shocked any company is still in business.

Every fucking company that makes things that store data has a disclaimer in place saying that they will not be responsible for any data loss.
>>
>>55313231
Then reinstall onedrive and resync his shit from the cloud.

I never uninstall onedrive from customer computers because there are people out there that actually fucking use onedrive.
>>
>>55313234
It's different if it's a cloud service or something where you send your data to them. If it's YOUR PC and some business is working on it and they royally fuck it up, they should be liable.
>>
>>55313231
completely unrelated and wouldn't matter even he did. customer should have made a backup. if you paid attention to the posts you yourself are replying to my point is you can't entertain every imagined issue a customer presents to you. which is why a fucking BUSINESS needs to operate with standard procedures based around clear demarcations. not being held accountable for lost data is one because shops time is not worthless and likewise customers time is not worthless. dicking around and bickering over minutiae helps no one and could have been avoided if the customer backed up their shit
>>
>>55313275
>not being held accountable for lost data is one because shops time is not worthless and likewise customers time is not worthless.
Customers' data is not worthless either. How much time do you think customers put into making their data?

>dicking around and bickering over minutiae helps no one and could have been avoided if the customer backed up their shit

If customers backed up their shit PC shops like OP's wouldn't exist because they'd just back all their shit up and reinstall Windows and it'd fix any possible problem they have short of hardware failure.
>>
>>55313270
Have you ever RMAed a laptop?
All of them tell you that they are not responsible for anything on it, and the first thing they do is do a full system restore. Same thing with pre-built computers.

The responsibility of making backups are with the owner, not the manufacturer.

Some of them even go as far as to tell them to remove their harddrive from their computer.

Gigabyte for example will have you sign a form that says that they are not responsible for data, in addition to telling you to remove your harddrive and will charge extra if you don't remove your harddrive and still won't be responsible for your data.
>>
>>55313317
you're an idiot. if it was worth something to them they would have made a backup. and any idiot can copy and paste files to a usb. not everyone can reinstall windows or trouble shoot hardware though. moron.
>>
>>55313317
That's what repair shops are for in the first place, to fix hardware issues that customers can't.

Places that deal with data are fucking called Data recovery services/centers.
>>
/g/ is not your tech support team
:^)
>>
>>55313325
No one RMAs their shit just because it won't start or there's some other devastating problem with it. They take it to a tech support place which will try to fix the problem without deleting all their shit.
>>
>>55313336
OP isn't fixing this dude's hardware now is he? He's doing weird ass system optimization which necessarily means the customer expects the laptop back with everything on it
>>
>>55313560
and tech support place deletes their shit anyways and laughs about it afterwards. should have made a backup idiot
>>
>>55313606
>weird ass system optimization

more like OP was just dicking around like a rank amateur. i guess you gotta do something to look busy and avoid getting fired.
>>
>>55313608
If tech support could delete their shit that would imply tech support already fixed the problem. That isn't what happens. If they can fix it without deleting everything they do.
>>
>>55313633
>basic cleaning
I assume he means part of the job was to uninstall shitware since you don't exactly open notebooks up to remove dust
Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.