[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to "upgrade" old Windows 7 product keys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: win_10_story_468px_02.jpeg.jpg (50 KB, 468x168) Image search: [Google]
win_10_story_468px_02.jpeg.jpg
50 KB, 468x168
Is there a way to "upgrade" old Windows 7 product keys do Windows 10 without actually installing the OS on a computer?

I've collected about 10 Windows 7 Pro serials throughout the years (Dreamspark, 3 laptops, various old machines) but I have currently only upgraded one of them to Windows 10 (I currently own only one computer).

The free upgrade period ends in one month, so I'm afraid these Windows 7 keys become worthless (I kinda like Windows 10).

So what do? I don't wanna install Windows 10 ten times in one month.
>>
>>55297437
>I kinda like Windows 10
you kinda shit the streets too
>>
>>55297461
th...thanks
>>
Win 10 is good.
>>
>>55298131
you know what else would be good? a loo
>>
W10 activation is Uefi/bios bound, I don't even think you can pull the keys out and reuse them
>>
The answer is no because when you install Windows 10 the hardware configuration is used to generate the activation hash which is stored on Microsoft's servers now which is different from how it used to work. Because the hash is not locally stored on your end, and it must be created to lock in the free upgrade offer before July 29th, that means you have to actually install the OS on a given machine (but you can skip the key entry during the installation and then put the Windows 7 key in when you attempt the activation once online - you don't have to actually install then upgrade to 10 anymore).
>>
>>55298163

>W10 activation is Uefi/bios bound

No, it's not, as just explained above.
>>
>>55298183
Does this mean I lose all my free Windows 10 upgrades when upgrading/changing hardware (motherboard)?

Or can I then reuse the Windows 7 key I used for the first installation/upgrade on the old hardware again (with possible MS-call for activation)?
>>
>>55298228
Yeah, just give your 7 key when you switch motherboard or transfer it to another pc and it should activate
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.