[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"It's just a weather sensor baby"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: odrod-c1balls-nigputer-plus+.jpg (37 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
odrod-c1balls-nigputer-plus+.jpg
37 KB, 500x356
What services do you run/delegate to these things to justify their small but constant power usage?

besides ssh/vpn/samba/teledildonics/kazaa-d
>>
>>55296660
>>55296666

I use a old laptop for SSH/VPN
>built in UPS
>built in management console
everything else I run needs something beefier than a passively cooled arm chip
>>
>>55296660
Rtorrent, irc idling, NFS partitions. I'm also setting up Nginx at the moment.
>>
I kind of want to create some kind of 2 factor authentication for my mail VPS that doesn't rely on gugel botnet, but I imagine that's going to be a lot of work.
>>
Well, https://hackaday.io/project/11877-somatic-private-server for one, another to handle home automation (automated secrity and lighting), location tracking, my hydroponics system and security, another as a hub for all my equiptment at work (CNC, laser cutter, 3d printers yada yada), and other just sitting around looking pretty right now.
>>
>>55296660
>teledildonics
anyone doing that please elaborate on your setup
>>
Failsafe and firewall for my surveillance cameras.

Raspberry Pi
+ USB powerbank to protect myself against intruders who turn off the main power
+ 4G modem to protect myself against intruders who turn off DSL and/or power

acts as a firewall and VPN access point for my night vision camera
>>
File: 1406157091568.jpg (125 KB, 599x880) Image search: [Google]
1406157091568.jpg
125 KB, 599x880
>>55296660
>kazaa-d isn't real
>>
>>55297375
I hope you have sensors to detect when mains power is lost on that as well.
>>
>>55297546
Not directly but when the WiFi disappears, it is safe to assume the power is gone
>>
>>55297571
>not having a battery backup for your wifi
That's just inconvenient for yourself. DSL will stay up when the power goes out so long as you power the routers.
>>
>>55297343
Just the tip: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Raspberry_Pi#QEMU_chroot
>>
File: 3 Subwoofer Amp.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
3 Subwoofer Amp.jpg
99 KB, 1024x768
>>55296660

I keep my amps running 24/7 to keep their thermals balanced. They sound better and they last longer and it costs a non trivial amount.

>thisisnotacpu.jpg
>>
>>55296660
I have so many old busted laptops laying around I see no point in buying one.
>>
What's there to justify? It's like $2/year
>>
>>55296660
Murmur server and syncthing for my phones photos
>>
>>55296660 I use 2 of them to store my encryption keys in their ramdisks and unlock my computers with mandos. One day without login and raspberries will reboot.
>>
>>55297723
What is that and did you make it yourself?
>>
>>55296660
Seedbox and VPN.
>>
>>55296660

>Mumble server
>Prosody server
>Kodi HTPC

Kodi really sucks on it, though. It hangs for a few seconds during video playback quite often and will lock up every few days, forcing a power cycle. I would guess it's overheating the Mali GPU or the junk ARM drivers aren't handling things properly. The development for the C1/C1+ seems to have died a quick death now that the C2 is available, too. Oh, and don't even think about attaching an external NTFS USB drive to these things. What a flustercluck.

However, it makes a great server. I would love an ARM-based board with SATA support to try out but I haven't seen one yet.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.