[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning and Mastering LaTeX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: nathan_still.jpg (414 KB, 1200x2226) Image search: [Google]
nathan_still.jpg
414 KB, 1200x2226
How did you guys teach yourself LaTeX?
>>
>>55295286
From a 3 page pdf crash course in my compsci class that insisted we turn in everything using LaTeX. Emacs also helps.
>>
>>55295299
Oops forgot link
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr10/cos433/Latex/latex-guide.pdf
>>
>>55295299
Do you still have the PDF by chance?
>>
>>55295327
Thank you! (ignore the previous post)
>>
>>55295286
found an editor and the five or so tags necessary to write a paper, and googled everything I needed from there.
Currently have 16 lines of configuration by default, all commented.
>>
Got real sick of formatting equations in a document editor and that was enough motivation to learn it by the next assignment. Just watched a couple videos and then looked things up as I needed it until I got decent.
>>
>>55295286
Installed it, found some simple three line header and just started googling everything that went wrong from that point on. The easiest way to do it is to just produce something that you need, it's not like a programming language where you should first learn some basics. Although you should be familiar with what LaTeX is and what it's not.
>>
>>55295286
I just followed some really quite complete
>install this
>here is the template we are going to use
>do this
>do that, because of…
>and now, we do this…
>here you go: finished, nice document
tutorial, for some random essay (?) I had to hand in at university.

went from there with random googling and lots of trial and error.

However, latex is not a "skill" that likes to be left dormant. Went to industry after my MSc, and I hat of course to use the shitshow that is MS Word (it actually is not bad, it just was never meant to produce anything more than a quick, little letter, or 3 pages tech-report, yet everyone insinsts on using it to produce 50+ pages documents), but now I am back in academia, and it took me quite a while to get back into latex.
>>
>>55295286
I want Nathan to rape my boi hole
>>
Stackexchange and google
>>
Needed a job

Got a job
>>
>>55295286
Started taking notes for all of my courses in LaTeX. Creating diagrams was a bitch but typing is a whole lot faster than writing, which is enough for me.
>>
I just copy a template and look shit up as I need to
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.