[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are people on this technology board who defend iPhones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_20160309_222830~01.jpg (2 MB, 4544x2736) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160309_222830~01.jpg
2 MB, 4544x2736
>there are people on this technology board who defend iPhones
How can any technologically inclined person prefer iPhones? They're locked down iToys which can't do anything.

I have installed a Debian chroot on my phone by building it on my pc. I mount and chroot into the 2GB img file when I need to use the Debian utilities. iPhones can't do this

>pic related, using my Debian chroot to flash a program into my Avr microcontrollers
>>
>>55293604
just werks
>>
>Tfw 9.2 JB never
>>
>>55293604
> Congratulations. Your amazing and your project is amazing.

Is that the reaction you were hoping for when you made your post? Why should we care about the shitty project kit you bought of sparkfun or your opnions on iPhones?
>>
>>55293640
poo in loo pajeet
>>
>>55293604
OH mai GOD are you a leet haxxx0rz?
>>
>>55293657
100 rupees have been deposited into your loo rajeesh.
>>
File: IMG_20160305_191217~01.jpg (2 MB, 4594x2384) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160305_191217~01.jpg
2 MB, 4594x2384
>>55293640
Because it's a technology board you fuck
And no, I am just wondering how anyone who uses iPhones can defend using it from the point of a technologically literate person, since you're paying to get a locked down device that you cannot tinker around with
Also you're wrong, I bought that Chinese board for 10$, the Chinese usbasp for 1.5$

Can your iToys run a desktop OS on it?
>>
>>55293724
Why would I need to run a desktop OS on my phone? I have both a desktop and a laptop.
>>
>>55293735
I have 3 desktops, and 4 laptops and yet i love to tinker around with my phone. I like to have my phone's usability as high as possible.
>>
>>55293604
>How can any technologically inclined person prefer iPhones?
They use their phone for calls texts maps and shitposting. They do their computing on an actual desktop or laptop; not by typing terminal commands into their phone with their thumbs.
>muh storage space. Enjoy no music XD
only peasants use their phones as a music player
>muhh storage for pictures
Same argument as the music player one
>>
>>55293762
Have you maybe ever thought that other people might not share your hobby, and just want to use their phone as a tool?
>>
>>55293724
Easy there tiger. You're right, this is a technology board where people come to discuss technology. However, you can't pretend that you didn't create this thread to show off your project while trolling Apple users at the same time. This thread of yours adds nothing to this board. You need to delet it.

Sent from my iphone.
>>
>>55293805
>just want to use their phone as a tool?
>600$ for a tool that has no more functionality than a 200$ one
The word looking for is a fashion accesorry
>>
>>55293805
This. I listen to most of my music through satellite in the car and just want a reliable, durable phone with a good camera and battery life. The iPhone has the best third party support so ergo the most cases. And is the most durable as a result. It's inexpensive and does the job very well. My work phone is a droid turbo, tough as nails, decent battery life and call quality, ok camera.
>>
>>55293846
>functionality
It's about user experience.
>>
>>55293604
>iPhones can't do this
Android allows for a much larger user freedom, but consider this: some people buy a iPhone(or any mobile phone) for communication as a primary focus, instead of thinking "I am going to load another OS into this thing"
>>
>>55293878
>primary focus communication
>you cant communicate just as well with a 100€ phone instead of a 600€ iphone
Fashion accesory
>>
>>55293604
I used to be like you. Then I realized I don't want to be using a desktop os on a 5" screen. Seriously dude. It's a fucking phone. You make calls, send texts, surf the web, and take pics. It does those things well enough out of the box. Shitposting is just fun for some of us. Not a god damn lifestyle.
>>
>>55293846
>so insecure
>has to argue to feel superior.

Everyone has different tastes, do what suites your needs/preferences and move on. It's just sad you demand everyone be like you.
>>
>>55293893
You'll get ignored for your poverty color bubbles, so no you can't.
>>
>>55293901
You're making too much sense for OP.
>>
>>55293893
No, not just as well. Less comfort.

Are you poor?
>>
I basically use my phone to web browse while I'm on the toilet.
>>
>>55293604
THIS THIS THIS. totally agree.

>I have installed a Debian chroot on my phone by building it on my pc.
next time, use linuxdeploy. seiourly, it's just awesome
btw, linuxdeploy will install SSH in the chroot, then you can ssh into it from your computer, or from the phone itself, if you install ssh on it.
>>
>>55293956
simply ebin
i'm sure typing into a terminal on a touchscreen keyboard is so productive
>>
Wow congrats u can look at anime on ur super 1337 gigahertz plastic phone meanwhile iphone users are stuck with superior build quality, good design and actually having friends to call/text
>>
>>55293909
Im not even that guy you were arguing with, you said nothing against my point.

>>55293938
Its the same square slab no matter which phone you get, how can one be less comfortable
>>
>>55293901
>It's a fucking phone. You make calls, send texts, surf the web, and take pics.
it's a lot more than that. it has a CPU, GPU, external storage, GPS, ... a lot more stuff than your normal desktop. and, more importantly, IT RUNS LINUX.

>>55293962
>what is adb
kys pajeet
>>
>>55293962
>touchscreen keyboard
lol
>>
>>55293878
>some people buy a iPhone(or any mobile phone) for communication as a primary focus, instead of thinking "I am going to load another OS into this thing"
most people buys them because they show your social status (or something)

but this is /g/ - Technology, not /g/ - Consumerism, it's supposed to be the place where people either do tech stuff or learn about it.
>>
>>55293984
>Toyota vs Merc
It's the same enclosed cabin with a steering and 4 wheels, how can one be less comfortable
>>
File: 1464550759864.jpg (35 KB, 569x549) Image search: [Google]
1464550759864.jpg
35 KB, 569x549
Because no normal or professional person would even consider doing that, let alone take the time to research and complete the project.
You have literal autism, and instead of realizing you're an autistic little cunt you take the time to brag about it on an anonymous imageboard thinking you're in the company of other 1337 autistic h4k3rz like you.
You should probably kill yourself.
>>
>>55293724
>I bought that Chinese board for 10$, the Chinese usbasp for 1.5$

Post link please. I want to try that.
>>
>>55294034
Thanks for proving my point. Merc is all about status symbol. A lexus is just as comfortable.
>>
I think its neat. And iphones are for botnet chuckfags.
>>
OP, you should ignore the dumb haters.
we should start a thread on hacking android devices for multiple purposes (I'm >>55293956 )
I've actually thought of a few commercial uses for android hardware, because how is it not cool to have that powerful hardware in such compact, versatile format?
>>
>You are literally jumping through so many hoops to make a program work when in reality the iphone can download it from the iStore alot faster and you can use your time to do something more productive
>>
iOS webkit is the new IE6
>>
>>55294183
> Expecting autistic neet manchildren to do something productive
Their time is worthless desu
>>
>>55294183
>the play store doesn't exist
>>
>>55293604
They probably don't that much.
But they are outnumbered 100s to 1 in the buying public so Apple couldn't care.
The idea of a tech company is to make money, not amuse people who don't buy their product.
>>
Because I just want a smartphone and not a toy to do emulations/ricing/other geeky shit. I simply have no reason to spend money on a inferior product, iPhones do everything I need better than any android phone. Its not that hard, OP, different people have different needs.
>>
>>55294395
No, anon, that's exactly what SMART phones do. You want a dumb phone that can browse web and play games.
>>
>>55294444
Not really. iPhones do what every smartphone should do.
>>
>>55294456
>no file manager
No, anon, it doesn't. And if you jailbreak it you simply get what SMART phones have by default.
>>
I'd like a file manager to be honest but it was a gift so I think I'll keep using it.
>>
>>55294474
iOS manages files within apps
>>
>>55294474
What do you need a file manager on your phone for?
>>
>>55294180
I second this.
>>
Why Im on iphone:

>faster than any android phone
>best looking UI
>applications consistent with the system UI
>more practical UI (one layered home-screen/dedicated widget tab/swipe to return/3d touch)
>does everything I need
>just works
>doesnt lag
>pretty much the best build quality on market
>great camera/screen/SoC/storage
>great design
>software updates for years and years
>almost no depreciation
>more secure/encrypted
>apple isnt interested in selling my data for ad money
>best 1st & 3rd party and dev support
>higher quality
>imessage/Higher social status
>>
Who gives a shit though?
>>
>>55293604
iMessage and FaceTime are pretty great to have.
>iphones can't do anything
They do allow the user to make calls, texts, email, and can do all the other things a phone is supposed to do.
>>
>>55294180
>>55294504
let's do it then.
we need a logo- err, image asap.
what do you think about this one?
https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/blogs/wiredenterprise/wp-content/uploads//2013/02/big-photo-edit.jpg
>>
>>55294610
>link for a picture on a image board
>>
>>55294621
IIRC you can't post an image twice in the same board, can you?
>>
bumping for dedicated android hacking thread
>>
>>55293824
I have more impressive stuff lying around if I ever wanted to show off, this is nothing to me

>>55293901
Except I don't native boot into debian, its an img file that I mount and use when I need to

>>55294061
>>55294208
>having a technology related hobby is autism
>posting this on a technology board
You're lost little iSheep. I suggest you go back to macrumours or something

>>55294183
Who are you quoting?
There are many things the application store does not have applications for. Find me an avr assembler or compiler, same with 8052 in the application store. It's not there is it? You can easily find them in the Debian repositories

>>55294502
Dunno man, maybe for managing my files
>>
>>55293604
How is his practical?
Why would anyone want to do that on a phone when they can use a computer to do it.
>>
I like my iPhone 5s alot. It is very nice looking, and I dont need a high-powered mobile device. It is perfect for texting, web browsing, phonecalls, and some YouTube
>>
>>55294933
Mobile debugging terminal my man
For times when you don't want to lug around your laptop
>>
>>55294395
Just curious, what in your opinion qualifies as a smartphone? Before you answer, I'll just remind you that old Sony Ericsson phones had true multitasking, file system access, 3d games, OTA updates, PCs discovered them as portable drives for easier file managing, they could play music, videos and browse web. And yet they weren't "smart". So, what iOS provides that makes it smart?
>>
>>55293604
>not installing it on your toaster

faggot.
>>
What about an jailbroken iphone?you can customize it And it actually still works after you install all your riced out themes
>>
>>55295007
Everything my iPhone does qualifies it as smartphone.
>>
>>55295058
They're higher on the functionality than vanilla iPhones, but still lack a few bits here and there.
Android phones support a huge variety of USB peripherals, thumb drives, gamepads, ISPs, TTL logic converters, sound cards and god knows what. Afaik iPhones just support thumb drives
>>
>>55293604
>calls iPhones toys
>proceeds to praise Android
Both of them are shitty toys, just because Android behaves like a toy made for slightly older children than iShit doesn't make it any less of a toy. Post again when you get a netbook and run a full desktop OS with proper input devices instead of a shitty toy OS and an input device suitable for a toy.
>>
>>55295110
>doesn't say what it does
>>
>>55293604
Because the only good alternative can do everything except be a decent reliable phone that you depend on for a few years and gets updates on-time throughout?
>>
I can see why people would want an iPhone.
They have better hardware.
They get updates.

A modern phone with a 4" display, that gets updates is something I whish for a lot.

My main reason for not buying them is the software.
The defaults are so shitty they border unusable, and you can't change everything like on Android.
>>
>>55293604
if you think the iphone is locked down, or not the superior handset, it's because you are a novice.
>>
>>55293604
Ok, but for what purpose? I just want my phone to call and take pictures.
>>
>>55295221
Then buy literally anything. It's not like iPhone has the best reception and camera.
>>
Because I use my phone for texting, browsing the internet, music and snapchat and don't want to give a shit about anything and have my programs force close or give me trouble while I'm on the shitter.
>>
>>55295245
Normalfags >>>/b/
>>
>>55295278
Why would I do any of that other shit while I'm at the store or work? I have plenty of old hi-fi equipment and desktops to tinker around with.
>>
>>55293604
Phones are shit , both Android and IOS.
>Look at this APP is just wrotte
>I rooted my phone and installed and custom ROM

Literally the most boring shit ever.
>>
>>55295573
Why the fuck are you on a technology board then?
>>
because not everyone is retarded and wants to chroot their phone to flash micros.

I write high performance financial software for 8hrs a day. When I want to contact people or look up a piece of information on my phone, I don't want to emulate my desk job, I just want it to do what I ask it to.

iPhones are very good at just doing what you ask and not getting in your way. Android isn't as good at this.

The only reason I don't have an iPhone is because of the iTunes requirement, fuck that piece of software. And that's because Apple want to lock people into their ecosystem, which has proven to be a very successful tactic.
>>
>>55295873
there is more to technology than smartphones you fucknozzle.
>>
>tfw no OTG on my old shitty phone

would really want to try that new buspirate app
>>
apoplectic iDrones in this thread T b h
>>
>>55293604
If you are a security guy, you might prefer Iphone because
1) you might think their approach to file system is better security-wise (even if you don't necessarily think that iPhone in general is more secure).
2) their encryption by default is a good thing and more products should have that.
3) not many other phones use fingerprints for unlocking. I think?
3) iMessage is quite ubiquitous among iPhone users, which means that you can have end-to-end encrypted messaging with people who are not technologically inclined.

If you are a person that cares a lot about design and likes iPhone looks more than other phones, that might be a reason to prefer iPhone.
If you use other Apple products, you might prefer iPhone due to better integration (one botnet instead of several).

Why is it so hard for some people understand that people have different values? If you are a technologically inclined person who is interested in tinkering with your phone, of course you will prefer Android. But what if your hobby is network protocols that can be implemented on any platform? What if you care about databases? About security? Why the fuck would you necessarily want a phone that you can tinker with if you have no intention to do so?

Being easy to tinker with is a good quality, but not one that always outweights other considerations. Is it really so difficult to understand that? Do you seriously think that every single person who prefers iPhone just has this blind spot and makes this one decision

>inb4 Apple fanboy
I have never used iPhone in my life and I don't generally give a fuck about phones.
>>
>>55293604
>phone doesn't suit my needs
>phone is shit
this is called autism
>>
>>55293604
what can you do now?
>>
iphones can run android but no other phone can run ios
>>
>>55293604
WOW UR LIKE THE IRL WATCH DOGS
>>
>>55295201
>change everything
what exactly do you need to change?
>>
>>55298230
lmao what
>>
File: 1455303468119.jpg (18 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
1455303468119.jpg
18 KB, 255x200
>>55294516
>Higher social status
Congratulations! The only people you can impress by owning an iPhone nowadays is your family.
>>
>>55298307
openiboot, bootlace
>>
>>55293604
It's a phone all i want it to do is make and receive calls and texts, check instagram and snapchat and it does it very well. on my old samsung android i had to clear the cache every few days because it started getting slow which was annoying.
>>
>>55298366
this
my phone has to work, I don't want to look after it like if it was a child
>>
>>55298347
supported only by 3 devices
>>
>>55298389
there are only 6 iphones
>>
>>55298397
yes but the only supported devices are the first iphones, completely useless
>>
>>55293724
>/g/
>tech literate
please
>>
>>55298695
Fair point, this board is mostly GPU consumerism these days
>>
>>55299024
actually i just fucked off to /lit/ and /fit/
i visit g daily but rarely post, only post in interesting threads
>>
>>55293604
theyre fine if you dont actually do anything other than call/text, phone games and music

reliable and normie proof

dont forget that some tech-minded people dont actually use their phones that much
i didnt even get a smartphone til 2014, as i didnt see a use
>>
>>55293604
this is a consumerist board not a real tech board.
>>
>>55293846
It's great when Android has shit tier Bluetooth support so I can't even do the simple task of listening to music in my car without the pitch shifting of the music stuttering.

Meanwhile iPhones have better Bluetooth and accessory support so I can even just plug it into my car and be able to control and listen to music that way.

I'm not even kidding when I say this is at least half the reason I switched and it still hasn't been fixed according to this thread https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=95294
>>
>>55299807
Nice bait
iPhones have to connect to iDevices, maybe some handful of other devices and can't do stuff like transferring files or anything.
Androids can transfer files over Bluetooth, that alone is a huge advantage
>>
>>55299864
>Androids can transfer files over Bluetooth, that alone is a huge advantage
Not really, its useless.
>>
>>55293764
This guy gets it. I thought tinkering and ricing with Android would be fun until I realized the default apps are shit and all the replacements for the default apps suck even more because half of them were coded by some pajeet. I'll be switching back to iphone since its battery can last without me having to run a bunch of tweaks and can text/call/email without me having to download ten different apps for it to just werk
>>
>>55294098
Maybe to you, but not everybody
>>
>>55293893
Eh considering the default messaging app sucks on my $200 Android phone and all the replacements you can download suck or stop working after a month, I'd say I'm very much regretting selling my iPhone 5S. for an Android
>>
>>55293762
You're confused about the meaning of usability.
>>
File: image_6.jpg (84 KB, 696x927) Image search: [Google]
image_6.jpg
84 KB, 696x927
>>55294180
>Powerful hardware
Can barely run Android. Top kek
>>
>>55299864
You're straying away from my point. I'm talking about Bluetooth audio. And it's not bait.
>>
>>55294516
I agree with everything except the ad money part. Apple stuff phones home and to other random stuff very similar to Windows 10. I dunno if they are selling it or what but don't be blind to what they are doing
>>
>>55294976
Oh so you are saying manlets who can't carry a 2 pound laptop around will benefit from Android?
>>
>>55299999
Quints for the downs
>>
>>55294627
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: 1466730979187.jpg (54 KB, 553x483) Image search: [Google]
1466730979187.jpg
54 KB, 553x483
>>55300061
holy shit mom get the camera
>>
>>55296463
>iPhones are very good at just doing what you ask and not getting in your way. Android isn't as good at this.

hurr durr
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.