[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just bought 3 of these. What do I do with them when they arrive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: RPi.jpg (3 MB, 4224x2394) Image search: [Google]
RPi.jpg
3 MB, 4224x2394
Just bought 3 of these. What do I do with them when they arrive?
>>
loli simulator
>>
beowolf cluster
>>
>>55292458
there are a shitload of projects of things being done with RPis. try googling it.
>>
>>55292458
I actually have a question about one of these.
I bought one hoping to host an IRC bot but the goddamn thing automatically turns off every 24 hours.
I've checked the power strip and yeah it's fine, so I bought another hoping it was a defunct but no, they're all like that.
How can I fix this? Is it the distro doing that?
>>
>>55292583

You have to be completely retarded to think that it's normal or that you can't turn something like that off
>>
Seriously why is the RPI still a fucking popular meme?
When they came out they were super neat, but now there are so many alternatives - beaglebones for instance, or ODROID which has so much better specs for the price. I suppose RPI has a good amount of community support, various shield boards, etc, but if you get one over an ODROID without a specific reason to do so you're just being foolish.
Personally I put Debian on one and dicked around with it as a web server/ftp, after that got bored as fuck. If you're serious about using GPIO to control motors and shit it is probably a good place to start as a noob but hard to take them seriously for anything at this point. Maybe small embedded stuff but nothing beyond that.
>>
>>55292583
>Sounds like either a hardware or software issue.

Does it reboot, automatically shutdown or lose power entirely? Temperature? Is the power cable shit? Is anything drawing power from it? Hardware defect?
>>
>>55292458
Shove them up your ass.
>>
>>55292693
Beaglebones are nice, but the PowerVR GPU in there is worthless. Hardkernel ditches support for old hardware and Mali is OpenGL ES only. The only attempt to reverse engineer was scuttled several years ago. Meanwhile the original 256MB Raspberry Pi is not only still supported, it now has full OpenGL support and opensourced VC4 drivers. It's not that there is anything special about the hardware, the Raspberry Pi just has more momentum.
>>
>>55292583
I own 2 raspberry pi's and they dont do this. Sounds like you are doing something very wrong.
>>
>>55292458
bake them into a pie :^)
>>
>>55292693
>Personally I put Debian on one and dicked around with it as a web server/ftp, after that got bored as fuck.
you can do this with any android phone. you don't even need to spend more money on separate hardware.
>>
The only useful application I've found for them is HTPC w/ OpenELEC

and they're actually pretty neat with them too, onboard CEC and everything
>>
>>55293170
Cause I'm gonna use a phone... Plugged into my router... Wat... Instead of a $15 device useless for most anything else...
>>
>>55293021
ODROID is still better
>>
>>55292458
Learn to use google with them.
>>
Should have bought this instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001
>>
>>55293211
Higher clock speed and 2GB of RAM which admittedly helps a lot, but being able to play OpenGL id software games and Minecraft is nice too.
>>
File: kindashit.jpg (215 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
kindashit.jpg
215 KB, 2048x1152
Make a Gameboy emulator. Everyone and their mom are making them (myself included) and it's actually pretty fun if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
>>55293201
>what is adb
>what is reverse USB tethering
you could also learn a thing or two about android and linux with your android phone.
>>
What's something cheap I can use to run a ZNC server, and a file server?
>>
File: 1376169139721.jpg (62 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
1376169139721.jpg
62 KB, 437x437
NAS

I'm going to do that.
>>
File: fug it leds do dis.png (117 KB, 1024x749) Image search: [Google]
fug it leds do dis.png
117 KB, 1024x749
>>55292458
>build a laptop with 2 screens in the lid
>put 2 raspis in the laptop that share a huge battery
>2 trackpads and mini keyboards salvaged from those tiny ass laptops that were popular a few years ago
>2 webcams because why the fuck not
>shove remaining raspi firmly into anus
You are now Lord of the shitposters. Go forth and profit.
>>
>>55292693
>tfw spent $80+$30shipping on an Odroid XU4
>hdmi isn't compatible with my TV or monitor
>odroid keeps telling me to mess with HDMI settings
>finallly get around to trying it
>board is no dead, probably static damage
>warranty ran out
FML
>repurposed fan for Raspi3 Kodi box so my mom can cancel her rip-off cable bill
>pic related
>>
>>55292458
RPi + GPS receiver = a stratum 1 NTP server
>>
Why did you buy 3 Raspberry Pis if you didn't have an idea as to what to do with them?
>>
File: 1466610740832.jpg (36 KB, 680x765) Image search: [Google]
1466610740832.jpg
36 KB, 680x765
Just use Windows 10 on a normal computer, whats the point of using these shit mobile computers anyways? I swear to fucking god every time I see some autist try and use these, or ask for help regarding the shit rasberry pi """""computer""""" It makes me step onebday closer to fucking killing myself. I MEAN FUCK, there's literally no valid reason any normal person, or even your normal /g/ autist should even consider buying one of these pieces of shit. All this post really shows is OP's ignorance of microcomputing, and what using a computer is for. I mean it just makes ms so mad to see people use a fucking ARM based computer, then expect the peice of shit to actually function, let alone think they can be used for developement based projects. Last is the fucking hipster shit fucks who make """"gaymer""" tier """"emulation"""" """"consoles"""" Thats not only a waste of a shit computer, but a waste time, energy, and recourses.

Literally fucking kill yourself
fucking autists
>>
>>55292873
It seems like an automatic shutdown. When I go to look the power LED is still on. Is there any way to tell?
>>
>>55292458
>mindlessly buy shitload of (or even one) product X
>no clue what to do with it
>once you have it, you get disappointed because you don't know what to do with it
>hurrr product X is so fucking useless, fuck it, 1 star, 1/10, never again, shit, durr
>>
Return it and get an Odroid C2
>>
>>55294517
syslog, you faggot
>>
>>55292458
>Just bought 3 of these. What do I do with them when they arrive?
Shove the first one up your ass. Shove the second one up your ass too. Use the third one to wirelessly control the temperature of the other two.
>>
>>55292471
underated post, desu
>>
File: Epstein_The_Swami_Machine.png (207 KB, 370x740) Image search: [Google]
Epstein_The_Swami_Machine.png
207 KB, 370x740
Use one to build a Fortune Teller machine and put it in your local mall. Have it say insulting or generally pessimistic one-liners about the person using it, similar to Epstein the Swami in Bioshock.
>>
>>55292693
Don't forget orange pi pc which is a $15 sbc with a better SoC than the rpi2.
>>
A media box, a file server and an emulation box
>>
>>55293529
Pi based NAS seems pretty fucking stupid since the thing doesn't have 1000 Mbps eth.
>>
>>55298813
forgot to shed /o/ name
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.