[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this software viable? I mean a software that access a p2p
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: piedpiper.jpg (63 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
piedpiper.jpg
63 KB, 1000x1000
Is this software viable? I mean a software that access a p2p network in any place of the world allowing to view your files almost instantly without saving them in your device with top speed? In any place of the world? Is that possible?
>>
>>55291090
How is p2p any faster then just using a cloud service?
How is Pied Piper more effective then Dropbox or Google Drive?
If I upload a picture of my dick, why would it be on other people's devices?
>>
>>55291090
>>55291129
the next season will have an episode about the "god mode" and the ethical implications

bet you $100
>>
>>55291256
[spoiler]i miss person of interest[/spoiler]
>>
>>55291090
it doesn't really matter if you don't scale it

on a serious note it's viable because of "magical" algorithm
it's allways going to be vaguely described
show is about new tech that is clearly superior to everything else but it's never just about product etc.
just look at g+ vs fb (g+ went to shit in year after relese or whatever)
also wtf chineeese moot where is my spelllchecks
>>55291264
me2
>>
File: Dct-table.png (260 KB, 684x684) Image search: [Google]
Dct-table.png
260 KB, 684x684
>>55291090
>using a discrete cosine transform for lossless compression

Get a load of this fag, Lempel-Ziv-Welch is better than this
>>
>>55291090
It is definitely ~possible~ to make a better compression algorithm that allows you to be better than say dropbox. But the rest of what they say about stuff literally being available on any of your devices INSTANTLY without taking up ANY space makes no sense. Especially since it supposedly uses P2P which means even if you never 'uploaded' anything you would still be storing bits of other peoples data which would take up space.
>>
It's a tv show. If they really invented a revolutionary new algorithm they'd actually market it, not use it as a plot device for an HBO comedy series. Consider it a gift that Mike Judge is making it a plausible product instead of handwaving it with a magic macguffin.
>>
Neural net
>>
>>55291090
sure, the pied piper will get rid of the rats, but then you gotta pay up or it takes your children
>>
>>55291988

they're reffering to cloud-based storage. Obviously the software is just poorly coded
>>
>>55293245
But does it play super Mario?
>>
>>55292215
This.

The show is as close to real as it gets without actually inventing something. Good enough that they actually did invent a completely new metric back in S1
>>
>>55291129
Pied Piper is so effective because of the compression algorithm. Files can be stored on the cloud and accessed instantly because they are so small.

No-one but you, the NSA and the government could access your dick pix.
>>
>>55291090
>>55291988
honestly the concept they say they use in the show has some statements that make sense but only with lots of missing variables

>p2p
>lossless compressed
>stored "encrypted" no where and anywhere
>integrated maschine optimisation that gets better with more files

it sounds to me like the files get encrypted then cut up in chunks and a hash map gets created that maps to a chunk compression library
every user gets a part of that library and the file hashes get used to retrieve "files" and display them

if you map a file to a compression library and build the file from it by hash the "file" is just the size of hash and the real thing you want to store is the library part which gets quite big if you want smaller files

and there you need maschine optimisation to create patterns that map to the files and can be used to "decompress" the contents from

or just magic and d20
>>
>>55293583
This guy fucks.
>>
>>55291090
So, they have a supposedly very good compression algorithm, how come they are so retarded that they waste it on a fucking cloud storage platform?
They could use it to create and patent a new video codec, partner up with some bigger companies to create a new disk media, that can store 3 hours of 4K 60fps video in a single disk. license it to hollywood and become billionaires overnight.
Instead they get a shitty cloud app no one wants to use
How retarded can one be?
>>
>>55293853
>They could use it to create and patent a new video codec, partner up with some bigger companies to create a new disk media, that can store 3 hours of 4K 60fps video in a single disk. license it to hollywood and become billionaires overnight.
In the latest episode they pivoted and became a video chat company
>>
>>55291090
what happens if i have no signal?
>>
>>55291090
I don't know how, but apparently I'm the first to say that this is a literal botnet; they're using people's devices to serve content to their peers.

Also, if you haven't already seen them, you should check out some of the websites associated with the show:
http://piedpiper.com
http://hooli.com / http://hooli.xyz
http://www.endframesystems.com/
http://www.bachmanity.com/
http://www.coderag.com/
>>
>>55293853
>no one wants to use

It's not that nobody wants to use it, it's just that they didn't just hire a ux guy to fix a simple fucking problem with an obvious ux problem.

You can't solve every problem a show presents in a single episode. That wouldn't get them ten episodes a season.
>>
>>55291090

Yes, and it makes world a better place.
>>
>>55293988
you cucked yourself
>>
>>55291285
>just look at g+ vs fb
are you saying g+ is superior to fb?
>>
File: 1459434061662.png (148 KB, 388x228) Image search: [Google]
1459434061662.png
148 KB, 388x228
>>55293430
>>
>>55291129
>If I upload a picture of my dick, why would it be on other people's devices?
files are split into blocks and distributed across the network so no one has access to all the blocks but you
>>
>>55295040
These sites are awesome
>>
>>55297925
Also like how the pied piper site is already updated with stuff from the season finale
>>
>>55293623
voice of Mickey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6gw5LnKeGU
>>
>>55297905
So petabytes of data are stored on people's devices yet if says 0 KB used.
What?
>>
>>55291264

Currently rewatching the whole series. Can't believe they binned it
>>
>>55291090
Well, it's closed source, spies on its users, buys fake users and is a pothead owns 50% of it...

I'm still surprised no one gave a shit about their "god mod"
>>
>>55291264
Is it that good? I cringed on the 1st episode so I never continued.
>>
>>55300156
Same
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.