[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really want to like Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: penguin.png (880 KB, 1979x2186) Image search: [Google]
penguin.png
880 KB, 1979x2186
But it doesn't fail to let me down every single time. I'm not saying that it doesn't work, it does work, but the problem is that you have to make it work; simple tasks often turn into projects when using Linux, and that's fucking retarded.

Just today I was trying to get my video card running after a fresh install of Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16. In Windows it was a simple question of downloading the driver from the website, while in Linux I'm faced with the choice of either using and open driver or a makeshit official driver or a third driver that's neither open or official. Why do I have all these options? You guessed it, because none actually works for all cases.

So I decided to install the offical driver, and apparently I have to download three files that are used to generate the source, and then compile that source to generate a package that then I have to install manually. How can they complicate something simple so much? I get it that some people are interested in the source, and it's cool that you can have it, But why isn't there an easy option for the basic users? Why can't Linux have auto installers for everything like Windows does? From a practical perspective, if you can either use an OS that's 100% functional after installing it, or another one that will take days to be fully operational, be it for commercial or personal the choice is a no brainer.
>>
>>55290871

2/2

I did that shit to install my driver (for an outdated version of my distro, because they don't have one for the latest yet), and it turns out that it doesn't work with my desktop environment. Silly me for not seeing 200 steps and three days ahead when I was choosing my desktop environment. But it's not like it matters, because all DEs are broken in some way.

I really want to like Linux because the idea of open software is nice, but in reality it just results in several different software choices that don't work, for several different distros that don't work either, and then you can pimp it with one of several DEs that (you guessed it) are broken too. Probably 0.01% of open software works at an acceptable level, and that's what makes it shit; I hate corporations as much as the next guy, but this is just true. How do you Linux users deal with this fact?
>>
>>55290874
You are looking in the wrong spot. Ubuntu provides a neat tool called "Additional Drivers" or a command line utility of the same tool. Looks like pic related. Then just apt-get the packages in the list and be done.
>>
there is right way and convenient way
if beeing a slave/servant was hard there wouldn't be so many throughout history no?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-28_01-24-58.png (68 KB, 762x453) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-28_01-24-58.png
68 KB, 762x453
>>55290900
>>
>>55290913
The additional drivers thing is the right way. Downloading drivers from NVIDIA's site and running the .run installer is neither right or convenient.
>>
>>55290874
I'll take the bait.

>slap Antergos on my machine
>select proprietary drivers, wine, playonlinux, printer support etc. in the installer
>let it install
>done, maybe need to jump through one or two hoops to get it installing, mostly because my internet connection fails due to an ipv6 bug which is fixed easily with a kernel parameter (google is your friend)

>slap any *buntu on my machine
>installs without any issues
>update via command line or GUI
>install my software via CLI or Synaptic
>install drivers via additional driver manager or a PPA
>same ipv6 bug, again, kernel parameter, easily fixed when you know how to use google
>done

>install manjaro
>same thing as with antergos

It's probably similar with Fedora and OpenSUSE. Linux is not bad, it's different and you need to learn to adapt new concepts like PPAs or the AUR. If any other OS works better for you, fine, use that one, but Linux isn't half as bad as you're saying, you just need to find people to guide you through the minor issues and inconveniences/differences it still has, which are nothing compared to how hard to use Linux was a decade ago. Your issue is that you don't really know how to use your new OS and instead of doing your research and finding out how to properly install proprietary drivers, you chose to whine on /g/. Congratulations. If you're really, deeply interested in Linux, visit the /fglt/, become competent with it and THEN start complaining about the things that REALLY are broken.
>>
File: 1451081355979.gif (61 KB, 300x351) Image search: [Google]
1451081355979.gif
61 KB, 300x351
>install gentoo
>everything just werks
>>
i've been there till this week. it wasn't a driver problem but i was used to windows and its software.
now im xubuntu and i am surprised how fast it is and having a firefox that doesn't lag feels like heaven to me.
sleep tight linux
>>
GNU/Linux is a lot of trial and error if you're new. I'm still a complete retard with installing Linux on my PC, and it takes a long time to get it stable. However once it is stable, you start to realise what all the fuss is about. *cough* Except games.

After a while, installing Linux and knowing how to make it stable is like second nature. Just like how it is on Windows.
>>
>>55290871
>but the problem is that you have to make it work; simple tasks often turn into projects when using Linux, and that's fucking retarded.

if you want to make it difficult it will be difficult, case in point is you using ubuntu, the easiest distro to install proprietary drivers on as it's all automatically handled through the repos, and downloading and installing them manually like a fucking retard

>In Windows it was a simple question of downloading the driver from the website, while in Linux I'm faced with the choice of either using and open driver

the linux kernel provides generic open source drivers compatible with all devices, and manufacturer specific drivers, amdgpu/radeon for amd, nouveau for nvidia, by default *out of the box*

but nice try

if you want to install proprietary drivers your results will vary by distro largely due to legal reasons

>or a makeshit official driver or a third driver that's neither open or official.

there are no third party closed source drivers for either gpu manufacturer, what the fuck are you talking about

>Why do I have all these options? You guessed it, because none actually works for all cases.

generic/open source drivers are provided for everyone out of the box and those that want better 3d acceleration have the choice of installing the proprietary drivers

wew so much choice

>So I decided to install the offical driver, and apparently I have to download three files that are used to generate the source, and then compile that source to generate a package that then I have to install manually.

or you could just enable the proprietary driver repos in ubuntu and install them that way and have zero problems when it comes to updating the kernel

you know, the easy way

>Why can't Linux have auto installers for everything like Windows does?

what do you think the repos are?
>>
>>55290871
Desktop Linux is pretty much for hobbyists. There's nothing wrong with that except for people peddling it otherwise. I'm sorry, man.
>>
>>55290871
>From a practical perspective, if you can either use an OS that's 100% functional after installing it, or another one that will take days to be fully operational

what exactly is broke with the generic/open source drivers, exactly?

and days is a massive exaggeration, but if you want to go that route I'd ask you how long exactly it first took you to fresh install windows and get it 'fully operational'

>>55290874
>I did that shit to install my driver (for an outdated version of my distro, because they don't have one for the latest yet), and it turns out that it doesn't work with my desktop environment. Silly me for not seeing 200 steps and three days ahead when I was choosing my desktop environment.

silly you for not fucking using the fucking proprietary drivers provided by the fucking distro

here, instructions for nvidia, from here: (literally the first google result for "ubuntu 16 nvidia gnome") https://askubuntu.com/questions/760934/graphics-issues-after-installing-ubuntu-16-04-with-nvidia-graphics

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-364

wew so difficult

the link goes into further trouble shooting issues should you have them but I'm going to assume that ^ works fine, speaking as a non-ubuntu non-nvidia user of course

>but in reality it just results in several different software choices that don't work

because for windows there's always one suite of software for one application and it always works 100% of the time :^)

>for several different distros that don't work either

please, tell us, what distros have you tried, exactly? *most* major distributions offer proprietary drivers in the repos or can be installed somewhat trivially

>I hate corporations as much as the next guy

what do you think redhat and canonical are, you fucking mongoloid
>>
File: 1466008841693.jpg (2 MB, 2250x1500) Image search: [Google]
1466008841693.jpg
2 MB, 2250x1500
Well since I don't want to start a new thread and we're on the subject:

I as well have ran into an issue using a usb wifi adapter on my raspberry pi running raspbian.

It keeps wanting to connect with the onboard wifi (garbage) chip, it recognizes the external adapter (wlan1) but clicking on networks for it to connect to does nothing.

Is there any gui tool that I can use to manage all of my wireless extensions kind of like "wireless adapter settings" in "internet and sharing" in windows?

I tried network-manager but it had the same issue.
>>
>>55291451

are you sure the pi is getting enough power?

if so post the usb wifi adapter you're using
>>
File: Spectacle.TJ4705.png (34 KB, 776x364) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.TJ4705.png
34 KB, 776x364
>>55290871
Well, at least this is better bait than the other thread >>55287977

> it does work, but the problem is that you have to make it work
Well, at least now shills cannot use their usual 'windows just werks and linux not' because it already proved to be ineffective

>simple tasks often turn into projects when using Linux, and that's fucking retarded.
>turn into projects
>projects
Yep, shill thread. The best they can do is false flagging, but this time you was too obvious.

>while in Linux I'm faced with the choice of either using and open driver or a makeshit official driver or a third driver that's neither open or official.
Broadcom right? ubuntu literally does this for you, see pic related.

>and apparently I have to download three files that are used to generate the source, and then compile that source to generate a package that then I have to install manually. How can they complicate something simple so much?
see pic related. You're practically saying that because you don't know how to do it then is hard for everyone. Google is your friend, this is not an obscure thing and the installer is included in your operative system, what else do you need?

>
I get it that some people are interested in the source, and it's cool that you can have it, But why isn't there an easy option for the basic users?
Pic related makes this claim moot too.

>Why can't Linux have auto installers for everything like Windows does?
Pic related again, if that's not automated then i don't know what you consider automated. Also, windows comes with much less hardware support ootb, in that sense linux is much more 'automated' than windows.

>From a practical perspective, if you can either use an OS that's 100% functional after installing it, or another one that will take days to be fully operational,
>days
More false flagging, fud and shitty bait.

Nice try but your post, when it tries to make it look like it it has a reasoning behind it's based on false information.
3/10
>>
>>55290874
>But it's not like it matters, because all DEs are broken in some way.
Another empty claim.

>I really want to like Linux...
>more empty claims, false flagging, fud and lies.
>How do you Linux users deal with this fact?
Because it's not a fact. This bait is very weak, your only argument has been proved to be false multiple times and your claims are so wide that it doesn't even worth to try to prove them wrong. The next time research a bit if you want to make some good quality bait.
>>
>>55291469

Yes I bought a 2.5 amp adapter specifically bc of that issue i had earlier with the rainbow square popping up, it's gone now.

I'm trying 2 different ones, both TP-link:

http://www.tp-link.com/lb/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN722N.html

http://www.tp-link.com/lb/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN8200ND.html
>>
>>55291441

>silly you for not fucking using the fucking proprietary drivers provided by the fucking distro

Actually it's the proprietary driver what doesn't work with GNOME, because it doesn't support EGL interface, and thus I'm forced to use the open driver. The shit that you're saying just comes to show that you're making shit up to fanboy your shit OS.

>>55290900
>>55290914
>>55291362
>>55291576

>additional drivers thing

Jesus Christ obviously I would have done that if my device showed there, but it doesn't. That's why I had to do it manually, but this gem of an OS still found a different reason to fail.

>>55291640

>Because it's not a fact.

Is it not a fact that stuff on Windows works right after you install it while in Linux you have to tweak a bunch of shit to make it work? I guess now I know that you deal with it by deluding yourself. The fact that you're taking all this time to answer to every single line I wrote and nitpick shit about everything shows how butthurt you are about the truth.

I don't even hate Linux, I've been using it for six years. It's just that I accept that Windows is superior because it gets your work done easier.
>>
>>55291719
>Jesus Christ obviously I would have done that if my device showed there, but it doesn't. That's why I had to do it manually, but this gem of an OS still found a different reason to fail.
Assuming you're right and your experience is real is still a corner case. Sorry but for me it has worked very well.

>Is it not a fact that stuff on Windows works right after you install it while in Linux you have to tweak a bunch of shit to make it work?
It's not on my experience, if you're being sincere then you has been unlucky but that doesn't make you claims true.

> I guess now I know that you deal with it by deluding yourself.
nice try but now it's pretty clear that you didn't had an argument in the first place.

>The fact that you're taking all this time to answer to every single line I wrote and nitpick shit about everything shows how butthurt you are about the truth.
And you pointing at something like that how should be interpreted? And how you opening a thread and writing all those bunch of claims that are clearly false or very exaggerated should be interpreted?

>I don't even hate Linux, I've been using it for six years. It's just that I accept that Windows is superior because it gets your work done easier.
If you're sincere then it's your opinion, if you're baiting then i congratulate you for your effort.
>>
>>55291362
>>55291441
>>55291576
>>55291965

this is what is known as being freetarded right? thank god im not a linux user.
>>
>>55292047
this is what is known as being winshill right? thank god im not a windows user.
>>
Linuxes are weak because they're dumbed down for casual users and that's why they don't work. you need FreeBSD, look it up, it's the superior os and it will never disappoint you
>>
>>55291673

unfortunately it looks like you might need a powered hub to solve the issue but I'd look into it further in case it might be another issue -- http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

I mentioned the power thing originally because the rpi has always been shit about powering high current usb devices but it's usually the fault of suppliers not providing an adequate power supply to begin with, but some devices still need separate power from a usb hub
>>
>>55291719
>Actually it's the proprietary driver what doesn't work with GNOME
>The shit that you're saying just comes to show that you're making shit up to fanboy your shit OS.

so amd then, excuse me for not seeing 200 steps in the future :^)

coincidentally, the link I posted TELLS you how to fix your issue, you remove gdm and use another login manager that supports proprietary amd catalyst - you can keep using gnome as far as I'm aware

and coincidentally the issue you have of,

>Jesus Christ obviously I would have done that if my device showed there, but it doesn't.

is purely down to ubuntu 16.04 dropping support for amd catalyst -- http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/03/ubuntu-drops-amd-catalyst-fglrx-driver-16-04

if your card isn't supported with amdgpu then use ubuntu 15.10, otherwise you're literally complaining about a distro dropping support for a driver and not working with that driver, good job

it's a well known issue that amd have shit drivers on linux but once again it's purely the fault of shitty hardware manufacturers not providing support for their hardware

and nice of you to suggest I'm making up shit when you're doing exactly that - making up shit
>I want to like linux guys :^) I really do :^) but drivers that my distro dropped don't work on my distro :^)

>Is it not a fact that stuff on Windows works right after you install it

drivers break on windows - it's rarely the fault of the operating system and is always a nightmare to deal with

>The fact that you're taking all this time to answer to every single line I wrote and nitpick shit about everything shows how butthurt you are about the truth.

the truth is to cut through all the bullshit you have to nitpick every line until the retard you're replying to coughs up enough information, and look at what we found out: you're using a driver that a distro stopped supporting and are complaining that it doesn't support it, marvellous
>>
File: boogie.jpg (25 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
boogie.jpg
25 KB, 480x480
>>55292047

this is what is known as being gamer right? thank god im not a winbaby.
>>
>>55292375

What a great operating system it must be that it doesn't even support certain drivers. Thanks for red pilling me on how shit Ubuntu became. I guess I will try that OpenBSD thing.
>>
>>55292969
>I guess I will try that OpenBSD

boy you'll be in for a nasty surprise

if you can't fix your issue after I told you how, maybe just stick with windows :^)
>>
>>55292969
>What a great operating system it must be that it doesn't even support certain drivers.
For a lot of my friends some of their hardware stopped working after a forced windows 10 update like the sound card, also some of their older hardware don't even has drivers for w10. I tested and the hardware runs out of he box on an ubuntu live cd without even installing. They installed w7 because they use some programs that works only on windows though, for that reason i try to not depend on a platform-exclusive program is there's not a good reason.
>>
>>55293035

Can't really call it a fix if the fix is basically "lol change your os" can you? Might as well change it for OpenBDS and see if it truly is the superior OS. From what I've been reading it's superior to Linux and the logo is pretty cool, so right now I'm decided on liking it.
>>
>>55293155
>I'll go from an OS with 1% market share to one with 0.00241% in the hopes of finding better drivers
>>
>>55290914
Whenever I use this utility to switch from neuveau to a proprietary driver, I reboot and and see the Mint loading screen the my monitor goes into power saving mode. I've tried installing the latest drivers through the terminal with the same result. Anyone have suggestions?
>>
>>55293323
It goes into power saving mode because it detects no signal and there's no way to get the video signal back without going into safe mode.
>>
>>55293323

What >>55293342 is saying is that basically you have to install a different OS to fix it.
>>
>>55292969
>that it doesn't even support certain drivers
Windows 8 and later dropped support for my wifi/bluetooth switch driver. These are both "officially supported" OSs for my new laptop.
>>
Pay me and a handful of other software engineers an industry standard salary to work full time for a year or two and you'll have the most polished desktop Linux experience you've ever seen.

Not even kidding. I'd love for there to be a world-class Linux DE and I'd love to work on it, but as long as I'm paid $125k-$150k/year for making CRUD mobile apps it makes zero sense for me to spend my time working on something that won't even put food in my mouth, let alone allow me to work toward buying a house, saving up for retirement, etc.
>>
>>55293370

>>55293342 was me just trying to clarify what I was saying in my first post. Maybe I should switch distros (had the same issue with Ubuntu) like you say, but it seems strange that none of the reccomended drivers are working nor are manually installed drivers.
>>
>>55293513

How come nobody has done this? Every giant corporation since the 80s has developed their own Unix-like OS for their exclusive use, how can it be that a a commercial hasn't been developed yet?
>>
>>55290871
Linux is something that grows on you over time. The problem here isnt with the OS its itself, The problem is the user is just a noob that doesnt know what they are doing. Your pobably just using a bad distro like mint or ubuntu.
>Install Gentoo
>everything just werks
>>
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>55296163

I see, thanks for the information.
>>
>>55296163
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
File: 1451834124281.jpg (98 KB, 1024x904) Image search: [Google]
1451834124281.jpg
98 KB, 1024x904
why make your life hard with loonix when you can use based windows and play all the vydia in the world and use the best professional software?
>>
>>55299413

this
>>
Why would anyone install linux on their desktop-pc without enjoying tinkering with their system? Just stick with Windows or OSX if you want your OS to "just work."
>>
>>55291240
>Windows
>Not stable
This isn't 1998 anymore, anon
>>
Had to convert a bunch of scanned images into a PDF.
>Windows
Download shady crapware full of adware in order to get the job done
>Ubuntu
convert /path/to/images/* output.pdf
done.
>>
>>55303162

>Windows

Press the button that says PDF in your scanner and the images are PDF right after you scanned them.

>Ubuntu

Have to scan them first because the driver for the scanner doesn't work good enough for you to use the PDF feature. Then you have to convert /path/to/images/* output.pdf

However, this may not be true, because I'm assuming that the scanner driver will work at least partially, while in reality it probably won't work at all.
>>
>>55303275
Printer/Scanners have worked OOTB on Ubuntu unlike Windows.
Plus the images were taken with my phone, not with a scanner.
>>
>>55303533

>unlike Windows

Wrong every single printer and scanner in the current year works OOTB in Windows because they all use generic drivers. In Linux you can't even have the print to PDF feature working OOTB with the generic drivers because of muh license issues. That assuming that the driver even works for the basic stuff.
>>
>>55290871
>Click the "Windows" button
>Type "drivers"
>Additional Drivers should pop up
>Click that
>Check the proprietary drivers
>Install
>Reboot
>Done
>>
>>55290871
What operating system did you choose for your first GNU/Linux experience? Ubuntu pretty much does everything for you like right out of the box. Plug n' Play.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.