[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of Win10 being 'last Windows ever'?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: win10.png (2 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
win10.png
2 KB, 120x120
What do you folks think of Windows 10 being the last ever edition of Windows?
>>
i think we should start expecting computers to have a "natural life span" because the default operating system will be updated to the point of incompatibility with "old" hardware. like you see with ios today. I doubt windows will follow the apple trend of ageing out old devices, so that you get stuck with an older version of the operating system because your computer is too old to update. I think windows will happily update you to the "latest and greatest" every month or so and your computer will slowly and subtly be less and less capable of handling it.

I'm expecting laptops to become about 2-4 year replaceable, as an industry standard.
>>
>>55288926
>Currysoft literally cucking their piece of shit OS into its users
>>
>>55288995
Wouldn't this make Linux a more viable OS over time, since it can better take advantage of older hardware?
>>
>>55289049
it's already becoming more viable
>>
i think windows 7 support will last forever just like dos applications
>>
>>55289109
aren't microsoft killing the support in 2020 ish?
>>
>>55289049
yeah, but linux has always been obviously a more viable solution to the OS dillema, and most people still dont even know its an option, or even how to begin to peruse such an option.
>>
Well it's certainly the last ever edition of Windows I'll be using. Every single update and reboot fucks my graphics drivers somehow after doing every possible thing to disable and purge and reinstall according to every single thing written about the issue. No matter what, my screens just turn solid colors after a few minutes and the system hard locks. If I reinstall the drivers, it's fine until the next update. The drivers aren't even being replaced on update anymore, literally nothing about them changes, yet Windows still somehow manages to fuck it up. I can't comprehend how average users are supposed to deal with this sort of shit.
>>
8.1 was more comfy and had better performance
>>
>>55289120
That didnt stop idiots and poorfags from holding on to XP.
>>
>>55289138
Linux will become viable the moment its taken seriously as a mainstream gaming platform. Vulkan needs to be adopted first.
>>
>>55289049
>>55289138
I honestly believe that if Microsoft actually does this "last Windows ever" thing, Linux will grow in its usage and popularity

Because as >>55288995 writes, Microsoft will inevitably have to do something to prompt the purchasing of new hardware, otherwise everyone would just buy a single computer and be done with it.
When people are buying a computer every few years, as opposed to the many years that most adults and tech illiterate do, they will begin to wonder whats up.

My fear in this is that more groups such as Canonical will spring up, that are for profit to meet the newly emerging demand for non-shit operating systems. That isn't necessarily the end of the world, but we all want our shit to be developed for free and with tender loving care.
Of course we realize that Linux devs need to feed themselves too, and blah blah blah but this is a different discussion altogether
>>
I'm worried about how it's going to be monetized later. There's only so many times you can sell a license to the "last" version of windows
>>
Windows 10 is going to be Window's last version sorta like how OSX was the last version of MacOS.

Expect to see Windows 10.11 in a decade or so.
>>
>>55289561
>Linux will become viable the moment its taken seriously

To whom? It's already being taken seriously in the datacenter, phone makers, embedded, supercomputers, engineering, sciences...

> as a mainstream gaming platform.

Oh that.

>>>/b/
>>
>>55288926
i don't
we will see next edition in few years when tech advaces
they are late as allways and something will change so dramatically in next decade they will have to put completly new verion out as 10 will become too bloated and dated
>>
File: 1466514177279.gif (2 MB, 475x277) Image search: [Google]
1466514177279.gif
2 MB, 475x277
>>55289519
>tfw 8.1 with Start8
>>
I think Windows 11 will come out when they realize they still haven't gotten Win10 installed on 1 billion devices like they wanted to.
>>
>>55290839
Besides 1) being evil/proprietary/blah, and 2) the annoying metro split (e.g. the Control Panel and Settings App are basically the same thing, except that Settings is designed for a touch screen), Windows 10 isn't so bad.
>>
I just want them to fire the fucking pajeets that design the interfaces, they're so fucking bland.
>>
>>55289049
Yes. Yes it would.
>>
>>55290733
They should name windows 10 upgrades as races is osx uses animals
>Windows 10 Chinese
>Windows 10 Turkish
>Windows 10 Nigerian
>>
>>55288926
Happy that the last version of Windows is shit.
>>
I'm still debating whether I should upgrade to Windows 10 just to get the free license before the time limit is up. I can always go back to Win7 later. It's just a real pain in the nuts to have to reformat twice just so I can acquire a Windows 10 key I may not ever use. On the other hand, if I miss the window of opportunity, I might end up having to take a risk pirating it at a later date or actually pay money for it.
>>
>>55288926
Not a moment too soon.
>>
The eternal botnet
>>
>>55293600
To be scientifically correct, there would then only be 1 upgrade, Windows 10 Human.
>>
>>55288995
You really think the OS is going to throttle your pc in the long run?
Wow. Talk about theories.
>>
>>55293688
To be scientifically correct none of the conceivable options would suffice considering there's no scientific consensus on human races.
>>
>>55288995
This is such bullshit. My install works great on a +10 year old shit build
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.