[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux... just... no.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10
File: penguin.jpg (84 KB, 250x249) Image search: [Google]
penguin.jpg
84 KB, 250x249
1. No good flash support
2. No good browsers
3. Awful text rendering
4. Gay-ass 'store' built in for 'free' software
5. Gay shit terminal. NO THIS IS NOT A POSITIVE YOU FUCKING NERDS.
6. No Adobe
7. Has games, but runs way worse.
8. Have to manually compile shit
9. No .exe or .dmg support
10. Customization is possible but tedious as fuck
11. All linux file system managers are SHIT. and i thought Finder on mac was bad
12. No cute personal assistant (Cortana and Siri)
13. No iPhone support built-in
14. No iTunes
15. Free software is SHIT compared to propietary. The ONLY good free software is emulators and VLC.
16. Support on Linux sucks cock.
17. Graphics drivers on Linux are DISGUSTINGLY BAD
18. Devs tend to use windows and mostly Mac, so by using Linux you're a huge faggot who can't work with everyone else
19. No good web development software i.e. DreamWeaver
20. Can't develop for iOS using Swift.
>>
21. Installation of some distros is too hard
22. Linux is a server OS. Not for desktop use.
23. Ubuntu comes with Amazon spyware
24. Uninstalling on Linux is impossibly hard. There is no 'uninstaller' (mac DOES have one but you gotta download from the App Store)
25. Normies will NOT know how to use your machine. Yes this is a big deal. What if they come over and want to play some music or show you a TV series
26. No native Spotify, Netflix or other epic service
27. No Microsoft OneDrive or iCloud
28. No Handoff
29. Linux settings are hidden away, Windows settings are clear and easy to find.
30. Designing/drawing/etc is better on a surface or an ipad or a mac. Linux can't do this properly.
31. Can't easily install an xbox controller
32. Can't easily plug in your printer
33. Can't easily find drivers for custom keyboards
34. Razer / Steelseries / Logitech don't build software for linux
35. Screen recording is easier on Mac
36. Accessibility for hearing/sight impaired people is FAR superior on Windows and Mac and even iOS and Android
37. Red-Hat, Canonical, Manjaro, Mint cannot be trusted with your system. Worst apple and microsoft will do is monetize you for ads.
38. Can't cast media to other devices
39. Scrolling is laggy as shit
40. You have to compile shitty software if you use a nerd os like arch or gentoo
>>
>>55287977
Holy shit this is some bait.
/thread and kill your self
>>
File: AbeOik6.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
AbeOik6.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
Jesus Christ at least put some effort into your bait posting
>>
File: 1466217216531.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1466217216531.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>55287977
Well done Pajeet!

A 20 rupee bonus has been deposited in your Apple affiliate account!
>>
PAJEET

MY

SON
>>
>>55287977
>>55288022
>>55288099
be sure to put 'sage' in the options field if you're going to reply to shit like this

OP, it's cool, we get paid more if there's one less tech savvy individual around.
>>
Can't wait for this thread to reach 300+ replies even though it's obviously 100% a troll thread
>>
I agree with OPs post. Windows for life. Find something better. Pro tip: you can't. Linux is shit and I have a life not wasting my time with that garbage. I have no complaints about windows 10 it does everything I need and more.
>>
These are mostly good complaints. One id like to add is that you can't choose what disk to install programs on. That's been a thing since 1995 for Windows.
>>
>>55287977
This is the worst bait I've seen in MONTHS. You should be ashamed.

t. Windows user
>>
>>55287977
POO IN THE LOO RAJESH. No one takes your shitty bait thread seriously.

Report troll threads
>>
File: IMG_20160609_195752.jpg (16 KB, 245x259) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160609_195752.jpg
16 KB, 245x259
good thread anon
>>
>Linux is a server OS. Not for desktop use.

You could've just left it at that really. But good effort anon.
>>
Linux forgets to take into account that not all computer users are virgin NEET code monkeys. Most of us have lives.
>>
>>55288214
Not all distros are Gentoo and Arch
>>
sure is summer in here
>>
>>55288214
>"most of us have lives"
>actually vitits 4chan
tok pep
>>
Used both for years.
Couldn't disagree with OP more.
Windows is a gigantic sack of syphillitic pus.
They've now bypassed the inevitable malware infections by making the OS itself malware.
>>
>>55288214
Computer illiterates use windows and they don't belong here. You really can't prove me wrong, specially when you consider the knowledge level of windows users as a whole.
>>
>>55288351
Nice try, Pajeet
>>
₪0.10 has been added to your PayPal account. Thank you for your dedication.
>>
>>55287977
>Flash support.
Your mom need flash support
>>
>>55287977
>>55287995
macosx/osx/macos does not have these problems
>>
File: 1456453312347.png (71 KB, 412x433) Image search: [Google]
1456453312347.png
71 KB, 412x433
>>55288373
Funny how Microsoft is owned by a prajeet. Maybe I hurt your feelings but that's a known fact.

Typical windows users can't even install "verizon internet CD" and install internet on a Linux machine. Those Windows users do not belong here, and you are not any different I guess.
>>
>>55288414
POO IN LOO PAJEET
>>
>>55288436
windows: pajeet
os x: rahjeet
freebsd: owned by fucking faggots
openbsd: john
linux: linus

no os is safe
>>
>>55288473
One of these isn't an OS
>>
>>55287995
>21. Installation of some distros is too hard

Pleb detected. Linux is not for you.
>>
>>55288479
oh, and GNU: mr stallman
>>
DESIGNATED
>>
>>55287977
>1. No good flash support
>supporting a closed technology that is practically dead at this point anyway
>2. No good browsers
If you think edge, IE and safari are better than the rest go for it
>3. Awful text rendering
Not even you believe this, by this logic no one should be using windows
>4. Gay-ass 'store' built in for 'free' software
More like: trusted repositories full of useful software without restrictions for being distributed
>5. Gay shit terminal. NO THIS IS NOT A POSITIVE YOU FUCKING NERDS.
The terminal is optional, just because the one windows has sucks doesn't mean that having a functional one is a bad thing, otherwise why the bash for w10 thing existis?
>6. No Adobe
True, however this doesn't means that there's no good software that can substitute it, it would be good having their products though.
>7. Has games, but runs way worse.
True, however consider that microsoft has an strong lock-in with their APIs and the game developers are practically trained into using their tools. Fortunately this is changing slowly and multi-platform tools seems to be the future. If the current MS monopoly benefits you in any way and you want to support this situation is up to you.
>8. Have to manually compile shit
This is true also for windows and is much harder and cumbersome, if your argument is that there's software that is not package in my opinion at this moment this is not a problem anymore, your information is very outdated.
>9. No .exe or .dmg support
Are you serious?
>>
The true operating system is Solaris. Come home white man
>>
>>55288562
also
.dmgs are, in fact, supported
and no substitutes for aftereffects/premiere :(
>>
>>55288562
>10. Customization is possible but tedious as fuck
Trying to sell the lack of a feature as a feature? sorry but you'll not convince anyone just saying that having good customization available is a bad thing.
>11. All linux file system managers are SHIT. and i thought Finder on mac was bad
Be more specific with "system managers", you clearly don't know what you're talking about. If you're referring to tools like synapse, krunner and similar let's people to try them and decide that. For me your claim is false.
>12. No cute personal assistant (Cortana and Siri)
True, if this is important for you you have a point here.
>13. No iPhone support built-in
>14. No iTunes
For those two points my answer is to consider that, as with adobe, that support depends enterely on that third party company, not a problem directly with linux. Fortunately at this point android is much more popular in most countries than apple products, so if you want to use linux buying a product from this company is vary unecessary in the first place.
>15. Free software is SHIT compared to propietary. The ONLY good free software is emulators and VLC.
An empty claim, if you're fine using only propietary software except VLC and emulators go for it but for me your claim is false.
>16. Support on Linux sucks cock.
A very wide claim. I think you're being vague on purpose because you know your claims will crumble if someone questions them.
>17. Graphics drivers on Linux are DISGUSTINGLY BAD
While not completely wrong, a very outdated claim. Most of the problem at this moment regarding that are bad ports from games that uses MS APIs. At this moment even the mesa drivers are at GL 4.3 and soon at GL 4.5. Even AMD which used to be problematic changed their stack to a new one.
>>
File: 1438900909824.png (168 KB, 329x630) Image search: [Google]
1438900909824.png
168 KB, 329x630
>>55288562
>>55288607
>replying seriously
>>
>>55288607
>>55288562
It's a bait thread and Mods are too tech illiterate to comprehend. Report
>>
>>55288605
>.dmgs are, in fact, supported
do you mean .dngs can be installed on linux?

>and no substitutes for aftereffects/premiere :(
http://alternativeto.net/software/adobe-after-effects/?platform=linux
>>
>>55288607
>18. Devs tend to use windows and mostly Mac, so by using Linux you're a huge faggot who can't work with everyone else
The name calling part clearly shows me to be desperated to convince someone. While not completely false i consider you're blowing the problem out of proportion by a lot. Be more specific.
>19. No good web development software i.e. DreamWeaver
I don't know if i should laugh or cringe at this claim.
20. Can't develop for iOS using Swift.
>My answer is the same as with 13 and 14, however i think swift is available for linux now, so not even this "safe" claim resulted to be true completely: https://swift.org/download/#releases
>21. Installation of some distros is too hard
The go and install the ones that are crafted for the common user, the installation is
>22. Linux is a server OS. Not for desktop use.
I know this is a bait thread and i'm answering for fun but seriously, at least make some effort.
>23. Ubuntu comes with Amazon spyware
Not anymore, also unlike windows you can use other OS and you don't risk to get locked into one vendor.
>24. Uninstalling on Linux is impossibly hard. There is no 'uninstaller' (mac DOES have one but you gotta download from the App Store)
?????,
>25. Normies will NOT know how to use your machine. Yes this is a big deal. What if they come over and want to play some music or show you a TV series
>>
>>55288818
>25. Normies will NOT know how to use your machine. Yes this is a big deal. What if they come over and want to play some music or show you a TV series
Even my parents use it and they doesn't know anything about computers.
>26. No native Spotify, Netflix or other epic service
Both are available and native just FYI
>27. No Microsoft OneDrive or iCloud
Tons of alternatives though
>28. No Handoff
True but you can use kdeconnect and the synchronization functions from other programs like firefox.
>29. Linux settings are hidden away, Windows settings are clear and easy to find.
If opening the settings dialog is hard for you i guess you're right.
>30. Designing/drawing/etc is better on a surface or an ipad or a mac. Linux can't do this properly.
Why don't you buy a wacom tablet and use krita?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
>31. Can't easily install an xbox controller
If plugging it in the usb port is not considered easy i guess you're right.
>>
>>55288911
>32. Can't easily plug in your printer
you can
>33. Can't easily find drivers for custom keyboards
>34. Razer / Steelseries / Logitech don't build software for linux
True, you have a point here
>35. Screen recording is easier on Mac
use simplescreenrecorder and kdenlive, famicom
>36. Accessibility for hearing/sight impaired people is FAR superior on Windows and Mac and even iOS and Android
I don't know very well about this but most desktop environmets has acessibility options, i don't use them though.
>37. Red-Hat, Canonical, Manjaro, Mint cannot be trusted with your system. Worst apple and microsoft will do is monetize you for ads.
trust in whatever you want but microsoft has a pretty bad record already and apple is very restrctive.
>38. Can't cast media to other devices
Yes, you can.
>39. Scrolling is laggy as shit
No, is not.
>40. You have to compile shitty software if you use a nerd os like arch or gentoo
Then don't use it.

It was fun but man, i hope you're playing to be stupid because if this, by any means, is not cheap bait i feel bad for you.
>>
>>55287977
this post again..

flash is insecure
ff/chrome/open source ff alternative
mine looks great thank you
apt-get is not a store, pajeet.
wangblows has a terminal too, this one is just more usable
wine, gimp, VM, etc...
see above. if you want games Linux isn't for you.
Not most of the time. Plus it's usually only 2 commands.
Because we have .deb, etc
Pretty easy if I say so myself. /usr/share/themes gets you a completely new look. And what can you guys change? Your text highlight color and window tint? Nice.
Nautilus, cd, rm, mv, cp, etc...
Personal assistants are a meme. The only thing people ask them to do is ask what's 0 / 0, etc
My iPhone worked fine while I had it. Moved to Android a few years ago, though. Sorry about your bad experience :^)
>iTunes
Are you saying proprietary software doesn't exist on Linux too?
you tried
i'm using amd atm and it works great. Windows causes my screen to flash and tear.
Most of the time the issue is the programming language that the devs are using, not the Os itself.
Intellij has some great ides
>>
>>55288432
> owned by
Really?
>>
There are people in this thread RIGHT NOW taking the bait.
>>
>>55289067
>see above. if you want games Linux isn't for you.
This should be corrected to: If you care about an specific game or the games are your biggest priority over anything else and competing for getting more FPS in a game is more important than playing the game by itself then linux is not for you.

The fact is that there's a lot of games available for linux now and is growing. The biggest obstacle is that the developers are practically trained to develop for windows and linux is still unkown for them. By using multi-platform technologies from the start and abstracting your code you can release on multiple platforms easily. The problem is when a game uses a console-only or windows-only tool, just porting it will add overhead in most cases.

If you like linux more and want to play games now is possible:
https://steamdb.info/linux/
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
https://www.youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/PenguinRecordings
https://www.youtube.com/user/GamingOnLinuxcom/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
>>
>>55289185
>There's people right now in /g/ creating bait
>>
>>55288922
>35 Screen recording is easier on Mac
GNOME 3 you can use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R to record webms
>>
I considered listing the obvious rebuttals but I am not as autistic as OP and actually have some pussy to stick my dick in

>OS X on laptop
>linux on print server/NAS
>linux on other laptop that actually has the battery life and durability needed to leave the house

i don't know why i even have the mac instead of a desktop. comfort?

i used to have a desktop but i converted it into a fanless print server/nas so i wouldn't have to shop around for a bullshit wireless printer, looking for that unicorn laser printer that has full functionality on more than windows 7 and outdated OS X
>>
File: master shill.jpg (144 KB, 634x822) Image search: [Google]
master shill.jpg
144 KB, 634x822
GOOD JOB PAJEET MY SON BUT YOU ARE STILL MANY THING TO LEARN
>>
>>55289336
seriously? that sounds cool
>>
>>55287977
>13. No iPhone support built-in
>14. No iTunes
funny thing is gtkpod is far better than shitty itunes
>19. No good web development software i.e. DreamWeaver
bait runed and now i feel like a faggot for replying
>>
>>55287977
I do all my work and most of my leisure browsing/media on a linux machine. I only use Windows for games.

Your fault you're too retarded to use something other than a spyware-riddled proprietary mess of an operating system.
>>
>Can't easily plug in your printer
just plug it in lmao
>>
File: bait_1080p.jpg (6 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
bait_1080p.jpg
6 KB, 277x182
>>55287977
>flash support
>>
>>55287977

I agree.
>>
>>55290287
Dreamweaver is actually pretty good, and visual studio web is good if you are doing asp
>>
>>55288585
Solaris is only viable for servers, and even then I don't see why Linux wouldn't be a better option.
>>
>>55287977
After reading the first 5 you could've convinced me you were talking about Windows 10.
6 wrong
7 true
8 wrong again, you'll just need third party software
9 see number 8
10 wrong again (a good example to prove my point is Unity Tweak Tool)
11 are you just retarded?
12 you mean annoyances that take up space I could use otherwise?
13 is it that difficult to install libimobiledevice?
14 wrong again
15 pure and unfiltered opinion
16 be more specific
17 it's hit or miss but not always
18 why don't you have a separate computer for work? Weeaboo nigger
19 look harder
20 that's why I'm dual booting Ubuntu and OSX on my chinkpad

You're an idiot, pajeet.
>>
>>55287977
Legitimately a great post. Windows has its problems for sure, but if you replaced its market share with literally any iteration or distro of linux it would have 1,000x the hate.

M$ caters to an absurd market size of hardware and they do a damn good job of it. I fucking despise a lot of their business practices, but their nigh universal compatibility and driver support is peerless.
>>
All lincux have is servers and low resource usage so their 10 year old shitboxes can run it.
>>
>>55287977
1. Literally what?
2. No OS has good browsers
3. Better than Windows
4. What? Speak English, Pajeet
5. Better than Windows's terminal
6. True. Although this makes point redundant (i.e., you're grasping as straws)
7. Get a console, kid
8. Literally a bullshit meme
9. Use WINE for .exe support. Nobody cares about .dmg
10. Much easier than literally any other OS
11. If you thought finder was shit, you probably just have winbabby duck syndrome
12. Yep, babby duck syndrome
13. Windows doesn't have iPhone support built-in either
14. Once again, this makes point 13 redudant. Keep grasping
15. There are plenty of examples of proprietary software that are way shittier than free software. Just remember that shit like toolbars are almost always proprietary. Also, if you think VLC is good then you're a retard (bur we already knew that)
16. Support for what? Linux has better hardware support than Windows or OS X
17. Not intel's, which is all you need unless you're playing games (in which case fuck off) or making videos (in which case you should stick to windows or OS X anyway)
18. How does somebody else's OS affect me? Maybe if you didn't use shifty proprietary programs, there would be a port to whichever OS you want
19. Once again, redundant
20. Lmao
>>
>>55287995
21. Then don't use those distressed
22. Then don't use it on a desktop
23. Not anymore. Plus windows comes with Microsoft spyware.
24. Use a package manager, dumas
25. Don't care. Plus you can just dual boot if it really bothers you
26. Don't care. That's what you get for using proprietary software
27. See above
28. See above
29. Windows settings are not clear and easy to find. Case in point: show me how to disable telemetry
30. True
31. See the previous points about redundancy, vidya, and grasping at straws
32. He's you can
33. More easily than windows, unless ,of course, you're using proprietary drivers which can't be ported
34. Again, this is a problem with proprietary software, not Linux itself
35. Congratulations
36. True, but Android is Linux so...
37. literal FUD lies
38. Don't care
39. No
40. Wrong again
>>
>>55294315
>Then don't use those distressed
Distros*
>>
>>55287977
And Ubuntu's blank screen of death
>>
>>55288136
you mean one more?
>>
>>55287977
>gay
>gay
>sucks cock
Embrace your homosexuality already and find a cute bf.
>>
>>55287977
>No good webdev software
>i.e. Dreamweaver
Are you a fucking middle schooler? Christ.
Anyway, here's another (You).
>>
>>55287977
You must be at least 18 years old to post on this website.
>>
>>55287977
This is good bait, someone will fall for it... oh wait
>>
>>55288116
Holy shit what show is this from?
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.