[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gentoo vs. Arch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 9
File: cummies.jpg (7 KB, 340x148) Image search: [Google]
cummies.jpg
7 KB, 340x148
Which one is better and why?

>inb4 guaranteed replies
>inb4 this thread again
>>
>>55287573
gentoo

I use arch,and i just google any issue i have and learned nothing about linux
>>
>>55287573
Better is fairly subjective.

I use arch because it works out well for me and my applications. Since it works, I enjoy it, and it's completely open source, I have no reason to switch. I'm sure I could do the same with Gentoo, but I don't have a reason to
>>
>>55287573
neither
at the core they're both linux so they're both essentially the same
stop posting this thread every fucking day please
>>
>>55287573
Gentoo is amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python ruby gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads

Meanwhile, with Arch
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros
It's not the worst distro, but there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.
>>
>>55287611
>hur dur all Linux da same
>>
>>55287641
i'm sorry i'm not a NEET that has the free time to spend arguing with other people on the internet but for the rest of us who use Linux for work and convenience the tiny details of the underlying system don't matter
>>
>>55287573
Source-based is a meme.
>Spending 3 hours compiling to save 0.000001%
>>
both have no games
/thread
>>
>>55287689
Linux IS the underlying system...
>>
Arch Linux
>Systemd
>Software anarchy
>Driven by an immature community who thinks they are advanced users but they're actually intermediate at best
>ABS is alright but the AUR is garbage

Gentoo Linux
>Source based
>Respectable community
>Portage
>Amazing support
>Flexible
>Masking policy is awesome
>Professional

I picked Gentoo because it's one of the few source based distributions out there that fit my needs. I didn't actually plan on staying as long as I have because I was just going to go back to Debian or Red Hat eventually but Gentoo is fucking awesome. It's been over a year now and I can't even imagine going back to precompiled binaries.
>>
>>55287623
>aur full of broken packages
>most aur packages are just github.
your mom is too fat
your mom is too skinny.
>it's not the worst distro.
Right. It's the best distro.
>>
>>55287783
How often do you change compilation options that wouldn't be part of binaries in other distros?
>>
>>55287573
Gentoo if you are not a weeb ricer
>>
>>55287711
You're a meme because compiling from source is not just about performance
>>
Arch: pain in the ass to install.
Gentoo: pain in the ass period.
>>
>>55287623
Here, let me post my pasta
>>
>>55287799
Initially a lot because I'm very picky about how software is installed on my machine but after that not so much.
>>
There is not a fucking reason to spend half of my life compiling shit.
>>
>>55287689
I use Linux for college you blatantly ignorant faggot and yeah, I definitely prefer Gentoo over any other distribution.
>>
Reminder that if you are using Gentoo, you are either a casual Linux user or a NEET.

No employed person runs Gentoo exclusively, not even the creator of Gentoo. Because Gentoo is a timesink piece of shit.
>>
File: 1451551294526.jpg (101 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
1451551294526.jpg
101 KB, 392x500
>>55287824
>>
>>55287849
If you actually gave a shit about software then you wouldn't mind spending a few extra moments to compile from source.
>>
>>55287887
t. autistic NEET
>>
>>55287887
>few extra moments
>5 hours to compile X
>few
Fuck off
>>
>>55287861
yeah okay lol
i totally believe you're in college
you'd better go upstairs anon i think mom has dinner ready
>>
>>55287866
That's only because it's not an enterprise and down time can be of an issue. Most people just like user friendly operating systems. If I owned a business with a ton of servers then I would want to keep the software down to a bare minimum and so I would either use Ports for BSD or better yet Portage for Gentoo. Initial down time can be of a concern because time is money but downtime during routinely updates isn't of a big concern with Gentoo. Hopefully one day people will become more enlightened.
>>
File: tantrum.jpg (33 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
tantrum.jpg
33 KB, 600x399
>>55287905
>>55287912
B-But muh --USE flags
>>
>>55287927
Don't really give a shit what you think because I'm not the only developer who uses Gentoo. It's not as common as other distros but it sure as hell has it's benefits.
>>
>>55287905
>>55287912
>>55287942
That's your fault for compiling bloated software. Stop blaming Gentoo for YOUR mistakes and negligence.
>>
>>55287965
waiting an extra 5 hours to compile everything when the same exact thing can be accomplished in 5 seconds is not a benefit
>>
>>55287607
You obviously must be wrong, let me explain why you should use gentoo, that you learned nothing about linux (and that it isn't subjective), how the arch community is trash and the gentoo community is great (and defenitely never heard this before) in this copy-pasta post.

In non-sarcasm I tried gentoo but couldn't be bothered. I got that giddy feeling when I first installed arch and thought portage was neat (espically with system profiles) but I just prefer Arch at the end of the day (and still have the day left). All linux communities have shit people in them and I don't post in the arch forums so I don't know if most other arch users are worse. I did learn more about linux in general but saying that you learn nothing from arch is such a shit point I think people need to get a better point than the most subjective thing on earth. e.g. if I tried something like gentoo and not ubuntu first I would've learned less from arch.
>>
>>55287984
>i-it's your fault
>u-use another shit
Fuck off
>>
>>55287783
>Why Arch is good
>Not a hipster init system
>Blog
>Blog
>Blog

>Why Gentoo is good
>Placebo shit
>Hipster community
>Blog
>Blog
>Blog, a shitty one
>Blog
>Blog

Literal meme post
>>
>>55287573
gentoo can be used comfortably for server purposes, since it also handles selinux/hardened and various other security oriented things.

using arch on production server would be nearly impossible unless you'd separate your servers into docker containers or something.
>>
>>55288002
Compiling from source gives you more freedom on how software is installed on your machine. If it's not for you then don't give a shit and move on.
>>
>>55288060
Compiling from source is distro independant
>>
>>55287573
Gentoo, without a doubt

They at least try to be professional and consistent with their goals. Arch can be summed up as "i want to make a distro, but want to do as little actual work as possible". Is it keeping it simple? How? By keeping it simple for the dev. They're not going to patch any damn software so it works with eudev, goddamnit, even if systemd is a massive, poorly documented mess.

Arch: pacman was hard enough to write we're fucking DONE. it's, uh, minimal, because you have to run fdisk yourself! WE'RE COOL! WE KEEP IT SIMPLE THAT'S WHY OUR USERS ADDED A LUA INTERPRETER TO DWM.
Gentoo: Linux from scratch made easy. Combine with binhosts to easily create a binary distro with your own custom package repo and easily keep it up to date all with one program, optimizing software for a fleet of low power computers or applying custom patches to the software your enterprise uses across its systems, or just build your own custom system tailored to your exact needs.

>>55287942
Gentoo is very useless. That's why the NYSE uses and google used it as a base for chromeOS.
>>
>>55288033
Learn more pleb. Knowledge is power.
>>
>>55288068
Yeah, and Portage is a hell of a lot better for the job.
>>
CentOS/Redhat, Fedora if you're feeling adventurous

Don't install either weeaboo OS, you'll end up hating linux
>>
>>55288073
>Gentoo: Linux from scratch made easy
AHAHAHAHAHAA
No
>>
>>55288096
For the job?

I'd rather issue $packer -S mpc-qt and let it do it's job rather than haunting down everything manually.
>>
>>55288096
It's literally just an automation of ../configure make & sudo make install
>>
>>55288073
>chrome os uses nothing that makes gentoo great
>>
>>55287573
Neither. I used Gentoo and curently use Arch. Gentoo is fine and all , but it's one of those things where if you say anything critical, some autist is going to repeat over and over again, that it's the users fault. This comes from the fact that there are so many ways to configure it, these autists always have something to fall back on as to why it's your fault you didn't acheive some magical performance. If you don't get fancy with it, it'll run as well as anything else. Don't expect anything exceptional though.
Arch delivers what the developers claim, but aside from vanilla packaging, ABS, and AUR, and some other minor conviences, it's not all that special.
Use whatever you want. I'm sick of these threads.
>>
>>55287834
compiler flags can be tweaked in any distro.
>>
>>55288127
Just stop please because you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Try a little harder next time and do some research.
>>
>>55288129
The things that make gentoo great make it great as a tool for building a custom system

ChromeOS is the end result of using gentoo properly

>>55288106
Ahahaha, pretty close, nobody wants to go into detail in a shitposting thread
>>
>>55288142
the ABS and AUR look like a joke compared to a portage+a ports tree+a community overlay

the AUR especially, and its plethora of idiotic and half-broken "helpers"
>>
>>55288158
Gentoo offers more control and flexibility.
>>
>>55288242
Building LFS makes installing Gentoo look babby's play, don't delude yourself. Furthermore it takes way more time
>>
>>55288075
Enlighten me, anon.
What should i use instead of X?
>>
Gentoo may not be as common as other distributions like Ubuntu or RHEL but it's great.

>Good enough for Google
>Good enough for NASA

For some reason people think it's not good enough for them. People who think it's snake oil have never had a integrated experience with Gentoo tools like Portage
>>
>>55288142
>I'm sick of these threads.
Same here. They are like football fanatics. As if they are gaining something, as if they are the one who created these linux distros.(yeah i am pretty sure all of you wrote a perfect script for everyone to use) Just use whatever is suitable and fine to you. What is fucking you about other people's linux choice? Get a life idiots.
>>
>>55288242
i posted a shit answer and didn't research properly, apparently it does use portage so you are right

>>55288280
in my eyes it offers more consistency, it uses standard toolchains literally all of it can be customized evenly on all distros. it's just that use flags are less painful than configuring each makefile/cmakefile/etc by hand. i might be wrong though but that's what i know
>>
>>55288306
It's not about the install process. When are people going to get that?
>>
just use Ubuntu its the best Linux distro
>>
>>55288366
What's your point?
>>
>>55288269
OK, but:
>Use whatever you want. I'm sick of these threads.
>>
depends if you want to run systemd or not

if not then gentoo is the way to go

if yes then arch has good support for it

all just personal preferences, i thought freebsd was great and gentoo is similar and it went from there
>>
>>55288362
You're right but it's also about compatibility. If you've ever had conflicting issues with packages while configuring software then you might really enjoy what Gentoo has to offer.
>>
>>55288269
>community overlay
With no softwares. AUR has MUCH more WORKING softwares than your half assed community overlay, deal with it
>>
>>55288350
>>Good enough for Google
>>Good enough for NASA
Yes, but they have reason to go to the extreme. Filling your fat pie-hole full of tendies and shitposting on 4chan, are not mission-critical functions.
>>
Both are pretty good in my book. After all, they leave the GNU/ out of their names.
>>
>>55287573
Neither. Ubuntu all the way.

I just click next a bunch of times and then I'm free
>>
>>55288513
I'm sorry but what you mean is Arch GNU/Linux
>>
>>55288555
You mispelled New, son.
>>
Use whatever you want. I'm just sick of people who think Gentoo users are retards. It's not placebo and it's not only about optimizing. It's about having a flexible operating system that is guaranteed to fit almost any users needs. If you really don't care about that then whatever. Just don't act like you're better than a Gentoo user because he/she is more picky about what software they use and how it's installed and configured on their machine. Look into it. I really don't understand all of the hate against Gentoo. You might really enjoy it.
>>
>>55288456
And all of that is

A; In a better distro's official repos already
B; Fucking garbage like "lol, i3 with GAPS!" for retards too lazy to compile useless rice themselves
C; Software that has been fixed by a user because arch didn't want to fix it due to their irrational commitment to vanilla packages, while better distros only offer the fixed version

The AUR(gh) is great :^)
>>
>>55288642
You are just proving my point you mouth-breathing retard. AUR has made LOT more convenient than any distro. Ubuntu comes close but Gentoo is no where near. There are AUR packages like broadcom-patched grsec-zen kernel, one single command installs all patches for you. There are fuckton more exotic packages in the AUR than PPAs. Overlays is a babby when it comes to the number of repositories.

Bottom line: There is no reason to run Gentoo unless you want to be a hipster faggot
>>
>>55288712
made Arch*
>>
>>55288545
ubuntu is great as an introduction to the unix like operating environment. as ones learning experience continues curiosity inevitably gets the better of them and other things are tried.

for example, one day you'd like to encode a music library in high quality mp4, but alas the libav that comes with ubuntu doesn't have libfdk enabled.

realising that a vanilla ffmpeg install is required may lead to the discovery of debian-multimedia, and customising base installs rather than having the pre configured system set that contains applications that are never used.

after a while on debian, curiosity continues, you may become interested in having the latest version of certain applications, leading to the enabling of sid and the troubles it brings.

from there one may become interested in configuring their own kernel and customising the environment from a hardware level. this leads to environments with more complex install and operating stages.

so ultimately there is no right or wrong choice, we are all at different levels of experience and at different stages of our journeys.
>>
>>55288712
If you actually need that rare exotic preconfiguration you have little to lose by running the script to patch and compile it yourself

The vast majority of what the AUR offers is worthless or already part of other distros, to say nothing of how fucking shitty the pkgbuild system is compared to real ports
>>
>>55287573
Both are good
Arch you end up duckduckgoing all your issues though
With Gentoo you end up learning something
>>
>>55288760
What distro are you using?
>>
>>55288807
*tips fedora*
>>
>>55288751
Get the fuck out of here with your sane opinions.

THERE'S ONLY ROOM FOR ONE DISTRO IN THIS WORLD
>>
>>55288842
Fedora doesn't have my media player.

Go install this and report back
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mpc-qt-git/

>>55288868
Do you want to fit in so bad?
>>
>>55288880
The AUR is potentially dangerous. I don't know why people recommend that shit.
>>
>>55288880
All I've ever wanted is to fit in on 4chan.
>>
Gentoo is amazing if you have nothing better to do in your life than watching other people's software compiling.
>>
>>55288920
Not really, no. Read the pkgbuild.

Also, did just you try to change the topic?
>>
>>55288773
gentoo you !google you're questions.
Arch wiki you actually learn things.
>>
>>55288948
It's community driven. You have no idea if someone slipped in a backdoor or some other malicious code unless you read through the source code.
>>
>>55289004
Are you implying that the Arch wiki can't be used for other distributions? That's one of the few things I like about Arch Linux is the documentation.
>>
>>55287573
Objectively - Gentoo
Subjectively - Arch
I haven't tried Gentoo because I'm too scared/lazy/stupid, don't want to waste my time and I have a shitty laptop so I don't know if it's worth it.
Who knows, I might convert to Gentoo one day. But right now I'm sticking to Arch.
>>
>>55289039
The gentoo wiki is pretty good too.
Actually, this tread isn't even getting me mad.
>>
>>55289017
Look at the friggin URL's in the package build!
>>
>>55289060
Yeah, I really enjoy the Gentoo wiki but occasionally I have to make little wiki pages on the side because I'll see the same questions posted again and again in the Gentoo forum.
>>
>>55289017
Gentoo is community driven and, just like most of the Linux ecosystem.

Gentoo users do not read the source code and you don't use Gentoo either. Fedora is a garbage with no real desktop packages. There is a reason why people call it a beta tester distro.

So at this point you've indicated
>You don't even use Gentoo, since it's a useless timesink and no one seriously uses it as their main OS
>AUR has more packages. Your claim of AUR packages being included into the repos of other distros were proven false
>You just use fedora because it gives you a placebo feel of "maintained by a company" while the fedora uses rpmfusion

You can stop trying hereby and admit that Arch is a superior daily use OS.
>>
>>55289090
Yeah, I said "Potentially." I think the AUR was just a bad idea all together.
>>
>>55289110
I'm not that guy. I do use Gentoo. I just think the AUR is dumb. Arch Linux is Systemd and software anarchy.
>>
>>55289161
>Systemd
There is no better alternative, for a good reason
>Software anarchy
>>>/lit/
>>
>>55287573
Debian
>>
>>55289193
OpenRC is much better
>>
>>55288050

I've been using arch as a web/owncloud server for a while now.

I thought that I was crazy at the beginning but finally, I think that it was a good decision compared to Ubuntu (botnet) or CentOS (still on php5)
>>
>>55287573
Arch if you need to stay up to date fast.

Gentoo if you have to take the Driver Seat away from jeesus.
>>
>>55288034
>portage
>blog

haha. no. portage is objectively the best package manager there is.
>>
ITT: Opinions and assholes.
>>
>>55287753
this
anything else is autism
>>
>>55290013
>Calls everything other than gaymen autistic
>>
>>55289193
There's a reason Systemd isn't supported for a lot of security software.
>>
File: easterheadmemcards.jpg (198 KB, 640x1094) Image search: [Google]
easterheadmemcards.jpg
198 KB, 640x1094
>>55287573
ubuntu server
>>
File: Screenshot_20160627_153617.png (802 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160627_153617.png
802 KB, 1366x768
Im currently using Arch on my laptop since Gentoo took too long to compile and install stuff since hardware is shit. I wouldnt say one distro is better then the other though. Arch is alot easier to use though for a begginer. But Gentoo is going to give you a way better package manager and much more customization of core components such as the Kernel. Gentoo is prefered imo if you have good hardware and the time to configure it.
>>
>>55287927
t.Liberal arts major
You can't walk into a STEM class without meeting someone who runs Linux.
>>
>>55287573
arch is more niche, honestly it shouldn't be recommended for anything
>>
File: FnFgoLs.jpg (134 KB, 778x1018) Image search: [Google]
FnFgoLs.jpg
134 KB, 778x1018
>>55287573
>The very core of the software is not compiled
>Implying I have 6 hours to sink into watching a shell output compiling info
>Implying I'm gonna use any of the options

Is there a seriously convincing incentive to use an operating system that requires you to compile it? Like, can someone tell me of how that genuinely benefited them?
>>
>>55291103
To be fair, if all you want is a customized kernel, you can just install any distribution and just compile a kernel from your desktop environment while browsing and doing other shit. There's no reason to specifically choose Gentoo for that and have to go through doing it with a single-task shell.
>>
>>55292689
You can always try reading /thread ???

>The very core of the software is not compiled
You mean the kernel, Linux? Yeah, it's compiled.

>Is there a seriously convincing incentive to use an operating system that requires you to compile it? Like, can someone tell me of how that genuinely benefited them?

Compatibility
Control
Performance
>>
>>55293193
So why is everyone, as well as the instructions on how to install Gentoo I've read, talking about compiling the kernel?
>>
>>55288002
>five hours to compile
>I have never compiled anything from source in my life: the post

I have literally never had to wait five hours to compile anything on Gentoo. You're retarded.
>>
>>55293234
I think he means that it adds up.
>>
>>55288034
>Why I am retarded
>Blog
>Blog
>Blog
>Blog
>Blog

>Why I am not retarded
>I call people hipsters because they insulted my waifu distro
>I have autism but I don't think anybody notices it
>Blog
>I call posts memes because I don't agree with them

Literal meme post
>>
>>55287824
>someone compiles all of the ramblings of the most autistic gentoo users into a site and says that is a reason to not use gentoo

You see, the reason nobody has done that with Arch is that every post by an Arch user is like those posts so there is no need.
>>
>>55287783
>unironically shilling for systemv

Why do you hate performance and stability? Are computer problems what drives you through each day?
>>
>>55289193
>there is no better alternative
that's a funny way of saying "every alternative is a better alternative"
>>
>>55288382
His point is that your post is meaningless.

>you: "installing gentoo isnt hard"
>him: "nobody cares how hard it is"
>you: "what's ur point xddddd"
>>
>>55293296
When did he shill for sysv? He shilled against systemd.
>>
>>55293246
Ah, yes. Over a period of several years, I may spend five hours more than Arch users do. This is true.
>>
>>55293389
>I may spend five hours more than Arch users do
That's only assuming you sit there and stare at the screen as it compiles everything, something that a ARCH user would do, since they have no jobs and time means nothing to them.
>>
>>55293443
I HAVE TO WAIT FOR MPV TO UPDATE BEFORE I CAN WATCH MY WAIFUS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGHHHH -- phew. Back to my animeme.
>>
>>55293296
Sysv? I use OpenRC
>>
>>55288122
If you don't want more control then Portage is not for you. Move on.
>>
>>55288306
LFS is not hard, just tedious.
>>
>>55293226
A lot of distros have a 'plug n' play' kernel and so you usually don't have to edit the config and compile it. Some of the Gentoo kernel is plug n play by default but you still have to edit the config for your preference and hardware you use.
>>
>>55288122
When are you hunting things down manually in Gentoo? There is a package manager. You're retarded.
>>
>>55293530
This. I'm setting up an LFS on my new laptop rn and it just gets boring af. You definitely need to have something else to do while you wait for shit to happen.
>>
>>55293260
Nice projection faggot, read your own post
>>
Gentoo is for the insecure faggots that are just too dumb for LFS. If you are compiling from the source, might as well stop depending on baby scripts
>>
>>55293659
>the longer it takes the more 1337 I become
gentoo is not about prestige anon
>>
>>55293375
Okay so why shill against systems?
>>
>>55293833
*systemd
>>
>>55293833
>>55293844
Because it is shit
>>
>>55287573
gentoo
>>
>>55293941
>because we're paid ms shills that get chairs thrown at us whenever our bosses hear something else about how systemd has made gnu 5000x more powerful than windows has been or ever will be
>>
>>55293630
>the projection meme
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>55293941
I'm so sick of this.

Literally nobody who I've seen complain about systemd on /g/ has been able to provide real arguments.

You are just afraid of change.
You don't want to make minor adjustments to your system administration practices for the sake a magnitudes of extra speed and stability.

Just use FreeBSD like a caveman.
>>
>>55293966
We know it's you this time, Lennart. Nobody else comes on /g/ and pretends the only alternative to systemd is Windows.
>>
>>55293990
I know it's you, paid MS shills, because you're making absolutely zero sense yet again. Jesus fuck, at least get your boss to approve your shit posts first, you suck at your job.
>>
>>55287573
Neither. Debian trisquel or opensuse. Master race. Or centos or redhat if you are fedora enough.

Now fuck off
>>
>>55293987
I don't hate systemd, but I don't use it because it suffers from scope creep, isn't portable (on all my machines) and the devs are asshats to non-RH projects.
>>
>>55294079
>opensuse
I do not understand why people use openSUSE. Can someone explain it to me?

>redhat
Redhat is subscription-based. Someone who wants a RHEL-based distro for a desktop should go with Fedora.
>>
>>55293987
* Unix way (yes, I understand this is a philosophy thing)
The only thing systemd doesn't include at this point is Facebook messenger support so I hope that comes soon.

* Everything is part of the init system so a whole bunch of non-kernel upgrades require reboot, so it's basically Windows.

* Binary journals, because they are very easily corrupted.

* It favors desktop, so servers, the largest use for Linux, are sort of playing second fiddle (i.e., "as long as it doesn't break GNOME it isn't a problem")

* New programs are being made specifically to work with systemd now (and even worse, old ones are being changed to only work with systemd) so other Unix systems are becoming incompatible without using shitty unmaintained forks

* systemd is too complex to be counted on to work 100% of the time, and whenever it crashes, you get kernel panic because it's pid 1, leading to big issues

* you have all sorts of daemons running as root leading to ridiculous security holes

* etc but I'm afraid thread will archive or 404 before I finish if I go on
>>
>>55293987
>You are just afraid of change.
Then why would be switch from Systemd to something else?

Potential security flaws because the devs suck. It also claims to be just and init system but it's actually much more than that. It's so integrated into the system that it handles most programs instead of leaving it up to the user, not only that but it's had compatibility issues in the past. It's like shooting yourself in the foot. What's even worse is that it's so widely accepted in the Linux community that finding support without Systemd in some distros can be another issue. A lot of people move to Gentoo because they hate Systemd and don't want to use Systemv.
>>
>>55287583
nailed it

thats why i use arch
>>
>>55294145
You're forgetting shit developers who lie.

"We wont make udev just work with systemd"
"We're making udev just work with systemd so you better use systemd now Gentoo xddddd"

Thank fucking god for eudev
>>
>>55294173
You use Arch because you don't want to learn? lol
>>
Is there even a single reason to use Arch over Debian unstable?
>>
>>55294345
the "xddddd minimalism" meme
the "xddddd u cant even CLI" meme
the "xddddd u need ur instalr" meme

In other words, no.
>>
People just hate arch because of memes about the community and how updating will break everything. I think any GNU/linux OS can be used about the same and it comes to personal preferences.

Personally I prefer Arch to Gentoo.
Pros of Arch:
-pkgbuilds are probably easier to write/understand than ebuilds
-AUR
-better wiki
-binary based

Pros of Gentoo:
-Use flags
-No bloat
-source based
>>
>>55294145
1. I agree. That's why I don't use it
2. This isn't really true
3. Binary Journals with a text option that is recommended to enable and everyone knows about it. I personally have it use text.
4. Not true. Sysadmins are the ones who benefit mostly.
5. Not systemd's fault. Its bad design philosophy from other programs.
6. The opposite of true. Its much easier to work with.
7. This isn't true.
8. ok.
>>
>>55294380
Arch is literally the least customizable distro. It mostly uses vanilla programs with only a few versions of specific with different flags. That's why I couldn't use it.
>>
>>55294400
you can still build programs from source in Arch
>>
>>55294385
* Ok
* This isn't really true and the initial post was. If you have ever used systemd then you have had to update it, and whenever you update it you have to reboot. The solution to anything in a Unix-like system should never, ever be "reboot".
* You literally just said you didn't use systemd, and now you are saying you do. Good job, Lennart, you gave yourself away. Also, the only way to do that is to install one of the old logging programs and tell systemd's logging program to give its logs to that, meaning that the entire point of having systemd do all logging (a misguided one, I might add) is invalidated, plus you have one systemd daemon that exists for no other purpose than to encrypt logs to binary, immediately decrypt them back to plaintext, and give them to another program.
* Sysadmins for desktops, maybe? The systemd devs have literally closed bug reports with "not fixing" because the bug didn't affect desktop users.
* Yes, systemd's fault, because systemd devs are the devs that are now running those other projects.
* "Ease of working with" is entirely unrelated to what I was saying here and now I'm wondering if you read the post at all.
* You have all sorts of daemons running as root. This is fact. Therefore your "this isn't true" must apply to the "all sorts of security holes part"--but wait-- it can't, because running more stuff as root all over the place is the definition of a security hole. Nice!
* I disagree with this point on religious grounds.
>>
>>55294385
Some of those are definitely true, especially number 7. It's not supported by hardened sources because of it's potential security negligence.
>>
>>55294478
That kills the entire point of using Arch tho
>>55294385
But there's actually not really a way to do text logs in systemd . . .
>>
>>55287583
Why would you use Google instead of the Arch wiki?
>>
>>55294385
Denial seems to be /g/'s panacea.
>>
>>55294380
>you have both source-based and binary based as pros
my sides. this diplomacy
>>
>>55294385
>the proper way to prove someone wrong is just to say "that isn't true" over and over
>>
File: 1466565629750-g.jpg (38 KB, 450x495) Image search: [Google]
1466565629750-g.jpg
38 KB, 450x495
>>55294385
>You think it is a good think that everything is child to PID 1
>>
>>55287573
Debian
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.