[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
install gentoo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: Gentoo_Linux_logo_matte_svg.png (147 KB, 978x1024) Image search: [Google]
Gentoo_Linux_logo_matte_svg.png
147 KB, 978x1024
install gentoo
>>
>>55286669
save yourself and install CentOS, at least it'll work
>>
>dowload the live cd version
>make it persistent

ez pz
>>
File: INSTALL.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
INSTALL.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>>55286690
But CentOS is inferior.
>>
>>55286669
i already did, 12 years ago. i quit a few times due to build times of some more complex stuff, but hardware caught up.
>>
File: boss.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
boss.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
tfw after seeing "Install Gentoo" I did some research into it and "falling for the meme" was actually one of the best decisions of my entire life.
>>
>>55289247
what did you like about it? do you recommend others to install?
>>
>>55286669
I already did install gentoo. I have it on my main rig and on another comp on my network.
>>
>>55289286
Things I love about Gentoo
>Portage
>Community
>Flexibility

If you're really picky about what software you install and how it's configured on your system then I would definitely recommend Gentoo. It might not be as popular as other enterprise distributions but it can be customized to fit just about any users preferences without sacrificing support and dealing with compatibility issues. Portage makes compiling from source a breeze. A lot of people are intimidated by it because of compile times but unless you're using a toaster and compiling a lot of software then you're fine. My longest compile time was 30 minutes (Xorg-server + OpenBox + nouveau + intel1915 + synaptics + evdev + wifi) and that was during the initial setup, right after the installation. The install only took 45 minutes and that was with LVM and DM-Crypt. They also have some precompiled binaries and/or you can prepare binaries yourself. To me it's the perfect operating system.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.