[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me understand something. I have 2gb ram because I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 2016-06-27 01_33_41-Calculator.png (10 KB, 272x513) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-27 01_33_41-Calculator.png
10 KB, 272x513
Help me understand something.
I have 2gb ram because I'm a sad child, so every bit is important to me. Now, Windows says that I'm using 80% of my ram idling at the desktop with nothing open, which 80% should be around 1638mb used. However, if I add up all the ram used by every process using more than 1mb of ram, it comes out to 554mb, a far cry from the 1638mb 80% Windows says I'm using.
Anyways, my question is, is there anything that'll help me analyze where my memory has gone? Like give me a pie chart or some shit?
>>
>>55280885
You don't want to know goyim
>>
>what is a page file
>>
>>55280885
Unused ram is wasted ram. Learn how it works you faggot.
>>
Install gentoo.

Seriously though, Linux is way lighter on ram. In my arch install with gnome, it idles at ~1.2 gigs out of my 8.
>>
>>55280885
[meme]Delete Windows 10 at first.[/meme]
>Anyways, my question is, is there anything that'll help me analyze where my memory has gone? Like give me a pie chart or some shit?
IIRC Tasks Manager had shows RAM usage of processes.

>>55280974
>it idles at ~1.2 gigs
It looks like modern software is fatter and fatter.
Sadly, I'm not impressed.
>>
>>55280885
Windows caches system files into ram so that it loads faster. It is not unused. Read about the topic.
>>
Windows 98 is pretty light on ram and is a pretty decent os
>>
>>55280949
And RAM that's used on things you don't want it to is still wasted.
Why not just create a program that allocates all your free memory, just to make sure it isn't wasted if you really feel that way.
>>
>>55281231
you're not "really" using 80% of you ram, you should be using 554mb like you said, the rest is just cache that gets removed when you need it, theres no no significant performance loss in this
>>
You need to download a RAM cleaner and run it often.
>>
>>55281306
that doesn't make your computer faster unless your iq is bellow 60
>>
>>55280885
Install somekind of mini linux distro and enjoy the speed
>>
>>55281271
Could well be the case. I don't know where has OP seen that he's using 80%, I don't see percentages anywhere on Windows 7.

OP, just open resource monitor if it's still a thing in Windows 10 and you'll be able to see how much of memory is used, and how much is just cached memory that can be tossed away if needed (listed as standby).
>>
>>55280885
I can never understand why anyone with a sane mind and bright blue panties would want their RAM sitting idle.
I want to see the RAM working 100%, even if it's just buffering reads and writes.
It's not like it's going to wear out.
Yet almost daily some idiot wants to minimise his RAM usage. It's like were back at "640k is enough for anyone" again.
>>
>>55281735
because I'm fuckin OUT OF RAM MAN I'm on 2GB and my computer is constantly choking because of it and if I have 1gb missing (I have disk caching turned OFF) I REALLY NEED to figure out where it's gone
>>
>>55281825
>I'm on 2GB and my computer is constantly choking
2Gig? Can a PC run on 2Gig?
Apparently not.
Cash in the empties under the back verandah and buy yourself 8Gig then get back to us.
>>
>>55280885
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229

/g/ is retarded as always, you probably have a driver with a memory leak or some retarded Windows service running in the background hogging your RAM. Windows shouldn't use more than 500-600 megabytes on a cold boot on idle, even with Superfetch enabled.
>>
File: windows calc.png (17 KB, 322x577) Image search: [Google]
windows calc.png
17 KB, 322x577
Help me understand something.
Why the fuck does this even exist?
>>
>>55282198
Can't read those moonrunes, m8.
>>
>>55282210
It's asking how you like the app and if you would like to go to the Store to give an evaluation.
It pops up every week or so.
>>
>>55280885
> what is kernel memory
>>
>>55280939
>>55280949
>>55282640
>the answer to OPs question stated in a derogatory manner to make the poster feel better about themselves
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.