[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a compE and EE. I am also teaching myself how to program
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2
File: imgres.jpg (5 KB, 176x162) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
5 KB, 176x162
I am a compE and EE. I am also teaching myself how to program and server maint/admin. I hope to be proficient in 2-4 years.

I have decided against the Thinkpad because Lenovo's Chinese backstabbery in installing spyware and rootkits in their consumer devices.

So that puts me in the Dell camp. I am thinking of either a Dell Latitude or Dell Precision. It's a 500gram difference.

The Precision would allow me to replace parts and upgrade at will. It is also more powerful than the Latitude by default.

I plan to do some graphics work on either my micro or mini ATX PC, or on the Precision if I decide for that.

The uni has computers and scanners for the 3d printing machines they have. I haven't taken the training course but I presume they also have comps that can do 3-d modeling and all that.

I am not sure if the Latitude is powerful enough for CAD whereas the Precision by default.

Still, I will mostly be doing programming and compiling. I will mostly be doing C/C++, Java, HTML, XML, CSS, Javascript, Ajax, FORTRAN, PASCAL, LISP, Scheme, ADA, C, C++, PHP, JavaScript, Perl, Prolog, FORTH, and vertex editing, 2 and 3-d modeling, etc

Will a Latitude be capable of this or should I gab a Precision?

tl;dr: Latitude or Precision for programming and CAD? Precision is also upgradable right whereas Latitude is not, right?
>>
>>55272429
Get the Precision. Latitude is just a cucked version of the same thing.
>>
>>55272429
>Lenovo's Chinese backstabbery in installing spyware and rootkits in their consumer devices.
source?
>>
>>55272635
http://www.cnet.com/news/superfish-torments-lenovo-owners-with-more-than-adware/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfish

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2887392/lenovo-hit-with-lawsuit-over-superfish-snafu.html

>but anyone can post lies on the internet!
This is from Lenovo's own website
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish_uninstall

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish
>>
>>55272429
Ex Dell employee here: Both are upgradeable with regards to CPU/RAM/HDD. Some Precision models have an upgradeable video card, but I would imagine newer models will be going away from this.

If you are doing any kind of CAD, you want a Precision as they have ISV certified drivers: http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/drivers-and-downloads/dell-certified-drivers-for-dell-precision-workstations

Case in point, I have a M4800 with an i7, 32G of RAM, a 2GB video card and 2-1TB drives.
>>
>>55272694
And I believe this was the second time they were caught doing this; or maybe the first and then they did it again.

Never trust someone whose eyes you cannot see. Damn squinty Chinese,

>>55272602
Yeah that's what I figured. Precision is what I;ll get and it can be upgraded as I find parts on sale. So win-win.
>>
>>55272775
Fuck off shill
>>
>>55272791
Lol, how am I a shill if I am an ex-employee and OP asked for a specific recommendation?

Lick my balls, douche canoe.
>>
>>55272775
Awesome thanks man. I think I'll get the 7710.

In your opinion, should I bother getting a mini-ITX gaming computer then if I have the Precision as I imagine the 7710 will be more powerful than what I can fit in that tiny case.

I'm just not sure how powerful I can make a mini-ITX as I do not want a giant tower heating up my small room anymore. My guess it'll be enough for gaming but not for CAD.

Again thanks man. You helped me a lot. I think I only need a precision then for everything I want to do.

Bonus Question: Is there a better tablet on the market besides Samsung's Galaxy Tab? I am also trying to upgrade my phone and it seems the Galaxy S7 Edge is what I'll get.
>>
>>55272602
>>55272786

Precision = mobile workstation
Latitude = general purpose laptop

>>55272901
don't waste your money on a mobile workstation
>>
>>55272901
Ex Dell Employee again: If you upgrade the parts, make sure you keep the originals. You shouldn't for a Precision, but if you have to send it in for service, put the original stuff back in. I worked in an escalation department and heard a few horror stories about laptops getting sent into the service depot and coming back with the original configuration.
>>
>>55273023
>buy an expensive laptop
>too poor to afford the onsite service
>>
>>55272957
Somewhat true. If you don't do much CAD, but ISV drivers work a lot better if you do a lot or large CAD work. Plus, being able to add 32GB vs. 16 in a Latitude is better. Hell, I think the 7710 can do 64GB these days.
>>
>>55273042
No shit dude. A Precision comes standard with onsite, however it can still get sent into the depot under certain circumstances. If you call in and are Dell certified, you can actually get a parts-only warranty.
>>
>>55272957
Can you explain what exactly is wrong with a mobile workstation? If it can accomplish coding, gaming, and 2/3-d modeling, then that is everything I need.

Or I can separate the gaming aspect by building a mini-ITX and then get a Latitude, I just don't know if the Latitude is capable of compiling a large load and modelling.

The expenses should be about even.

BTW I'll probably be using these laptops for the next 2-3 years.

I am also getting a tablet to carry around when I don't need a heavy laptop in my backpack. So I am not too concerned about mobility.
>>
>>55273070
Precision: More memory, bigger video card, ISV drivers, better cooling/case airflow

Latitude: Cheaper and lighter, but would probably do light CAD just fine.
>>
>>55273053

So what is the cheapest Precision that I can upgrade to match or surpass the most expensive Precision on the Dell website.

15inch or 17 inch but I am leaning towards the 17inch in glorious 4k display.

BTW thank you for posting. I hate the shitposters that kill threads when I am looking for a direct answer,
>>
>>55273068
Wish I had that option, my M4800's keyboard connector was broken by a tech

>>55273070
They are absolutely shit value, and Lenovo often comes out cheaper as you can easily get the EPP discount. Not sure if Dell will price match that aggressively (30% off list price). HP are even more fucking expensive

There is also no difference in upgradability.

If you can't do it with a 45W quad core in a Latitude you'll be wanting something more powerful anyway.
>>
>>55273135
Ex Dell guy: So I looked it up, the 7710 has an upgradeable video card.

Personally, I'd start off with a good processor and a Nvidia video card. Upgrade the memory and drive(s) as you can.

If cost is the primary concern, you could start with an i7 quad and an AMD Firepro.

Personally, when I upgrade from the M4800 sometime next year, it will probably be this: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m7710-workstation/pd?oc=xctomp771017us_3&model_id=precision-m7710-workstation
>>
>>55273248
And yet a $220 RX 480 will shit all over it

By the time you source a Dell MXM GPU and a new heat sink assembly you're running in to hundreds of dollars
>>
>>55273248
>upgradeable video card.
Upgradeable to what, exactly? Last I checked, MXM video cards weren't very common in the aftermarket.
>>
>>55273271
Sure, put that in a laptop. lol

By the time he's ready to upgrade, they'll be all over eBay or you can get it from Dell's spare parts department.
>>
>>55273341
Precisions usually have an AMD and Nvidia video card option. Sometimes, several models between the 2.
>>
>>55273144
I just can't trust Lenovo and don't want to give them my money. I'd rather have a Dell.

This will be my work laptop that will probably sit on my desk. I'll remote access to it with my tablet when I am in class. I want it portable in case I need to bring the laptop to class.

I plan on getting a second cheaper laptop to put debian or openbsd on, and renting a server cluster. This will be m secure privacy laptop. I still have no decided which to get, but it may be another Dell probably an Inspiron.

But I am debating whether to get a 2-in-1 laptop, but I think I will go against that as I do not want to link my secure privacy laptop with my work laptop that has my name all over it.

Though I could get a 2-in-1 laptop to take notes in class, and then still buy a second laptop for my privacy needs and to run my servers.

I have been out of the loop for a few years now, so all this touch screen shit is new to me. Now stylus writing is actually useful for notetaking, No more LATEX. When I had the Note 3, the stylus was useless then I played with a Note 5 and it was great.

Maybe instead of 2-in-1 laptop or tablet or S7 edge, I just get a note 5.

I think that is what I'll do.

So anons if my new setup is a Note 5, Precision, and Inspiron, what do you think?

So it'd be note 5 as a portable tablet for notes and replaces the cell phone, Precision workstation for progamming and CAD and gaming, and one more laptop for linux/bsd for my servers.
>>
>>55273369
So you just want him to go back and forth between several video cards that perform nearly identically as a pretend upgrade path?
>>
>>55273369
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdell+m6800+gpu.TRS0&_nkw=dell+m6800+gpu&_sacat=0

How much money do you like throwing away?

>>55273388
Mini-ITX is the way to go, doesn't sound like you'll be moving your laptop much anyway
>>
>>55273405
So you think I should get a Latitude and mini-ITX. But won't be powerful enough to do CAD, and i intend to take full advantage of my uni's 3d printers to make random shit. But I am also doing design for website, magazine and newspaper (online and printed).

Okay so I have a lot to think about on this.

Do you guys think the Note 5 is a suitable replacement for a S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab?
>>
>>55273490
You'd be surprised how much power you can stuff into a mini-ITX machine.
>>
>>55273388
>dell
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN300321
>>
>>55273490
Dell guy: That poster is not wrong, you can put high end components in a mini-itx. The flip side of that is it's not portable.

Basically, you need to decide if you want to run CAD portably. If so, get the Precision.
>>
>>55273515
I am trying to keep my budget at 3k or less with my technology upgrades. A lot has changed since I got sick and left the community.

I am going to ask a few questions that will help me finally decide:

Can a mini-ITX be powerful enough not only for gaming but for graphics editing and CAD?

Can the Galaxy Note 5 phablet be a replacement for a phone and tablet (I was thinking Galaxy Tab and S7 Edge)?

I want a laptop that is secure and private and provides as much anonymity as possible. It will be used to run my rented Russian server cluster, I may do "extra-legal" things on this laptop, so i need it secure. I know security depends on opsec and what you install and I have a list. I am just wondering if there were a special laptop to use. Since it is going to be running the servers in Russia, it needs some power behind it so I am leaning towards an Inspirion or even a Latitude for this.

Last question:: for extra security, I want the equivalent of burner phones. Are there any very cheap laptops I can buy and discard when needed? They'd only be accessing the internet. I'd get a chromebook but Google tracks everything.
>>
>>55273628
Interesting thanks.

So I could soup up a mini-ITX capable of gaming and CAD then. Get a Latitude as a regular day-to-day work laptop. Then get a Note 5 or (S7 Edge + Galaxy Tab).

I do like how the Precision has a better cooling system. I imagine I won't need to do CAD on the go, except for study groups where we meet in the library.

I think if a mini-ITX can do CAD, then I'll get a Latitude.
>>
>>55272429
Is this some sort of clever bait? Because everybody is taking OP seriously.
>>
>>55273628
Hey dell guy, got a quick question for you

I just searched ebay for precisions, and found that they are in good supply. However, I just don't have the cash right now to front one.

In your opinion, are the new precisions losing build quality?
I have noticed that for whatever reason, all these newer laptops from nearly every manufacturer are so shit and flimsy. I am afraid that if I don't buy a precision now, I may be stuck with a less sturdy and durable one later on.
>>
>>55273751
No. I am OP. I am just stupid and haven't been in the tech community for 3-4 years because of illnesses.

I want to game. I don't want a giant computer heating up the room and taking up a of space in my small apt room.

I need a laptop for programming.

I will be using SolidWorks, Matlab, etc.

I am also buying a graphics pad and stylus to do some graphics editing. This is a hobby of mine but is very important. I wrote out why last night, but my friends and I are trying to counter ISIS propaganda with equally well-designed magazine, pamphlets, newspaper, media in general. Their visual effects are great despite the atrocious content. We want to counter that and hopefully convince the uneducated youth that they are savages not soldiers of a caliphate.

The second laptop I need has to be as secure and private as possible. It is what I will use to run the servers in Russia that our media is held on. It is also what my friends in Syria will upload to. Security is paramount. We know people who were assassinated in Turkey for writing against ISIS.

I also need a new phone. I was thinking of the S7 Edge.
I also want a tablet to carry around for note[-taking when I don't need a laptop.
Then I remembered thee Note 5 which could combine phone and tablet.

So the combination of devices I am looking at are: Precision, Latitude, Galaxy Tab, S7 Edge, Note 5, and any secure laptop for what I said above.

I also would like to know if there is an equivalent of a burner laptop like a burner phone. All it would need to do is connect to the internet. Chromebooks are out as Google tracks everything.

One of my goals with all of this is to take back my metadata. I am not a product to sell. I will stop using Google. I will set up my own email server in Russia. Debian, OpenSBD, or Security Enhanced Linux are all options for my main OS. I'll only use Windows for class and for games.
>>
>>55273904
A $200 GPU is more powerful than the one in the 7710.

Also
>getting away from Google
>using their mobile OS

you're just being straight up retarded
>>
>>55274117
There are Roms, there is Security Enhanced Android, and there is Replicant. And obviously, the phone will in no way be tied to my secure laptop and servers or burner laptops.

Could you please stop shitposting in my thread? I was getting great help here.
>>
>>55274247
>There are Roms, there is Security Enhanced Android, and there is Replicant

and yet 10 seconds of searching will reveal that none of them work on the devices you want to buy

it's not even the fucking os you need to be worried about, it's the baseband modem firmware
>>
get the same stuff rms uses
>>
>>55274284
I have not decided on the phone. Note 5 was just a thought I had to combine phone and tablet to save cost. Samsung S7 Edge is also an option.
I really do not care about Google tracking my phone. This will be my day to day phone.

For security I will buy burners. Or I may even get a Blackphone 2 or something.

In general I want to reclaim my data from these corporations, but I am only concerned with the security and privacy of the servers and the laptop I use to access it.

Servers will most likely run Debian and OpenSBD or NetSBD on the access points. So if it attacked, there is another layer to get through. I will of course get AppArmor and every security upgrade I can. I'll DL the penetration distros to find weaknesses. After probably 6 months of hard work, I will have the servers ready for my friends to upload to.
>>
>>55273816
No, Precisions are built like tanks. Latitudes are pretty solid. Cheap Inspirons are flimsy.
>>
>>55274587
Okay thank you.

I am making a second consideration now. I may save all I can from my job and buy both a Precision and a Latitude. Precision for day to day use and Latitude to control my servers.
>>
I've always had Dell desktops.My first was a piece of shit 2005-era Dimension 4600.2.4GHz of pure fury,512MB RAM and in 2013 I got my hands on a 2009 Optiplex GX620.Both are built strong,the Opti weighs 30 pounds thanks to the steel frame.Gotta love ex-business machines,$80 for a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 now with 8 GB RAM.Dells just seem to last,the old Dimension had nothing wrong with it at all.Just was too slow,and nothing more than that.I've only put $50 into the new one,for a sound card and a new wireless card.
>>
>I have decided against the Thinkpad because Lenovo's Chinese backstabbery in installing spyware and rootkits in their consumer devices.

> So that puts me in the Dell camp.

lol. If you're going to reference reports from the hopeless tech media, you should do it thoroughly.

Dell not only gives it's equipment the ability to intercept TLS/SSL connections, but it also requests updates over non-encrypted connections altogether. Like those flaws found in Lenovo's machines, the flaws in Dell's were patched.

I would hope you're also locking down your BSD install, and careful about the websites you visit (if you're using Linux or Windows it hardly matters what you do, as your system is available to anyone who wants access at anytime).

Anyway, i don't follow the "If i can't buy a business laptop from Lenovo, well then it's got to be Dell" train of thought.

You do know the business laptop market is bigger than two manufacturers, yeah? You do know there's a whole other market, too, yeah? (Mil, Aerospace, multiple Dev industries)
>>
>>55274887
>3.4GHz Pentium 4 now with 8 GB RAM

Can you go to your file manager and --

Computer > right click > Properties

...for me? Just curious.
>>
>>55274954
Meant 8GB system RAM.Windows XP capped it at 3.5,then upgraded to a pirated copy of 7 Pro.
>>
Okay I am making a final decision now. I thank you all for your input. I am going to put off buying the most expensive until the end of the year or the beginning of the next.

I am getting a Latitude, a micro-ITX that I will make powerful enough for gaming and SolidWorksm\, and a Note 5 (I raelly wanted the 7 Edge, but now I don;t need a tablet).
For my "recreational activities I will use burer phones and laptops".

Though, maybe with TAILS, I can just use my Latitude to do my recreational spending. Phone will be burners as that is easier and cheaper than buying used laptops.
>>
>>55275027

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but it's likely that that GX620's board limits you to 4GB.
>>
>>55275059
Yeah,it does.I go by what's installed,but then again having access to a stash of old PC parts made it less of a stress than having to buy parts.
>>
>decided against the Thinkpad because Lenovo's Chinese backstabbery
>hope to be come proficient in C/C++, Java, HTML, XML, CSS, Javascript, Ajax, FORTRAN, PASCAL, LISP, Scheme, ADA, C, C++, PHP, JavaScript, Perl, Prolog, FORTH, and vertex editing, 2 and 3-d modeling, etc IN 2-4 yrs. sounds legit.
>gayman with gaymur concerns
>Anon is fighting ISIS from a wacom
>S7 Edge/Note 5 && Replicant
>Chromebooks are out as Google tracks everything

turk bait/10
>>
Okay so I can build a Mini-XTI more powerful than the Latitude for cheaper.

So I am willing to decrease the amount I spend on the Latitude. Instead of the most expensive 7000 series, I am wiling to look at others and spend the extra cash on the Mini-XTI. I will also be getting a Note 5.

In your guys' opinion (I hope Dell guy is here)
which Latitude is enough for note taking, programming and compiling, and light Solidworks. I will do most if not all CAD on the mini-XTI.

Thanks guys. This is the last question I have.
>>
>>55272429
>I am a compE and EE
>saving thumbnail
>>
>>55276252
Sorry, was watching GoT. Maybe the E5470 with an i5?

For portability, it's hard to beat the E72x0 series. I had a 7240 for a worl and loved it.
>>
File: latitude14.jpg (124 KB, 1296x959) Image search: [Google]
latitude14.jpg
124 KB, 1296x959
get this latitude 14 e7470
>i7-6650u processor up to 3,4ghz
>iris pro 540 graphics
>1440p glass ips screen
>16gb 2133hmz ddr4 ram
>256gb nvme ssd
>wireless, bluetooth as well as lte broadband
>long life cycle battery
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.