[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Studying robotics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: owiroboticarmedgewide.jpg (47 KB, 787x645) Image search: [Google]
owiroboticarmedgewide.jpg
47 KB, 787x645
I'm considering going to university studying robotics. Is this stupid, as there are so few jobs available? Should I rather study something like CS/EE/MechEng?
>>
If you live in the USA then there really aren't any B.S.R. degrees (bachelor of science robotics). I'm sure there might be some exceptions.

In the USA, if you are interested in robotics then you get a degree in EE or ME and attend a school that does research in that area. Random example:

http://www.robotics.gatech.edu/

If you are not in the USA then I don't know what to tellyou.

Good luck.
>>
>>55267860
Just study CS, you can always become a robotics software engineer later.
>>
>>55267860
Just finished my first year of Robotics at Plymouth UK, the field is like a mixture of Electronics, Programming and Engineering. You're right there aren't many pure Robotics jobs going atm, but the skills you'll learn will allow you to take many other types of jobs as well.

So if you like programming, electronics, engineering and maybe even neural networks then It's a great choice, but if you only like one then do that instead.
>>
>>55267860
Look at the university you're going to and compare the classes individually. People tend to take a too high level approach when asking these types of questions and fail to realize that they'll be going to specific classes weekly as a result which they may or may not enjoy
>>
>>55267860
>robotics
you will designing designing mills and escalators for the rest of your life. (and maybe elevators if you're really lucky)

Lathes doesn't count because school won't teach you differential geometry
>>
I've got my honors is Mechatronic Engineering, which can be seen as a combo of mechanical and electrical, but it's the closes thing to a robotics degree where I live.
So far the jobs I've had ended up being in the Automation industry, first for a brewery and now for a certain car manufacturing company.. A lot of PLC programming and robot programming/teaching. Not much actual robot design though... That's very hard to come by.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.