[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming Interviews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: ctic.png (158 KB, 664x349) Image search: [Google]
ctic.png
158 KB, 664x349
How good are you guys at programming interviews? I feel like no matter how much I study I get tripped up on everything even though I've written a lot of software.

Why are only programming interviews like this? I don't know any other engineering discipline that has to deal with this sort of stuff

I'm so bad at software interviews in general that I'm even looking at a career change. Its like with every other discipline if you are looking for a job you can apply and take a day off for the interview

But with software you need to (depending on you) spend week or months preparing for interviews, especially with the bigger SV companies. There are even lessons and courses dedicated JUST to passing them.

What the fuck is that even about? It seems wrong. And the cynic in me thinks that they (the bigger companies) are making software interviews involve tons of prep time and effort to make it harder for existing CS or SEs to easily interview at other places.

Where's the hackerrank for electrical engineers? Where's the leetcode for aeros or mechies? The geeksforgeeks for chem and sci majors? The CTCI for automotive engs?
>>
Still have to have my first CS interview. Hope it's not as hard as you make it out to be
>>
>>55260972
Because you still copy code from rapidtables and you're unable to fizzbuzz
>>
>>55260972
> Thinking /g/ still a tech forum and not an annex of /v/

Not that hard just practice and say it with confidence.
>>
>>55261275
I have no idea what rapidtables is and I can fizzbuzz, I write plenty of code.

But if you read the questions in the CTCI (book picture I posted) I don't think you can equate fizz buzz to that. Its a completely different level of questions. imo the former does not require any 'prep' if you are any kind of developer, maybe 5 minutes if you are 100% SQLguy or something.

But being good at the kind of questions in the CTCI consistently? Man that requires a lot of practice for most people, at least a couple of weeks.
>>
>Where's the hackerrank for electrical engineers? Where's the leetcode for aeros or mechies? The geeksforgeeks for chem and sci majors? The CTCI for automotive engs?

They have certifications or something. Any idiot can call themselves a "Software Engineer". That's the problem.

So the solution they came up with are these algorithm lottery interviews.

They don't make sense to me because there are times when you can just get question because you already solved something similar before. You look like a genius but it doesn't prove you can do the job.
>>
>>55261645
How many procedural, OO, and Functional programming languages do you know?
>>
studying for my interview with a big 4 for next week right now.
2 year experience, they reached out to me. not sure how I'll do. but I have a job so I won't be screwed
>>
>>55262802
On linkedin? What did you put there? I need to make a linkedin but too paranoid.
>>
>>55262921
you're right, it was linkedin actually
I keep my profile concise. experience, school, skills, projects

this was just before the microsoft buyout, now I have to rethink if I really want microsoft owning that info
>>
>>55262967
k thanks.

i am still paranoid. i know id get hits if i made one
>>
>>55263138
you definitely would, I get a few emails every week. maybe 1-2 good ones every 2 weeks.

I ignore all the talent recruiter agency crap ones
>>
>>55263159
ill give it a try for a few weeks. had a steady job since gradation for the past 3+ years. interested in new recruiters.
>>
>>55263177
same, I've had the same job since graduating for the last 2 years. I'm not too interested in leaving and wasn't looking, but since they came to me and I never interviewed with a big 4 before (shitty gpa), I thought why not try for fun.
>>
its because there are so many qualified applicants. if there are over 100 people fighting for one position, the employer can ask for all kinds of shit and most of them will bend over backwards to accommodate, they'll just see who bends backwards the most without snapping and hire that guy.
>>
>>55260972

this sounds like nerves and a lack of confidence rather than anything else.
>>
>>55263200
thanks. good luck!
>>
>>55263286
thank you anon, I'll need it.
gl with your stuff as well
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.