[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need help in deciding how to modernize my electronic equipment.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Debian.png (26 KB, 300x224) Image search: [Google]
Debian.png
26 KB, 300x224
I need help in deciding how to modernize my electronic equipment. I am obsessed now with the privacy of my data and reclaiming information. I do not want to be the product Google or Facebook sells. With that said, I still need productivity and I am forced to use Windows for uni.

I am thinking of two options for my main setup:
A Dell Latitude and a mini-tower PC (desk in my apartment is small). The PC would mainly be used for cryptocurrency mining and gaming and graphics editing in picture and video for an "e-zine" and preparing writings for print overseas. Latitude would be what I would carry every day.

For 500 grams more though, I could get a Dell Precision. Is it true I can replace parts on the Precision as I find them on sale therefore no longer needing a PC? I could use it for everything I listed above.

Besides Tails, Whonix, and Qubes, what is the most secure but still functional Unix-like or Linux OS? I am looking into Debian, but I admit my experience is only with babby Ubuntu.

I am also going to upgrade to probably the Samsung 7 Edge and get a Galaxy Tab tablet. If you have a suggestion for better or more secure of either, I'd love to hear it. I cannot find a better specced table than the Galaxy Tab. Tablet would be for in class notes and as a light-weight carry when I don't need to haul along the laptop that day.

I am also thinking of the freedompop or Blackphone 2 phone instead of Samsung Edge 7. Burner phones too of course.

I am doing a dangerous thing by being the point source of collecting evidence of ISIS atrocities. I also want to produce a rival to ISIS' Dabiq and Ameq media.ISIS propaganda has to be countered,

So this post is about technology: Galaxy Tab for tablet, Galaxy S7 Edge or freedompop or Blackphone2, Dell Latitude + mini-PC or Dell Precision only? Also what graphics pad/stylus would be good for media editing?

Can I put the cluster in a storage unit? Or is renting from Amazon or another company better or does it violate opsec?
>>
I am thinking of building a sever cluster and renting a private storage unit that has AC. I'll use a generator as well so the electricity bill will not alert management

i know I can rent servers from Amazon or other companies, but I am weary of that.. I am sure there are bitcoin accepting companies so I can be anonymous, but everything would have to be encrypted.

But I think I need to encrypt the server as a whole, then isolate each file and encrypt it, so hopefully if the server is compromised, then each file will also be encrypted.

Any books I should read? Opsec, encryption, server building, etc

This is literally life and death situation. I do not want my brave friends assassinated.

If I can successfully complete this to counter ISIS propaganda and protect precious evidence for future trials, then my next goal will be to challenge the smuggling and selling of ancient Roman, Nabeatan, etc artifacts. That is not Syrian history that is human history.
>>
Additionally, what coding language is best for server mangement of a large database of files?

Apache Cassandra, Oracle, or MySQL?

I wish it were easier to know where to start. I can learn the languages easily enough. Logic is my forte. But there are so many options and the differences are not clear.

I am mostly looking at popularity of each language then assuming the more popular it is, the better the language. Not a very good way to gauge the utility of each language.
>>
>>55259308
Summerize in short and concise points
>>
>>55259593
autism
>>
mints not bad, security wise.
if you know what you are doing.

encrypt your hard drive and home folder.
install truecrypt. encrypt more stuff.
use cryptostorm for vpn.

email me, op.

i can answer some of your questions directly.

[email protected]
>>
>>55259308
>>55259368
>>55259417
please learn the discreet art of stfu/tl;dr
>>
>>55259308
If you want absolute security and privacy, you have to browse the interwebs via wget through Tor and your smartphone can't have a SIM card let alone proprietary software. Renting servers is not an option.

So basically you're fucked.
>>
>>55259593
>>55259687
Or learn to read a sentence and comprehend it, then repeat on the following sentence until you reach the end of a paragraph. I forgot how childish some people on this site are. Why post?

I thank those with knowledge and the willingness to share.

I will summarize:

Dell Latitude or Precision? I want to game, so mini-PC or souped up Precision?

Is Debian a secure anonymous OS for both laptop and servers?

Samsung Edge 7 with appropriate apps or Freedompop phone or Blackphone 2? Security and Privacy are main concern.

Is Galaxy Tab the best on the market? WIll primarily use it to take notes mins programming classes.

What is a good graphics tablet + stylus for graphics editing? Suggestion on a printer? Inkjet, then I may need one able to print out magazine paper or newspaper; I haven't decided.

Buy storage unit for servers or rent from Amazon or a bitcoin accepting company? It must be secure and private or people could die.

Also. is there a version of Amazon's EC2 or is that something special they only have? It'd save me money.

What is best database coding language.

Thanks.
>>
>>55260086
Interesting thank you. I may have to bite the bullet and sacrifice my anonymity, because I am safe in the US. The people sending me files and articles and videos have to be protected as they are on the battlefields. I am willing to put my name out there. We cannot be cowards and not document their atrocities just because of the threat of assassination. In the US I am safe, When I go back, I will hire protection.

Thanks Anon, I;ll do my best to keep them safe, but I'll let them know my name. Martyrdom is our greatest honor.
>>
>>55260398
Oh and is Open/FreeBSD better for servers and laptops than Debian?
>>
>>55259308
>>55259368
>>55259417
nobody looks twice at an encrypted thinkpad

sounds like all you need is a secure laptop and some truecrypt volumes on USB drives
>>
>>55261552

I'd prefer Veracrypt since Truecrypt has been discontinued last time I checked.

I prefer Latitude or Precision because of Lenovo's habit of putting spyware and rootkits on consumer devices. I know none were found on the Thinkpads, and I really want one, but I don;t trust the Chinese,

The server is intending to hold an email service, a website, a magazine and newspaper, and evidence of crimes against humanity ISIS has comitted alongside the best we can do the investigate the money trail and weapon shipments from the Gulf monarchies.

That last one I will probably keep in encrypted USB drives and buried in a Faraday box.

I just don't know how to go about having my people in Syria send me sensitive documents encrypted? I don't trust the email service on the server to be 100% secure. Right now they are smuggling them to Turkey and sending them to me on regular e-mail, which is dangerous. I am trying hard to protect them and myself, which is why I am so concerned with total control over the entire process to ensure security and privacy. I may have to put my name out there to do this to get the required equipment, but to save their lives by keeping them anonymous is the goal.

So, how can data and files videos pictures documents be sent to me securely? I thought uploading to a server where I'd give them a website to go to, to enter a password I would change every other day and where I could hopefully secure it enough that they can only upload. If one is captured and forced to reveal the password to the server upload site, I need to make sure it won;t matter.

The most precious fils will be in cold storage or on mutiple USB sticks in multiple places.

I know this is too advanced for me, but I am trying. Some people we know were assassinated in Turkey for writing against ISIS.
>>
Making your shitposts longer doesn't make them any more amusing, mate.
>>
>>55262051
Talking technology on a tech board, lets make a post and cry about it. >>55262051
Damn autists >>55262051
shitposting here. Too dumb to read a few sentences.
>>
Okay I am going to sleep. I thank the non-shitposters for their help.

I decided to use Replicant on my phone with the appropriate apps.

For my secure laptop, I will use Whonix, Qubes, and Tails.

For my regular laptop, I will use Debian or Linux Mint and dal boot Windows 10

For the severs: I will use OpenBSD for the access points (firewall, vpn etc) along with its upgrades all on top of Debian or Security-Enhanced Linux, I am undecided and will need to learn much more to understand the difference,

Kali and Pentoo will be used to try to penetrate my server

I will try to rent either Icelandic or Russian server cluster than build my own. seems cheaper.

I'd like to find a Linx or SBD variant of Amazon's EC2, but I can't find one.

The last question I have is whether to use Debian or Security-Enhanced Linux? I feel as though if the feds use it, it must be decent. But government is always slow to embrace the modern new and better tech, So what do I do?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.