[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where is my diamond age? Where is molecular manufacturing? Where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Diamond%20Age.jpg (461 KB, 943x1500) Image search: [Google]
Diamond%20Age.jpg
461 KB, 943x1500
Where is my diamond age?
Where is molecular manufacturing?
Where are diamond supertowers?
Where are vacuum dirigibles?
Where are interactive textbooks that contain a billion core supercomputer that immerses the child in the learning experience via clever narratives?
Where is molecular engineering CAD software?
Where are nanotechnology engineers?

...but I have my smartphone with facebook and whatsapp and whatever. All bits, zero atoms. Humanity failed at material progress. "Engines of Creation" were 30 years ago.
>>
>>55252592
>the next century
You already posted the answer, you're just salty you were born too early.
>>
File: AcetyleneDeposition.gif (376 KB, 316x302) Image search: [Google]
AcetyleneDeposition.gif
376 KB, 316x302
>>55252681
I believe we could have much more progress in molecular manufacturing now if the funding weren't derailed into chemistry in 2000s.

I also note that the meaning of "technology" changed over time and come to mean "Computers and software". Sadly there is little progress outside these two areas, and even computing hardware progress experiences a slowdown. The moore's law is officially dead now.
>>
>vacuum dirigibles
Well, that's a stupid idea.
>>
>>55252748
If you can manufacture diamondoid structures cheaply (remember that air has significant fraction of CO2, and C can be extracted from it), vacuum dirigibles aren't such a stupid idea.

There is even some research on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_airship
>>
>>55252778
Nope, still a stupid idea. Why have a giant fuckoff balloon getting in the way when you can just use a nice, compact engine?
>>
>>55252801
Because airships are safer, cheaper (energy-wise), don't pollute the environment and neo-victorians aren't in a hurry anyway.

There are some contemporary airship companies that aim to provide logistic services.
>>
>>55252840
You're a rose-tinted moron.
>>
File: eric_drexler_young.jpg (23 KB, 354x385) Image search: [Google]
eric_drexler_young.jpg
23 KB, 354x385
>tfw politicians betrayed him and chemists exiled him to britain
>>
>>55252877
http://www.supplychainbrain.com/content/industry-verticals/food-beverage/single-article-page/article/a-new-generation-of-airships-for-cargo-transport-1/
>>
>>55252895
>Barry Prentice, professor of supply chain management at the University of Manitoba, believes that airships will play a key role in the movement of cargo in the years ahead.
wow
very convinced
many weight
much wise
wow
>>
Fuck that. Give me functional immortality first, and then we can talk about self-assembling nanomachines.
>>
>>55252972
"Nanomachines" are a meme
Micromachines constructed from nanoscale parts - sure.

Immortality mostly requires molecular nanotechnology, it's a necessary step to achieve it (the other step being reverse engineering human molecular biology and designing micro-machines to fix our cells).

It is not necessary step in case we will have AGI developed earlier.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.