[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to get low latency when using virtualization?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: fl12full_1.jpg (238 KB, 1455x817) Image search: [Google]
fl12full_1.jpg
238 KB, 1455x817
Is it possible to get low latency when using virtualization? I want to use FL studio, but wine doesn't work all that great. Using Bitwig Studio right now, but it doesn't hold s candle to FL Studios piano roll. Would something like qemu help me with low latency? I don't know too much about virtualization.
>>
>>55251937
I never tried Bitwig, but if its piano roll and midi functionality is like the one in Ableton, then I had the same issue when I first switched to Live from FL, and got used to it in no time.

In the beginning I thought Ableton was just inferior, but then I realized that it actually has the same functionalities and more, but it works differently, since you manipulate midi data with midi devices (which are basically midi effects you place before your instruments) instead of inside the piano roll itself.
It's a different kind of workflow and I used both in my first months, but now that I got used to it, I just use Ableton's and never even open FL.

I imagine Bitwig is not different (or even superior, due to its superior native modulation capabilities).
>>
No it's not possible. If you're not running natively you'll get delay guaranteed. Even natively some daws run up to 5ms
>>
>>55251937
You could try longene
>>
>>55252286
Bitwig is the new kid on the block. Just need to get used to it. The UI is beautiful though.
>>
Damn bitwig looks nice. I'd do my production on linux but I've never gotten my pirated vsts working on wine
>>
>>55253686
I use Bitwig on Linux. Use vst bridge for the vsts.
>>
>>55251937
Are you using ASIO4ALL?
>>
>>55252505
Not necessarily true. If I run Pro Tools in a virtual machine and use the USB passthrough for my audio interface the latency is exactly the same as what I'd get on the host OS.
>>
>>55254128
Not OP, but i prefer FL Studio Asio because it allows you to use other applications with sounds simultaneously.
>>
Just use Windows, you fucking autist.
>>
>>55253485
any way to get it working without it damaging the packaging system on Ubuntu, I tried installing it using the dpkg method, not sure if that's the issue
>>
>>55257244
I Installed the deb file with gdebi, and had no problems with it. The newest version 1.3.10 might have some problems when closing out of the application if you are using alsa, but no problems with jack.
>>
>>55255127
I prefer to use one os, and I prefer gnu+loonis.
>>
>>55254975
>FL studio
>Shit sound quality rendering between wav & mp3 files while waiting 15 minutes long.
>using Fl studio vst default plugins
I'm fine with Ableton thanks.
>>
>>55251937
Holy shit I never thought the day would come that I would give Linux advice on /g/....

Okay fagget, listen up.

Your best bet is to run a kernel based hypervisor VM. I suggest QEMU-KVM.

You need a processor that supports either Intel VT-d or AMD svm (IOMMU for both).

You also need a motherboard that supports I/O passthrough (IOMMU and virtualization). You can pass through dedicated sound hardware via PCI-STUB or VFIO using device ids.

Then, you must run a kernel with PREEMPTIVE_FULL or whatever (full real time) and 1000 hz with only IDLE_TICS_DYN enabled or whatever the fucking kernel value is in kernel config to enable idle dynamic tics ONLY. DO NOT USE FULL DYNAMIC KERNEL.

Use a script to dedicate the VM to specific cores. Use ISOLCPUS in grub command line to isolate cores for the VM.

/g/ IS NOT YOUR MANPAGE.

I POINTED YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

NOW GTFO.
>>
>>55261346
Thanks exactly what I needed. Just someone to point me in the right direction. Hope you have a nice day.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.