[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you guys Hackinoshing yet? >UNIX >Compatible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: hackintosh-logo-big.jpg (255 KB, 1600x1548) Image search: [Google]
hackintosh-logo-big.jpg
255 KB, 1600x1548
Why aren't you guys Hackinoshing yet?

>UNIX
>Compatible with your favorite software
>No hardware with a ridiculous hardware
>Easy to setup on modern hardware
>>
>>55251547
>UNIX
No.

Also because unsupported shit is annoying to deal with. I don't want to run into an issue and only be able to HOPE to find some broken English solution on tonymacx86 or whatever.
>>
>>55251547
>Easy to setup on modern hardware

That's wrong. There is so much to fuck up. I would do it but it really takes time to set everything up. Even worse than ArchLinux.
>>
>>55251565
It took me hald a day to setup everything and it has been working flawlessly for over 6 months with 2 .x updates already.
>>
>>55251565
I actually installed arch as a backup when I thought my hackintosh video driver was never going to work correctly.
>>
>>55251547
>no udev
>no systemd
>no cpupower
>no nothing
>jon snow

Thanks, but no thanks
>>
>>55251564
Yes. Literally, officially UNIX.
>>
>>55251547
>easy to setup
yeah its easy as gentoo stage1
fucking nothing works properly
>>
How's Sierra compatibility?
>>
I was running a hackintosh until I booted up one morning and my main monitor had fucked colors and shit font rendering.

Switched to Windows 10 and I've had nothing to complain about so far.
>>
>>55251547
but i do
mavericks best version
>>
>>55251626
That's a certification, it isn't based on any Unix like, say, IRIX. It's BSD.
>>
>>55252077
>airport terminal
Kek

I dig that even though it's stupid.
>>
>>55252192
BSD is literally a version of Unix
>>55252201
same, even though 99% of the time i'm just using picrelated
>>
>>55252077
What am I even looking at?
>>
>>55252270
>BSD is literally a version of Unix
FreeBSD, upon which NeXT and OS X are built, are not, though.
>>
>>55251547
Linux does all of that.
>>
>>55252350
Minus that whole "usability" thing.
>>
>>55252366
I can use it so what's the problem?
>>
>>55252366
Works better than OS X ever did for me.
Hows that close button working for you?
>>
>>55252388
cmd + Q works every time :^)
>>
>>55251547
No skylake support.
>>
>>55252374
I can drive to work in a shitty old battered Ford too, but given the choice I'd take the Mercedes any day.

>>55252388
RAM exists to be used. Name one situation where pseudo closing can cause a problem.
>>
>>55252408
>RAM exists to be used
Linux uses almost all your ram at any time anyway mate.
>>
>>55252077
Everything in this picture (excluding zsh) is cancer
>>
>>55252423
I don't think that's true.
>>
>>55252332
originally NExTSTEP was built on BSD 4.2 (Unix code still there)
so there is a chance that there are some unix bits even though most of userspace stuff is pulled from bsd
>>55252311
Cathode terminal emulator
>>
>>55252433
It does. It caches data from your hard drive for quicker access, that ram is always still available for applications though.
>>
>>55252458
Doesn't use all your RAM though dickwad. Buffers are written back to disk when they aren't referenced anymore.
>>
>>55251547
>installing a closed-source OS that you downloaded from the web on to your computer
you're literally asking to be part of a botnet
>>
>>55252477
It takes a majority though.
Anyway, my point was, that it makes the system faster, without keeping processes running in the background at all times, which makes it better than just minimizing apps on close.
>>
>>55252435
It's got nothing to do with BSD heritage. OS X is UNIX by the definition of UNIX as it has been since the early 1990s.
It could have been written from scratch. The history is irrelevant. If it conforms to SUS then it's UNIX™
The fact that it descends from the original BSD UNIX is just a bonus.
>>
>>55252493
>It takes a majority though.

No it doesn't.

>>55252493
>.Anyway, my point was, that it makes the system faster, without keeping processes running in the background at all times, which makes it better than just minimizing apps on close.

Which is wrong, because when the process is killed and (if) the RAM buffer for the data relating to the process has no more references, the buffer is sent to disk and needs to be loaded again when the application is loaded. Why don't you educate yourself before posting?
>>
>>55251547
no pci-e passthrough.
>>
>>55252559
this is literally the only thing i dislike about os x
t. hackintosh user
>>
If my wireless card was supported, I'd do it in a heartbeat for fun tbqh
>>
I've been using a Hackintosh recently.

The only problem is that OSX is too perfect. There's nothing to fucking fix. The lack of shit I have to mess around with (because it's already perfectly implemented) is making me bored.
>>
thinking about it for my upcoming dual cpu build but all i see is people bitching about problems with the same setup i want to run (asus z10pe-d8 ws and a pair of 8 or 10 core xeons)

would be really fucking nice to run that OS on something with actual balls though
>>
>>55251547
Because I'm using a real Mac
>>
>>55251613
>no systemd
That's a good thing, anon
>>
Not building a Hackintosh until AMD APU/CPU/GPUs are supported; that is GLORIOUS I AM ZEN, POLARIS, and, VEGA on Macs.
>>
File: condescending-quotes-7.jpg (48 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
condescending-quotes-7.jpg
48 KB, 850x400
>>55251547
>UNIX
Why not just buy a mac instead? How poor are you?
>>
I am though.
>>
>>55252430
there are only 3 things in picture
>>
>>55251594
Congrats on your 1/1,000,000 win in the supported hardware lotto.
>>
>>55251547
>Why aren't you guys Hackinoshing yet?
Because I tried it and it sucked. Laggy as hell and I already have a broken iMac that I could fix but have zero incentive to do so.
>>
>>55251565
This. I tried to get it to work properly but I just gave up.
>>
>>55254076
Nah I had to manually patch some DSDT file. But honestly any Skymeme or Haswell laptop without Intel Wireless should be pretty compatible.
>>
>>55252403

Are you retarded?
>>
>>55251547
What CHEAP laptop can I Hackintosh as a stand-in for my Macbook when traveling to shit countries where everyone steals?
>>
I tried and works well but i need a STABLE operating system so if clover breaks and you don't have a usb stick with the installation you're fucked clover breaks a lot and without reason
>>
I'd rather use GNU/Linux then use a hacked together mac.
>>
Before I bought my first Mac (G4 iBook) way back in the day I remember running OSX (Panther maybe) in a PPC emulator (PearPC?) to check it out. I was impressed enough that I bought the Mac, and have owed nothing but a long and pricy string of Apple laptops since.
>>
>>55254847
don't change it and it won't break
i've been using same clover configuration for past 2 years
>>
>>55254111
give it to me
>>
A few issues.

My current build is an i5 4460, 16gb of RAM and the r9 280x

-Boot time is quite slower, even on SSD
-Big updates (yosemite to capitan, capitan to sierra most likely) can fuck you up good
-Anything, and I mean -anything- that's a little bit intensive, mostly games, runs worse than the same ports on linux (mainly because without vsync it's extremely fucking wonky)
-Very little customization

That said?

I loved the system. I was pretty used to it. I just wish microsoft died and they gave the throne to them. Also I feel no more secure than on Windows.
>>
File: 1440303462318.jpg (232 KB, 1500x1120) Image search: [Google]
1440303462318.jpg
232 KB, 1500x1120
>>55251547
>Why aren't you eating shit from your hands?
>>
>>55252559
While I would love this, it would cause me to use integrated intel 4600 hd graphics. And those were real fucking sluggish on hackintosh. I don't know what's wrong there but it's almost as if (not really, because I checked) acceleration was turned off or something.
>>
>>55255187
>Also I feel no more secure than on Windows.
You mean from the spying or?
>>
>>55252559
This is a SERIOUS oversight on Apple's part, what the fuck.
>>
Because my laptop's audio and wifi are unsupported
>>
>>55255296
I mean any exploits or ransomware or shit like that. I was really really close to be one of those people who took it in the ass with transmission.

But yeah I kinda dislike that my favorite software is available in OSX but its performance is unbearable. I love playing doom frequently and gzdoom runs like crap on it.
>>
>>55251613
>no systemd
Good. launchd is far superior.
>>
I can't seem to get iMessage/Messages working on mine. It's super frustrating. Running 10.8.5 and can't upgrade further because the MyHack dev stopped working and I haven't done enough research on other methods or whether the kexts are ported.
>>
>>55251547

I don't have a need for a toddler OS on my computer.
>>
>>55255372
>toddler OS
nice meme
>>
>>55255406
>apel
nice meme
>>
>>55255352
You won't be able to keep it working without a valid serial number anyway.
>>

What is this "yet" bullshit you speak of, son? I was using OSx86 on a Dell Inspiron 4150 Pentium 4 laptop in 2005, you kids just don't have a fucking clue how far we've come to get to this point.

Nowadays it's easier to run OSX in a damned VM and less troublesome, performance is just fine for most anything - and since gaming on OSX is a waste of time well, you figure it out.
>>
>>55257819
>since gaming on OSX is a waste of time
Steam has more titles on OS X than Linux.
>>
>>55257485
works without serial number on my machine
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.