[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm currently away for work in basically the middle of no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
I'm currently away for work in basically the middle of no where, I found a USB to install Arch onto a notebook I was given that 'doesnt work'. Unfortunately that usb is only 500mb capacity.

The arch ISO is 744mb however so it aint going to cut it, are there any more minimal ISOs for Arch? The net install says it requires ethernet and this device only has wifi.

I'm only interested in Arch because it's what I'm used to, am I going to have to use some other small distribution instead?
Any advice?
>>
>>55248308
never installed arch before but wtf
>744MB

what do they have loaded on it? debian isos are only 300MB
>>
>>55248328
Debian isos are only 300mb?
I might have to go that route if there isnt a solution.

>What do they have loaded on it
I gather its the same iso for both 32 and 64bit so its double the size because of that? Idk really man thats what I gleemed from the forums while I was googling it, I'd never taken note of the size before so I was just as surprised as you that it was so large.
>>
>>55248336
do they have live environments?
>>
>>55248358
only the installation environment, I haven't installed debian before, only full gui installers + ubuntu with its live CD so I can't compare for other 'lightweight' installers.

So to err on the safe side, I'd say no it doesn't, but im not 100% if the way arch is installed counts as a live environment.
>>
TinyCore, if youve got internet, or DamnSmallLinux

TinyCore really is some neato shit
>>
>>55248613
much appreciated mate, ill check them out
>>
>>55248620
I will warn you m8, tinycore is VERY bare bones but its definitely worth checking out. Theres this whole idea of the "pristine boot environment" that I dont really understand but I think its meant for you to install all the packages after you've booted. Its wierd but it works and has v fast boot times.
>>
Give Alpine Linux a go.
>>
>>55248308
Architect should be around 400MBs
>>
>>55248308
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
50mb
>>
>>55248308
Just do a network install
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.