[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am having to learn Java in school for my degree. I am interested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1461890718EbookBundle.png (31 KB, 495x328) Image search: [Google]
1461890718EbookBundle.png
31 KB, 495x328
I am having to learn Java in school for my degree.

I am interested in learning to program in genera.

With Java being the first programming language I learn, what should the second be?

I am thinking Python or Go.
>>
You have very little reason to learn Python after Java. I'd suggest Ruby instead.
>>
>>55247703
Runy on Rails then?

Thanks.
>>
>>55247712
Rails is a web application that uses Ruby. You'd learn the latter first and then integrate it with other web code to practice Rails.
>>
>>55247668
I suggest you learn based on paradigms, my second choice would be C so you learn about manual memory management, structures and stuff like that (in other words, non-object oriented).

After that, learn a Functional one (since you already know Java, Scala might be a good choice).

After that, depending on what you want to with your career, choose the one that fits better to that. That is: javascript/python/ruby if web developer, python/R/Matlab if you data science/machine learning, haskell/clojure/erlang if you crazy, etc.
>>
>>55247760
How long would you say it would take to learn each individual language to be average/mediocre but knowledgeable in it?

I am thinking now I'll be do data managetement.

I do have MatLab experience. So I guess I will learn C then Python then R and SQL.

If it helps anyone my degrees will be Electrical Eng and COmputer Eng, then I am going to Germany to get a Masters in Systems and Signals and hopefully finish my Chemical Engineering degree I was so close to finishing before being expelled from the only school in the area that teaches it.

So I am hoping by age 27 to have 3 Eng degrees and a Masters in EE.

I mght learn Ruby or Javascript as a hobby after I learn the data management languages and R and Python then.

So Java --> C---> R/Python--->SQL

And it gets easier once you start to learn the "logic" of programming. I wish I was a humanities major and logic has been one of my best fields. I hope it carries over.
>>
>>55247668
May I suggest you find a project you want to do, and let that decide your language. You'll get much better immersion and feel the languages limitations (intentional or unintentional) if you get something fun and meaty to do with it.

The languages to avoid: Ruby because its unnecessary in general and completely useless for large projects. C because you are interesting in programming, not hardware (C++ is awesome though).

Python and Go are both excellent. Python for smaller projects, Go for larger.
>>
>>55247838
Okay thanks.

So, as a project. I'd like to integrate every file on Dropbpx, Google Drive, OneDrive, and other cloud services onto a server I am building out of an old desktop. My main focus is privacy of my Data.. I am starting to use DuckDuckGo for everything. I am switching to Debian and Kali Linux.

I basically want to place every file I have onto a server and be able to access it from a single laptop. Anonymity and Privacy are what I want.

I am assuming SQL is needed for the data management, Python for the front-end?

Probably too large a project for me to tackle until the new few years, but I can start leaning today the basics of what I want rather than waiting to learn each language in it's entirety.

Actually, from what I just read, GO's memory management is more secure, so replace Python with GO.
>>
>>55247935
Oh and I'd like a private but secure mail service that I run, so I need Apache, maybe? I could use one of the tor ones or some other one that is touted as private, but I want to reclaim my data and info.

I don't want to be the product Google sells anymore and right now almost everything I use is from Google.
>>
>>55247760
C++ is really strictly better than C. Yes, he should avoid inheritence and the worst of OOP, but the 11/14/17 standards of C++ are amazing and are the real future of near-the-metal languages. Memory fences, move semantics, and of course the STL. If C had an STL (or an SL, I guess) there could be some argument, but without it... bleh.
>>
>>55247954
Well, I've written drive exports in python, it holds up well for that kind of scripting and google has a good python api for it. SQL is a good thing to know but actually a really hard language to specify a filesystem in because folders are recursive and SQL recursion isn't very good. A graph database or a simple KV store would both be easier and more likely what you'd find in a production system. Python frontend would be good, I don't know if you intend this to be a site or some userspace file system. That's a harder one to Guess The Right Language. That's definitely an interesting project.
>>
Are there any good books to read for data management? Apache, SQL, Oracle, etc

I'd like to learn the fewest languages possible that cover the bases. If I learn Go, then that pretty much replaces Python, etc. No reason to learn them both I am reading.

As I said before, I am building a server cluster starting with my old XPS desktop, then eventually more and more.I want to put all my files on it from these different cloud services, and set up my own secure email server from there, and then only be able to access it from only one laptop.

I am sick of Microsoft and Google having all my information and data. I am wanting to do away with all their products. Instead of Windows, I am going to be using Debian alongside Kali Linux and Tails, Qubes, and Whonix for true privacy. I know that's overkill and I know the difference between amnesiac Tails and Whonix.

I don't know what to do about my phone. Currently I use Cyanagen mod. I am thinking of the Black Phone 2 or freedompop's phone alongside burners.

So basically I want security and anonymity alongside strong opsec.

I can tell you why, and I wrote out why, but decided against it. First, my future career will be harmed. Second, I am writing against ISIS and as I am in the US, I am safe, but some of my fiends and correspondents are on the battlefields or in Turkey or Lebanon and they will be in danger. I am trying to teach them operational security, but I also need them to be able to continue on if they are assassinated. Going against the monarchies in the Arabian Gulf is dangerous especially when their mercenaries are next door to my country.

And I am strongly against the NSA.

If I were to offload some of this work, where would I be able to find help? I do not trust myself to do a secure job. Kali Linux is all I know of penetration testing. Is there a website where I can hire programmers that are not third world Indians/Chinese who will do an awful job?
>>
>>55248362
Don't know about the later stuff. Stanford has some good free online courses for data management. Fuck up ISIS good, anon.
>>
go is a fad
>>
Sorry for the bump, but can anyone answer my last questions?

I am the main writer on theological and political subjects and editor-in-chief, but my associates on the ground giving the details and contributing to articles and providing real-time updates is what worries me the most. I have taught them all the opsec lessons I could learn in the darknet subreddit. How to constantly switch phones, take out the sim and battery when not in use, put laptop and phone in a faraday cage bag, bury it and any papers in case your house is raided, have a bug-out-bag, and to only use end to end encrypted sofware and PGP. I also advised them to keep a normal phone to call their family on so if police or militia goes through it, they will not see anything political. Never carry a gun. End up at the wrong checkpoint and they see a gun, you'll be executed. I also told them to learn the basic differences in each school of Islam to be able to blend in when passing through rebel checkpoints. Pray wrong and you die.

So my two main concerns are: Professionalizing out little e-zine to rival ISIS' e-zine in design and appeal as well as videos. No one denies ISIS has one of the best team of media workers working for them.

So alongside my questions about building a secure server that they can upload to but only I can access, which languages I need to learn, etc

Are there any more opsec tips I could learn? Books, etc. Press passes do not mean anything in the Hell that is Syria.

tldr: What languages cover the basics. I know lots share similar features, so if I learn the hard one or the original first, then the others in that school should come early. I am also in need of reading material in server cluster building, securing it, and which language would be best? Apache, SQL, Oracle, etc?

OPSEC tips for journalists in a civil war?
>>
>>55248520
Thanks man.

And sorry guys, I didn't see the new posts while writing the bump. I figured I was buried in the backpages.

And any tips on popularizing it? Right now we write primarily in English and Arabic soon Turkish too. I am thinking of trying to hire a French-Arab translator for French as a lot of Jihadis come from France. Same thing with Russia and the Caucus mountains. Djerja is also top of my list. I am hoping if we can get an audience in the countries where the terrorists are coming from, some will realize what they are intending to do is wrong. When they're exposed o modern propaganda that ISIS uses, and they are so uneducated, I hope giving a second view will make them think over what they are doing when preparing to travel to Syria..

But anyways, none of this is tech talk.

Would it be possible to run a clandestine server cluster in an air conditioned storage unit with 24 hour electricity and a generator so the management won;t become suspicious when they see the electricity bill? Or will hiring out the serves be better
>>
Javascript would allow me to create a website that can be full of artistic elements and flash? I suppose I will need to learn PHP and HTML5 (I know a little HTML) for this.

I have a lot to learn for everything I want to do. I am going to have to hire people. Again, is there a legitimate website with American or European developers where I can hire people? I do not trust Indian or Chinese programmers to do a satisfactory job when security is my number 1 concern. I do not want the "Caliphate" Electronic Army to be able to break in and steal various documents. Some of these are very precious and will be used in trials, sent to AI, and possibly the UN.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.