[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am trying to tranfer data from a laptop to my desktop. The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10
File: DeveloperImage.png (832 KB, 1000x707) Image search: [Google]
DeveloperImage.png
832 KB, 1000x707
I am trying to tranfer data from a laptop to my desktop. The laptop is locked down pretty good, so anything copied to external media is encrypted. Network traffic is monitored, so I can't upload it somewhere or email it without risk.

My initial ideas:

Idea 1

>Zip up data and convert archive to base64
>Write base64 string to text file
>Record a video of the base64 being paged through
>Extract frames from video every 2 seconds
>Use OCR program to convert the stillframes to text
>Combine text files and convert the base64 back into binary

I have been trying Tesseract and my luck is hit/miss. I know this can be done, but getting a 100% confidence seems very difficult. Is there an optimal font for Tesseract or OCR in general? I tried an OCR-A rip-off font from Sourcefourge, but I get a higher confidence with Arial or Courier New.

Idea 2

>Transfer the data from my work pc to home pc via analog audio carrier signal

This prompted someone to mention amodem which sounded really cool. If I could just hook up an audio cable from my laptop's headphone jack to my PC's line in, I could get a crystal-clear analog signal.

My initial post got some really good ideas from anons:

>amodem

>qr codes

This idea was really cool. I'd encode my binaries to base64 and then convert that to multiple QR codes, each of which I could display on the laptop and scan with my cell phone to post bits of base64 to my website. Sadly, max URL lengths are 2000 or so characters and I don't even think a QR code can hold that much to begin with.

>DNS tunneling

While articles everywhere mention how this is nearly impossible to detect, there is still risk, so I do not want to try it.

I am getting desperate by the day here. Do any anon brains have any other ideas? Remember, I cannot use...

>network (LAN, WiFi, etc)
>external storage (ie, anything that plugs into the laptop)
>internet (can't upload to an FTP, GitHub, email, etc)

Please help. Thanks /g/
>>
Why can't you just take out the hard drive of the laptop
>>
File: 1378263268722.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1378263268722.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
>>55245803
It's most likely encrypted as well. I suppose it's worth a shot as I get closer to the date by which I need this information.
>>
Encrypted traffic?
>>
File: 1388672781156.jpg (871 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1388672781156.jpg
871 KB, 1920x1080
>>55245853
>Encrypted traffic

wat

I said monitored traffic. I could drop this data off on my private FTP or email it to myself with Gmail, but I don't want to take the chance.
>>
lol, ok. What the fuck is wrong with you? I don't understand why you can't decrypt the data when it's on an external?
>>
Give it back Jamal.
>>
>>55245533
bring a router and some lan cables and set up a new, personal LAN network
>>
gb2China
>>
>>55245878
As in encrypt the traffic faggot. Send encrypted TCP data to your sever
>>
>>55245533
Just public/private key encrypt the Base64 then email it? Why not that?
>>
>>55246448
nvm didn't read it all i'm retarded

like the analog sound idea though.
>>
>>55245533
are keyboard strokes being monitored? are text/password fields values being saved/monitored? is video/screencast on?
if not then cypher the archive using des or some shit and send it off, even if they get their hands on the data it will be meaningless without the key
>why so hard?
>>
>>55246435
Yeah, I could do that, but I may as well just encrypt a ZIP file and email it to me, no? I am trying to avoid detection by sending conspicuous data over the network. I could also be excessively paranoid, but surely such monitoring methods exists to protect the most confidential data. I am sure if it were just as easy as encrypting it yourself and TCP'ing it to a private server then everyone would be doing it.

>>55246506
See previous response above to another anon. Trying to avoid network activity. Even if they were to get a hold of an encrypted volume or whatever and not be able to do anything with it, it would still be too conspicuous for them to just be all like, "oh, it's encrypted. probably nothing then"
>>
>>55245533
tesseract is pretty much a pile of shit. the main factor is the size of the text. if you don't have a time limit you could instead of capturing pages of data at a time, display a smaller set of data. you could display single characters at a time, as long as your recording was fast enough / had enough frames to capture each letter. the problem then becomes repeated characters, i.e. two or more of the same char being repeated and differentiating that they are two seperate characters and not just one. but if if character was displayed for for arguments sake .5 of a second, and figure things out from there.
>>
How much data are we talking about? Depending on how much there is, there are different methods you can use.

You could try plugging in a short range bluetooth dongle and attempting to pull the data onto your phone and then move it to your desktop later. For really small amounts of data you could buy a USB NFC tag writer and a bunch of NFC tags from ali-express (they're like 30 cents a pop if you buy in bulk).

Also why not just disconnect both computers from the network and use a crossover cable to connect them together directly? Seems like the easiest way to do it really. They're not going to see the network traffic if you're not on the network. When you're done, set all your shit up properly again, then tug on ethernet cable in the PC until it gets damaged and you lose the connection. Call up IT and start bitching about losing connectivity and demand someone come fix it. This way if someone sees you were off the network for a while, there's a legitimate excuse.
>>
steganography is always a choice.

even if things get encrypted when you're transfering them off the laptop then you can hide them in plain sight.

cat data.zip >> image.jpeg

does it matter that they'd know you moved some images or pdfs or whatever the fuck off the laptop?
>>
External DVD burner perhaps?
>>
File: 1386502765047.jpg (179 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1386502765047.jpg
179 KB, 1600x1200
>>55246575
>you could display single characters at a time

The resulting base64 string is 340kb, so, if my calculations are correct, it would take over 47 hours decode at one character at a time

>>55246630
>>55246630
>How much data are we talking about

See prev response. Just heard of NFC tags and it seems like they're similar to QR codes. Doesn't appear they can hold much data. Still, you have to install the software on the machine anyway. I want to avoid that, too, especially due to strict corporate policy about unauthorized third party software.

>>55246630
>They're not going to see the network traffic if you're not on the network.

If circumventing encryption protocols were this easy, everybody would be doing it. I am sure some service logs all external media activity to disk when disconnected from network and then sends it off as soon as the next network connection is established. Not worth the risk.

>>55246643
>steganography

This is great and everything, and a 340k JPG would certainly look legit... until they try to open it. It only takes freshmen-level forensics to foil a scheme like that. Even I know that you can read the first three bytes of a file to get its MIME type. If that's missing, something's strange.

>>55246735
>External DVD burner perhaps

Does this not count as external media?
>>
>>55246751
>>you could display single characters at a time
>The resulting base64 string is 340kb, so, if my calculations are correct,

Oh yeah, and if one character fucks up anywhere along the decoding process, you have to start all over again.
>>
>>55246751
Well writing data to an optical disc uses a different process than simply copying it to a drive, so it could possibly circumvent the encryption? It's not like an external DVD Burner is expensive, and you can get a slim form factor one that you can hide in a folder with documents or something. It's not like you have anything to lose by trying it out; you fail, you're out $20-40 or whatever the fuck. Big deal.
>>
>>55246751
>This is great and everything, and a 340k JPG would certainly look legit... until they try to open it. It only takes freshmen-level forensics to foil a scheme like that. Even I know that you can read the first three bytes of a file to get its MIME type. If that's missing, something's strange.

hide it in a bigger image. i,e difference between a 2mb image vs a 2.3mb image is very small. And it will still have complete mime tags and legit data at the front of the file. that would pass a test of mime type.

<file> 
<image data that is real>
</ end of image marker>
<zip data appended here>
</zip>
</file>

if you're more paranoid than that, you can hide the data inside the actual image data, within the color bytes for the pixels. it would visually look indistinguishable from an image without the data.
>>
>>55245533
Just encrypt it on the laptop and email it to yourself.

You never said the laptop itself was being monitored.
>>
>>55246751
47 hours doesn't seem like a very long time for this sort of project.
>>
How about you don't try to grossly violate your AUP and potent laws?
>>
File: 1406149973933.jpg (556 KB, 1198x1265) Image search: [Google]
1406149973933.jpg
556 KB, 1198x1265
>>55246908
>Just encrypt it on the laptop and email it to yourself

I've thought about disconnecting from VPN and sending the data over my WiFi, but, as I said, they could be queuing logs to send as soon as the next network connection is made. Too risky even if encrypted.

>>55246920
>47 hours doesn't seem like a very long time for this sort of project

Perhaps not if the decode goes perfectly, but, like I said earlier, all it takes is one character to fail recognition and the entire attempt is shot.

>>55246954
How about you stop being a moralfag?
>>
>>55246751
> 340kb
>47 hours

:/

lets say you can record at 24fps, for arguments sake well say you can do 10 for safety
10 frames per second, means ten characters a second. = 600 frames per minute, and for convenience we're going to call this 500 frames a minute.

assuming utf8? (64 bit encoded) 340 kb = 340000 bytes
bytes to chars in base64 -> 4/3n, where n is the number of bytes.
453333 1/3

lets say 500,000 characters.

500,000 @ 500 frames per minute = 1000 minutes
1000 minutes = 16 2/3 hours.
17 hours.

ish
>>
>>all this thread
>seat offering intensifies
>>
Rename the file?

Attach it to like a file you're supposed to transfer over
>>
>>55247143
Did you get bored with /b/ and decide to go shitpost in another board?
>>
>>55245533
>The laptop is locked down pretty good, so anything copied to external media is encrypted.

Analog hole, niggah.

Just take a picture of the data on the fuckin' screen with your phone. Unless it's too much to deal with that way.

2nd way around is convert the file to audio and play it through the speakers and record it with something else. Decode the audio back into useful data when you get home.
>>
>>55245533
Wouldn't it be possible to physically stop or divert the write commands of any storage controller that you're using?
>>
Is there a video-out port?
>>
>>55247183
>Analog hole

I am puking out of my asshole right now. This is what I have fucking been saying this whole time.
>>
>>55247214
>Is there a video-out port?

It has HDMI, analog, and video port. You think I can use any of these to a nefarious end?
>>
Why would you use OCR to transfer data over video? Why not just draw blocks of sufficiently-distinguishable color to represent the bits and then on the other side align each snapshot and sample pixels from each block to reverse the process?
>>
>>55247260

Sure, hook it up to a TV and then use a capture card. Say you were using the TV as a monitor.
>>
Why is your security so tight?

This isn't you laptop is it?
>>
>>55247260
Recording the screen from the HDMI would be much easier and better for OCR than recording with a cell phone.
>>
>>55245533
Is this... corporate espionage?
>>
>>55247302
OP is probably a security expert fishing for ideas on how his systems can be circumvented. Soon they will start monitoring audio and video jacks for any strange behavior.
>>
>>55247265
Expounding on this, you should be able to come up with at least 16 distinct colors that are easy to accurately recognize. Include a test pattern of 1-16 in order in some part of the image to calibrate. If each color block is say, 4x4 pixels, and you're capturing this over HDMI at 720p60, and we use 1 row to contain calibration and other data (like file position)... Then we have 319 rows * 180 columns * 16 bits for 918,720 bits (112KiB) per frame. If we hold each image for 5 frames as an additional precaution, we can transmit 1.3MiB/s this way.
>>
>>55247344
significant lack of sleep errors in this, but the premise remains the same.
>>
>>55247265
>Why would you use OCR to transfer data over video?

Indeed I have thought of this, but gave up the idea due to the complexity. However, your post has rejuvenated my interest in this. I am a software, so I do have the ability to encode bytes into color. It shouldn't be too hard to read the colors, either, provided I do a lossless capture as compression artifacts could skew my results. I am probably going to experiment with this over the next few weeks. Keep an eye out in /g/ as I will surely post if I am inching closer to my goal.

>>55247302
Espionage is spying. I am not spying on anything.
>>
>>55247426
>Espionage is spying. I am not spying on anything.
Interesting. I'm curious, do you stand to make a profit from this, or is this purely a personal project of sorts? (Not trying to patronize or be a moralfag, at this point I'm just curious)
>>
File: how to bomb the us govt.png (433 KB, 596x646) Image search: [Google]
how to bomb the us govt.png
433 KB, 596x646
>>55247426
>Espionage is spying. I am not spying on anything.
you gonna leak some shit nigga?
>>
>>55247477
Gonna leak my nut into yo mother's vagimagina
>>
File: marijuana eradication league.jpg (45 KB, 500x630) Image search: [Google]
marijuana eradication league.jpg
45 KB, 500x630
>The laptop is locked down pretty good, so anything copied to external media is encrypted
How would I go about doing this on my own linux PC?
>>
you already fucked up by talking about this here bro
my advice, dont risk it just memorize the entire binary file, ur autistic enough that it should be no problem for you
>>
>>55247520
>you already fucked up by talking about this here bro
yeah I'm sure their threat team has a guy paid to browse /g/ 24/7 for mentions of encrypted thumbsticks and audio jacks
>>
File: allgood.jpg (622 KB, 1060x1060) Image search: [Google]
allgood.jpg
622 KB, 1060x1060
>>55247530
you go, bro. you fucken go
>>
Step 1: get admin/root on your laptop
Step 2: disable external media encryption for a single thumb drive
Step 3: erase all traces of copying files to that thumb drive and all traces of that thumb drive ever being used
Step 4: erase all traces of rooting your laptop
Step 5: hope no one was watching your laptop while you did any of this

why do you need something so complex? your network security people will be watching for log entries in their siem which indicate admin activity and depending on the hids they may even notice you rooting your laptop. you are better off "losing" your laptop to some thief.
>>
File: 1412657329010.jpg (164 KB, 1001x602) Image search: [Google]
1412657329010.jpg
164 KB, 1001x602
>>55245533
>convert data files to audible mp3
>connect an audio recorder to the headphone jack
>record the data and take your recorder home
>play back the recorder data, convert it back to your data

If anyone asks, it's mongolian throat singing
>>
>>55247530

WHAT IF HE'S A FINANCE SOFTWARE DEVELOPER AND THEY ARE WATCHING HIS EVERY MOVE :O
>>
File: 1411693993851.gif (1 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1411693993851.gif
1 MB, 400x400
>>55247574
>Step 1: get admin/root on your laptop
>Step 2: disable external media encryption for a single thumb drive
>Step 3: erase all traces of copying files to that thumb drive and all traces of that thumb drive ever being used
>Step 4: erase all traces of rooting your laptop
>Step 5: hope no one was watching your laptop while you did any of this

You should write a how-to manual on how to colonize Pluto. Would go like this:

>Build shuttle
>Get to Pluto
>Colonize
>>
>>55247750

privilege escalation exploits are pretty easy to find and use and most are small programs. if he doesn't know enough about os forensics to hide his tracks then he'll never get away with it.

and yeah, those are the steps to colonize pluto. don't yell at me if you can't figure out how to do those things as i'm not the one who wants to colonize pluto.
>>
Set up a server with a searx.me engine and a custom HTTP server. Measure the size of a regular HTTPS Post request sent to your searx.me instance. Every 2 to 5 minutes, make an HTTPS request to your instance with the content of your requests replaced with as much information as you can without the request weighting more a regular HTTP Post request.
Should be pretty ok, if someone monitoring your traffic asks why you're not using google you can just say that you don't want to be spied on by google.
>>
Depending on the size of the data

If its a small file

>get pen
>get paper
>write data down
>walk out

If large

>get phone
>get photo of data
>get out

If its something thats not a text file and it important and must be held intact:

Most high-tech security systems are circumvented by good old fashioned burglary, get a sky mask and a crowbar.
>>
>>55247606
I second this.
There are 8 notes in an octave. You use two octaves and you have hex in musical form. You play each note as a tone and record that. If you're playing straight tones it should be easy for software to recognize each note.
>>
>>55248246
can i play gay tones?
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.