[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is system admin still a good career option for someone who just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: 543256213.jpg (42 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
543256213.jpg
42 KB, 500x337
is system admin still a good career option for someone who just wants to be left alone by normies in peace, surrounded by server racks? it's always been by dream job, but then i gave it up after everyone saying it's far from what you see in the movies.
How hard is it to find a job like that? where i'll be alone most of the day, sitting in a cool hacker-type dark room, surrounded by servers and their mesmerizing ambient noise, playing halo or browsing the net, maybe occasionally the boss will call for some server issue that i'd fix in 5 min then go back to chilling.
>>
fuck off to /adv/, you retarded nigger.
>>
>>55243704
wtf.... what's your problem dude? take your psycho pills ok?
>>
>>55243704
what does /adv/ know about computers? loser.
>>
>>55243681
are you me? I'm 30 and still waiting...
I should just end myself :^(
>>
>>55243894
yeah i'm 27 NEET and still waiting too..
>>
no.

You need to have some soft skills and be willing to communicate with others effectively and politely. If you have rudimentary tech skills and you're not a sperg, you'll be fine
>>
>>55243681
It's a job whose pleasantness scales directly with how good you are. If you're a unix wizard and put a bit of effort into building and maintaining stable, well-designed systems your life can be pretty easy.

On the other hand, if you're a retard and don't really know what you're doing expect hours of frustration and a lot of 2AM phone calls.
>>
>>55243681
the worse you are at being a sysadmin the more you will have to interact with people as they complain about shit breaking
>>
>>55243681
>left alone by normies in peace, surrounded by server racks?

Wrong career if you're a server admin be prepared for people bitching at you
>>
I am an IT support monkey and that is main aim
>>
>>55244022
Fuck that. If they know you're good you'll get most of the work since everyone will know you can get chit done.
>>
>>55244005
what's unix?
i thought they all use windows server 2012 or is it ver 2016 now?
and why would they call me at 2am? screw them, i have rights.
>>
File: 1466698491052.png (26 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
1466698491052.png
26 KB, 527x409
>>55244064
>>
>>55244126
no it's not, i just dont like linux/unix trash, i prefer windows server coz it's more straightforward, days are passed when i liked computers, those were the young naive me days, so full of passion and ignorance, i know better now and i just want to be left alone in peace and chill till the world ends.
>>
>>55244157
Yeah I think you're probably better suited for a position as a janitor
>>
>>55244157
Yea man, do whatever you want, but I don't think a windows install will last until the world ends... You might have some stability issues, mental issues or corruption...
>>55244221
Janitor at a tech facility? Best of both worlds?
>>
>>55243681
sysadmin here, you are talking about being a noc tech.

Sysadmins work with other people.
>>
>>55244157
sysadmin here, our operations infrastructure is windows, our desktops/laptops are all windows, but 90% of the hardware in the datacenter is unix (AIX, hpux, solaris) or linux
>>
>>55243704
Small penis alert
>>
>>55244157
Unix machines last forever without needing a reboot. I've had quite a few *nix boxes that only ever rebooted when the DC lost power due to city cutting the power for longer than our generators would run (once every couple of years).

Windows needs to be rebooted at least once a month.
>>
>>55243681
lol yeah i f*cking hate le normies too XD

fuck off kid
>>
>>55244494
2/10 troll.
kid
>>
>>55244412
windows machines can last 'forever' as well. Enterprises don't launch windows update every Tuesday and just click install, the vast majority of patches are simply not needed, even criticals if the firewall and network segmentation renders the risk a non issue. I've got over 1000 windows servers at my shop, and we go through each update to decide who needs it and who doesnt, and then release it to the servers operators and say you have X amount of days to get it installed. Most shops following compliance pretty much give yourself a month or more to install patches, mostly quarterly patching is used. That gives you time to install it on your dev and qa branches to test.

Running windows machines means you need to know powershell to stay relevant. When you manage linux machines you are expected to be able to be a software developer at the same time since you have to basically handle everything yourself.
>>
>>55244568
Your enterprise is run by retards, must not have a silicon valley office, baka.
>>
>>55244586
No, that is how it works in the real world buddy. You must watch too many shows about startups.
>>
>>55244607
I'm a sysadmin you cum guzzling queer.

Your patch management is ridiculous, overly granular and puts you at risk for security vulnerabilities.

Your IT department is fucking idiots.

I manage windows, linux, unix servers in a mixed environment (4 different physical datacenters).

Scripting is as useful in windows as it is in *nix. my perl is not as strong as my powershell, but still, no need to be a dev to work on linux.

You are probably one of those idiots with powershell "scripts" that are just a bunch of commands row after row.
>>
>>55244661
>>55244607

i see you guys are the real deal, so let me ask you two questions.
How does it feel to be living the dream?
and,
Are you living the dream, or it it all just over-glorified BS?
>>
>>55244661
Again, you aren't really making a point. I've got 2 datacenters with one DR, and locations all over the country.

Again, we have over 1000 servers and you are showing how ignorant you are if you think quarterly patching is ridiculous. We use powershell for wsus mangement and reporting, deploying, AD management, security, etc.

You aren't fooling me. Explain to me your patch management schedule for your 1000+ machine infrastructure. That's 1000 servers not even counting endpoints. What compliances do you have to audit for?
>>
>>55244690
I work security, I am not a ticket jokey
>>
>>55244690
I spend 99% of my time outside of the DC, I only go in to rack shit or replace dead drives.

The rest of my time is spent responding to e-mails, doing mail traces, talking to engineers, talking to my buddies, getting snacks, talking with legal, writing scripts, teaching techs, and doing tech support for executives because they think they are too good to deal with techs, even though they know how to fix someone's outlook better than I do.
>>
>>55243704
fuckin kek
>>
>>55244704
>compliance

What country are you from anon?
>>
>>55244704
Our patch management is done by a guy in the uk, he also deals with all compliance shit.
>>
>>55244728
America, we have certain rules to follow if you handle credit card data and medical data, among other things
>>
>>55243681
yes
>>
>>55244792
>Honestly thinks that everyone has to deal with that.
>>
>>55244728
We're b2b so no credit card information is exchanged, nor do we do anything with medical records since we are a software company, thus no need for compliance.

It sounds like you work for a government agency, I used to work for the state, bunch of extra busy work for IT staffs that are easily 3x the size they need to be.
>>
>>55244872
No, I work for a food manufacturing company. We have 40 people in operations not counting the bullshit help desk people or remote people. Heavily understaffed. And I said before, I work in security not a ticket jockey
>>
guess this answers OP's question:
http://www.esecurityplanet.com/network-security/79-percent-of-it-administrators-want-to-quit-due-to-stress.html

i pity the poor f***ers who chose this for a job.
>>
>>55243681
Yeah, that will never happen...
>>
>>55243681
Here's a way to achieve what you want:

1: start datacenter
2: become rich
3: hand off majority of executive work to another owner
4: sit in server room all day jerking off and delegating things you don't like

But seriously, I thought datacenters were loud as fuck with all the fans they run. Seems like it wouldn't be that fun. A loud, bright, sterile warehouse is not my idea of a good time.
>>
>>55244568
What are you using for patch enforcement? Direct NAP, SCCM, something else?

>>55244607
> overly granular and puts you at risk for security vulnerabilities.
Not that anon, but we have a few thousand machines that are also patched this way, or not at all. Most of them are PCB testers. You get to a certain patch level, validate it, and don't touch shit until you absolutely have to, because consistency in production.

Same with production servers. Patches go though a test, small selection, single cluster (10 machines or so) region, and org.

Any deviation from this increases risk. Like a fault condition causing PAM to break on an Exchange cluster, dropping a DAG, and breaking mail for about 6500 people.

Not that I've ever had to sit on one of those bridge calls or anything...
>>
>>55245578
>loud as fuck with all the fans they run
Yes, this is correct. I spent about 8 months working in a DC, and even with the earbud protectors, I have some hearing loss. Not a lot, but some.
>>
holy **** there is like a thousand replies full of suicidal sys admins venting their anger:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1b6fuh/most_it_admins_considering_quitting_due_to_stress/

OP, drop this idea right now!!!
>>
>>55244921
>40 people
>operations
>understaffed
>2 datacenters

you fuckers are overstaffed by at least 20 people.
>>
>>55245760
>you fuckers are overstaffed by at least 20 people.
Found someone else who's never worked in operations.
>>
>>55243681
Depending on the size of the company. Sysadmin can mean a lot of things.
Source: I'm a sysadmin at a ~300 person company and am a ticket monkey who has to deal with people constantly
>>
>>55245744
B-but /g/ said I'd get to shitpost and watch animu all day with a sysadmin job! I already quit college because of this, you cant bring this shit up just now!
>>
>>55245840
>tfw i actually quit dental prostheses technology for this
kill me...
>>
>>55243681
>sysadmin
>left alone
Pick one
>>
just be a 3rd shift janitor you faggot or learn to talk to people without being a weirdo. its our world famalam, get used to it brotato
>>
Well then, what tech job actually either keeps human interaction at mimimum or lets you slack around all day?
>>
>>55245989
AI psychologist.
>>
>>55245989
what you're describing is being an unemployed sperg
>>
>>55245989
Being a NEET and shit posting on /g/
>>
>>55245578

Just insall noctua fans and its like a Library
>>
>>55243681
Ex-sysadmin here, sysadmins need to deal with other people, sorry. See >>55244355
>>
>>55245989
Literally nothing.
It sucks, but turns out every single job requires a reasonable amount of human interaction.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.