[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Electricfag here >Solar energy. We know the hardest thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: wht the fuck not.jpg (10 KB, 275x200) Image search: [Google]
wht the fuck not.jpg
10 KB, 275x200
Electricfag here

>Solar energy.
We know the hardest thing with enery is how to store it, so since solar output is at it's peak during the day when demand is low and vice versa demand is high during night when no sun is up, why don't they use the exeeding electricity during the day to divide hydrogen and oxygen from water, store hydrogen and burn it back into water during night to produce energy?

Same quantity of oxygen is produced when extracting hydr. than you need to burn it back into water
No CO2 emission
Ofc no 100% efficiency but is still better than expensive big ass lithium battery in each house

Tell me why i'm an idiot /g/
>>
Ps if someone gets rich because of me imma an hero
>>
>>55239713
we are retards who only shitpost about loonix and various graphics cards
better ask /sci/
>>
>>55239746
Hydrogen is dangerous to store maybe?
>>
could you really produce enough energy via solar to efficiently split molecules
>>
>inb4 some retard says solar just isn't efficient enough
Solar technologies get more advanced every year!
>>
because it is ridiculously inefficient.

stay in school
>>
>>55239762
>implying other flammable gasses are easy to store
>>
>>55239769
Nigga they filled a tank with 40 bars of hydrogen with 2 40W panels on youtube

You can split water with your car's battery, that aint fast but you can do it
>>
for a start, peak electrical usage is during the day, assuming we go with renewable energy as a primary source we only need a few power/wind plants at night to sustain off-peak usage

secondly, industrial storage of energy isn't batteries, they pump water up hill into vast reservoirs which while not the most efficient thing in the world, it literally only needs somebody to pull a plug before you get massive controllable power generation

the primary issue with solar is that it's not a good suit for main grid generation because transporting energy is harder than storing it and if you build massive solar farms say in the middle of a desert like arizona verus on top of every bodies house in europe you now have massive infrastructural problems of getting that power to where people need it

but of course the biggest thing for solar is that it'll supply the demand when the demand is needed allowing us to massively scale down polluting power plants like coal and natural gas
>>
>>55239793
Tell me how dumbass
You're litterally using the electricity produced in exess during the day, otherwise wasted

Get back to your "specs thread" faggot
>>
>>55239850
Peak is during night
Maybe industrial peak is during day yes, but night means street lights, house lights, tvs and everything

Also you can do the water thing if you have a mountain and a biss ass mass of water near you
They punp water back up in dyke
>>
>>55239794
Solar water heaters are a thing
>>
>>55239902
Not him but the peak is during the day, this is the reason why energy cost less during the night.
>>
>>55241485
This.
Also
http://www.solarreserve.com/en/technology/molten-salt-energy-storage
>>
>>55239902
Peak is absolutely during the day. Industry uses over 40% of the total power in the world, while residential is under 30%. Commercial and public services use around 25% and except for street lights they are mostly only open during the day.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_energy_consumption
>>
Low efficency to convert and costfull to store. Simple as that.
>>
>>55239713
You store it in battery banks at your house for night use.
>>
>>55239713
>burn oxygen/hydrogen into water
Something doesn't add up here
>>
Real question is why aren't we looking more into collecting energy from charged ions in the air?
>>
>>55243083
>burn/combust
>to react with oxygen

What's so hard to get, you literally get torches that use tanks of them, with the only product being heat and water
>>
something about giant tanks of explosive gasses makes me nervous
>>
>>55239713
There are massive flywheel farms which store energy pretty well
>>
>>55239713
>/g/ is now THIS FUCKING DUMB
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell#Types_of_fuel_cell
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.