[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
From knowing nothing about coding to programming Augmented/Mixed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: augmented reality.jpg (214 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
augmented reality.jpg
214 KB, 1600x900
i have recently been binge watching videos on the recent rise of augmented,virtual, and mixed reality software and i am really inspired. the thing is i don't know a damn thing about coding/programming, let alone making augmented/mixed reality stuff, not only that but i'm also interested in programming my own games along the way and hosting them up for free on my own website (that i will eventually make when i learn to program...) i have done some research and i at least know that i want to program in Python but i guess it boils down to; how do i go from knowing nothing to programming in Augmented and Mixed reality with all the other stuff i included along the way? is there other stuff about the augmented/Mixed reality scene that i missed? Any further insight i overlooked?

(also i'm not interested in Virtual Reality at all)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4qxfFPgqdc
>>
>>55237153
>>
>>55237153
Step 1: Leave /g/
Step 2: Never, ever come back.
Step 3: Look up some tutorials, courses, classes... It doesn't matter as long as you stay away from this shithole full of children.
Step 4: ?
>>
>>55237153
Let me walk you through it
> learn c#
>learn basic computer theories
>go to groups and schools about coding
>learn about computer games
>learn how much more different they are to actually make
>get designers and artists to help make models and sprites
>learn ruby/html/JavaScript
>make the website
>commercialize and distribute the game
>realize you are an idiot and are now broke and the game sucks
>kill self
>>
>>55237622
op here

>your monologue

it seems like you have experience with this subject, no?
>>
why is there a thread on this everyday? you just have to DO IT. don't think about planning a fuckin syllabus on it.
>>
File: Bitchc.png (59 KB, 713x340) Image search: [Google]
Bitchc.png
59 KB, 713x340
>>55237153
Learn to code bro and be the change you want to see in this world, start simple like child stuff from code.org.
IMG >>> Also I had this idea like four years ago and have a working demo app.
>>
>>55237802
op here

do you mind me asking what kind of software your working on?
>>
>>55237866
If you can't get the difference between "your" and "you're" right, you're going to have one hell of a hard time building software.
>>
File: techknowsmarts-scratch-1.jpg (113 KB, 1364x708) Image search: [Google]
techknowsmarts-scratch-1.jpg
113 KB, 1364x708
>>55237866
It was some basic AR using an android framework. Was going to build a nature trail and let people download an app that would allow them to see CG dinos when they pointed their camera at QR codes on posts. I have some of the placeholder models on another computer and some old source code on another old Windows machine.

It wasn't that hard to setup, the real problem was getting the 3D models to play nice with android. But Unity and AR Frameworks have come a lot farther since then. If you want to learn some programming checkout the really basic graphical programming like Scratch and then move up into Javascript, C#, Python or Java.
>>
>>55237886
op here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ you're being a bit pretentious when your main gripe with a lifestyle choices are grammatical errors
>>
>>55237382
THIS
>>
>>55238086
When did I say that was my "main gripe with lifestyle choices"?

Software development requires a very high attention to detail. You can say "ah but you knew what I meant when I said 'your'" to a human, and you'd be right, but the computer isn't going to give a fuck what you meant in your head, it only knows exactly what you typed.
>>
You don't need to know a lot of programming to do it but you should obviously learn some.
When you know the basics of programming (syntax, how to compile/link and run the program), you can start to make projects related to AR.
Through this, practice with assignments in image processing.
Then you should learn about computer vision.
CV teaches you about how to interpret images.
You might want to study AI and machine learning.
AI teaches you about optimizing a problem you don't know how to optimize, ML teaches you about how to make decisions and classifications.

What you see in the image is a camera which takes a picture, that picture is then analyzed and the dinosaur is recognized as the object you are looking at.
That dinosaur is then matched to a database of dinosaurs and the name of the dinosaur is returned.
Then the wikipedia article (or whatever) is shown to the side.

Fetching a wikipedia article is not a hard problem. Making the UI is also not that hard.
You could learn how to do those basics first if you want, it would be a great excercise, especially if you have never done anything like it.
For someone who have never done anything like this, just building that part will take a long time.
Then you should expand.
First you do some easy problems. Like detecting the english name of the color and the name of a basic shape.
Along the way, you will gain enough insight so other people would be willing to talk to you and then you can collaborate with people who are a lot further than you, so you can advance faster.
>>
>>55239617
op here

i didn't know if you were being a grammar Nazi or actually trying to help, since trolls are more common i went down that route with my reply. but yeah, your right
>>
Op just delete your thread. You're going no where. I've taken 3D graphics courses in Uni. It's pretty fucked up the way it works. I can only imagine virtual reality is more fucked.
>>
>>55241727
>going nowhere

so there is no outlet for a hobbyist interested in augmented and mixed reality?

>virtual reality is more fucked up

one of the reasons i'm just sticking to augmented/mixed reality
>>
File: brexit_kek.jpg (56 KB, 750x491) Image search: [Google]
brexit_kek.jpg
56 KB, 750x491
>>55237382
this
>>
>>55242471
if you're serious, you have a long journey op. computer graphics is a huge field with years of enthusiastic people making great advancements. augmented reality is the cutting edge of that field.

theres no one role where you can do everything, so pick your poison (seems you want to do the art mostly) and make it your life passion.
>>
>>55237675
rude, very rude
>>
>>55243341
>rude

sorry, i was being genuine, i thought you had the same expirence...b8yyvytctiyctt sorry...

>>55243331
>if your serious
i am!
>you have a long journey ahead
lol, why? it can't be that hard can it?
>huge field, years of people
>augmented reality is at the cutting edge
-_- well damn i had not been aware, might have to throw away all my inspiration
>pick your posion
not to sound like a naive little shit, but is even making a simple augmented reality game hard as fuck? is stuff like google glass and hololens alien technology from another world when compared to a pleb like me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p57ZHnR0QlE

i see stuff like this and get really euphoric about the possibilities, and it seemed like a relatively easy thing to tackle for an ankle biter like me, but ya make it seem as if life is waiting around the corner to bodyslam me into the reality of the fact of how in over my head i am. can someone give it to me straighter than a slope without a y-intercept? what will it take me to be at least decent? can using software like Blender allow me to take shortcuts to what i want or do i just not know what i'm talking about?

(all things considered, thanks for the advice you all have given me)
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.